Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail? - Page 7- Mtbr.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 1,201 to 1,273 of 1273
    Enthusiast
    jupiter58, that's a great looking bike(!) but I recommend adjusting your gravitational controls

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Cool 26er. It deserves Rohloff Speedhub

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Just finished my gravel/grind 1x11 26er project based on Principia Mac B frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brocolhead View Post
    Just finished my gravel/grind 1x11 26er project based on Principia Mac B frame.
    Wow that's awesome! What kind of cranks are those? Are they 180s, or is the slimness of them making them look extra lanky? Cook Bros? I've never thought of making a 26" drop bar bike myself, but of course that's what Tomac raced on back in the day. And that fork...Bontrager?

All in all, that's a purposeful build that looks for long miles just standing still. Very very nice!

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burns View Post
    Wow that's awesome! What kind of cranks are those? Are they 180s, or is the slimness of them making them look extra lanky? Cook Bros? I've never thought of making a 26" drop bar bike myself, but of course that's what Tomac raced on back in the day. And that fork...Bontrager?

All in all, that's a purposeful build that looks for long miles just standing still. Very very nice!

Thank you for responding.
    The cranks are TOPLINE SLS mtb cranks (Grafton). Forged and CNC. They are slimmer than Cook bros. Stiff quality cranks. Think they will look better on steel frame bike. They came with bike so i did not change them.
    Topline Bike Cranks - the Buyer's Guide, 2015
    The fork is Tange Switchblade. It looks like a Bontrager.
    Have kept only frame, fork, seatpost and crank arms from the old bike.

Will post the thread with photos in 26er's forum, about the bike conversion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I took my 26er out for a spin last night. I've had this bike since 95 and it's still my go to ride!

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-20181029_172034.jpg

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-rock2.jpg

mtbr member
    lookin good guys! I can have lots of fun on my 26ers,29er and 650b

Special Ed
    My son's friends who race regularly, convinced him to try out an open race. Using the frame from my wife's old bike, some of my old parts and a cannibalized bike from Craigslist, I helped him build up his current ride. Two days after it was complete, and only having ridden the trail once before, he placed third in his age group (10-12). Only one of his racer friends beat him...

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-dsc01503_1920.jpg
    'Things you own...begin owning you.'

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuner View Post
    My son's friends who race regularly, convinced him to try out an open race. Using the frame from my wife's old bike, some of my old parts and a cannibalized bike from Craigslist, I helped him build up his current ride. Two days after it was complete, and only having ridden the trail once before, he placed third in his age group (10-12). Only one of his racer friends beat him...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01503_1920.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	452.7 KB 
ID:	1223721
    Inspiring story. It makes a big difference to hear an anecdote behind a photograph of a bicycle.

I looked at the photo and somehow the story gave the bike a special aura.

I'm sure the effects are positive and profound on the young cyclist.

Many good things to take away from this, like what is racing like, what's it like to take a challenge, what's it like to improvise, what's it like to build a bike, what's it like to be independent, and what's it like to feel completely exhausted, etc.

For an old mountain biker like me, the story reminded me of my own experiences and I discovered I still feel excitement and wonder from nearly forgotten events.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Absolutely. I haven't really found the need to drop over $1,000 to get something with full suspension. I probably don't know what I'm missing, but at the end of the day I just like riding my bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

First proper ride of Troll mark 2...

Hi everyone had my first ride on my rebuilt Troll, from commuter to my idea of a gravel bike. Stripped down as it is, it flew along with what felt like no effort. I have ordered a 27.5 wheel set and some gravel tyres so it will be interesting to see what if any differences they make.

Some photos of the ride.

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_2389.jpg

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_2413.jpg

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_2437.jpg

OZ.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Rigid fork, 650b's and that'd go very nicely on gravel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    My 2016 NS Clash. I have a second wheelset for the dirt with Hans Dampf/Rock Pazors on it.

