Looking to replace a Shimano RD-M510?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2019

Looking to replace a Shimano RD-M510?

So my 20yo Giant hardtail's derailleur suffered a crack along the cage plate, and I'm looking to replace it. it's a 3x9 drive, and I'm a bit confused about compatibility. The Shimano Hone RD M600 GS looks promising, but it sounds like it needs to attach to the axle, not a hanger. Are there any more recent or modern options? This bike is mainly used for errands, so it just needs something reliable. Thanks!

mtbr member
    You can look into the 9-speed Shadow series; RD-M592(Deore), M662 (SLX) and (M772 ?) all would work. I did a google search and found a few hits on the Deore M592 like:

https://www.randombikeparts.com/prod...SABEgIEEPD_BwE

I used to run all 3 of those models in 2X-3X back in the day.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You need a derailleur with the "old" cable pull. For mountain, this is any 8 or 9 speed derailleur, regardless of being shadow type or not.

For example, I have an Alivio shadow type on my desk. This would work. I also have an 8 speed vintage xtr. This would also work. Any road 8, 9, or 10 speed will also work except 8 speed dura ace and 10 speed tiagra. I have a Claris 8 speed long cage from my gt gravel bike - this would work. So that may give you some options if you need something "fast" with all the stores being closed.

10, 11 and 12 speed derailleurs will not work.

On the Hone... I don't know. This was a downhill derailleir and I don't know if it had anything weird going on inside that made it need a special shifter or cassette.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You don't need a modern mech for commuting. All you'll get is a clutch which will just make your shifter feel heavier for no benefit. Buy something like the deore posted or shop ebay for some old stock for even cheaper.

Technically there are some 2020, modern 9 speed options. Well at least one: box nine is fine. When you see the price you'll be happy to go old-school. The hone will not work because it's proprietary. I always wanted that design back in the day but you had to have hone or saint hubs with associated axle. Best design on the market back then but it never caught on. Probably because shimano wouldn't let other companies use the design. I'm sure you were temped by the low prices. Last time I saw a hone mech it was like 10 bucks or something crazy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2019
    Thanks for the fast replies! The pulley center to pulley center distance on the M510 measures 85mm, is that considered GS (medium cage)?

mtbr member
    May 2020
    My '97 Stumpy has the XT M739 SGS (long cage), it's also 85mm center to center at the pulleys. As one of the only "integrated" sets they made there's some oddball things about it and it's 8 speed. But I think it conforms to other Shimano cage lengths, so my guess is yours is also long cage/SGS.