Modern Day Wheelset for GT Avalanche Disc 26er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Modern Day Wheelset for GT Avalanche Disc 26er

I've started having hub problems (bearing slop) on my front wheel. It's an older Mavic CrossRide Disc I bought in a set. Maybe because I'm too heavy @220lbs but I busted the axle on the CrossRide rear wheel and replaced it with a used CrossMax Enduro years ago. So I've been running that setup for awhile now and I either have to replace the bearings in the front if I can find them, or preferably I'll spend a little on new wheels and repair the old set for a backup later.

I run 2.1 WTB Velociraptors now(I think they're the OEM tire actually). And it looks like the Crossride Disc is a 19mm inner in front. CrossMax Enduro rear is probably same.

So I'm looking at upgrading and I look around and everybody is running wider wheels. Running lower pressures, tubeless. And running wider tires of course. For my 2.1's I'm seeing charts recommending 23mm IW wheels or more! I guess rim tech is that much better than 6/7 years ago.

So I'd like to give it a shot as much as my frame will allow. Something wider and tubeless with lower pressures. I know a narrow 2.3 is the biggest I can fit on this bike. I'd like a 2.3 front and 2.2/3 rear with a 25ish mm inner width wheel that can handle my weight and riding style, which is rocky, rooty, technical XC as well as fast free flowing XC. I guess you'd call it "Trail" now. Hubs will have to be 9/10mm QR ISO Disc.

Before I go ahead and start shopping around I'd like to hear any criticisms of this plan. Other ideas on a plan or even specific product are welcome also. I am not interested right now in a new or even used bike upgrade so its not on the table.

I appreciate any and all comments.

Cheers,
    Lyndon

mtbr member
    your situation sounds just like mine, including being on the beefier side of the XC riding spectrum and type of trails you ride. I used Hope Pro4 hubs laced to DT Swiss EX471 rims with DT Swiss Evolution spokes. The EX471s are actually all mountain rims, but they weigh in like an average XC rim. I went with the evolution spokes to keep the weight down and the Hope hubs because they came in purple (priorities). You could build on any combination of hubs/spokes (Novatec would be a good budget hub option) but I strongly recommend the EX471s as your start point as they are designed to withstand serious abuse without penalizing you on weight.

Modern Day Wheelset for GT Avalanche Disc 26er-dt02b.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the advice. Those rims look great. 25mm seems a good width that will work at the tire sizes I'm looking at. At 475g they are pretty light considering. What differences did you notice after the change to your ride?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Stans Arch rims are a good price and build up into pretty light wheels.

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/St...tom-Build.html
    2020 Canyon Neuron 9.0 LTD
    2015 KHS Sixfifty Team
    2019 Salsa Warbird
    2019 Canyon Endurace
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hope hubs are high on my list of hubs, they are one of few to use forged hubshells. Forged good. I'm a lightweight but build wheels high tension. Have yet to use a Hope actually, my old Hugi's are bombproof and forged approaching 30 years old. DT/Hugis are great for heavyweights.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by llivingstone View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Those rims look great. 25mm seems a good width that will work at the tire sizes I'm looking at. At 475g they are pretty light considering. What differences did you notice after the change to your ride?
    Honestly, my last build was such an overhaul that it is hard to pinpoint the change from the wheel themselves. I also switched from rim to disc brakes and now run tubeless with these rims (easy with these rims BTW). My rear wheel setup weighs exactly the same as my old one with cassettes installed. My new cassette is 11spd and significantly heavier than my old 8spd, so the new wheels are lighter around the outside - which is where it matters most. That combined with the loss of weight in the tubeless setup has really made the bike feel more explosive. Having the wider rim has allowed me to run a fatter tire up front at a lower pressure which has come in handy as I my bike is now fully rigid and I don't miss the suspension fork at all.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I had a online shop send me mavic 517’s sups laced to mavic mx501 hubs for $299 shipped. This was a while back.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up going with something hand built and ready to ship quickly. BWW reportedly has excellent customer service. These are 25mm IW, decently light at 500g with some overbuilt hubs and decent spokes. BWW gets great reviews for product and service. The price was pretty good after 20% discount. Remember 26" options in 9/10mm QR are not that plentiful.

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/MT...tom-Build.html

mtbr member
    Those look like they will be nice, post pics once you get them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by llivingstone View Post
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up going with something hand built and ready to ship quickly. BWW reportedly has excellent customer service. These are 25mm IW, decently light at 500g with some overbuilt hubs and decent spokes. BWW gets great reviews for product and service. The price was pretty good after 20% discount. Remember 26" options in 9/10mm QR are not that plentiful.

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/MT...tom-Build.html
    Did you end up with the Speed Tuned Super 6 2.0 hubs? If so, I'd be interested to hear how they runout and how durable they are.
    I race XC with a 2005 Raleigh M80. Yes, I really do.