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-p_20161219_192358.jpg
    Last edited by mooboyj; 12-03-2018 at 12:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-42044672_1284046101735711_6216084808628436992_o-1-.jpg
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-_dsc2189light.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    An oldie but good. Fuji Team Professional, 1991 vintage. Tange Prestige tubing, had Suntour XC Pro shifting (pre Micro Drive), plus assorted Ritchey parts. Its was essentially a copy of the Ritchey P series frames of that era. I used it for a bit with a SoftRide suspension stem, the bike likely weighed under 25 lbs at the time.

It got upgraded over the years with used 9 spd parts as well as acquiring a Rock Shock Judy with a 1 steerer (used from my LBS for $50). The bike wasnt designed to use a suspension fork, it slows the steering down a bit, but as it weighs 26.6 lbs, its a good ride.

Im contemplating installing a drop bar and re-purposing some 9 spd. Ultegra shifters I have, make it into a 26 gravel grinder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-32cfb885-e68d-46b8-b0e3-07759ecb5c21.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Love my 26er so much that I just completed a full restore on it. Its my 1998 S-Works M2 HT that I raced XC and hill climbs back in the day . Frame was powder coated Willow Grey and decals added and clear coated over. Full NOS XTR M970 group including hubs. Fork is a Fox F80 RLT. THOMSON Elite seat post. KORE Elite stem. S-Works carbon handlebar. S-works carbon Overendz barends. Cane Creek 110 headset. Love this bike and felt it deserved a new life:

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-74341451-1d67-4762-9e27-24d9f45b68fe.jpg

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-f591bc5a-93bb-42bf-98ad-f54e3a591102.jpg

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-2835ca1d-2854-4166-8667-d19ca765e72a.jpg

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-e30de711-ee71-4383-9d63-a262baf8fbb3.jpg

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-9310f8e2-e590-4afa-9a0b-72a6d5d77ba9.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice, sweet ride man. I just put together a scott scale in 26. Need to get some rides on it and post up some pics.
    Looking for a Medium Scott Scale frame, preferably a 2012 in 26.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    My 26er HT is my only MTB so heck yeah I still like it LOL

vbm
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Just built this last week and gave to my daughter to race in NICA next year. 2012 ARC but I put on a new 1x11 drivetrain.

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-44687197370_3e434cce35_z.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    A 1x11 drivetrain on a 26er is ridiculous fun!

mtbr member
    Is she excited about it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Im glad I found this thread because I keep looking at Stumpjumpers and rockhopers to do singletracks and light downhill on.
    People keep telling me id be better off buying a new bike...but new bikes are like monster trucks.

Heck, i found a Cransfield yeli Large frame for $300.

Guess ill but the $25 oldschool and rock it till the frame brakes!

mtbr member
    Did canfield make a 26in wheeled Yelli?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Good catch. I just lumped it in with the CL deals.

I think the 05 stump jumper may be the bike i go with.
    Its chrome....gonna get some bright colored components!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Still enjoying my old 26"er. It's now vintage... but so am I.

sae
    mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_0384.jpg

my old bike is perfect to work when it's snow and ice in Sweden

hmmm not good , how to rotate pic's ?

mtbr member
    I didn't think sweden was in the southern hemisphere?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Where are you all finding 80mm forks for your old school hardtails?

I have a '95 Kona Kiluaea with a NOS triple-butted P2 fork but I'm too old to ride rigid!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RX93 View Post
    Used and rebuilt most likely. That said, there are still a couple newer options. The X-fusion Velvet can be lowered to 80mm and can have a straight steerer.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Dream it, Do it.
    I found a 1998 Marzocchi Z-2 Atom Bomb on eBay. They show up from time to time. I think the coil forks hold up better over item.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & Cleary Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    I found a 1998 Marzocchi Z-2 Atom Bomb on eBay. They show up from time to time. I think the coil forks hold up better over item.
    I agree. However I have a similar experience with a tragic ending, but it's recoverable, I think.

