It's a rebuild- Mtbr.com

Thread: It's a rebuild

mtbr member

It's a rebuild

Hi all,

Want to start a project but not sure where to start.
    Got an older 2008 Giant Trance X2 with 26 inch tires.
    Want to gut it and start new.
    Any ideas on drivetrain, deraileurs, brakes...etc
    Not sure what size of anything I need...
    Maybe go with a 1 x 12 group set.
    I've got a dropper post in mind and handle bar just need guidance
    on the rest.
    $800 budget.

This is what the bike is:
    https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=24245

Thanks for any help
    2018 Spectral AL

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'd say check out the Micro Shift Advent X setup. I have both the Advent (9 speed - 11-42T ) and the Advent X setup (10 speed - 11-48T)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQTXp-Q6VlI

Clutched Derailleur, Shifter, Cassette, and Chain. For the front crank, bottom bracket, and chain ring, I'd say checkout the Jiankun IXF Crank (Amazon) but it has a 170mm crank length. If you a 175mm crank length, check out the RaceWork Dream Crankset @ Ali Express, you get a new sealed cartridge bottom bracket, 24mm crank and a Narrow Wide chain ring for about 65$..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...4efa4c4dip65iu

Honestly, doesn't make sense to put in more than 250$ on an older bike. Or at most 500$ if you want to replace the front shocks with an Air Fork instead.

For 800$ - that's the price of a Vitus Nucleus Hardtail @ 27.5 or 29 with a Deore 1x10 setup with more modern geometry. Or something from Bikes Direct if you want Full Suspension.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by funks View Post
    I'd say check out the Micro Shift Advent X setup. I have both the Advent (9 speed - 11-42T ) and the Advent X setup (10 speed - 11-48T)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQTXp-Q6VlI

Clutched Derailleur, Shifter, Cassette, and Chain. For the front crank, bottom bracket, and chain ring, I'd say checkout the Jiankun IXF Crank (Amazon) but it has a 170mm crank length. If you a 175mm crank length, check out the RaceWork Dream Crankset @ Ali Express, you get a new sealed cartridge bottom bracket, 24mm crank and a Narrow Wide chain ring for about 65$..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3296...4efa4c4dip65iu

Honestly, doesn't make sense to put in more than 250$ on an older bike. Or at most 500$ if you want to replace the front shocks with an Air Fork instead.

For 800$ - that's the price of a Vitus Nucleus Hardtail @ 27.5 or 29 with a Deore 1x10 setup with more modern geometry. Or something from Bikes Direct if you want Full Suspension.
    Itís fun and some of us learn a ton about bicycle maintenance on a project like this. Itís not always about money, having the latest tech.

Ride what you like!
    Is the Vitus available in 26 inch wheel? It makes TONS of sense if 26 works better for what the OP wants to ride. Gotta love a missionary coming to the remote lands of 26er forum to convert us heathens
    The revolution starts now
    When you rise above your fear
    And tear the walls around you down
    The revolution starts here

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just from experience that's all, not about the money, or convert. Refreshed my 26'er two months ago as well and basically only the frame was left, after spending a 1000$ - I find my 27.5er still rides a lot safer at my local trails primarily due to the frame geometry. I'd say, find a 26er frame with more modern geometry instead and start with that - but it's hard, not a lot of options out there.

• AVID BB7 MTB Disc Brakes (with Rotors)
    • AVID SPEED DIAL 7 Brake Levers
    • Microshift ADVENT RD-M619M Clutch Rear Derailleur
    • Microshift ADVENT SL-M8195-R Right Trigger Shifter
    • Microshift ADVENT CS-H093A 9sp Cassette
    • Vuelta Zerolite MTB Pro Wheelset
    • Schwalbe Magic Mary Tires
    • Presta Valve Tubes
    • HeadSet ZS44-28.6 / ZS44-30
    • FSA V-Drive 90mmx17 Degree Rise Stem
    • MTB Mountain Bike Handlebar - 780mm
    • Royal Ecipse Atheltic Saddle
    • Dream w/ Bottom Bracket, Chainring - 34T
    • Suntour EPIXON Air Fork
    • Brand X Dropper Post
    Last edited by funks; 05-25-2020 at 07:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Still really up in the air on what to do but great advice funks and thanks for all the info.
    2018 Spectral AL

mtbr member
    I refreshed my 26er- switched to a 1x12 NX drivetrain with a new take-off for $200. New Dub Bottom Bracket and a 36t Chainring brought that total to about $295. If you want to do more- plenty of sale and low cost items because '26er is "off trend".

I upgraded my Manitou Shock direct from Hayes with an "upgrade price" of $149 to a Markhor 100mm single air shock. I just gave them my original SIX's serial number- which saved me about $100.
    I race XC with a 2005 Raleigh M80. Yes, I really do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by funks View Post
    Just from experience that's all, not about the money, or convert. Refreshed my 26'er two months ago as well and basically only the frame was left, after spending a 1000$ - I find my 27.5er still rides a lot safer at my local trails primarily due to the frame geometry. I'd say, find a 26er frame with more modern geometry instead and start with that - but it's hard, not a lot of options out there.

• AVID BB7 MTB Disc Brakes (with Rotors)
    • AVID SPEED DIAL 7 Brake Levers
    • Microshift ADVENT RD-M619M Clutch Rear Derailleur
    • Microshift ADVENT SL-M8195-R Right Trigger Shifter
    • Microshift ADVENT CS-H093A 9sp Cassette
    • Vuelta Zerolite MTB Pro Wheelset
    • Schwalbe Magic Mary Tires
    • Presta Valve Tubes
    • HeadSet ZS44-28.6 / ZS44-30
    • FSA V-Drive 90mmx17 Degree Rise Stem
    • MTB Mountain Bike Handlebar - 780mm
    • Royal Ecipse Atheltic Saddle
    • Dream w/ Bottom Bracket, Chainring - 34T
    • Suntour EPIXON Air Fork
    What frame were you using?
    I race XC with a 2005 Raleigh M80. Yes, I really do.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HotelBravo26 View Post
    What frame were you using?
    That's the funny part, it's one of those cheap Forge Sawback 5XX Hard Tail Aluminum frames (large) which I purchased over 12 years ago. Kept it for Nostalgia's sake (good memories with my son when he was younger). Also looked for a new 26er frame as well with a modern geometry but couldn't find any. Closest thing I could find was a FM076 26er frame @ 21 inches (XL) sold by DengFu which has a reach of 467mm (18.38 inches), and a wheel base of 1141mm (44.92 inches) - Head Tube angle of 68 degrees, Seat Tube of 73.5

Even REI has in house brand 27.5ers in L that a reach of 475mm (18.87 inches) , and a wheel base of of 1207mm (47.51) inches. Honestly, these newer bikes just seem to fit bigger guys like me (6 foot) a bit better, meaning we don't have to compensate with STEM length. The extended wheel base, and the shorter stem/longer handlebar combo definitely makes trail riding a easier (albeit, I'd call the single track trails where I normally ride fairly moderate). My 27.5 er is what I bring with me when I go single track as it it's more stable and gives me me more confidence.

Be nice though if somebody sells a new 26er frame that we can pick up that has a slightly longer chain stay + reach for 3 inch increase in wheel base. Be great for a guy my size - wouldn't have bought the 27'.5er otherwise.

Anyways, good luck OP!