Intro and Ellsworth Truth 1x10 advice sought- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Intro and Ellsworth Truth 1x10 advice sought

Hi all

I’ve had my trusty Truth for many years and just moved to a part of Connecticut with great (relatively speaking... its no Moab) singletrack and fire roads. Would like to refresh the Truth from 3x8 to 1x10. Your advice would be appreciated on the following setup, intended to be priced moderately but not bottom barrel.

Raceface Cinch Ride Crankset. Like the spiderless design, simple looks. Not weight obsessed.

Shimano MT800 bb - open to other BSA options.

Wolftooth elliptical narrow wide ring (truly dont know how ill react to the oval but im intrigued and like made in usa to match the bike)

The rear drivetrain is where I am least sure. Obvious 10sp options are Shimano XT Shadow Plus or SRAM GX 2.1. Microshift RD M625L seems to be equivalent.

The MicroShift Advent 9sp is interesting - But the 10sp options don’t really break the bank so not sure Im going this way.

Was thinking Shimano 11-42 HG500 cassette if 10sp or same in 9sp from Microshift.

Thinking ill keep the XTR linear pull brakes with koolstop pads. Keeping and rebuilding w enduro seals the White Bros SC92UL forks. Keeping the cane creek rear shock.

Thanks!

Intro and Ellsworth Truth 1x10 advice sought-img_8146.jpg

Intro and Ellsworth Truth 1x10 advice sought-img_7787.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My wife has a 1x10 setup with a saint shifter and an xt m8000 derailleur with a sunrace 11-46 cassette. It works well

Sent from my LEX727 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I went to 1x10 on an older bike with an slx rr der, some xt shifters and a sunrace 11-46 cassette. It worked really well.
    Alternately, I just did a 1x11 with sram gx stuff and it also works well. Shimano and sram pricing is similar and it comes down to which shifting you prefer.

Be careful with the raceface cinch crankset, make sure the lockring is perfectly aligned and the threads are clean, otherwise it will mess up the threads on the crank arms and then you'll need to replace the driveside crankarm.

Enjoy New England!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Not to derail your thread, but what year Truth is that?

mtbr member
    I went from a 3x10 to a 1x10 with a fifty fifty 30T ring, hg500 11-42, and a 11 speed SLX derailleur. I was originally going to try a goat link and my XT derailleur but everyone said it was Meh at best. My current setup works fine and when something breaks I will probably upgrade to a 11 speed.

I wouldn’t mind having a 46T rear but so far I’ve been able to do ok with the 30T/42T combo. Come guys I ride with have a 50 and I haven’t trouble staying behind them because they can spin so slow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019

Intro and Ellsworth Truth 1x10 advice sought

Thanks guys! I saw the 11-46 cassette but didnt want to get ‘greedy’ with what I asked of the derailer not having done this kind of swap before. Does it require the long cage? I suppose most rear derailers tell you their tooth delta capacity now?

The XT+goatlink did catch my eye - what was said to be meh ? Its not a huge buy-in so I was tempted.

I honestly dont know what year the Truth is but I bought used in 2007 so older than that by a few years! Does the serial ‘decode’ to a year?

In switzerland for a week and wishing I had her with me!!

Intro and Ellsworth Truth 1x10 advice sought-img_8201.jpgIntro and Ellsworth Truth 1x10 advice sought-img_8160.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    OT: Ellsworth is reviled on bike forums everywhere, for all kinds of reasons, more than a few bogus. I have two of them, a 2013 Evolution, and an '05 Joker, their single-pivot. I encounter zero bad vibes with them out on the trails here in San Diego, and the6y both perform wonderfully for their respective eras. Actually, some of that resentment may lie in the fact that Tony Ellsworth was one of the few who fought back against Special Ed when they bought the 'Horst link' patents, and successfully beat the Spec Ed legal juggernaut of a litigation team.
    Perhaps some of the haters are fueled more than a little bit by jealousy. Be proud of your Truth. You got a good one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Thanks. I love the bike and recall when i was looking to buy it was much loved and I was very excited to have found one i could afford. Its beautifully crafted, in the USA and i could frankly care less about the chatter. Im here for the upfixin’ advice then im off to ride

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    you can get a complete Deore 10 speed setup on eBay with a 11-42 cassette for around $120. Cassette,RD,Shifter,chain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    OT: Ellsworth is reviled on bike forums everywhere, for all kinds of reasons, more than a few bogus. I have two of them, a 2013 Evolution, and an '05 Joker, their single-pivot. I encounter zero bad vibes with them out on the trails here in San Diego, and the6y both perform wonderfully for their respective eras. Actually, some of that resentment may lie in the fact that Tony Ellsworth was one of the few who fought back against Special Ed when they bought the 'Horst link' patents, and successfully beat the Spec Ed legal juggernaut of a litigation team.
    Perhaps some of the haters are fueled more than a little bit by jealousy. Be proud of your Truth. You got a good one.
    The get a bad rap bc of that rear end that looks like the creatures from Starship Troopers. The people I know who have them say they're great bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dompedro3 View Post
    I went to 1x10 on an older bike with an slx rr der, some xt shifters and a sunrace 11-46 cassette. It worked really well.
    Alternately, I just did a 1x11 with sram gx stuff and it also works well. Shimano and sram pricing is similar and it comes down to which shifting you prefer.

Be careful with the raceface cinch crankset, make sure the lockring is perfectly aligned and the threads are clean, otherwise it will mess up the threads on the crank arms and then you'll need to replace the driveside crankarm.

Enjoy New England!
    I did the same thing but with a Deore shifter & Goatlink.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Please, they sued turner and stopped them from using the HL and their frames tended to snap like twigs and they did not honor their warranties. Nothing wrong with loving your ride. And made in USA is a big plus.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    I’m just back from a great trip where I got to rent a swiss (designed - made not sure) Bixs Sauvage. Took it up a cablecar to 2000m and rode the alps for a day. Disc brakes are insane! I did some major descending and had to cover them with a single finger to be sure I didnt lock. Cool stuff.

The other thing that surprised me was the platform pedals. Bike had massive tires and I dreaded the huge climbs but really felt not a huge amount of lost efficiency from the clipless i have on my Ellsworth. Im going to order some cheap platforms and give them a try. I think the peace of mind gained from not having to clip out is going to make me bolder on the trail.

Ordered shimano xt 10sp, goat link, zee shifter along with sunrace 11-46 and wolftooth 32t oval. Looking forward to bolting it all together this wknd!

Intro and Ellsworth Truth 1x10 advice sought-img_8628.jpgIntro and Ellsworth Truth 1x10 advice sought-img_8644.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Very funny post. I rode an Enduro when Ellsworth was a prestigious brand in San Diego and you could walk in to Beyond Bikes and pick from a stable of them ((or Turners) to demo.

I rode FSR on Specialized to protest patent thieves.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hey... that scene looks familiar... Nepaug? If so, you have some awesome trails there! I haven’t been up there in 8-9 years, but I used to live there and have explored those trails “a bit.” From what I remember, going 1x you would appreciate having some taller gears, because nepaug has lots of climbing that pays off with fun descents. In theory you could fit 1x12 on your bike with the NX series cassettes, which would match the useful range of the 3x8. Of course I’m riding a 1x9 right now but I’d love to upgrade. I would at least go 1x11.

Watch your crank ring size riding a 26er, your 32t ring has the same range as a 29+ running a 28t with the same cassette.

Edit: saw you just ordered, enjoy it!
    Last edited by zachofalltrades; 08-21-2019 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Finished reading