Bought one in eBay from someone in San Rafael CA for $100. Impulse buy. Shouldn't have, but there you go.

I was very happy to find that this fork appears to have never been used. It was installed, but it was pretty much mint.

So I went about installing it on a frame, and decided that it was too short, and that I'd have to save it for some retro frame to come along in the future.

But I got as far as riding it around in the driveway, and was just going to take it for a short mellow trail ride to see how it felt.

And then I realized I should check the torque on the stanchion clamp bolts (this fork bolts on), before I did any riding on it, because you never know.

Well good thing I checked!

3 of four bolts were a little loose.

But the fourth one, it had been snapped, and was glued on! The rest of the bolt broken off in the bridge. Now there was no way I broke it. I've been working on bikes long enough to know what that feels like.

That's a bummer right?

That was last summer, and that fork is still hanging from a hook in the garage.

One day I'll try to remove the broken stud. I think it can be done. Then I'll have to find a bolt for it.

Yeah, these are good forks. Maybe the cryofit stanchion types are better though.

Not much travel on the 80mm Atom Bombs, but enough to make a difference.

I used a few Marzocchi forks in those days, and they never failed. That's a superior record to all of the Rock Shox and Manitou forks from that era. All of those failed underneath me at one point or another.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by RX93 View Post

I have a '95 Kona Kiluaea with a NOS triple-butted P2 fork but I'm too old to ride rigid!
    I've got a 80mm Manitou Scarab that I'm planning on taking off and replacing with a Fox 100mm if you're interested. It's a 1-1/8", will that fit yours? I believe the stanchions are 28mms.

It is light; I had thought I would immediately swap it out for a 100mm when I got the bike a few years ago but I found the 80mm worked well. But I want to slackened out the bike a little and now have a 100mm I took off another bike before I sold it.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bridgestone14 View Post
    I didn't think sweden was in the southern hemisphere?
    Well done my friend,,,well done

monster member
    Up until a year ago I was loving my '00 Specialized Enduro Expert. That bike just did everything I wanted it to. I never looked at another bike while it was working well. Didn't even know about 1x11 or 1x12 or long, low, slack,... just didn't read about new bikes.
    Finally, on a Super D in about November in Pittsburgh, with my poorly maintained suspension susceptable to 30F weather all night before the race, both ends of the suspension died. Looked into having the affordably fixed, but PUSH didn't support this Pushed shock any longer, and no one had rebuild kits for these lower-end Psylo XC forks. So here it is now:

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-specialized-enduro-expert-fsr_frame.jpg

At DirtFest 2017:
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-specialized-enduro-expert-fsr.jpg

While shopping for another Trail FS, I came across a Ti HT frame. Always curious about a ti hardtail so moved a lot of parts to this Titus:
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-20180515_183620.jpg

Alas, sizing with the Dart fork showed me it probably needs a 100mm fork, so I don't have the right stuff. Might try finding a rigid fork for it. But I'm also thinking about a 100mm 650B fork and wheel for the front. Seems like the geometry could handle that to make this xc bike feel a little like a trail bike.
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    That bike needs an awsome fork. 100mm sid for sale on ebay. Not sure if there is enough steer tube for you.

mtbr member
    hmm it is a tapered head tube, might not work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sold my last 26 hard XC bike....sort of. I still have my 26er" dirt jump specific bike. I also had converted my Mosso Scandium hardtail from 26 to 27.5 and I will never ever change it back. It's like night and day. Enjoy it significantly more now. So much so I converted my 2005 Santa Cruz Heckler to 27.5 and it is not going back to 26 as long as I own it. I sold all the 26" wheels. I know there's a lot of die hards but I feel the difference and I ride longer and more enjoyably than before. That's just my 2 cents and I've been riding a very long time. I won't go to 29 though. I've tried it but not for me.

mtbr member
    I just rode one of my 29ers this evening. It's fine. In the summer I would ride the 26er because it has V Brakes, and I like riding the 26wheels. I have to ride discs when its wet.

