Fork Help- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fork Help

mtbr member
    May 2020

Fork Help

Hi all,

I've done a lot of research on this but am stuck and need help.

I recently bought a 2002 Kona Caldera. I'm loving it and have decided to spend a bit of money on it. The Rockshox J3's are a bit past it and I have been seriously considering some carbon rigid forks but don't know what size to go for.

I found out that the bike would've come with Marzocchi EXR Air 80mm, originally. But I cannot find their axle to crown measurements. My current J3's measure 450-455mm (without sag) and visible stanchions measure 100mm (without sag).

The eXotic carbons I'm considering come in 425, 445 and 465mm.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

dirtbag
    Looks like you already answered your question. 465 will chopper out the front end slightly and slacken the head tube. 445 will put the fork equal to the existing Marz fork during usable compression. I'd put my $ on 445 and let 'er roll!
    Amolan

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Not sure if I was clear before, but I don't know the fork length of the marzocchi the frame was designed for (exr air 80mm). And the Rockshox J3 that the previous owner put on seems to be 100mm travel and 450-455mm a-c. Not sure if the Rockshox is right for this frame or not? That's why I'm stuck, I can't find any info on the marz's length. Hope this makes sense.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You could adjust the sag to set the bottom bracket height to spec, and measure?

Fork Help-2k2_22_23.jpg
    --------------

[WTB] 1987 Cannondale SM800, 20", Pink with airbrushed graphics.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    Cheers for the image.

So do I adjust the sag of the fork till the bottom bracket measures correctly, then measure the axel to crown to get the length i need for a rigid fork?

Do I measure bb height from ground to centre of bb?

Sorry, I'm a goemetry newbie. I've been riding bikes for 31 years (mtb for 22) and never gave geometry a thought, just got on the bike and went. Now I'm in my mid 30's with a dodgy back and bad arm and hand circulation, I'm beginning to realise geometry is very important.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    OK, so I managed to have a go on some carbon forks on my usual routes and while I liked them for climbing (although sometimes felt a bit too light), after an hour my hands, wrists, shoulders and neck were ruined.

So back to the drawing board.

I've only got around £150 to spend and would rather buy new for peace of mind. Can't find many 26" forks and have narrowed it down to:

Rockshox 30 TK Silver
    Or
    SR Suntour Raidon LO AIR

I've no experience of either. I've had RST mozo pros (ok for the time and lasted 12 years till sold bike), RS Recon silver (seemed good but not sure they were set up right as didn't have the bike long enough to fiddle) and Rockshox J3 (OK ish but past it).

Any advice on the two forks I have mentioned will be appreciated or any other suggestions for around £150 (£200 at a push)?

Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2020
    I could maybe push the budget for some Manitou Markhor 's if they'd be much of an improvement over the SR and RS previously mentioned?