M80 Phase II - 26 Tubeless XC Wheels Sets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

M80 Phase II - 26 Tubeless XC Wheels Sets

Okay, I've caught the bug. It is fun to find the bargain best of what is compatible to mod out my outmoded M80 and I'm off to a running start.

The only thing I haven't puzzled out yet, after doing some research, is a good, rugged (yet light), tubeless 26er wheel set. They still have to be QR and Shimano freehub compatible, can take disc brakes, and run a 2.1 to 2.3 tire (i'm thinking Maxxis Icons would work best for the Iceman).

I figured a light wheelset would be one of the ways to compensate for the relatively heavy frame and reduce rotating mass at the same time. And I have found some gently used or NOS wheelsets for pretty good prices, but...

Those I have found are weight limit rated- to 160 to 180 pound rider. I'm 220 now and won't get below 200 even in "race ready" trim. So, anyone else successfully navigate this?

Thanks again!

HB26

mtbr member
    Okay, so I have located a complete set-up, some Stan's Olymics with Hope hubs, shod in Maxxis Icons. My concern- this is a very light and narrow rim, I'm concerned about lateral stability when running low pressure and also how they will hold up with my 220lb girth. I'd have to adapt through axle back to QR. The advantage, only $250 for the complete wheel set.

The other is a American Classic All Mountains- I would need to buy tires. These have a taller and wider hoop and seem plenty strong while still being light. The hubs are set up exactly as I need. Downside- I'd have to buy new tires. Cost without tires for the set is $450.

Which do you think is the better value?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Based on how much you're spending on this bike I'm going to guess that eventually you'll be replacing the frame with an something equally as amazing as the parts you're throwing into it.

With that assumption I'd skip the Olympics and go the with American classics.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Based on how much you're spending on this bike I'm going to guess that eventually you'll be replacing the frame with an something equally as amazing as the parts you're throwing into it.

With that assumption I'd skip the Olympics and go the with American classics.
    We shall see. Suppose it depends on how Iceman 2020 goes...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Another option for wheels I was looking at for you are Stans Arch wheels. I found a really nice front wheel on pinkbike but couldn't find a rear to match. I believe 24-25mm is the sweet spot for rim width, adds a bit of strength as well.

Race looks awesome! And although I'm giving you a hard time about the frame I totally understand where you're coming from. I've done the same thing to most of my bikes over the years, although on a much longer time frame. Sometimes a bike is just too much fun & it sounds like you're loving it.

You can split the difference with these new wheels. Not sure on weight though but not 6 bolt disc

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/shim...QaAiliEALw_wcB
    83 Ritchey Everest
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2015 Kona Operator Supreme
    2015 Kona Process 153
    2019 Kona Process 153 CR 29

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Check out this guy as well. I bought a wheel set from him in the past and was happy with the transaction. Tell him what you are looking for.

https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/

Ride what you like!
    There's a member here, can't recall the name, who has a wheel building business.
    LaceMine29 dot com or something like that. Not just niners though, and I believe they mentioned 26" rims gathering dust on the shelves, so there may be discounts to be had.
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    Glad to see there are a few options to explore. Let's keep them coming.

I've contacted LaceMine29 and looked and the others. I'll keep you updated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    I would definitely stay away from the olympics. I am pretty sure they had a 180lb limit when they were new. 250$ is not a bad price for the hope hubs, however if you need a different driver that might make that point mute. Give us a photo of your bike.
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

Ride what you like!
    Quote Originally Posted by HotelBravo26 View Post
    I've contacted LaceMine29 and looked and the others. I'll keep you updated.
    Umm maybe don't mention that I recommended you, just remembered where I heard of that business... We butted heads a little on the "26er rise from the ashes" thread. Wouldn't want to affect your deal negatively
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattiThundrrr View Post
    Umm maybe don't mention that I recommended you, just remembered where I heard of that business... We butted heads a little on the "26er rise from the ashes" thread. Wouldn't want to affect your deal negatively
    No worries. He has already contacted me and is perfectly professional, cordial even.

mtbr member
    I'm about the same weight and have a Hope wheelset with Stans Arch rims. I also agree with the two earlier posters who told you so steer clear of the Olympics. We're both at a weight where the Flow might even be a better option. The Arch EX (may be difficult to find) rims or the current Arch got a bit wider as they went, perhaps look at those if you want to stay with Stans rims. That said, there are other rims out there to look at too.

I've also purchased from BWW and was happy enough with the wheels. The link provided by eshew is a reasonable price, but you may also be able to find a used set with better hubs.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotelBravo26 View Post
    No worries. He has already contacted me and is perfectly professional, cordial even.
    Mikesee has vast knowledge and experience, just don't piss him off!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Mikesee asked me a good question when asking me about the wheel build- what tires and pressure am I planning to run? Thought I'd share my answer here.

The tires I am considering are Ikon | Maxxis Tires USA -TB72385000 26X2.20 57-559 120 FOLDABLE 540 3C MAXX SPEED 65 3C/EXO Black MOUNTAIN out back and

Ardent Race | Maxxis Tires USA TB72374100 26X2.20 56-559 120 FOLDABLE 650 3C MAXX SPEED 60 3C/EXO/TR Black MOUNTAIN up front.

The tire pressures would be about 28 psi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    Mike laced me up a sweet set of wheels, Stans Crests with DT350 Hubs and I shod them with MAXXIS Ardent Race up front and MAXXIS Icon out back. The rear tire had some odd runout in the tread, so the bike shop I bought it from is already sending out a replacement. Mike's work is flawless. He was very informative, helpful, and could not be more patient.

This wheelset is fast and smooth. I am quickly spoiled, I can tell you that!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M80 Phase II - 26 Tubeless XC Wheels Sets-kmtv0fpxo1hz463ufljdkefjnqiml1_jgbyhvlrlzaw-2048x1536.jpg  

M80 Phase II - 26 Tubeless XC Wheels Sets-o4eszu9za-9dj8dxnulyhtfgu3sjyisb3ql-mglm4ik-2048x1536.jpg  

I race XC with a 2005 Raleigh M80. Yes, I really do.