Love the feel of 26" wheels. However, the fact is, I'm potentially faster on the 29 and .

On some trails it is better to be lower on the 26" due to overhead branches.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I've got a 80mm Manitou Scarab that I'm planning on taking off and replacing with a Fox 100mm if you're interested. It's a 1-1/8", will that fit yours? I believe the stanchions are 28mms.
    I'm good for now.. rebuilding isn't a high priority - thank you though. I found a NOS Manitou Minute Expert for it. Other than being a little heavy it rides pretty sweet.

monster member
    No pics in a few weeks, so here's a couple more:

Cannondale M300 at home. Originally a 1990 M600. Mtbs had it tough back then. We used our bikes like this like downhill bikes. Here in the northeast where you're constantly on rocks, and having tubed tires with no suspension (fork was added 5 years after buying the bike), we had to pump the tires to 50psi to avoid pinch flats. (Remember when pinch-flats weren't only annoying, but without disc brakes yet, pinch-flats going 30mph down a rocky downhill often meant the tire deflated before you could stop, and then your brake-track would get messed up from hitting some rocks as you were frantically trying to stop. So from all that abuse with no suspension and 50psi tires, the original frame developed a crack at the head. Not saying it was Cannondale's fault... they were on the forefront of aluminum mtb frames, and there was bound to be a learning curve. And they took care of it without question, so that was awesome. Then I had to get another frame that was my fault, so this is the 3rd frame of my original bike. All other parts have been changed as well over the years, except the crankset. That's the last item that ties this bike to the original '90 M-600. Look at that crazy LX crankset! And yes, the Manitou Magnum 80mm fork is awesome for these old bikes. No maintenance was ever done to it. It just works.
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-cannondale-m300.jpg

Then, at my wife's hometown El Paso, Texas, which we of course visit a couple times per year, I found this bike! Cannondale M something! Seems to be the same era as my original bike, still with the Ritchey Vantage rims which is cool. It's a little beat up from previous owners but works great on the trails after putting on some quality tires, tubes, and grips. Being from Pennsylvania, I was surprised to find this old Cannondale way out in El Paso!
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-el-paso-cannondale.jpg

Btw, didn't want to muddy the post, but just on this last page I am loving the S-Works, the Fuji... going to look back at some older pages now.
    Last edited by Wheelspeed; 02-25-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Clarification on fork
    Have fun!

monster member
    Why not another pic? And I don't know why that stick looks shiny, but no, it's not a kickstand! :-)
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-franklin-mts_xmas.jpg
    Have fun!

Sneaker man
    looks like it might be a M800 BoE frame...
    All the gear and no idea.

monster member
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    looks like it might be a M800 BoE frame...
    Well, I would think an M800 might've come with an XT rear derailleur or maybe some other nice parts, and I would've noticed that. If my memory serves, it's an LX rear derailleur, and I remember the Ritchy Vantage original rims to my bike from '90, so I think it's an M-600. Something different tho' is my original M-600 came with a seat-post that was also an air pump. You could remove the seat and seat post with the quick-release, then you had a handle to rotate out 90 degrees, thread it onto your valve-stem, and pump up your tire. Kinda cool. But I guess the owner replaced it with the simple alum one in the pic. (I replaced mine after some little parts broke on it.)
    Have fun!

Sneaker man
    Just saying might be due to the long HT and compact frame, "looks" like a BoE...also you can buy bikes as a frame only and build them however you want, with whatever you have. Or you can buy a new frame, strip the old frame, build the new frame, then over time build up the old frame with whatever so have as a spare bike or sell on.

monster member
    Hmm, maybe you're right. BoE- Beast of the East? With a higher BB right? A buddy had one of those and I guess it did look similar. But his actually said Beast of the East on it near the head tube. But I guess this could be that style. Whatever it is, it rides nicely up and down.
    Have fun!

