Question on fork replacement.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Question on fork replacement.

Hi guys,

I have an 2008 Ibex Ignition 2 that the fork is totally worn out. It's not my main ride any more, but I'd like to get something to replace the fork that can at least do the job better than the springy setup I have now. It doesn't need to be the latest greatest product on the shelves, as the bike probably isn't worth that much. The current fork is a Manitou Relic. Here's a link to the specs... Click Here. It's supposed to be a 130mm travel fork. I was looking at replacing it with the Rockshox 30 Silver TK. Which is a 100mm travel fork. Click here for the link. I've never replaced a fork before, so I'm not completely sure that I have selected a fork that will be compatible. That's where I need your expertise. Will the 100mm RockShox work in place of the 130mm relic? What will the difference in travel make in the bike? Will that lower the front of the bike down 30mm? Or does that measurement only apply to the travel? Is there any other measurements I need to be concerned with? Thanks in advance for the help! Oh and if you have any other suggestions for front forks, I'd be happy to hear them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The key measurement you need to compare between the two forks is the axle-to-crown length, or A2C. Shorter travel forks generally have a shorter A2C, but it's not typically a 1:1 change. A shorter A2C will lower the front end, steepen the HTA and drop the BB. There are online geometry calculators out there that will estimate how much the geometry will change with the shorter fork. An A2C difference of <10 mm probably won't have a noticeable effect on the bike's handling, 10-20 mm will be noticeable but might be OK for a bike you don't ride much, 20 mm or more is not advised.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I would probably be shooting for a 120 - 140mm fork, generally 10mm or less is negligible. Dropping a full inch on the front is almost always noticeable. If you're just going to be cruising around, it may not matter much, but that steepens up the HT angle quite a bit and would change the way the bike rides.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Great advice guys. I don't think that particular RockShox will work for me then. Any advice on where to find a budget fork that'll work? I'm new to shopping for bike parts, so I haven't figured out the sites with the best selection.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    For straight-steerer forks, ebay is probably your best bet. Unfortunately, AFAIK no one has made a 26", straight 1-1/8th steerer, 9 mm QR, 120+ travel fork for many years. X-Fusion might still make something IIRC, but don't quote me on that.

You might even consider looking for 29er forks. A 100 mm 29er fork is probably going to have about the same A2C as a 130 mm 26er fork. It'll look a little weird with the small wheel in there and the offset might not be quite right, but for this bike it would work.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post
    For straight-steerer forks, ebay is probably your best bet. Unfortunately, AFAIK no one has made a 26", straight 1-1/8th steerer, 9 mm QR, 120+ travel fork for many years. X-Fusion might still make something IIRC, but don't quote me on that.
    There's 2 colors of this one on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Fusion-En...P/113673858313

I haven't ever used this model so can't comment on function or servicing at all. I briefly looked and didn't see much else on there right now unless the OP would want to shell out $400+ for an older Fox.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by RMCDan View Post

You might even consider looking for 29er forks. A 100 mm 29er fork is probably going to have about the same A2C as a 130 mm 26er fork. It'll look a little weird with the small wheel in there and the offset might not be quite right, but for this bike it would work.
    I was wondering if that would work. Would it be possible to use a 27.5?

Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    There's 2 colors of this one on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Fusion-En...P/113673858313

I haven't ever used this model so can't comment on function or servicing at all. I briefly looked and didn't see much else on there right now unless the OP would want to shell out $400+ for an older Fox.
    That's a great find. I asked the seller what the A2C is. Waiting to hear back from him. That's about what I want to spend. I definitely don't want to put a $400 fork on this bike. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaBro View Post
    Would it be possible to use a 27.5?
    Yes, but you're less likely to find one that isn't tapered. Not many straight-steerer 27.5 forks were produced, IIRC. Whereas, a lot of short-travel 29er forks were made before the switch to tapered steer tubes.

Personally, I'd jump on that Ebay Enix.

mtbr member
    RockShox still makes new 26" straight steerer forks in their Reba and Recon series. Not sure about all of the travel options, but I had purchased a Recon in 130mm last year for an old XC bike I still have. But... probably nothing for less than $225-250 new.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

monster member
    I just learned about Manitou Markhor which has lots of straight 1-1/8" tube offerings. It looks pretty good to me, for a backup bike, so I came into this subforum to ask a question about this fork specific to my needs. But it seems to be a fairly light 100mm fork that's convertible to 80mm or 120mm. And, if you got a 27.5 fork at 100mm, you can adjust it to have the height you like. Plus, your bike would probably be really cool to later set the fork to only 100mm or so and get a 27.5" wheel which might get it back near the same angle as 130mm fork with 26" wheel. (But haven't done the math, so hopefully others will chime in about that idea.)
    Have fun!