New head set and canti brakes, what kind?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chrisx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    583

    New head set and canti brakes, what kind?

    I am rebuilding a 93(?) Hard Rock. I had a lot of parts hanging around collecting dust, so. I do not have any cantilever brakes, or a head set. Nor do I know which cantis or threaded head set is a good one.

    I have a 985 28 - 40 crank, 970 front and rear derailleurs, XT 756 and 770 hubs, thumb shifters. I ordered, Alex adventure 2 rims, (rim brake Tubeless,) XT 10 speed cassette 11 -36, (34 would fit the 970 better,) new cables and housing.

    I am bring the old garage queen back to life.
    Could use advice on rim brakes of good quality, and a head set.

    thanks

  2. #2
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,173
    Most any sealed threaded headset will do. If it were me, I'd install Avid v-brakes on the cantilever studs.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Redlands R&C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    746
    Or go with a nice canti brake such as the Avid Shorty Ultimate's. Tektro makes decent canti-brakes too, came stock on many cross check's. There is always Paul components too for ultra bling.
    Silly bike things happening.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Most any sealed threaded headset will do. If it were me, I'd install Avid v-brakes on the cantilever studs.
    What sgltrak said........

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: fredcook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    592
    +1 Avid for brakes...
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: DeoreDX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Most any sealed threaded headset will do. If it were me, I'd install Avid v-brakes on the cantilever studs.
    Just realize V-Brake and Canti brake levers are not compatible.
    -DeoreDX

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chrisx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    583
    Checked on avid V brakes, liner pull brakes, out of stock, ??
    Xt liner pull brakes have only front in stock and not rear.
    Can't roll smooth all the time.

    Do linear pull brakes stop a little better than cantis?

    I was planning to get a canti rack. If I recall correctly, V brake and canti racks do not play well together.

  8. #8
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,173
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Checked on avid V brakes, liner pull brakes, out of stock, ??
    Xt liner pull brakes have only front in stock and not rear.
    Can't roll smooth all the time.

    Do linear pull brakes stop a little better than cantis?

    I was planning to get a canti rack. If I recall correctly, V brake and canti racks do not play well together.
    Well set-up cantis can stop as well as v-brakes, but the v-brakes are typically easier to set up. If you have access to a bike co-op or shop with used parts you should be able to find decent used brakes. I would suggest new pads if you get a set of used brakes. For cantilevers, I have had good luck with 1st generation Shimano XTR M-900 and DiaCompe 986. I am not sure what a cantilever rack is.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chrisx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    583
    Name:  ebicycles-bicycle-rack-front-install-using-brake-bosses-467x300.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  17.3 KB

    They sell $85, $115 stainless canti racks, but a $20 aluminum canti rack is light and lasts at least a couple of years, at half the weight of the expensive name brand stainless rack. Stainless canti rack weighs about 1 pound, and is strong and will last a few years or more.

    The canti rack allows a much larger and heavier bar bag. combined with a frame bag, a touring cyclist should be able to travel about the place without a rear rack, or back pack. Also good for trips to the grocery store. I am referring to a home made do it yourself bar bag.


    Might be hard to find Shimano XTR M-900 cantis in good shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    Well set-up cantis can stop as well as v-brakes, but the v-brakes are typically easier to set up. If you have access to a bike co-op or shop with used parts you should be able to find decent used brakes. I would suggest new pads if you get a set of used brakes. For cantilevers, I have had good luck with 1st generation Shimano XTR M-900 and DiaCompe 986. I am not sure what a cantilever rack is.

  10. #10
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,173
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    Name:  ebicycles-bicycle-rack-front-install-using-brake-bosses-467x300.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  17.3 KB

    They sell $85, $115 stainless canti racks, but a $20 aluminum canti rack is light and lasts at least a couple of years, at half the weight of the expensive name brand stainless rack. Stainless canti rack weighs about 1 pound, and is strong and will last a few years or more.

    The canti rack allows a much larger and heavier bar bag. combined with a frame bag, a touring cyclist should be able to travel about the place without a rear rack, or back pack. Also good for trips to the grocery store. I am referring to a home made do it yourself bar bag.
    OK. I've seen those and have several friends with them. Not sure why they wouldn't work with v-brakes.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chrisx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    583
    Quote Originally Posted by sgltrak View Post
    OK. I've seen those and have several friends with them. Not sure why they wouldn't work with v-brakes.
    The cantis fit underneath the rack, the v brakes bump into the rack.
    A canti rack can interfere with the v brake performance.

  12. #12
    slow
    Reputation: sgltrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,173
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisx View Post
    The cantis fit underneath the rack, the v brakes bump into the rack.
    A canti rack can interfere with the v brake performance.
    I see now. Thanks for the explanation. Good luck with the build.
    If you can't find MTB cantilever brakes in your searches, look for cyclocross cantilevers.

  13. #13
    2 wheel fanatic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    117
    This is awesome! I was just working on my 93? 94? Hardrock this morning, and realized my cantis are all buggered up. I'll be following closely...
    Here's my baby, I've been on this one longer than I've been with my wife!
    The old beast is in the midst of being reborn, many changes to come!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New head set and canti brakes, what kind?-img_20190618_122104199_hdr.jpg  

    Last edited by MattiThundrrr; 08-14-2019 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Grammar fetish
    I want something good to die for
    To make it beautiful to live
    I want a new mistake, lose is more than hesitate.

Similar Threads

  1. new head set and canti brakes, what kind?
    By chrisx in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-31-2019, 12:17 AM
  2. What year? Avid Ultimate SD canti levers & Control Tech canti brakes
    By RockiMtn in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2016, 06:17 AM
  3. Shimano Br CX77 disc brakes and PAUL Canti levers
    By demondan in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 03:19 AM
  4. 2012 Air9 Head tube / head set questions
    By Nooge in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-27-2011, 03:51 PM
  5. Old bike with canti brakes...can I put V brakes on?
    By ajoc_prez in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2006, 02:58 PM

Members who have read this thread: 33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.