mtbr member
    May 2016

Long Travel F/S 26er's with Modern Geo(not DH)

Hey guys, can y'all name me some full suspension, long travel 26ers with modern geometry(additional props if they are 650B convertible) that aren't brand new frames? I know this is asking a lot and very specific, but I am looking to build a secondary enduro'ish bike to bomb a little bit harder on than my Banshee Paradox AM. Thanks fellas!

Hardtail Steel Forever
    SC Blur LT2 or LTC. 150mm, that's long travel in my book at least. I found a 2012 LT2 frame on ebay a few years ago. The carbon version is essentially identical, just carbon with a tapered headtube.

Long Travel F/S 26er's with Modern Geo(not DH)-20160822_122950-large-.jpg

Most manufacturers made what you're looking for in the 2008 - 2014 or so range.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    That would be a fun build, ideally 150mm is in the ballpark of what I'm looking for(150-170mm). For some reason I can never find these(LT F/S frames) anywhere, maybe its the fact I'm 6'4" and need an XL?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHolc View Post
    Hey guys, can y'all name me some full suspension, long travel 26ers with modern geometry(additional props if they are 650B convertible) that aren't brand new frames? I know this is asking a lot and very specific, but I am looking to build a secondary enduro'ish bike to bomb a little bit harder on than my Banshee Paradox AM. Thanks fellas!
    What about this: Bergamont threesome EX 2014, 160 mm travel

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I think Blur and Heckler are similar geo but different rear susp. I'm 6'4" and always had XL frames and love my 2012 XL Heckler (26" - 150 travel front and rear). Recently upgraded and picked up 2018 Kona 153 Process (27.5). Here pix showing geo difference between the two.
    Long Travel F/S 26er's with Modern Geo(not DH)-img_0323.jpg
    Long Travel F/S 26er's with Modern Geo(not DH)-img_0324.jpg

There is lots of info on Hecklers in SC forum. I think the 2013 models were 27.5 but many have squeezed 27.5's into 26" models too. I just converted my Heckler to 1X9.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The most modern geo you'll find with 26" wheels will be a Kona Process 167, and a Banshee rune or Spitfire. You can also put an angle set on just about anything and be south of 66 or 65 easily, but if it's the longer and lower you want than it's the above frames you'll want to look at.

As for converting to 650b. You'll be jacking up the BB too much making the modern geo you're looking for take a time traveling trip back to the days of 14"+ BB's. If you want 650b do it right and buy one. As am sure you know banshee offers 27 and 26" dropouts for the rune and spitfire. You could just go ahead and run 27 if that's what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by changomazo View Post
    What about this: Bergamont threesome EX 2014, 160 mm travel

While that is a sweet looking bike, I am looking to pick up used. I doubt I'd be able to find one in my area as I've never heard of them.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    I think Blur and Heckler are similar geo but different rear susp. I'm 6'4" and always had XL frames and love my 2012 XL Heckler (26" - 150 travel front and rear). Recently upgraded and picked up 2018 Kona 153 Process (27.5). Here pix showing geo difference between the two.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	1185226
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0324.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	141.8 KB 
ID:	1185227

There is lots of info on Hecklers in SC forum. I think the 2013 models were 27.5 but many have squeezed 27.5's into 26" models too. I just converted my Heckler to 1X9.
    Thanks for the info and pics! I was always under the impression that the Heckler was more XC oriented or is that just the older early 00's frames? 150/150mm isn't bad at all. Any idea what the head angle is?

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    The most modern geo you'll find with 26" wheels will be a Kona Process 167, and a Banshee rune or Spitfire. You can also put an angle set on just about anything and be south of 66 or 65 easily, but if it's the longer and lower you want than it's the above frames you'll want to look at.

As for converting to 650b. You'll be jacking up the BB too much making the modern geo you're looking for take a time traveling trip back to the days of 14"+ BB's. If you want 650b do it right and buy one. As am sure you know banshee offers 27 and 26" dropouts for the rune and spitfire. You could just go ahead and run 27 if that's what you're looking for.
    While I agree with you on the BB being raised, if the bike happens to have a tapered HT, I could throw on a angleset, slacken out the bike, steepen the seat tube angle and lower the BB all around even with the 650b. I know that's a long shot but still possible. I do love the Spitfire and Rune but a bit pricier than I'm looking at right now

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I also was taking a look at the Rocky Mountain Slayer Team. I found a frame on Fleabay for about $500 that looks satisfying...Opinions?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rocky-Mount...8AAOSwhcdak4Vw

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    While that is a sweet looking bike, I am looking to pick up used. I doubt I'd be able to find one in my area as I've never heard of them.
    I bought in eBay from UK! Got lucky but the suspension needed a proper service.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    While I agree with you on the BB being raised, if the bike happens to have a tapered HT, I could throw on a angleset, slacken out the bike, steepen the seat tube angle and lower the BB all around even with the 650b. I know that's a long shot but still possible. I do love the Spitfire and Rune but a bit pricier than I'm looking at right now
    I'm running an angle set on a 2013 HD. The BB/seat tube angle change is negligible. There's noway to not jack up the bb with 650b unless you run low volume tires that lower the height to that of high volume 26" tires. If you run offset bushing you'll lower the bb a bit more than an angle set, but that slackens the seat tube and reduces rear tire seat tube clearance at bottom out.

