fork options these days?- Mtbr.com
    viva la v-brakes!

fork options these days?

What are the best options these days for 26", straight 1 1/8" steer forks?

What new forks can you still get that perform as well as a 10-year-old Fox? Or, where can you get a 10-year-old (or younger?) Fox that's in decent shape? My wife's 2005 Marzochii Bomber Marathon is finally giving up the ghost!
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Not sure about performance comparison, but link below has26" forks. You'd have to check steerer tube.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=5665

I have seen posts on MTBR claiming that straight can be run with tapered with a certain type lower cup. No idea if that's the case or the limitations?

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hi mate.
    I ordered a FOX 36 140mm straight-steerer fork through my local (australia) distributor in late 2017 when I was building up my 2011 26-inch Rocky Mountain Blizzard LT hardtail and it has been brilliant. I had to go through that FOX shock selector on their website and click on all the attributes I wanted just to see if they still made one and it just popped up. It actually came up at 150mm but i got the distributors over here to drop it to 140mm before they sent it out. Been super happy with it ever since. Dunno if that helps you at all but might be worth a check anyway.
    I should add that it wasn't exactly cheap but the bike is pretty rare and a keeper for me.

mtbr member
    I have an X-fusion Velvet on my RMB Blizzard. There was a recent thread in this forum about an X-fusion Enix? IIRC for a reasonable price. I think I've seen the Magura Durin with a straight steerer around as well. They are more rare, but out there...
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    I posted the enix! $150 for a brand new shim-damped fork. Its QR, but whatever.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I get everything on ebay these days. You can still find great new and lightly used straight steerer 26in forks, but depending on what you need, some can be really hard to find. Not sure what travel you're looking for but rebas, fox floats, Manitou R7's, Magura's can typically be readily found.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    How much travel?
    What kind of axle (QR, 15mm TA, etc)?

When I needed a new fork for my 5-spot (straight 1-1/8" with 20mm TA front wheel), my only option was to go used. When going used I like Rock Shox mid-to-high end stuff (pre-Charger dampers) because they are incredibly easy to work on and to re-build to like-new condition. I got a 2013 Lyrik for $200, immediately rebuilt it for about $60 in parts (there are rebuild kits for RS stuff everywhere), and it is a fantastic fork.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Rockshox's current model Rekon is a decent 26" option if you don't want to spend more than most older 26" bikes are worth any more.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Just search ebay for 26" forks with a 1 1/8 steerer. There's quite a few. I'm looking at maybe a Manitou R7 Pro for @ $250.

Rod
    mtbr member
    If you're serious about this I can probably get you a very nice fox. It's been sitting for the last 8 years. It came off my 2010 Anthem, which I sold in 2011 and it's sitting in my lbs. I'm sure they would let it go cheap. Only downfall is it has sat so long the seals have started to dry rot. Shoot me a pm if interested and I'll contact the shop. It was on a large frame.

100mm travel quick release.

viva la v-brakes!
    Yeah, I think Id be interested. But what about relatability? Wipers Im guessing will still be available, but can you still get spare parts like seals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    Yeah, I think Id be interested. But what about relatability? Wipers Im guessing will still be available, but can you still get spare parts like seals?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Almost all the fox stuff can be serviced easily but it depends on the model, they were generally good with keeping as many backwards compatible replacement parts as possible. There are 3rd party tuners like Push that can still overhaul most of them as well.

monster member
    I'm intrigued by the Manitou Markhor, but haven't seen many reviews of it.
    Have fun!

viva la v-brakes!
    I'm back on the hunt for a suspension fork. Searching online, the best option I could find was the X-Fusion Velvet RL2. Checks all my boxes, but its almost a pound heavier than the fork it replaces, and $500. (photo on the website shows tapered head tube but I found one with a straight 1 1/8" steerer online last night.

Velvet RL2

I could swear someone told me there were some decent models from Suntour. Found this:

https://www.srsuntour.com/products/f...2-LT-6019.html

Again, image shows tapered steer tube, specs say straight. Cost about $200?

viva la v-brakes!
    Also, suddenly eBay seems to have a lot of used Fox forks available, I swear they weren't there when I looked last week.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by FishMan473 View Post
    Also, suddenly eBay seems to have a lot of used Fox forks available, I swear they weren't there when I looked last week.
    It's totally day to day on ebay. I typically save a search for any out of production component because it's a total coin toss if there is anything on there "right now". But, there will almost always be one on there at some point unless it's super rare or not worth selling.