New here, need advice about a new (or good used) fork for my Trek hardtail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2020

New here, need advice about a new (or good used) fork for my Trek hardtail

Hey y'all! I'm new to this forum. Haven't mountain biked much in the last 10 years. I used to ride a lot in other places I've lived (Richmond, VA, Moab, So WA Cascades, Bellingham, WA). I live in Portland, OR and for a city surrounded by so much natural beauty there's not much decent mountain biking close by. I have an old Trek 7000 hardtail that's been a great bike over the years. When the old Rockshox Judy fork blew out I replaced it with a rigid carbin fork fork and put slicks and fenders on it for city riding. I just built a 750w mid drive ebike out of a Jamis Dakar mtb which is now my city and trail bike. I'd like to convert my old trek back to a XCmtb but need a new suspension fork. I have a blown out Manitou Splice from the Jamis that I bought (I put a nice used Fox Float on that) but I can't seem to find a rebuild kit for the Splice. I hear it's a crappy fork and may not be worth rebuilding anyway. I trying to do this for as little $$$ as possible but it seems you get what you pay for and I want something that will work well for years. Wish I had kept the blown Judy fork I had. What do you recommend I get for my Trek hardtail that would preferably be under $300. Thanks!

mtbr member
    How much travel do you want?

DFMBA.org
    Probably needs a straight steerer, and those donít usually come in more than 100mm. Maybe try to find a used Rockshox Recon . Itís the lowest end air fork, but itís pretty decent and easy to service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Please donate to IMBA or your local IMBA chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBeing View Post
    Probably needs a straight steerer, and those donít usually come in more than 100mm. Maybe try to find a used Rockshox Recon . Itís the lowest end air fork, but itís pretty decent and easy to service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They're still out there to be found. About a month ago i bought a NOS 140mm fox float performance series fork on eBay for my older chameleon.

Keep an eye out on ebay, if i recall a few weeks back there was a pile of magura durin's with straight steerers on there.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Thanks for the relpies. 100mm travel is all I need. I'm not going to be doing anything crazy or downhill riding. And it is a straight steerer tube. I'll keep my eyes on ebay. When I looked recently there's so much there I was a bit overwhelmed. I know Fox & Rockshox are good. I guess most Manitous are also. There are some brands that Ive never heard of and I understand based on reviews I've read that most or all cheaper Chinese-made forks are garbage and won't last. I do want something I can service/rebuild. If I could get a decent used for that just needs a rebuild that would be ok as long as rebuild kits are easy to find.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I do want something I can service/rebuild. I 192.168.100.1 192.168.1.1 jpg to pdf I could get a decent used for that just needs a rebuild that would be ok as long as r ebuild kits are easy to find.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    find another Judy? you can still get elastomers, etc for them

marzocchi bomber z1 or z2. seal kits are available. i just refreshed my '99 z2 w/ basic hand tools.

or go to a more modern air fork like a Rock Shox Sid?

all these show up on ebay quite often. if you need a steerer no longer than 7.25" or so, you might find something in good shape quite easily.