classic/vintage bike values- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

classic/vintage bike values

There has to be some kind of standard out there for Specialized mtb values by year........??

Need a ballpark value on a -93 RockHopper FS, in "good" shape.

I hate it when these Fleecing Sellers have a good idea of the bikes they're selling.......

TNX
    "We look for Things.
    Things we need.
    Things that make us Go"

Never trust a fart
    Unfortunately there is no standard for older bikes. Bicycle Blue Book only goes back around 10 years or so. Value is in the eye of the beholder.

As for value on a 1993 FS bike? Maybe $200 if the components are in good shape and don't need replacement. If the shock or fork is shot, I'd pass because getting replacement parts would cost more than the bike.

slow
    In this case, FS stood for front suspension and not full suspension. I am seeing craigslist posts for the 1992 and 1993 Rockhoppers with rigid forks going for around $120-275 for a complete bike. There are some partial bikes for under $100. If you don't mind building from a frame, you may be able to find some used parts to build it relatively inexpensively. If you have access to a bicycle co-op near you, they might be a good source for both the frame and many parts needed to build a replacement for the Rockhopper you lost. You may also be able to locate an older suspension fork to fit the bike, but those are often in rough condition given the age.

slow
    You could try to get this one for $200 or $250.
    https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...830836434.html

Hardtail Steel Forever
    No standard. Value is based on the desirability of the frame, the fork, and the groupset. Older steel, at least good quality steel, tends to hold value better than aluminum or some of the composite matrix frames that specialized was selling and this tends to be mostly consistent across brands. Outliers tend to be super rare stuff.

In your case I would say a few hundred at most unless it's got an excellent groupset or a super rare front suspension fork.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ive seen Stumpjumpers of that age going for around $300 (Canadian dollars) on average. But in really good condition. Otherwise worth maybe 150 if beaten

I think the rockhopper was below the stumpy in spec? so Id say your bike might be in the 150-200 range without seeing images .

I think the rigid version of these older bikes are more desirable though. Those forks are well worn and not worth the bother. Or pose potential issues down the road after use.

mtbr member
    As mentioned, there are no set prices but what the market will bear. I saw an '88/'89 Rockhopper a couple weeks ago from Schwinderella on the local CS for 140 IIRC. There is a '87 SS rockhopper for 220. There are a couple newer (07?) 'hoppers for about 300 or less. If you are looking for a price check your local listings or perhaps completed sales on ebay search.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Shoot for $150. If it's stock & in full working order without the need for any new parts (including chain) or adjustments.

If you're lucky enough to have any early 90's anodized bling you might be able to get more.
    83 Ritchey Everest
    88 Mountain Goat Whiskeytown Racer
    95 Bianchi Mega Tube ti
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD
    2015 Kona Process 153

mtbr member
    My thanks for all the info; saves me many Quatloos!

Part of my problem is that this RockHopper search is partly revenge- so I'm going to hold out for an '88-'93. My Faithful bike has literally saved my life twice from hypothermia.....Besides, I'm an Old Guy, so I'm legally entitled to be screetchy and irrational........
    "We look for Things.
    Things we need.
    Things that make us Go"

mtbr member

Upset yet another tasty morsel

Wull if another '93 Rockhopper didn't just pop up on EBay........

Discrete as I was the first time I checked over the Specialized bikes he had for sale, his price on this latest RockHopper is $425 + $63 shipping (from Tennessee).

Pretty good bet Mister TNBikeRider is well aware of my interest in that model and year, and adjusted his greed accordingly. Kinda like a Harkonnen water seller in Dune......
    "We look for Things.
    Things we need.
    Things that make us Go"