Help with converting groupset to single speed- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    3

    Help with converting groupset to single speed

    Hi, I'm looking to swap the drivetrain on my 2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp, and have a few questions about what systems are compatible. The bike has a hope pro 2 evo rear hub too.

    Would any of the SRAM NX or SX groupsets fit?

    I know I might need to look at replacing the rear hub and/or the bottom bracket, but don't really know what I'm looking for.

    Sorry if this is a silly question, or it's been answered elsewhere, I'm quite new to biking!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,091
    Why would you want anything with a derailer for a singlespeed bike? I am confused.

  3. #3
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,585
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Why would you want anything with a derailer for a singlespeed bike? I am confused.
    Gotta use it or another chain tensioner on a ful sus. Just learned that the other day here. I still don't understand the bit about how he made it work since none of my rear derailleurs has a barrel adjuster.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Why would you want anything with a derailer for a singlespeed bike? I am confused.
    Sorry, looking back I haven't worded my post very well!

    What I meant was converting to a single front chainring, but still having a rear cassette and derailleur. It's currently running a 3 x 7 i think & I want to change to a 1 x 10, 1 x 11 or 1 x 12 so removing the front derailleur.

    thanks

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mack_turtle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    11,091
    Thank you for clarifying. Singlespeed means you have only one gear front, one gear rear. No shifting.

  6. #6
    BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Reputation: noapathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,585
    The price to performance ratio says generally go with Shimano for drivetrain stuff these days. What's on there now, what you're looking to gain by switching and budget would determine the course of action.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the info.

    It's currently got a shimano crankset with 3 chainrings, 22 32 44 teeth i believe with a shimano front derailleur. Then an SRAM x9 rear derailleur.

    The whole thing has seen better days and want to simplify things on the handle bars.

    I'm probably looking to spend up to 300

    thanks

  8. #8
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    6,494
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrounce View Post
    Thanks for the info.

    It's currently got a shimano crankset with 3 chainrings, 22 32 44 teeth i believe with a shimano front derailleur. Then an SRAM x9 rear derailleur.

    The whole thing has seen better days and want to simplify things on the handle bars.

    I'm probably looking to spend up to 300

    thanks
    You can keep the crankset and add a narrow-wide chainring. You almost certainly have a 104bcd, and are limited to a 32t minimum (with some exceptions). If your bb is cooked just go buy a new crank.

    Cassette is the trickiest thing. You can put a new freehub on your hub, but it runs like 80$. If you stick with the existing freehub you're limited to 11sp with shimano, and crappy 12sp with sram.

    You'll need a new chain. Just get a nice version that matches your groupset.

    Match the shifter and RD.



    If it were me, i'd go SLX 11sp. Might get an XT shifter.

    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Gotta use it or another chain tensioner on a ful sus. Just learned that the other day here. I still don't understand the bit about how he made it work since none of my rear derailleurs has a barrel adjuster.
    You drop a short piece of cable in to the barrel adjuster, and secure it with the clamping bolt. The head of the cable holds in place.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    You can keep the crankset and add a narrow-wide chainring. You almost certainly have a 104bcd, and are limited to a 32t minimum (with some exceptions). If your bb is cooked just go buy a new crank.

    Cassette is the trickiest thing. You can put a new freehub on your hub, but it runs like 80$. If you stick with the existing freehub you're limited to 11sp with shimano, and crappy 12sp with sram.

    You'll need a new chain. Just get a nice version that matches your groupset.

    Match the shifter and RD.



    If it were me, i'd go SLX 11sp. Might get an XT shifter.



    You drop a short piece of cable in to the barrel adjuster, and secure it with the clamping bolt. The head of the cable holds in place.
    I agree with scottzg, SLX casstte (11 - 46 tooth is a solid choice), chain and rear mech with an XT shifter, the XT shifter has a much more positive feel for only a few more /$'s. All of the above can be fitted to a 9 speed Shimano style HG freehub body and 104mm BCD chainset. All of this would need to be 11 speed Shimano, the new 12 speed has a new style microspline freehub body.


    It is also worth bearing in mind that you will have smaller range of gears, as your bike is older, it will most likely have a Hyper Glide freehub body on it which limits the highest gear that can be fitted to an 11 tooth, this in conjunction with a 32 tooth chainring will give you a significantly lower ratio high gear. You could go for a larger chainring but then the first gear would be higher too.

    You could go for the full SRAM setup with a 10 - 50 cassette but that would require a new hub if yours isn't the SRAM XD freehub body.

    One last thing, if you do decide to change the chainset, avoid anything Boost, the spacing for your rear hub will be 135mm which requires a 48.5mm chainline, a boost chainset will place the chainring too far away from the frame and run like a dog.

Similar Threads

  1. Converting from X1, X01 groupset to GX Eagle. Having issues
    By Calveryc in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-15-2017, 05:14 AM
  2. Shimano XT M8000 11 Speed Single Groupset?
    By sfo423 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-27-2015, 05:09 PM
  3. Mountain bike Groupset vs Commuter bike Groupset
    By FlakoGT in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2014, 01:20 PM
  4. Shimano 9 speed crank with 10 speed groupset
    By eloh29 in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 08-23-2012, 04:44 AM
  5. need help converting single to 9 speed!
    By ksquared in forum Urban/DJ/Park
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-07-2011, 03:52 AM

Members who have read this thread: 38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.