Help Select New Fork for 2002 Trek 6500- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Cool-blue Rhythm Help Select New Fork for 2002 Trek 6500

Hi Everyone!

Been riding for decades now, but just joined here!

My bike is an old 2002 Trek 6500 all stock, but I love it: https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/...spx?item=37549

1) I need to replace a broken, leaking old fork (2003 Manitou Six Sport: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/15...ix.html#manual).

2) I would like to use the same front V-Brakes and wheel (no disc brakes).

Not very knowledgeable about the specs of the forks, hence I am here ...

What would be good options? My budget is $200. The fork does not need to be suspension, I am looking for something reliable, light weight from a trusted brand.

So far I like this fork ... will it work with my existing V brakes and frame? https://www.ebay.com/itm/eXotic-Ligh...sAAOSw2jBegPiu

Any other recommendations?

super thanks!

mtbr member
    Just looking to ride it on the street and simple trails?
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Thanks for asking! Yes, simple trails, streets with putholes and jumping over the curb sometimes etc. so basic all around, but still durable and reliable.

I like this eXotic Lightweight Rigid Carbon XC 26in MTB Fork,
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/eXotic-Ligh...sAAOSw2jBegPiu
    just want to make sure it will fit with my existing V Brakes from the old fork.

1) Is it the same as the old one in terms of the fit with the frame, wheel and brakes? 2) Any other recommendations?

mtbr member
    Looks like a good option. You need 1'1/8" fork with brake studs. The brakes should work, can't see why they wouldn't. The ad you posted said the fork is corrected for 130mm of travel, so it will be a little tall for your bike. Your bike would run an 80 or 100mm fork. Honestly and old fox RLT fork would work, you can still get seals from them and most places know how to rebuild them. It might be hard to find though.

mtbr member
    an old maz bomber or z1 would be pretty sweet too.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-MTB-fo...QAAOSwjPJfCLrm

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Thank you for confirming! Makes sense.

1) Can anything be done in this case with the 130 mm fork, like can the fork be shortened somehow?

Does having a 130 mm rigid fork on a frame for 100 mm make the bike unsafe or prone to braking? What can happen?

mtbr member
    The angles will be weird, there has to be a shorter fork out there. Are you ok with getting a steel or aluminum fork? The measurement you are worried about is the axle to crown, or the length of the legs. It isn't something that is adjustable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It's going to lift the front end over an inch (30mm's, 1"=25.4mm) and botch up the handling quite a bit. The bottom bracket is going to come up around 12-15mm. These changes aren't going to be subtle and that's not a good thing. Plus, frames from back then weren't really designed/welded with those kids of stresses in mind...there's a good chance you'll crack the downtube/headtube junction.

If it were me, I'd measure the axle to crown (A2C) of the current fork, and I'd look for forks that are within 10mm on the plus side of that. I don't think I'd go any shorter, again due to the already steep nature of bikes from that era.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Thank you everyone for the recommendations!

Would this rigid carbon fork be a good option to replace my old Manitou Six Sport on my Trek 6500 frame?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/eXotic-Rigi...0AAOSwqQpey1Fe

Is this fork too short? It is adjusted to 80 mm travel, is it enough or should I look for 100 mm travel adjustment? Any other concerns with it?

P.S. ...did not realize that fork sizing and picking would be so complex!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    So between the Exotic fork you first posted and this one, it appears that they have different A2C lengths, although they state it in an odd way. It looks as if first one is 465mm and the second one is 425mm.

You need to measure the A2C of your Manitou to see which is going to be the better choice. It would also be a good thing to confirm that the "46.5" length and "42.5 length" are referring to the A2C on those Exotic forks. It would seem to make sense those numbers are the A2C, but make sure.

Like I said, to keep the bike handling the way it does, you need to stay close to the A2C that you have with the Manitou.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    In case you aren't aware of that measurement...it is the distance from the top of the crown (where the crown race that sits in the lower cup of the headset is) to the 'center' of the diameter of the axle area in the drop out.

Measure that, and you have that forks A2C (axle to crown).

Edit:
    -A trick to measure that is to take out your front wheel and remove the skewer.
    -Put the skewer back into the fork (don't over tighten it, there's no axle there to keep the lowers from getting squeezed to tightly).
    -Using a measuring tape with centimeters, measure from the bottom of your lower headset cup (or the bottom of the crown race that is on top of the crown-gonna be the same give or take a couple millimeters) to the center of the thickness of the skewer.
    -If you don't have a centimeter tape, take your inch measurement and multiply by 2.54

mtbr member
    did you find a fork? Post a pic of your bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Wondering if you purchased one of the exotic ebay forks and if it was any good. They just came up in my search for a rigid replacement for my 26er
    -Flat Bars, Flat Pedals, Flat Saddle, and frequently Flat Tires.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Help Select New Fork for 2002 Trek 6500-7917d9c4-122a-4a8c-b705-25f1b7ac59f9.jpgHelp Select New Fork for 2002 Trek 6500-3daad30e-7cec-4898-8b0a-c5958ab8f369.jpg

Bought this Manitou Match Comp 130 mm in 2016 for $220 shipped on Amazon. It is on my 2003 Giant Warp DS and smooth as can be. There are new 1 1/8 steerer forks out there, not a lot but some.

I am very glad I took a chance on this fork, it replaced a 2004 Marzocci Bomber and is a way better fork IMO.