Headset question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Headset question

Quick headset question, Im swapping out a fork with an 1-1/8 steerer tube to a fork with a 1-1/8 tapered to 1-1/2 steerer tube. The head tube on the frame is 49.6mm internal diameter and 110mm long. Frame is a 2014 Canfield Jedi and the headset for the straight 1-1/8 steerer is an fsa orbit z.

After hunting through online stores Im now thoroughly confused on how the sizing for headsets is listed by manufacturers. Iím pretty sure the top and bottom press fit needs to be the ec49 standard with the top being 1-1/8 and bottom being 1-1/2 but then some sites are listing sizes by the head tube outside diameter?

Sorry if this is a noob question I just dont want to end up with more parts sitting on the shelf I dont need. If anyone could link a headset that will work or give me a quick schooling on headsets it would be greatly appreciated.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    You may want to double check, just looking at the pictures, it looks like that frame is internal cup ZS and not external. The diameter would otherwise be the same and you would need to get cups with 1 1/8 on both the top and bottom instead of 1 1/2in on the bottom for tapered. Just about everyone makes these headsets nowadays, the hope ones are super nice IMO but cane creek, CK, just about every other good headset maker has them as well.

They should typically be labeled ZS49/30 regardless of the brand.

Just for reference: https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...ication-system
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks jestep, your exactly right. I think I have the top sorted out from hopes mix and match stuff but wonít the bottom need to be 1-1/2 internal since Iím swapping in a fork that is 1-1/8 by 1-1/2 tapered ?

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Oh crap, I'm sorry, I read your original post backwards. You were right and would need to go external cup for the bottom then since you would need 55 or 56mm for a ZS lower due to the bearing sizes. The EC49/40 should be the correct one, it will add about 15mm to your front height but on that bike I can't imagine it being too noticeable.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...