With longer travel frames you need to be mindful of seat tube contact at bottom out even with zero modifications to lower the BB. I tired 650b wheels in my HD and they left rubber marks on the seat tube at bottom out. Between that and a horrible downgrade in cornering thanks to the BB height, I went back to 26. There's nothing more important than geo. Do it right and buy geo for the wheel size you want.

To comment on the slayer you posted. That's old school geo. If you want more modern geo look elsewhere. That looks like 1.25 head tube too so you can't run an angle set. I've seen lightly used banshee rune v2 frames on pinkbike for 600 bucks. Way better geo, and you can run 650b properly if you want.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info and pics! I was always under the impression that the Heckler was more XC oriented or is that just the older early 00's frames? 150/150mm isn't bad at all. Any idea what the head angle is?
    From SC website:
    Heckler 6 and 6.1 - 1-1/8" Head Tube = 69 deg
    Heckler 6.2 - Tapered Head Tube = 67.5 deg
    Heckler 7 (2013 on) - Tapered Head Tube = 67 deg

Mine is a Heckler 6.1
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I'm running an angle set on a 2013 HD. The BB/seat tube angle change is negligible. There's noway to not jack up the bb with 650b unless you run low volume tires that lower the height to that of high volume 26" tires. If you run offset bushing you'll lower the bb a bit more than an angle set, but that slackens the seat tube and reduces rear tire seat tube clearance at bottom out.

With longer travel frames you need to be mindful of seat tube contact at bottom out even with zero modifications to lower the BB. I tired 650b wheels in my HD and they left rubber marks on the seat tube at bottom out. Between that and a horrible downgrade in cornering thanks to the BB height, I went back to 26. There's nothing more important than geo. Do it right and buy geo for the wheel size you want.

To comment on the slayer you posted. That's old school geo. If you want more modern geo look elsewhere. That looks like 1.25 head tube too so you can't run an angle set. I've seen lightly used banshee rune v2 frames on pinkbike for 600 bucks. Way better geo, and you can run 650b properly if you want.
    Thank you for the info, everything you say totally makes. Speaking of HD's, I found an 2013 HDR on Ebay my size, that is a 650b specific bike I may keep my eye on. I also had no idea the RM Slayer was old geo, Idk why I thought it was new geo...

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    From SC website:
    Heckler 6 and 6.1 - 1-1/8" Head Tube = 69 deg
    Heckler 6.2 - Tapered Head Tube = 67.5 deg
    Heckler 7 (2013 on) - Tapered Head Tube = 67 deg

Mine is a Heckler 6.1
    I guess I'm gonna keep my eye out for the 6.2 and later. And 26er isn't out of the picture for me, but ideally I feel 650b would be a better fit for my long body.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thank you for the info, everything you say totally makes. Speaking of HD's, I found an 2013 HDR on Ebay my size, that is a 650b specific bike I may keep my eye on. I also had no idea the RM Slayer was old geo, Idk why I thought it was new geo...
    No worries. I think those HDR 650b bikes are 130mm travel. They are 160mm if you run 26" wheels. I'm pretty sure that was the case for the first HDR's, not sure if that ever changed before the HD3 came out? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    No worries. I think those HDR 650b bikes are 130mm travel. They are 160mm if you run 26" wheels. I'm pretty sure that was the case for the first HDR's, not sure if that ever changed before the HD3 came out? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are correct, I was doing a bit of research on it earlier 26/160mm or 27.5/130mm with Ibis' "Limbo Chips".

mtbr member
    May 2016
    After reading a bit more, it seems the Banshee Rune V2 is quite literally what I would love to find. Albeit its long wheelbase, it can run both 26/27.5 and has a steep ST and slack HA and adjustable HA with flip chips. Its still a bit pricier than I was hoping but I found a couple in the county(frame only) that I might be able to afford in the near future. Does anybody know of any similar spec'ed bikes close to the Rune? Rune - Banshee Bikes

Having a nice day!
    I was pretty happy with my Pivot Mach 5.7C. Most of the time I ran it 27.5F/26R, but sometimes I'd put a 27.5 on the back. Previous poster was correct though...you are limited in tire size on the back and the bottom bracket does go up a little. I wasn't that noticeable most of the time, but there were a few rides where I could feel it. Getting ready to turn it over to my 30 year old son who won't notice anything wrong with it

mtbr member
    Look for a early GG Megatrail. You can run up to a 180 Fork with 150-160 in the rear. Modern geometry as well.