Building a 26er would love advice- Starting with Trek Fuel 100 frame Large- Mtbr.com
    GALATIANS 2:20
    Jun 2007

Building a 26er would love advice- Starting with Trek Fuel 100 frame Large

Quick story-got hurt and stopped riding for awhile, then started again on my Trek Custom Aluminum Hard Tail 26er and someone stole it. Stopped riding... 4 years later neighbors find it hidden under a deck (kids) so it has been exposed to elements for 4 years sitting, ugh...

Tomorrow I am going to go over the bike and see if anything is salvageable.

I was given a Trek Fuel 100 DCLV Carbon 120 Frame

On frame now is:
    -Fox Racing Series Float RL Suspension
    -Rocker Link
    -Bontrager 2014 Seat Post
    -Shimano XTR Crankset and swing arms
    -Wheel (one only)Shimano Deore w/ rim SunrimsRhyno Lite 6000 series alloy559x27mm

On the damaged bike I am hoping to salvage (but doubtful)
    -the Headset
    -Time pedals
    -Seat
    -Handle Bars
    -Ergon Grips
    -Front Fork and Shocks
    Thoughts on is it even worth trying to salvage these parts?

Need:
    -Shifters and cables (do I need Shimano XTR to match derailers?)
    -Disc Brakes
    Open to all suggestions but am budget conscious as I am just getting back into riding for fun and do not plan on racing again.

Thanks!
    God Bless
    Critter Cameraman

Galatians 2:20*

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ditch anything thatís rusted. Headset and bottom brackets arenít too expensive so donít live with creaking bearings.

Shifter needs to be shimano brand and same speed as derailleurs. Sram shifters/derailleurs canít be mixed with shimano.

If multiple parts of the the drivetrain is toasted, bite the bullet and buy 11 speed as you can get the whole group for about $250.

Shimano Deore or SLX hydro brakes are best-buys. Check Jensonusa for those.

Learn how to service the fork by watching videos and open them up. If the internals and setting controls are in good condition, change the internal seals and dust wipers or have a shop do that last part. I wouldnít pay a shop to open the fork and then tell you it was $40 wasted and you need a new fork - you should take the first crack at them.

Final pointer - bikes have evolved so far, be careful youíre not throwing good money after bad. Get an idea of total cost before buying any parts... you might find that buying a complete used 26er is cheaper.

Jun 2007
    Thanks Mnigro!

I will start looking at Fork Vids today and start on the front end first!
    God Bless
    Critter Cameraman

b1_
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter Cameraman View Post
    Quick story-got hurt and stopped riding for awhile, then started again on my Trek Custom Aluminum Hard Tail 26er and someone stole it. Stopped riding...
    This is something I have learnt: have a spare bike around for when you main is out of action for whatever reason. Also useful as a loan when friends come around. Even if your budget is tight you can find some secondhand bargains around. It's just such a hassle rebuilding fitness.

Good luck with getting your bike back up and running.

Jun 2007
    Thank you b1_ !
    God Bless
    Critter Cameraman

Jun 2007
    My Rock Shox forks do not work on the Fuel as the length of the frame neck where the headset goes is too long for the post coming out of my fork...

How do I know how and which fork to look for that will fit? I thought that fork post was universal in length... ugh!

I need a decent reasonably priced fork... where is best place to look?
    God Bless
    Critter Cameraman

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter Cameraman View Post
    My Rock Shox forks do not work on the Fuel as the length of the frame neck where the headset goes is too long for the post coming out of my fork...

How do I know how and which fork to look for that will fit? I thought that fork post was universal in length... ugh!

I need a decent reasonably priced fork... where is best place to look?
    The post coming out of the fork is called the steer tube. These are much longer when new but they get cut down once a fork is installed on a bike.

The neck of the frame is the headtube. Different bikes have different length head tubes. Headsets also carry in stack height (stack is amount of steer tube length they occupy).

You will need to measure the head tube after headset is installed, from the bottom of the lower headset to the top of the top headset cup. Then measure the height of the stem and any spacers that were on the bike (or just add 20mm to account for some spacers, 10mm at minimum). This will tell you how long of a steer tube you will need (head tube + headset cups + stem height + spacers = necessary length of steer tube) BUT is only important if you are buying a used fork. Remember that a used fork was installed on a bike at some point and the extra steer tube length was cut off.

You can buy a used fork or you can buy a brand new steer tube and stanchion piece which is called the Crown Steer Assembly. The latter would only be recommended if you have a high-end fork as theyíre expensive.

There is a guy who sells older used forks. Canít remember the business name... or you can shop eBay and also post a wanted add in the classifieds on this forum. Make sure a used fork has the minimum steer tube length based on your measurements.

Jun 2007
    Super helpful! Thank you!

I was really bummed about the forks not working out as my goal is to build up the Fuel nice w/o throwing crazy $ into it as I do want a new 29er someday. I also want to build up the Alpha Custom as a friend bike, by returning most of the borrowed parts onto it when I upgrade the Fuel.

Building the Fuel has me excited about getting back in the saddle again, more so than just buying a $2500-5000 29er when my knowledge and skills are 10 years old. So, I hope the Fuel will get built up and I can learn on it what I like and don't like, need or don't need so that I buy my 29er with some wisdom and still have a cool 26er that is sentimental.

I am going to raid my buddy's garage tonight for any other possible parts and then order what I need tomorrow and hopefully be in saddle by next Sat!

Thanks Again!
    God Bless
    Critter Cameraman

mtbr member
    May 2019
    where are you located? I've got a mavic cossmax disk rims elixir 5 disk brakes and 2 fox 100 sl one with cracked lowers and the other with scratched stanchions. was going to swap uppers and would be good just different shade or grey. let me know if interested

Jun 2007
    I am interested. Thanks! Can you send more details please?
    God Bless
    Critter Cameraman

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl Hollow View Post
    where are you located? I've got a mavic cossmax disk rims elixir 5 disk brakes and 2 fox 100 sl one with cracked lowers and the other with scratched stanchions. was going to swap uppers and would be good just different shade or grey. let me know if interested
    Interested!
    God Bless
    Critter Cameraman

mtbr member
    May 2019
    hey critter pm your email and I'll send you pics and we can work out what you need and arrange shipping