mtbr member
    Jan 2018

New (to me) Bike Build for Newbie MTBer

Hi there!

I saved this Specialized Hardrock frame from my local bike coop's recycle pile for basically nothing.

I am putting it together with the intent of bikepacking on it. To start with I am hoping to narrow down the year of manufacture on it, and then I need to start picking components. The only thing I am currently pretty certain on trying to do with it is going tubeless.

Luckily this thing is in such rough shape that I have lots of work to do before I start spending money on components.

New (to me) Bike Build for Newbie MTBer-fa2wyidh.jpgNew (to me) Bike Build for Newbie MTBer-xcqapzwh.jpg

Also I haven't ever been in a position to (basically) build a bike from scratch, so would love to hear what others would do if they were in the same spot.

Current goal is to complete rehabbing it by April and start riding in May as the weather warms enough in Idaho that I can get out into higher elevations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New (to me) Bike Build for Newbie MTBer-fa2wyidl.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have a bike that is very similar, try this link to bikepedia to match up the frame style and colors to determine the year.
    https://bikepedia.com/Quickbike/Bike...model=Hardrock

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JPL65 View Post
    I have a bike that is very similar, try this link to bikepedia to match up the frame style and colors to determine the year.
    https://bikepedia.com/Quickbike/Bike...model=Hardrock
    I wasn't aware such a site existed. Thank you!
    Looks like it's a 2012 Hardrock SE based on the site. Image matches up pretty perfectly with what my frame looks like. That gives me some good starting info!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Wow, I didn't know they made a non-disc frame in 2012. That is the Year, Make, and Model though. you've got it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Wow, I didn't know they made a non-disc frame in 2012. That is the Year, Make, and Model though. you've got it.
    Well it does have the mount for a disc break setup, so that's pretty sweet. I need to look into the cost of my braking options...so many things to research. I love it.

Pro Crastinator
    you might wanna look again. there are no disc brake mounts on that frame...

fwiw, that is the low end of the S lineup. you'd be better off just buying something complete. the amount of money you will need to throw at it (unless you have a massive stack of spare parts) will not be worth it in the end...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    you might wanna look again. there are no disc brake mounts on that frame...

fwiw, that is the low end of the S lineup. you'd be better off just buying something complete. the amount of money you will need to throw at it (unless you have a massive stack of spare parts) will not be worth it in the end...
    I'll have to get a picture and see what the guy at the Coop was talking about then. As for cost of parts and all that, I am picking them up used with a discount on top of that and I really enjoy taking older frames and giving them new life, so while it may cost me a bit more over time, the fact that it will be "mine" makes it worth that cost to me.