mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Newbie looking for some help with tires

Hello all!
    I am a newbie at modern mountain biking, but just received an old 2003 Gary Fisher Marlin. Its in great shape and should get me back to riding. I need new tires though and I am totally lost on what I should get. (Im even new to the smaller valve these tires use!)
    Currently have 26 X 2.10 To fit HB 575 rim. same on both front and back.
    Was wondering
    1. Could I go with a fatter tire? I like the look of the fat tire bikes, but don't know if I could do that on this bike.

2. What would be your recommendations for a not so expensive replacement tire and inner tubes to be used primarily on city roads, with some beginner trail rides here and there.

3. Where is the best place to buy?

Thank you in advance for your time and sharing your experience. I am looking forward to learning what mods I can do on this thing!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Look up Schwalbe Rapid Rob 26" x 2.25 with Presta tubes on Amazon, eBay, or any other similar online retailer. You can get these as a 2 tire & 2 tube combo set for around $50, or $40 for 2 tires without tubes.

These are XC tires with a very low rolling resistance (great for city roads), and pretty good puncture resistance. These also have good side knobs that will let you ride beginner trails with absolute confidence.

Get a nice floor pump to regularly check your tire pressures. I recommend to run there at around 28psi (a bit lower if you are 180 Lbs or less, or a bit more if above 220 Lbs with gear on).

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks so much Blundar!!!! Will be checking for those now!

mtbr member
    What 26x2.1 tire do you currently use? Some tires differ from their published width.
    Try to measure how much clearance you have between your current tire and the frame/fork. That will give you an idea as to how much more width you can use. It's best to have at least 1/4" of clearance, once the larger tires are on. It's likely that you can increase the size of the front tire more than the rear, because there my be more room on the fork.

Blundar's recommendation of the Rapid Rob online looks like it is the kevlar bead version, which is good. That's a good price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    the current tires looks like they are the original tires that came with the bike IRC Mythos XC 26 X 2.10 to fit HB 575 rim. I like the value of the Rapid Rob Blundar suggested, but wondering if the difference 2.10 vs 2.25 makes. Will the 2.25 fit on my current rim?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Biged5oh View Post
    the current tires looks like they are the original tires that came with the bike IRC Mythos XC 26 X 2.10 to fit HB 575 rim. I like the value of the Rapid Rob Blundar suggested, but wondering if the difference 2.10 vs 2.25 makes. Will the 2.25 fit on my current rim?
    The .15" difference is very close to only 1/8" wider than what you currently have. That small amount should be OK on almost any bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Thanks again Blundar!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Ask around locally, you probably have friends with extra 26" tires who now ride bigger wheel bikes.
    I've run a bunch of cast-off stuff on my 26er, even cheaper and 50% worn tires work 'pretty good'.
    I now have a WTB Prowler XT 2.3 on the front (race prize from about 2 years ago), that's the best front I've run so far, and I do like the big tire up front.
    I would stick with folding/kevlar bead tires so as to not get super heavy wire bead tires, and I would also expect to see some good options for under $25 ea.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

mtbr member
    IRC Mythos are very narrow tires. I used to use them, ages ago, and recall the 2.1 being closer to 1.9". If you have a caliper, measure them. I doubt a 2.25" Rapid Rob will be bigger than 2.2". I have a 27.5x2.6" Nobby Nic on a 35mm inner width rim and it measures 2.6" almost exactly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks again Blundar!
    You are very welcome! These are the tires that I currently use on my XC bike. I recently rode it on some long distance paved "rail-to-trail" rides and was very pleasantly surprised how well it did with such low rolling resistance. That is why I did not hesitate to recommend it right away.

If you end up getting these tires, share with us your results and opinions when you try them out...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Check chainreactioncycles.com

They often have good prices on tires with free shipping over 50. As for tire recommendations, I would take a look at some maxxis 2.3 and 2.2 fast rolling patterns like the minion SS, Griffin, tomahawk, Aspen, Ardent, Ikon, Crossmark... Even Maxxis 2.3 runs pretty narrow and low volume so clearance shouldn't be an issue.

If you can't find the Maxxis tires you're interested in you can purchase directly off their site. I know you said you want to keep it cheap, but tires are the one place you really don't want to skimp on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I will Blundar! I placed the order on amazon, $50 just like you said for two tires and two tubes. Only shipping is not till next week, so I have to wait. But will do!!!!

mtbr member
    I will Blundar! I placed the order on amazon, $50 just like you said for two tires and two tubes. Only shipping is not till next week, so I have to wait. But will do!!!!
    Good tire, you should be happy with them. Test the fit of the back tire right away, so if it doesn't fit, you can return them to Amazon. I only mention this because I still have (and ride occasionally) my 2003 Gary Fisher Sugar 3+. Although the Marlin is a hard tail, and the Sugar a full suspension, they both have pretty tight clearance for the rear tire. I have Kenda Nevegal's on my Sugar, and the largest I can get on the rear is a 2.1. 2.35 fits with plenty of clearance up front.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So I finally got a chance to mount the tires on my bike! Thanks so much Blundar for the recommendation! I noticed such an improvement with the ride. They fit perfect, no issues at all, they even look great! Also PLENTY of room on back tire, not even close to rubbing against the frame! After the install, it felt like I was riding a new bike, amazed at how much different new tires makes! So thanks all for the help, this forum is awesome and I hope it helps someone else down the line as well!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Always glad to help.