Need Your Thoughts (3x8 to 1x10) New to all of this- Mtbr.com
    26erFanatic

Need Your Thoughts (3x8 to 1x10) New to all of this

Hi. I recently bought a 2007 Kona Kikapu (all stock) for 140 USD. Everything's working and the bike's in good condition but I thought it would be fun to convert to a 1x10. The setup I'm currently thinking is an Shimano Zee FR RD, Deore 10-speed shifter, 11-36 tooth cassette (this is the limit of the RD), and a 32 tooth crank. This would cost me roughly the same price I paid for the bike. Would it be worth it? I'm not even sure if I can swith to a hollowtech or if the rear hub would fit a 10 speed. Thanks.

P.S. I'm new to mountain biking and it's my only bike.

26erFanatic

mtbr member
    Having $300 into a bike you like to ride sounds worth it. But other than the fun of it, is there a reason you're wanting to switch to 1x? I went 1x11 on my 26er, I was looking to increase ground clearance (tired of catching big ring on logs), drop some weight, and just simplify my bike overall. I have 32T up front and 11-46 out back. I don't feel like I sacrificed anything on the low end, but I definitely sacrificed top end speed. The setup you are contemplating is going to require some sacrifice on both sides of the spectrum, but that may or may not be an issue depending on your riding style.

The crank and cassette will not be an issue, you may or may not need spacers for the BB but it is definitely compatible one way or another.

26erFanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by flitzr951 View Post
    Having $300 into a bike you like to ride sounds worth it. But other than the fun of it, is there a reason you're wanting to switch to 1x? I went 1x11 on my 26er, I was looking to increase ground clearance (tired of catching big ring on logs), drop some weight, and just simplify my bike overall. I have 32T up front and 11-46 out back. I don't feel like I sacrificed anything on the low end, but I definitely sacrificed top end speed. The setup you are contemplating is going to require some sacrifice on both sides of the spectrum, but that may or may not be an issue depending on your riding style.

The crank and cassette will not be an issue, you may or may not need spacers for the BB but it is definitely compatible one way or another.
    Thanks. I'm not really planning to go full-on mountain biking (trails and such) as I'm going to start college this year. I jist wanteda fun bike that I can ride anywhere.

What do you think would be an ideal set-up within the budget?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by flitzr951 View Post
    But other than the fun of it, is there a reason you're wanting to switch to 1x?
    Same question from me...

@26erFanatic, Unless you can't figure out how to shift the stock 3x8 (without cross-chaining, for example) or the stock components are worn out, I wouldn't bother. Just wait until something breaks.

If you have pimp-your-bike fever with money to burn, I'd look for some shimano 1x11 take-off parts on the cheap - check pinkbike BuySell.
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

26erFanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Westy View Post
    Same question from me...

@26erFanatic, Unless you can't figure out how to shift the stock 3x8 (without cross-chaining, for example) or the stock components are worn out, I wouldn't bother. Just wait until something breaks.
    There's not really an issue with the bike other than the fork's preload not working.
    I can't really do overseas shipping... From where I live, they charge absurd taxes with those. Thanks anyways.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 26erFanatic View Post
    There's not really an issue with the bike other than the fork's preload not working.
    I can't really do overseas shipping... From where I live, they charge absurd taxes with those. Thanks anyways.
    If it were me... If the 3x is working, but there's an issue with the forks, I'd focus on the forks first.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    You think it will be fun to convert 3x to 1x, yeah it can be fun. But if there is nothing wrong with the 3x then just leave it until you need to fix it.