hardtails with good "street" geometry?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

hardtails with good "street" geometry?

Im interested in getting a hardtail that is somewhere between a dirt jumper and normal mountain bike, something with a big enough seat tube so I can get the saddle up and pedal long distances but has a short chainstay and geometry that is good for bunny hops and street stuff.

Any ideas on frames?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think one of the Surly Lowsides is available in 26+, but the KM does so much more.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post
    Im interested in getting a hardtail that is somewhere between a dirt jumper and normal mountain bike, something with a big enough seat tube so I can get the saddle up and pedal long distances but has a short chainstay and geometry that is good for bunny hops and street stuff.

Any ideas on frames?
    NS Surge Evo or Clash seem like the best thing for this.
    Ragley Big Wig, Sunday Soundwave (BMX), Nashbar CXSS (workout)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the NS Clash looks a lot like what Im looking for, anything else like that? May end up getting one of those frames, but I think I'd need new cranks (I have GXP cranks) and a tapered for adapter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    1980's and early 1990s geometry? The only problem with them are the quill stems and HEAVY frames. I do love that old school squarish geometry though.

I wish someone would start making fully rigid, square-geometry mtbs with modern lightweight materials.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Could also keep an eye out for a used Evil D.O.C. (from the original Evil, not the current rehash). Sweet bikes.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Raleigh Redux is pretty nice if you're looking for something new with 27.5 wheels configured for street use and has all the necessary fender and rack bosses. My daily street bike is now a 2010 Marin Bobcat trail with a rigid carbon fork. Many hardtails from that era will work well if you slap on a decent chinese carbon fork.

mtbr member
    If you can find an On One 456 Evo II, that would fit the bill (similar to the Surge). They don't make them in 26 anymore but they can be found and were dirt cheap frames brand new. I've got one and love it. I ride single track with it 90% of the time but its capable on pump tracks and what not. Only problem may be that it has a 1 1/8" straight steer tube. An old Santa Cruz Chameleon would probably work well too if your looking for a 26" bike.