Converting Shimano 8/9/10 speed to SRAM 12 speed- Mtbr.com
    baldeagle72
    May 2020

Converting Shimano 8/9/10 speed to SRAM 12 speed

Hi everybody, I'm new to this site and finally figured out how to post a thread after what felt like an eternity(tech challenged). I'm trying to resurrect my 08 Giant Trance X1 and have run into a problem. Bought SRAM Eagle GX groupset with 12 speed cassette. I have Vuelta Zerolite Pro wheels with Shimano 8/9/10 speed hub and I'm guessing I either need new wheels or a new hub. Looks like there are some companies that offer XD drivers but I don't know if they will fit my current setup. Attempted to remove the Shimano driver and it doesn't look removable. Emailed Vuelta but no response as of yet. Any help greatly appreciated!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Hi Mr technically challenged
    Sram GX is a solid choice. NX and below gets a bit cheapy - however the NX cassette is special in that it uses the Shimaho HG freehub rather than the Sram XD freehub. So you can return or sell your GX cassette and buy an NX PG-1230 cassette which has a 11-50 range, and use it with your existing wheels and your GX groupset. The only tradeoff is that it's a fair bit heavier than the GX cassette.

Happily 12 speed cassettes from different manufacturers are cross compatible so for example you can get a Sunrace MZ90 11-50 cassette which fits the Shimano freehub. It's about the same price as an NX cassette, available in either black or silver and as a bonus is about 25g lighter than the NX. If you want to spend more money to drop some weight then there's some other options out there such as Garbaruk.

baldeagle72
    May 2020
    Thanks so much for all the info CaptainDecisive, I guess I'll look at the Sunrace and sell this cassette. I was looking at wheels, can't believe how expensive everything is. I've been out of the loop for awhile and it seems I can buy a new car for what a good bike costs now. Thanks again for the help!