HELP with converting a 1991 Diamondback Ascent- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

HELP with converting a 1991 Diamondback Ascent

Hi,I'm new in mtbr and wanted to get some help on converting my old bike frame.I have a 1991 DB Ascent and wanted to convert it to a dropbar with brifters. I recently got hold of a Shimano Claris 2400 set (brifters, RD and FD). It also came with a FSA Gossamer Crankset (CKM-6100 and a Mega Exo BB). I also got Dia-Compe 986 cantilever brakes since the dual pivots won't fit my setup. I had my LBS put in the parts and things were going great. Hit a bit of a snag installing the crankset as the BB needed a spacer so that my left arm won't hit the chainstays. But then one of the mechanics said that my spindle was too short. It was a road type and I needed an MTB one, he said. (I'm guessing this is because the BB was a 68mm and my BB shell on the frame was a 73mm).Anyway while riding home, my left arm crank suddenly fell out. So I had to push my bike and walk home (LBS was already closed by the time I left them).I wanted to know what would cause this? I'm guessing its because of my BB? Should I replace my BB with a 73mm? Or would I need to replace the whole crankset?If replacing my BB would be the solution, would any BB be compatible with the FSA cranks?Thanks! (sorry, im such a noob).The following photos are my old bike setup and the new one (still being rigged though).As well as photos of the FSA crankset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HELP with converting a 1991 Diamondback Ascent-img_8704.jpg  

HELP with converting a 1991 Diamondback Ascent-img_4635.jpg  

HELP with converting a 1991 Diamondback Ascent-img_4637-2.jpg  

HELP with converting a 1991 Diamondback Ascent-img_4640-2.jpg  

HELP with converting a 1991 Diamondback Ascent-img_4639-2.jpg  

Your Best Friend
    You need new cranks with a longer spindle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    You need new cranks with a longer spindle.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Oh! So that was what the mechanic meant. I kept confusing a spindle was some part of the BB.

Guess I'll sell this crankset.

My old crank was a Shimano Exage 400 LX (the original for my frame).
    I guess keeping it would still retain the nostalgia on my frame. Since I have a Claris 2400 FD would it still work with the old crankset? Planning on removing the smallest ring to accomodate x2 front shifting of the brifters.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Listen to the wrench at your local bike shop (LBS) and they should get you squared away.

These kinds of old bike 'renovations" can get surprisingly costly sometimes.
    I know this because I've done a ridiculous number of them. Some people never (me!) learn!
    Just call me Ray

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post
    Listen to the wrench at your local bike shop (LBS) and they should get you squared away.

These kinds of old bike 'renovations" can get surprisingly costly sometimes.
    I know this because I've done a ridiculous number of them. Some people never (me!) learn!
    Yeah, I should've listened. Oh well, I'm going back to get my old crankset back on and just sell the new one.

And you're right about the cost! But I dunno, it just feels good to "renovate/restore" this frame/