Bike build advice- Mtbr.com
    oldman
    Jun 2020

Bike build advice

Coming back to mountain biking after accident with a van that failed to stop. Been riding on the rode since 1977 but bought a stump jumper back in the early 80"s. Found it hard to ride on the trails in Boulder, Co with all the trail walkers giving me crap. Sold the bike and stayed on the road. Never had any problems on the road except for 2 months ago a van hit me a destroyed my road bike. I can through with only bruised ribs and a butt was sore for 2 months. Wife and I decided that no more road riding, too many vehicles these days. So a friend sold me is older Rocky Mountain Instinct frame for $50. It's in great shape but no fork. The bike originally came with a Marzocchi Z2 Bam fork.Any suggestions on forks? Don't what to spend a whole lot of $$$. Looking a Roxshox and Manitou brands. Keeping the 9 spd drive train cuz I'm an old fart who resists change, flip phone anyone! Just got to keep riding!!!

mtbr member
    What year Rocky Mountain Instinct?
    I thought they were all 29ers.

oldman
    Jun 2020
    It's either a 1999 or a 2000 Instinct. I was told it is a 26" bike. Thanks

mtbr member
    Do you have everything but a fork?
    Do you also have the front wheel? Is it equipped with V-brakes? Do you have the front brake and lever?
    I think we need more info.

Otherwise, there's this:

Marzocchi Bomber Z2 BAM MTB Bike Fork 26 inch 9 mm Axle 1 1/8 inch Steerer
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marzocchi-B...QAAOSwy-lezwPP

Lots of other options as well.

oldman
    Jun 2020
    Right now I am in still recovery mode, walking is getting better. My friend included a wheel set, Alexi DM20 rims. Also has Avid G2CS 160mm rotors. Has a Fox Air Vanilla Float R. Have no idea of it's condition of the internals but it's not leaking or trashed. I removed the bottom bracket as it was trash. I planning to build back to close when it was new. Trying to stick with Shamino Delore XT drive train and brakes/shifter systems. Just wanting to ride and let the wilder stuff stay with the younger crowd. Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I too like older tech, and I'm staying with the 3x9 set up on my bikes. These days 9 speed components are getting harder to get, but there are some components that I can recommend. For drivetrain any 9-speed XT or XTR front derailleur would work well, M770 XT cranks are really great (Hollowtech 2), I like twist shifters for their durability, simplicity to use, and light weight - SRAM X.7, X.9, 9.0, or X.O they all work just as great. I use X.9 rear derailleur as well - it has been bullet proof for me - works well with the XT 9speed cassette and a PG990 chain - though if your wheels are equipped with a steel freehub body you can get any of the lower end 9 speed SRAM cassettes and you should be in great shape for that. For brakes - I found that Shimano XT BR-M8000 are very good and super easy to bleed - also use a mineral oil. Seatpost, stem and handlebars are more personal, so you kind of pick what works on the bike, or for you. I'd stay away from cheap carbon or even used brand name carbon parts. Good luck with the build.