Sneaker man
    could trawl through the catalogues on vintagecannondale.com

mtbr member

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?

There is it. The rebirth of my old 26. New frame Marin Bolingas Ridge 19 and new tires Maxxis Ardent 2.4, new headset cane creek forty and new stem DMR Defy 50mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by JDTorr; 02-27-2019 at 01:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Still riding my early 90's Trek 6500 Aluminum.
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-20180729_130650.jpg
    had a nice ride today...
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-20190305_144915.jpg
    Last edited by jreben1; 03-05-2019 at 02:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    took my 2000 Trek 6000 out of storage last summer. I hadnt ridden it in easy over 10 years. Still looks brand new.

banned
    Dec 2018
    After seeing the prices for full suspension in 2019 I'm mcluvin my 2004 hardtail!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by perkj View Post
    Love my 26er so much that I just completed a full restore on it. Its my 1998 S-Works M2 HT that I raced XC and hill climbs back in the day . Frame was powder coated Willow Grey and decals added and clear coated over. Full NOS XTR M970 group including hubs. Fork is a Fox F80 RLT. THOMSON Elite seat post. KORE Elite stem. S-Works carbon handlebar. S-works carbon Overendz barends. Cane Creek 110 headset. Love this bike and felt it deserved a new life:

Name:	74341451-1D67-4762-9E27-24D9F45B68FE.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	304.7 KB 
ID:	1230802

Name:	F591BC5A-93BB-42BF-98AD-F54E3A591102.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	280.8 KB 
ID:	1230804

Name:	2835CA1D-2854-4166-8667-D19CA765E72A.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	301.7 KB 
ID:	1230803

Name:	E30DE711-EE71-4383-9D63-A262BAF8FBB3.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	221.8 KB 
ID:	1230805

Name:	9310F8E2-E590-4AFA-9A0B-72A6D5D77BA9.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	273.0 KB 
ID:	1230806
    Amazing job. I am planning on doing that with a few older specializeds too. I have a powder coating system big enough for the frame. Where did you get your decals too?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
    Amazing job. I am planning on doing that with a few older specializeds too. I have a powder coating system big enough for the frame. Where did you get your decals too?
    I do love the spec. I had that fork. It was a favorite.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
    Too many bikes, not enough time...

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Adams View Post
    Here ya go: https://www.bicyclestickers.co.uk/pr...rs-transfers-2

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    1989 Bridgestone MB-1. love this bike. I get asked if Ill sell it on a regular basis!

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Yup... absolutely love mine and it's the bike i ride the most. Granted my setup is not a conventional hardtail but it's versatile as hell as i've done 200 milers on them along with quite a bit of dh/fr as well...

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-56696987_345922769378335_6223204902332530688_n.jpg

Trail Gnome
    I agree. However I have a similar experience with a tragic ending, but it's recoverable, I think.

Bought one in eBay from someone in San Rafael CA for $100. Impulse buy. Shouldn't have, but there you go.

I was very happy to find that this fork appears to have never been used. It was installed, but it was pretty much mint.

So I went about installing it on a frame, and decided that it was too short, and that I'd have to save it for some retro frame to come along in the future.

But I got as far as riding it around in the driveway, and was just going to take it for a short mellow trail ride to see how it felt.

And then I realized I should check the torque on the stanchion clamp bolts (this fork bolts on), before I did any riding on it, because you never know.

Well good thing I checked!

3 of four bolts were a little loose.

But the fourth one, it had been snapped, and was glued on! The rest of the bolt broken off in the bridge. Now there was no way I broke it. I've been working on bikes long enough to know what that feels like.

That's a bummer right?

That was last summer, and that fork is still hanging from a hook in the garage.

One day I'll try to remove the broken stud. I think it can be done. Then I'll have to find a bolt for it.

Yeah, these are good forks. Maybe the cryofit stanchion types are better though.

Not much travel on the 80mm Atom Bombs, but enough to make a difference.

