Good all-around trail tire to replace ancient Panaracer Dart/Smoke combo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Good all-around trail tire to replace ancient Panaracer Dart/Smoke combo?

Those things are 20 years old, there have to be better tires these days, right?

Riding trails/singletrack, not in a big hurry, rocks and roots are reasonably common. 2007 Stumpjumper FS.

How does the Panaracer Fire XC compare to the old Dart/Smoke? I see Kendal Nevegal mentioned a lot as well. I know the WTB Velociraptor looks like a Dart/Smoke ripoff, but doesn't seem as highly regarded.

Sneaker man
    darts always were and forever shall be shite... I still run smoke reissues and there are still pretty good... in dirt and mud and general grip, but geez they suck badly for rolling.
    on other bikes I have Conti racekings that I love, hutchison python that are good and ritchy z amx which are surprisingly good. But thats me I still like smokes) others and your opinion will vary.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    I personally would go Schwalbe Rocket Rons, I got them on my Mission 2 and they'll grip on anything and where I ride it's basically all roots, rocks and soft dirt/mud and sand and they roll fast and smooth as well

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Sneaker man
    ^ah see, I've had Rocket Rons (EVO TLE) and thought they were the worst tyre I'd ever used (about equal with darts in crapness), they didn't grip on root and rocks and were sketchy as hell in sand...they did roll well though and were nice in soft dirt. I gave them to a friend, he tried hem and want to give them back, told him to just toss them.
    Like I said different people will have different opinions on stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    ^ah see, I've had Rocket Rons (EVO TLE) and thought they were the worst tyre I'd ever used (about equal with darts in crapness), they didn't grip on root and rocks and were sketchy as hell in sand...they did roll well though and were nice in soft dirt. I gave them to a friend, he tried hem and want to give them back, told him to just toss them.
    Like I said different people will have different opinions on stuff.
    Yeah, where I lived it was basically a giant sand box, the only tires better for sand were the Fire's, and the accessible mountains where I now live are generally between 15-50 steep with the roots jutting up out of the ground from quads and mine don't slip, only when I crank it hard or lock the rear wheel up haha

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Negavals are a grippy, burley tire. Roll ok and don't mind getting frisky when pointed down.

Hitching a ride
    It depends on what version of Rocket Ron. The latest tread design is quite good. The originals were mediocre.

Nevegals are by far the slowest rolling tire mentioned. If a Conti is at 23 watts, the Nevegal is like 50 watts, no joke.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    It depends on what version of Rocket Ron. The latest tread design is quite good. The originals were mediocre.

Nevegals are by far the slowest rolling tire mentioned. If a Conti is at 23 watts, the Nevegal is like 50 watts, no joke.
    Where would the old Dart/Smoke fall on the rolling resistance scale?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Agree that Nevegals are grippy, but VERY slow rolling. I love the Hutchison Pythons, but they're not good in the winter, at all.
    Will you shut up, man?!

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by curttard View Post
    Where would the old Dart/Smoke fall on the rolling resistance scale?
    somewhere near the crappy end, dart less than the smoke, but fast rolling they are not.

mtbr member
    Maxxis aggressor is a good all-rounder. Especially as a rear.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Maxxis Ignitors are a decent all round trail tyre, although if it gets soft the tread does clog up fairly easily. I do like a Conti X-King rear/ Mountain King front combo as well, they'll handle pretty much anything thrown at them although you wouldn't spec them as XC race fare

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Hell, stick on a pair of High Roller 2's. They'll roll AND grip better than the old Smoke/Dart combo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have 2 sets of tires currently for my spech. 2.1 Rajin's for dirt and Kenda quicks for street...