Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your 26er Pics

283K views 1K replies 586 participants last post by  Vepr54r 
#1 · (Edited)
I figured I might as well start this since someone will.

My everyday ride...

Only took me 5 years to post bike details, but...
1992 Serotta T-Max
Size:44L
Columbus Max tubing, Ritchey dropouts
2x8 13-40 with RoadLink. Was 2x7 13-34.
XT derailleurs, XTR canti's, Marzocchi Z3 bomber fork, Bontrager Race 600 bar, Matrix Mt. Titan rims, DX-650 hubs.
Built from a used frame in 2014.
Weighs 27.0 lbs (with platforms).

John

Admin Note:
Hey boys and girls how about full discloser on year / brand / model and how long in service.
- Klurejr via DJ :thumbsup:

Attachments

See less See more
#59 ·
That's very nice! Along with a lot of other nice bikes here. I think that stem is one of DMR stems. I just put one on this bike. I just made some changes to it so my GF can ride it. The fork was on a different bike, so I needed a very short stem with a really low stack height, because the steerer was to short. All I have to do is cut the seatpost and it's getting a Spinergy Enduro wheelset from another bike of mine.

#108 ·
I set up these new Derby tubless with some new Fire XC Pro 2.1s. But for some reason they just pop off the rims anywhere from 25 to 35psi. So, I tore them apart and installed some WTB Mutano race 2.4s. So far so good at 25 psi. All I have to do is switch the cassette from my other wheel and make sure the rear derailer is adjuster properly.

#118 ·
It's amazing to me when you skim this thread. All the high quality 26'ers still out in use. Why buy a new clown wheeled bike when you can ride a high quality fun ride for years and years. Such as what's displayed here in front of us. It cracks me up how many people that buy into the new hype every year. Money wasted every year that could have been spent elsewhere. Such as a mtb vacation or family matters.

Reactions: GT2005
#129 ·
Sometimes, when I spend too much time reading about bikes on the internet and not, you know, actually riding bikes, I get to feeling like my bike is old-fashioned.

I mean, it's got a heavy coil fork.

It's got a 3x9 drivetrain (ewww!).

It's got these tiny little wheels.

But I have managed to strap a few modern parts on her.

I'm not a "26 or die" person, but man oh man does this bike put a big smile on my face each and every time.

Reactions: GT2005
#160 ·
I'll play.

Custom little Wraith play bike by my buddy Daren in N. Conway NH. Sub-15" chainstays but will fit a 2.4" tire, EBB, super tight. Gets changed up into all sorts of fun incarnations. So wrong it's right.

08ish Sinister Shenanigan. 165/170 rig. (Basically a Devinci Hectik.) Fun bike; used it as my main bike for a pretty long stretch and it's a solid all-arounder that can easily take a lot more than I could ever throw at it.

05/06 Sinister DNA. Frank the Welder built DJ/park bike. I can't begin to do this bike justice.

6" Wraith Sofaking custom w/a scavenger build. Single pivot, idler, floating brake, my current favorite. If you can't have a good time on this bike, you have no soul.

Way old pic, but this frame is still around as a pumptrack/DJ build. Aztech Flying Polack, basically a steel P-bike with horizontal drops and a derailleur hanger. Something another friend built. Ran it as a trail bike for a season and it held it's own. Damn near indestructible; another keeper.

I still have this frame around and plan to revive it for my son (he's about ready to move up from 24" on mtbs). Another Frank the Welder creation, (along with Mickey from Spooky). Usually ran it with an air adustable platform air shock and set up as a trail bike. That turnbuckle gizmo along with a couple different shock mount positions, and a little fiddling, you can run it as a ~110-140 travel and adjust the angles infinitely between high and tight to wicked slack. The most 'tweakable' bike I've ever owned or probably come across.

Still got this 95 DB Axis, Logic 853 tubes, Breezer drops, 1 of 500. about as close as you can get to a real Ritchey. Still got the Spin wheels and all. Could never bring myself to ditch it.

Not mine in the pic, but I have one of these running too. Same color and similar build. 06 Turner DHR

Besides those, the wife has a 06 Enduro, the kid inherited a sick 09 or '10 carbon Mojo SL complete from my father (who went to the dark side and built himself a Niner for his 70th b'day), usually have a few random loaners/giveaways looking to be re-homed, even got one of these collecting dust in the shed - 87 Bridgestone.

#162 ·
It always amazed me how similar Ventanas were to Turners back in the day. Basically the same frames. This DH version a bit tweaked and a little different than Turner. But their other models were almost identical.

Abe nice ride by the way. :cool:

#163 ·
Thanks Dirtjunkie! Even though its design is now sorta old school I enjoy riding it and feel really comfortable in it. They only thing that felt a little bit off at first was the wee bit extra height on the bb, but I got used to it pretty quickly. Here is a recent video of me having some fun with "LA BRUJA"!

