New Specialized Rockhopper or 2008 Specialized Epic FZR- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

New Specialized Rockhopper or 2008 Specialized Epic FZR

Hey guys, I recently asked your opinions about an old Jamis suspension bike I found. Well, it sold. But I found a better (though more expensive bike): a 2008 (or so) Specialized Epic FSR. It's a full suspension rig with a brain in the rear locking it out on smaller bumps. Pretty cool concept, but it's a race bike, and I'm still a novice. It's about $100 less than the price of a new Rockhopper.

I have an old rockhopper now (like 2000 or so) and it's still a good bike, though I cracked the head bracket a little The forks are a tad loose now, but it's still fine for mild trails. I understand that the Rockhopper is Specialized's entry level trail bike, and the Epic is a pretty serious machine.

So what would you guys think would be a better bike to learn/grow on: a new Rockhopper with spring shocks and 29" rims, or an older Epic with 26" wheels, but Fox 80 forks and rear Fox suspension with an older style brain? The Epic also looks like it has the older/larger front gears. I assume these can be upgraded to the smaller 2-gear set? Oh, but I'd lose the gear ratio with the 26" tires... hmmm Assuming it's the right size and in good shape, what do you guys think is a better buy?
    Last edited by idoseadoo; 07-28-2020 at 06:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I now realize that the Epic is an XC bike, while the Rockhopper is a true trail bike. I do plan on riding mostly trails (along with some city now and then), but my understanding is that XC also ride on trails. I'm too new to know the difference what trails are better for XC bikes, and which need a true Trail bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Honestly, a 10+ year old Epic with proprietary and potentially clapped out suspension sounds like major trouble to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by TimoA View Post
    Honestly, a 10+ year old Epic with proprietary and potentially clapped out suspension sounds like major trouble to me.
    That's a good point... I spoke with the guy. He said he used to ride in Michigan a lot, but doesn't need that much bike here in FL because the terrain is more mild. I plan to travel around though and would like a softer suspension.

I looked at an Iron Horse FS bike recently. The paint job looked like it was from a rattle can and the grips were shot. Chain seemed like it could use some love, but the rest of the bike felt good and smooth. Clean forks with plenty of travel, and nice brakes. Just looked a bit dirty. The shocks would make a hissing noise after I jump on them (on the up stroke). Does that indicate that they're leaking? I saw no oil anywhere. They're Fox Aura forks and a fox rear shock. Guy wants $600. I wonder if it's not just better to get a brand new hardtail for a little more... What do you guys think it'd cost to get this bike all tuned up and up and refreshed if I did the work myself?