How to find correct 20mm thru axle for Specialized E160- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5

    New question here. How to find correct 20mm thru axle for Specialized E160

    I got an E160 after my original Brain FutureShock fork blew out in California and it comes with a 20mm thru axel. Driving back across the country to New Jersey via Moab I had planned to install it and ride, but not a single shop in Moab or Iowa or New Jersey or in between has been able to supply me with the correct through-axle. It looks like it is an Maxle based on documentation, but shops have not been able to find it

    Online I've found 20mm Maxle's for 32mm vs 35/40mm chassis. What is meant by 32mm chassis vs 35/40mm chassis? Does anyone have axel specs for the fork? The manual here just says "Maxle" with no dimensions. Is chassis the new word for dropouts as things don't "drop out" of thru axle holes?
    https://media.specialized.com/suppor...nsion-Fork.pdf

  2. #2
    local trails rider
    Reputation: perttime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    12,300
    Try asking in the Specialized area?
    https://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/

    "it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,913
    I think it's just a standard 110x20mm maxle made by sram. Chassis width (32,34,36) isn't relevant. Unless specialized did something weird, you should be able to run any 110x20mm maxle. I probably have a maxle somewhere in the garage. If you can't source one, and want to buy mine DM me. It's good advice to post in the specialized forum and get a second opinion because I'm not positive spec didn't do something weird so only their branded maxle will work. Maxle was sram's patented design, so my assumption is if they paid to use the maxle design, they wouldn't change it but we are talking about specialized.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    I think it's just a standard 110x20mm maxle made by sram. Chassis width (32,34,36) isn't relevant.
    What is the difference between this:
    "ROCKSHOX 20MM MAXLE LITE 35/40MM FORKS"
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-2...e-3540mm-Forks
    and this:
    "ROCKSHOX MAXLE LITE FOR 32MM FORKS"
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-M...For-32mm-Forks
    I'm nervous because I tried two at bikes shops and the threads were wrong on both.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Redlands R&C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    966
    The second link that you posted, is a 15mm thru axle for forks with 32mm stanchions, like the SID/REBA etc. So it is a smaller diameter.
    The first one you posted in the bigger diameter for the 20mm thru axle.
    I can't answer the part about the threads though, when you say you tried at two shops and the threads were wrong do you mean that if fit with no play and the thread pitch bound up?
    Silly bike things happening.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestmeggers View Post
    What is the difference between this:
    "ROCKSHOX 20MM MAXLE LITE 35/40MM FORKS"
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-2...e-3540mm-Forks
    and this:
    "ROCKSHOX MAXLE LITE FOR 32MM FORKS"
    https://www.jensonusa.com/Rockshox-M...For-32mm-Forks
    I'm nervous because I tried two at bikes shops and the threads were wrong on both.
    To make matters worse my fork stanchions, which is what is mentioned on JensonUSA are 34mm, so neither 32mm or 35/40mm. Maybe I'll just have to buy both.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlands R&C View Post
    The second link that you posted, is a 15mm thru axle for forks with 32mm stanchions, like the SID/REBA etc. So it is a smaller diameter.
    The first one you posted in the bigger diameter for the 20mm thru axle.
    I can't answer the part about the threads though, when you say you tried at two shops and the threads were wrong do you mean that if fit with no play and the thread pitch bound up?
    There is a dropdown menu you have to click to get to the 20x110 32mm one. It defaults to the 15mm version, but there is indeed a different 20mm version for 32mm. The thread pitch was wrong on the ones I found in shops. It looks like there are only about 3 threads in the fork, which looks closer to the picture of the 35/40mm version on Jenson so maybe I'll just try that one. Frustrating that things are so non-standard.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,913
    I didn't know there were different thread pitches for 110x20mm maxles depending on chassis size. My bad for saying it wasn't relevant. I thought all maxles used the same thread pitch. Yes it's very frustrating dealing with standards. I've run so many axle configurations it's silly. 10x135, 12x135, 142x12, 150x12, 148x12 and that doesn't count the front, or every rear "standard" that's been on the market in just the last 10 years lol. Of course the differences between all of them amounts to nothing more than a headache. I do like 110x20. It never should have been replaced especially considering the industry is back to 110 spacing lol. Good luck!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Redlands R&C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    966
    Quote Originally Posted by forrestmeggers View Post
    There is a dropdown menu you have to click to get to the 20x110 32mm one. It defaults to the 15mm version, but there is indeed a different 20mm version for 32mm. The thread pitch was wrong on the ones I found in shops. It looks like there are only about 3 threads in the fork, which looks closer to the picture of the 35/40mm version on Jenson so maybe I'll just try that one. Frustrating that things are so non-standard.
    Gotcha, I didn't check the drop-down I just looked at what auto generated. I have a REBA that has a 20mm maxle, if I get a chance later today (after stupid patio/shed building project, ugh) I will take a picture of it. Mine only has 3 or 4 threads as well.

    *Afterthought, maybe a long shot - what about trying the aftermarket axle companies? Maybe RobertAxleProject, or somebody else like that?
    Silly bike things happening.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    59
    I know this thread is old but i recently replaced that fork because she finally gave up on me, I'm pretty sure the damper is broken but on the fork, I just used a RockShox maxle and it did the job, i forgot what size though sorry

Similar Threads

  1. Need help. 9mm thru axle to a 15mm thru axle.
    By specialized11 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-05-2013, 03:33 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 04:52 PM
  3. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-02-2008, 06:57 AM
  5. 10mm nutted axle / 20mm thru axle
    By spacoli in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 09:37 AM

Members who have read this thread: 20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.