I used a few Marzocchi forks in those days, and they never failed. That's a superior record to all of the Rock Shox and Manitou forks from that era. All of those failed underneath me at one point or another.

Ive got an old Marzocchi Z-1 laying around...how long does your steer tube need to be?

mtbr member
    Hi Griz, I'll measure. I'm a medium type of person, and think it'll be at least 6".

(Can't PM you. Your buffer is full.)

mtbr member
    Need at least 20 cm or 8-9 inches of steerer.

Trail Gnome
    Need at least 20 cm or 8-9 inches of steerer.

Ive got one that should work for you...its 9.25 long. I also cleaned out my mailbox; you should be able to pm me. Lets keep the rest of the conversation there

mtbr member
    Back in August, 2011 I said I loved both of them. Must have been because I had just retired in June and was living on an island. I didn't have two high
    end hardtails then or ever and my everyday bike was a 26" Giant Trance.

I still have the Independent Fabrication steel deluxe though and its still 26". Can't change that. I guess I have it more for sentimental reasons. I seldom ride it and keep thinking I'll get what I can for it on a trade in someday.

My wife and I finally got rid of a very nice antique Victorian sofa that came with her when we were married over 40 years ago. I'm the one who wanted to keep it just for the sake of having a piece of furniture with an interesting pedigree but now that she convinced me to let it go, I don't miss it one bit and I don't think I'll miss the IF either.

New isn't always a bad thing in bikes or furniture.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Ride a Trek 4300, 2008. Upgraded Gila T5's to 110mm travel, using upper from a broken RST 100mm fork and removed the plastic spacers. Upgraded to 160mm disc brake front. Totally entry level but love it!

Currently restoring & upgrading a 2012 Series 4 - 4300. Replaced V-Brakes with disc front and rear, all new cables. Kenda Kinetics 2.35 on front, Bontrager 2.1 rear. Last thing to add is a new fork (120mm of some description).

Also have and ride a 1999 Trek 4500. Rides the best of the lot. It's like a classic car lol

I like the hardtails! 😊✌

monster member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspeed View Post
    No pics in a few weeks, so here's a couple more:

Cannondale M300 at home. Originally a 1990 M600. Mtbs had it tough back then. We used our bikes like this like downhill bikes. Here in the northeast where you're constantly on rocks, and having tubed tires with no suspension (fork was added 5 years after buying the bike), we had to pump the tires to 50psi to avoid pinch flats. (Remember when pinch-flats weren't only annoying, but without disc brakes yet, pinch-flats going 30mph down a rocky downhill often meant the tire deflated before you could stop, and then your brake-track would get messed up from hitting some rocks as you were frantically trying to stop. So from all that abuse with no suspension and 50psi tires, the original frame developed a crack at the head. Not saying it was Cannondale's fault... they were on the forefront of aluminum mtb frames, and there was bound to be a learning curve. And they took care of it without question, so that was awesome. Then I had to get another frame that was my fault, so this is the 3rd frame of my original bike. All other parts have been changed as well over the years, except the crankset. That's the last item that ties this bike to the original '90 M-600. Look at that crazy LX crankset! And yes, the Manitou Magnum 80mm fork is awesome for these old bikes. No maintenance was ever done to it. It just works.

Name:	Cannondale M300.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	224.7 KB 
ID:	1239496
    Update- I threw on some SPD pedals, and hopped on this yellow Cannondale again and had such a good time that I had to post! I felt strong, and the bike was a blast! And the other people in the riding group got a kick out of the old Answer HyperLite 550mm bars. Before this ride, I just changed the crankset from the o.e. LX to ~2009 XT. That was such a nice change because I still have 7-spd in the back with a 32-tooth largest cog. So, going from the oem 28 tooth granny to a 22 was a HUGE help.

