Minions vs Ardents vs. Nevengals- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Minions vs Ardents vs. Nevengals

Are the Maxis tires twice as good as the Kenda? They are half the price. I liked the Minions DHR and F a lot. Ardents not as much. How will the Nevengal compare?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Minions vs Ardents vs. Nevengals-20190708_094322.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    IMO, the old Nevegal was an unpredictable tire. It would let loos in cornering all at once, which made for a punishing front tire. I've been running Minion DHF's ever since I discovered them As a front tire, they work. I actually like Ardents for the rear tire. Less rolling resistance, and a pretty good grip as well. They tend to break loose under lateral force sooner than the Minions, which suits my klutzy style of riding well.

Nevegals also seem to wear faster than the Maxxis tires.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    running DHF and Ardent------like this in dry conditions-----no idea on the others
    Have run Agreesor on the back but could not tell the diff from the Ardent which is faster

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    IMO, the old Nevegal was an unpredictable tire. It would let loos in cornering all at once, which made for a punishing front tire. I've been running Minion DHF's ever since I discovered them As a front tire, they work. I actually like Ardents for the rear tire. Less rolling resistance, and a pretty good grip as well. They tend to break loose under lateral force sooner than the Minions, which suits my klutzy style of riding well.

Nevegals also seem to wear faster than the Maxxis tires.
    People used to cut out the intermediate lugs to deal with what you're describing. Basically turned the nev into a DHF style pattern with a defined drift zone that removed that grip to slip feel in the corners. I personanlly liked the nev at first back in the day but I didn't understand tread patterns very well. I woudn't run them if they were free now, but that's just because I"m picky about tires. It wasn't an awful tire, I just know what I like now and it's not the nevegal.

OP, saving money on tires isn't a great idea unless you are a very causual rider. Tires play such a big roll. The DHR and F rolls nearly as fast as the nev and both do everything else better. My guess is you wont' enjoy the ride nearly as much. Is saving 20 bucks worth that?

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Which Nevegal? The newer one is supposed to be better rolling and in corners, but it's also not cheap like the old model (unless you know something I don't...please share). I've never tried the new model, so take that for what it's worth.

https://reviews.mtbr.com/revealed-ke...al-x-pro-tires
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Bontrager XR4s are $35 each on Trek's website the last time I looked. They are wire bead but they appear to be good tires, especially for the price.