Giant NRS 2005 Tapered Fork- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Giant NRS 2005 Tapered Fork

I recently got my hands on a poorly maintained Giant NRS 2004-2005. Looked like it has been a while since it got serviced and needed a full rebuild to get it into a good state, but it's now quite rideable (after servicing).
    Other than the frame, everything on it looks like it was assembled together by someones' spare parts, it has a Shimano LX groupset, Shimano XT brake levers with Shimano Saint calipers. The rear shock is the original one from Giant while the fork is a Manitou R7 80mm.
    I have ordered new cassette (SRAM 970), chain, new brake pads and a new front rotor (180mm with adapter).

While repairing it I saw that the headset is in a pretty bad condition, tried to clean it and relubricate but I don't think the bearings can handle it anymore. The question is, given that I am going to replace the headset altogether and I might look into getting a discounted fork to replace the R7 (something with 100/120 mm travel), is there any chance I can replace the bottom internal headset with a standard one that can accomodate a tapered steerer? (A not so uncommon mod for a lot of straight steerer bicycles as I have found out)

I already have most of the tools needed, and replacing the headset is necessary either way, so I am thinking that making that conversion will allow me to get access to better discounted forks to change the Manitou with.

If the conversion is possible, what headset would be compatible with it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    The frame needs a 44mm headset cup for it to work I think. Many older Giant bikes actually have 44mm cups already. I have a 2007 that has them.

It adds a bit to the fork length/stack height as the 44mm lower cup you need is external and sticks out a bit more.

Probably need to measure the fork axle to crown and check that against forks available, and add the extra height of the headset. Might end up choppering the front end a bit much.