mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Is this a dumb wheel 'upgrade'?

My 2012 Marin Mount Vision came with sun ringle black flag experts which I have not had a problem with, but they are 19mm inner width and the tire profile you get with wider tires isn't great. I've mounted (tubeless) and ridden a minion 2.5 on it, but never felt that the bead clinched well. For about $200 I could order a set of sun ringle charger comps, which has a wider (24mm) and slightly taller profile, but it comes with a weight penalty of about 200 grams total. based on comparing the comp to the expert versions, it looks like half the weight increase is in the rims and half is in the hubs. Is this just a dumb idea- more weight with little gain?

Side point: I'm a bit conflicted about upgrading an 'outdated' bike, but a) I like it, b) I've aleady spent plenty on upgrades over the years and just ordered a new rear shock, and c)I'm not dropping 2k+ on a comparable new bike anytime soon. So any encouragment ( or talking sense into me) on that end would also be aappreciated.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I'd say do it. 19mm is pretty skinny, and 24mm is even on the way out. Unless you are racing, who cares about the weight penalty. And $200 isn't that much for a wheelset.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk