Options on 100mm forks.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Options on 100mm forks.

I have gotten back into riding after a long slumber. I have a sweet Titus Titanium Racer X and decided to upgrade the drive train to 1 x 12. Then after a few rides I started to notice the rear shock was not performing as it should when set on the firm setting. That one is easy enough to address. But it got me thinking about the front and updating the fork.

Are there really no good options to replace my Fox fork with a modern replacement? Ouch! Seems its to old to have Fox service it as well. There is nothing wrong with it at the moment except it is the Fox Float RLC which has an adjustable travel that I never use. I would prefer to have a set 100mm fork as that is where I use it and maybe save a little weight.

Options on 100mm forks.-titus.jpg

Sneaker man
    Since you have discs, its easier than with rim brakes!
    I think if you go to the fox website and in the fork chooser, you can start clicking options and you can still get a straight 1-1/8 steerer 100mm fork (well you could a while back).
    Next option is to trowel ebay for NOS stuff, there is stuff that can still be bought, I picked up a NOS Manitou R7 last year for not much. I am sure there is other stuff...
    Then you move onto the 2nd hand stuff, and hopefully pick up a lightly used bargain...or a trashed non bargain.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    You can service it yourself. Just go to the motorbike shop and get some 10wt fork oil as it is much cheaper there than the bicycle shops. You probably should also replace the dust seals and foam rings and they are available in generic service kits in 32,34,25mm etc. Don't bother pulling apart all the components of the damper side unless you really know what you are doing. A basic service like this will really fix about 90% of all old forks. There are quite a few general fork maintenance videos and webpages to talk you through it on line. I've done this basic service on 3 forks in the past week and all were over 15 years old and had never been serviced, and they all came back like new. I was careful removing the dust seals and only one fork needed new seals, and same with the foam rings. Too many people over service forks and waste money
    Last edited by Athol; 1 Week Ago at 05:27 PM.

Bikes in jeans
    You're pretty much at ebay these days for a high end 26in fork with a 1 1/8in steerer.

It's not a bad fork though so if basic maintenance can fix it, that's what I would do personally.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    A few years ago my shop found me a new Manitau Minute 100mm 26" fork.
    Have you tried going thru an LBS to see if they can locate something?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the replies. As jestep & Athol mentioned maybe a good service and its good to go. Like I said there is not any problem with it. Just have the upgrade bug.

What LBS? Sorry Im a noob or old or both!

Sneaker man
    LBS = Local Bike Shop
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I was in the same situation at you, luckily, my local fox dealer had some sweet 2016 F32 Factory straight steerer forks left, NOS. Picked up 2, my friend picked another one. That was done last year, heard all the stocks are gone now... Why don't you call up your fox dealer and check?

mtbr member
    You can prob pick up a Reba RL w a straight steerer and 9mm QR.

I am looking at one myself but I wonder if it will perform as well as my 2008 Fox Talas that I just rebuilt. It is a newer design... what do ya'll think?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    https://www.treefortbikes.com/Manito...130mm-Straight I have this fork on my 2003 Giant I rebuilt a few years ago, it is smooth as butter. They also have a 100 mm with a straight steerer.

like I said I have the 130 mm and love it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Manitou Markhor and a couple Suntour air spring, straight steerer models are still being made, unfortunately they are all out of stock at the moment due to the COVID-induced craze for all things bike-related. That said, you can find the Markhor on Alibaba and a few EU websites. But if you can wait they'll be back in stock in the U.S. around mid-September.

I'd try a basic seals/wipers/fluid service on the existing fork first though. Very easy to do at home.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    First off, nice Titus!

Second, you're not alone in your situation. I came back from a decade-off of MTBing and brought back 4 mothballed bikes only to find how much the MTB world has moved-on, and how few good 1-1/8" steerer 26" forks 1) were being made, and 2) are available on the market that was obviously not prepared for this surge of people wanting bikes, and bringing old bikes back online.

That said, 100mm and 9mm QR is decidely more mainstream than what I was searching for. This would have been a feasible option for me at 120mm+ and with a 15mm or 20mm thru-axle:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-X-Fusio...r-Taper-9mmQR/

(Supposedly the X-Fusion was born from some ex-Fox folks, from what I've been told.)

It also needs to be said that international shipping will take about a month, mostly due to customs.

I'd just rebuild that Fox for the time being if I were you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I wouldn’t mind just doing a maintenance kit if I could find one! Anyone know where to get the talas or rlc kit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Try Fox

mtbr member
    I've had a great experience with my Manitou Markhor 26er straight steer fork. It comes stock with Kwik Toggle damper and you can get a remote lock out for it. They have an upgrade kit to switch the damper to their ABS+ damping system which gives it even better small bump sensitivity. That combo can be had for less than $300. They also have R7 MRD and Pro options on the market if you need an even lighter fork that the Markhor in a straight steer- I've seen those on eBay for $300 - $400.

The ABS+ system is fully serviceable, essentially a lifetime fork. Go get yourself one. Here is the eBay ad for the R7 Pro and MRD versions. https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-2020-Ma...5/323362661212
    I race XC with a 2005 Raleigh M80. Yes, I really do.