#175 ·
Thanks. Reasons I want to change them: I'd like to shed some weight (they're old square taper Aceras) and more importantly with my 29" inseam I'd like to shorten to a 170. But i don't want those things badly enough to spend the money on them...yet.

BlueSky has SLX sets for $109 which is tempting...maybe we'll see what's out there next spring. I like to do a little something each year. Or if I ride enough maybe I'll pull the trigger on a full suspension frame or complete instead. Time will tell.

#189 ·
Finally got a good picture of my 91 Trek 950, almost entirely stock. WTB rocket V saddle, wellago flats and Salsa QRs. Besides obvious wear items, the rest is still as the day I bought it 24 years ago although I think I'm going to change out the stem and bars to something a little wider and more modern. Still ride the bike once a week during summer and fall. After I get the cockpit a little refreshed I'm thinking some wheels built to fit a 10speed cassette and then going 2x10.

#199 ·
Finally got a good picture of my 91 Trek 950, almost entirely stock. WTB rocket V saddle, wellago flats and Salsa QRs. Besides obvious wear items, the rest is still as the day I bought it 24 years ago although I think I'm going to change out the stem and bars to something a little wider

Fantastic! How nice does that lugged True Temper frame ride? Have the same frame on my 1991 970 and pretty much all stock except for the bars. Couldn't handle 20.5" wide bars. Had to add a few inches. Good to see another lugged singletrack being loved. They built those bikes right.

#214 · (Edited)
My 2008 Specialized Epic Custom Build

Not all my parts are high end but I think I did pretty good for my first time doing something like this. I bought the frame and just started buying parts to build this bike.
Parts list:
2008 Specialized Epic Frame
TruVativ X9 GXP 3.3 Crankset - Triple
SHIMANO 11-36T CS-HG81-10 Speed Bike Cassette Mountain Mtb Hyper Glide
SRAM X-9 Trigger Shifter Lever Set 3 x 10 Speed
SRAM X.9 10-Speed Rear Derailleur Cage (Red, Long)
Jagwire 4mm LEX Bicycle Shift Cable Housing (Red)
SRAM Locking Grips with Clamps and Plugs
DNM Mountain Bike Dropper Seatpost Remote Lockout
LVWA HB031L 620x120 3K Full Carbon Fiber MTB Bike Handlebar Plus Stem
KMC X10 Bicycle Chain (Ti Gold)
VUELTA ZEROLITE MTB PRO 26" Wheelset
Planet Bike Protege 9.0 Wireless 9-Function Bike Computer
Continental Trail King MTB Bicycle Tire 26-Inch x 2.4 -Inch
Stans-No Tubes Standard UST Tubeless Kit
RockShox XC32TK Crown Adjust Solo 100mm Air Fork
Roswheel® Brand Thick Comfort Gel Bicycle Bike Cycling Universal Seat Saddle
2014 Sram Avid Db1 MTB Hydraulic Brake Set Front and Rear

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame
Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Spoke Bicycle part
Bicycle accessory Carmine Motorcycle accessories Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar
Bicycle frame Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle
Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory Bicycle
Bicycle accessory Technology Bicycle handlebar Electronic device Bicycle part
Bicycle part Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Bicycle

Attachments

#261 ·
Black and White and Red all over

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Wheel Bicycle wheel
Bicycle accessory Technology Iron Machine Metal
Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Mode of transport Bicycle wheel rim
Mode of transport Bicycle part Bicycle frame Transport Bicycle accessory
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Spoke
Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Line
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part Automotive tire
Bicycle part Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle chain Crankset Bicycle
Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame
Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle wheel
Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle part Bicycle wheel Spoke
Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle accessory
Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle tire Bicycle handlebar
Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycle Bicycle handlebar
Bicycle part Bicycle chain Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle tire Crankset
Bicycle part Bicycle saddle Bicycle accessory Bicycle Bicycle frame

Rockshox Revelation XX World Cup Dual Position 150mm/130mm adjustable on the fly travel and fork has handlebar mounted lockout (Custom painted black)
Roval Control Carbon SL 26 Wheelset
Upgraded Rear shock to 2012 Fox Brain with Kashima Coat 140mm travel
Specialized Ground Control front, The Captain rear
SRAM X01 drivetrain
SRAM Guide RSC brakeset
SRAM Centerline rotors 180/160
SRAM S2200Carbon crankset
Homebrewed components 28t Titanium chainring
Shimano Pro Turnix AF Carbon saddle
KS Lev Ti Dropper post
Raceface Next 35mm x 760mm Handlebars
Raceface Atlas 35mm x 65mm Stem
Raceface grips

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.