eBay has xfusion non tapered forks for $150.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

eBay has xfusion non tapered forks for $150.

Just got a black on black xfusion enix rl2 with a *straight* steer tube for $150, new! Buycyclestuffonline has them.

It's my second xfusion fork, and I think they're alright. Well, it's a hell of a lot better than rockshox motion control junk, but not as good as charger or grip2 stuff. Still very good stuff. At 1800g it's not too bad weight wise either.

I know how hard it can be to find higher end straight forks in good shape, so I hope this helps someone.

mtbr member
    I got a similar deal for a Velvet rl2 a few years ago. X-fusion is a good fork at that price.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    I bought a sweep RL2 27.5 from him last year for dirt cheap too. Its a little harsh out of the box, but its tuneable. I reshimmed mine and it works great.

Its actually pretty similar to a pike RC. The fix is similar too. Its really a very good fork, this is a shocking price! But straight steerer, qr, 26er forks arent exactly hot items.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Converted my old straight steerer 26er to 27.5 with one of the velvets. It was a good fork!
    Note of you do this you may have to add a bumper to reduce travel by 10mm to prevent tire bottoming on the crown

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    This one will fit 27.5 (same thing, add the bumper). I emailed the dude and got one shipped for a little bit cheaper.

My girlfriends old minute was finally done after 10+ years. Everything with a straight steerer is so old and beat now, its nice to get something new and functional. Stepping down from a 20mm axle to 9qr kinda sucks, but whatever. Cant complain for the price.

mtbr member
    Got it... and there were problems.

Installed it and its plush. Uhh, too plush. It'll lock out, but LSC is too fast and rebound is too fast. These forks dont do fast. Something is wrong.

Pulled it apart and the check shim on the rebound damper is too small to cover the ports. Damn! Luckily I had shims from other projects. But a brand new fork shouldnt have straight up wrong parts that dont work installed.

I installed the correct parts. Then I went further and reshimmed the compression damper. It actually has a midvalve and a high speed stack, so its pretty damn tuneable. I reshimmed the rebound stack to run the shims more than the free bleed.

Its dialed now. It works correctly, its damped correctly and... well, theres nothing else brand new with a straight steerer anyway!

If you guys have an old bike kicking around that needs a 100mm fork, this is the ticket.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Been watching this thread...so, if I don't know how to reshim or make it behave properly is there a tutorial floating around or is it just try to wade through the other X-Fusion rebuild thread? I got lost in there a couple times already to try to change the travel on an old Velvet. For some reason I have trouble wrapping my head around what's going on and need to find the "Intermediate Level Suspension for Dummies" guidebook.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Page 1-3 of the xfusion rl2 tuning thread covers reshimming in a very easy to follow way. No guess work, just an easy to apply tune.
    Last edited by One Pivot; 05-27-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Bipolar roller
    Just curious, does anyone know if this fork can be lowered to 80mm or less travel.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    Just curious, does anyone know if this fork can be lowered to 80mm or less travel.
    Does it have a negative spring under the air piston like their higher end dampers? If so just put spacers between the neg spring and the air piston. I've used fox spacers to drop HLR dampers down to 110, more spacers should drop it to 80. Spacers are easier to use than x fusion's step system if your fork happens to have that.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Page 1-3 of the xfusion rl2 tuning thread covers reshimming in a very easy to follow way. No guess work, just an easy to apply tune.
    I'll look through it again then. Just one more cup of coffee first.

mtbr member
    In short, the RL2 damper is WAY overdamped, so all you have to do is unscrew the top cap (whole damper comes out) and remove most of the shims from the mid-valve. That alone transforms the fork.

If its not enough, you can pull the damper again and pull shims from the high speed stack. The lockout softens, but so does damping overall.

Fork doesnt even have to come off the bike. For getting into tuning, its pretty cool!

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    In short, the RL2 damper is WAY overdamped, so all you have to do is unscrew the top cap (whole damper comes out) and remove most of the shims from the mid-valve. That alone transforms the fork.

If its not enough, you can pull the damper again and pull shims from the high speed stack. The lockout softens, but so does damping overall.

Fork doesnt even have to come off the bike. For getting into tuning, its pretty cool!
    Sweet, that helps a lot. Thank you!

Especially good since I never bother to lock out the fork anyway.

Name:  op rep.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  10.4 KB