Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10

    Is this even a specialized?

    Hi guys so i found an ad that has this bike and its $100
    Is this even a specialized and is it good? Does enyone know what model it is? I see it has a non spring back shock but idk if its a good one and it has disk brake mounts on fork and frame but i cant seem to notice a derailur hanger so thats bad right?

    https://scontent-frx5-1.xx.fbcdn.net...e9&oe=5C3710C0

  2. #2
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,360
    it is an older specialized FSR with what looks like a fox air shock and a suspension fork from manitou or maybe marzocchi. I would be very wary about the price as it is way too low for something like that, either stolen or a scam. If they respond to you I would ask for a serial number you can check against the bike index.

    If they say something about paying with a money wire, run away.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10
    Hmm i dont care if its stolen he is from another city. I didnt really understand what would i do with the serial number. This guy probably was in ahurry or something and misspelled the price. But idk he didnt respond all day and there was an add that someone wants to buy a bike for $100 max and he replied to that post with a picture. Do you guys think this bike is good. I dont see a derailur hanger so thats bad and there is no adjusting on the fork (for $100 idk if it does) Should i get it if he responds and the price is correct?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    448
    I couldn't really imagine spending more than $200 for that bike but that still makes $100 a great deal.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    350
    If there is no derailleur hanger, what is the derailleur hanging on?
    Deflated - buy parts to sell parts to buy more parts.. bikes are my drug of choice

    FATTrailer for the kiddo

  6. #6
    Sneaker man
    Reputation: mik_git's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,697
    Looks like maybe an old 2000ish Specialized Enduro Comp (possibly)

    And the reason you can't see a derailleur hanger is just because you're not looking very well
    All the gear and no idea.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bluegill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony13 View Post
    Hmm i dont care if its stolen he is from another city. I didnt really understand what would i do with the serial number. This guy probably was in ahurry or something and misspelled the price. But idk he didnt respond all day and there was an add that someone wants to buy a bike for $100 max and he replied to that post with a picture. Do you guys think this bike is good. I dont see a derailur hanger so thats bad and there is no adjusting on the fork (for $100 idk if it does) Should i get it if he responds and the price is correct?
    You should care if itís stolen. Not only is it incredibly bad karma to buy stolen, youíll lose the bike if itís discovered in your possession. But what you should really worry about is the owner finding you on his bike.

  8. #8
    passed out in your garden
    Reputation: cmg71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,057
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony13 View Post
    Hmm i dont care if its stolen he is from another city.
    If it is stolen, l really hope the owner finds you, you might care then
    always mad and usually drunk......

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10
    Lol the is not mine. Im aksing if i should buy it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10
    Guys the owner replied and he said that it had a problem with the rear shock and it leaked the air in 2 days. Would that be an easy fix? The Shock is a Fox Float R shock

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony13 View Post
    Hmm i dont care if its stolen he is from another city.
    Lame.
    No advice for you, just a red chiclet.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    Lame.
    No advice for you, just a red chiclet.
    Yeah i shouldnt have said that. But i dont think its stolen becose it has a problem with the shock. It loses air in a day or two i think thats why its 100$

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bluegill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    113
    Easy fix, use pressurized air to put about 50 ccís of superglue in the shock fill valve.

  14. #14
    poser Administrator
    Reputation: rockcrusher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony13 View Post
    Guys the owner replied and he said that it had a problem with the rear shock and it leaked the air in 2 days. Would that be an easy fix? The Shock is a Fox Float R shock
    You would have to send the shock off or take it to a shop to see if it can be repaired. It would cost more than the bike to get that done more than likely. If the shock leaks down that fast it needs repair, you probably would ride it and it would completely fail on a ride.

    It is still a good bike and if you can either get it repaired cheaply or find a shock that works that fits the spacing of that shock you would be pretty much set for a $100 bike.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,145
    If the shock is leaking air it's most likely an easy fix.

    It's usually one of two things...

    Air can seals. Search for Fox float air can seals. Usually $16-$20, instructions on youtube, pretty darn easy. & most likely something that should be done to an old shock anyway.

    Or Schraeder valve core, $2 at your local tire shop.

    Price wise it's most likely just a good deal. Just because someone is selling something cheap doesn't mean it's stolen. I buy all my bikes for a steal, I've always researched serial numbers & bikeindex, never found a stolen one yet.
    1983 Ritchey Everest
    1996 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    1996 Ibis Mojo Ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    If the shock is leaking air it's most likely an easy fix.

    It's usually one of two things...

    Air can seals. Search for Fox float air can seals. Usually $16-$20, instructions on youtube, pretty darn easy. & most likely something that should be done to an old shock anyway.

    Or Schraeder valve core, $2 at your local tire shop.

    Price wise it's most likely just a good deal. Just because someone is selling something cheap doesn't mean it's stolen. I buy all my bikes for a steal, I've always researched serial numbers & bikeindex, never found a stolen one yet.
    Thanks i will probably go get it. The owner had an ad a long time ago about buying a Fox Float R or seals for repair. So new seals will probably do the job.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegill View Post
    Easy fix, use pressurized air to put about 50 ccís of superglue in the shock fill valve.
    Idk bout that if i get it i will probably buy new seals

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    You would have to send the shock off or take it to a shop to see if it can be repaired. It would cost more than the bike to get that done more than likely. If the shock leaks down that fast it needs repair, you probably would ride it and it would completely fail on a ride.

    It is still a good bike and if you can either get it repaired cheaply or find a shock that works that fits the spacing of that shock you would be pretty much set for a $100 bike.
    I hope that shouldnt be the case. I dont really have a good local shop. And all around the internet everyone is says its the seals and youre good to go.

Similar Threads

  1. Is Trek even more evil than Specialized?
    By --Andy-- in forum Specialized
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 12:11 PM
  2. Converting to a 1x10 , how do you guys even the crankarms out or do you even care?
    By F2a in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-22-2012, 10:14 AM
  3. Everyone wear helmets, even in woods?
    By Freebooter in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-17-2011, 06:48 AM
  4. Tried to switch to clipless, didn't even make it 1/4 mile
    By caspio in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-03-2011, 01:30 PM
  5. Is this even possible?
    By lamp no 3 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Members who have read this thread: 93

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.