Newly-built 2008 Titus Motolite!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2019

Cool-blue Rhythm Newly-built 2008 Titus Motolite!

I recently found and purchased a NOS 2008 Titus Motolite frame from a seller in China (of all places) and just built it up. For the price I'd paid with a new X-Fusion Velvet RL2 fork, 11-speed shifter/deraileur, Works Components -1degree headset, handlebars, stem, saddle, tires, and PNW Pine dropper it came down to under $700. Parts I carried over were the XTR wheels, Guide R brakes, XTR bottom bracket, XT cranks and pedals.

The frame weighed in at about 5.5lbs and the whole bike is ~26.5lbs...not bad for a new USA-made regular-duty xc/trail bike when new ones cost upwards of $2000
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Newly-built 2008 Titus Motolite!-20190914_163149.jpg  

Newly-built 2008 Titus Motolite!-20190920_104341.jpg  

Newly-built 2008 Titus Motolite!-20190820_104135-large-.jpg  

Last edited by GeoFX; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Very nice bike... and a nice build, looks like a size small. I have a small 2006 MotoLite in blue that was a Taiwan - made frame, and it's all aluminum - the one I have has a paint job that will chip just from looking at it. I think your vintage often suffered from broken carbon seat stays... though who knows what kind of riding caused that failure. Without the manufacturer being around- it could be a problem. I also found that the smaller shock found on the small frames was a little hard to adjust and I could never find the right setting for my RP23, with my 185lbs weight. I recently replaced the shock with the RS Monarch rt3 and that really improved the performance of the bike - especially when climbing.
    All that said, I love this bike and you will too I'm sure. My bike is 28 lbs, potentially due to heavy 2.35/2.2 Kenda tires - but it rides great.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Emax View Post
    Very nice bike... and a nice build, looks like a size small. I have a small 2006 MotoLite in blue that was a Taiwan - made frame, and it's all aluminum - the one I have has a paint job that will chip just from looking at it. I think your vintage often suffered from broken carbon seat stays... though who knows what kind of riding caused that failure. Without the manufacturer being around- it could be a problem. I also found that the smaller shock found on the small frames was a little hard to adjust and I could never find the right setting for my RP23, with my 185lbs weight. I recently replaced the shock with the RS Monarch rt3 and that really improved the performance of the bike - especially when climbing.
    All that said, I love this bike and you will too I'm sure. My bike is 28 lbs, potentially due to heavy 2.35/2.2 Kenda tires - but it rides great.
    Thanks for the reply Emax. Yes it is a size small frame. The tires are Continental Protection Mountain King 2.3/Race King 2.2 front and rear. At 165lbs riding weight, i need about 185psi to get the 25% sag that i want out of the shock so it wasn't too bad. As for the carbon stays, i did some preemptive strengthening by putting gorilla glue around all the carbon/aluminum junctions. Sounds ghetto but it may reinforce the bonds a little. We'll see how it lasts though. if it breaks, it'll be time for a chinese-made carbon FS frame afterwards methinks.

mtbr member
    Actually, the 2007 and 2008 Motolites were very good and held up well. The aluminum seat stays in the 2006 motolites were problematic as were the FTM seat stays.

The small size frames used a 1.5" shock that had a high 3.3:1 leverage ratio. The other sizes used a 2.0 shock with a 2.5:1 leverage ratio which meant I used 175 lbs for my 200lb frame.
    It is the Right of the People to Alter or to Abolish It.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Yeah... maybe, but my local Titus dealer mentioned there were several failures of the carbon ones on both MotoLite and RacerX that he saw... My rear triangle is the larger tire clearance non hydroformed one, and no cracks... Yeah - the medium frame came with a bigger shock that would have been better for me too - I also believe that the small frame did not get the full 130mm travel. Ignoring all those spects, Motolite is a sweet bike to ride, and I still love mine.