My other bike is a '19 29er, but this bike does feel agile with it's lightweight 26er wheels and shorter wheelbase. I liked the narrow bars also. I still really enjoy riding it. Nothing on this bike is exotic, and it's only 24 lbs right now! (Changing the oem crankset also got rid of a sealed cartridge square-taper BB, so the bike lost an easy 1/2 lb going from a '90 crankset and sealed BB to a '09 XT with outboard BB. That was a nice bonus to getting the easier gearing I wanted.

Anyway, just sharing some 26er love!
    Have fun!

Music & Bikes
    Long story short : got this brand new Cannondale (700 wheeled) as a warranty replacement and had a chance to ride it a lot this past WE , while I appreciate the "roll over" abilities of 700 wheels , it reallyfeels like a boat anchor for acceleration/deceleration and handling.

I never got the "trend" for 5 feet wide handlebar and I get it now : with heavier wheels , you need more leverage.

I will keep my 26er as long as I can find spare parts...... Hail the 26ers !!!!
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So consider a 27.5. When I converted both my hard tail bike and my 2005 Santa Cruz Heckler to 27.5, performance was improved (a lot IMO), my enjoyment factor went way up. I enjoyed longer rides, went further and it was still agile with fast acceleration.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Still occasionally rocking my old Cannondale F500 parts bin machine.
    Still fun and very flickable.
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_6318.jpgAnybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_6319.jpg

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe999 View Post
    So consider a 27.5.
    I know that 650 is almost the same as 26ers but I REALLY hate the extra weight on the wheels. It wouldn't be an update.

And mine is already paid .....
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Sneaker man
    so yeah, seems 26 can be fun sometimes

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I bought a 1998 Trek 950 back in 1998. I have been out of bicycling for a while, but recently got back in it. I thought I would use it as a buddy bike to try to introduce / re-introduce a buddy back into riding. With the screeching V-brakes, 70 mm elastomer fork and leaned WAY over riding position, it did not seem too exciting or encouraging, in my opinion. I bought a 2009 Gary Fisher Tassajara last Thursday. I loaned that to my buddy. We swapped up riding between it and my 2004 Cannondale Jekyll 400 full suspension.

The Tassajara is a good bit better than I remember the 950 being. It's really nice in my limited experience. So, yes, I still like my (newer) 26 hardtail. :-)

Sir Wreck-A-Lot
    Nov 2005
    Shorn with 1.9 Conti DoubleFIghter III's, its now my gravel bike.

This is why the triple (or at least a double) front chainring set-up is superior. At one point I was cycling with a guy on a new 27.5" MTB, and he was just about topped out at 20.8 MPH in his last gear. I was still in my middle chainring, with another two cassette rings to go, then even more with the largest chainring up front. At the end of the ride the wind just happened to be at my back, so I opened it up to up to 28 MPH. Modern MTB's aren't hitting 28 MPH on pure flat ground; they aren't geared to make it viable.

Last edited by GammaDriver; 1 Week Ago at 08:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    So... as the thread title says... you are still liking your 26 hardtail? :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I still like my 26er hardtail, but I never ride it. The plan is to update the ergonomics with a shorter stem (mine is 140mm) and a wider bar, and to replace the cantis with v-brakes. At that point, I'll be riding it again and probably need to replace drive train parts. It's a Fuji Suncrest from 1995. Sadly, I don't think I'm going to be able to match the anodized purple parts as I get replacements, so it won't be quite as retro when updated. It has always performed well, and was my main bike through the end of 2016 when I got my Rockhopper Comp. Very squirrelly up front compared to the Rockhopper, but I think that's because of the tiny bar and ridiculously long (by current standards) stem. Looking forward to riding it with a slightly different cockpit.

artistic...
    No. I ride a rigid 26in fat chance wicked....w/2.1 tires.

Currently it has suntour platform pedals and canti brakes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-wicked-aterro.jpg  

WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Here's my 1994 Scott made by RitcheyAnybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_20190831_081938534.jpg

Verstuurd vanaf mijn XT1635-02 met Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567