Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail? - Page 5- Mtbr.com
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 801 to 1,000 of 1273
    The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by javelina1 View Post
    still rocking after all these years, on my 05 Titus SB!
    Your post is useless without pic! Post em!

they took the bar
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Your post is useless without pic! Post em!
    ask, and ye shall receive.... :-)

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-5720.jpg

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by javelina1 View Post
    ask, and ye shall receive.... :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5720.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	844051
    That is not a hardtail

they took the bar
    oops... I have a Trek 6500 as well, and the only thing original is the frame... I'll post a pic in a bit. sorry.... :-(

Mulleticious
    ^^

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Definitely.

I like fast XC riding on relatively smooth surfaces so the lighter and more responsive 26" wheel works great. If I bought a 29-er it would be to replace my 26" full-susser. But I don't see a 29er replacing my current light and agile 26" HT.

I probably wouldn't mind a 650b bike but the market is still pretty young, there aren't that many bikes or tyres out yet. Even less on the second hand market and I'm in no rush.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-img_20131119_102857567_hdr.jpg

My hardtail is just too fun. I did 650b on the front though haha.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Do you find the 650 on the front really made a difference?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jcitizen1 View Post
    Do you find the 650 on the front really made a difference?
    Verrryyy small difference but it was definitely a positive change for me: smooths out the trail slightly, noticed increased grip, couldn't feel a reduction in maneuverability in the air or otherwise (went from 140 to 130mm of travel when I switched in order to compensate for increased head angle and trail).

I had to build a new front wheel regardless which is why I gave it a go but I'm not sure if I would spend the money just to make the change. Up to you personally.

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    I built a 26" hard tail for urban thrashing out of spares that turned out to be so much fun I ride it on the trails as much as my high dollar ultra bling 6" travel bike.

I started riding in '89 and this bike is everything I wanted then, disc brakes, short chain stays, Reynolds tubing, 6 speeds. I find it curious how this question comes up from time to time as though these bikes are somehow less relevant, this bike will mountain goat up steep, rocky paths that I wouldn't attempt on a suspended 29er, not to mention it being the ultimate wheelie and bunny hop machine.

Name:  asset (1).jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  42.8 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Giant makes it sound like 650B is gonna change my life. I haven't tried one, but if they're still goin' strong when it comes time to get a new ride I don't see why not. I had a good time riding 29er, and still love 26ers, so something in the middle can't really suck, can it?

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Giant makes it sound like 650B is gonna change my life. I haven't tried one, but if they're still goin' strong when it comes time to get a new ride I don't see why not. I had a good time riding 29er, and still love 26ers, so something in the middle can't really suck, can it?
    Lots of folks swear by them, though I doubt it will make all your wildest dreams come true. I just don't accept that one wheel size is the best across the board any more than one bike will do everything exceptionally. The truth is that if you ride more than one specific trail or discipline you will want more than one bike, they're all great! It all depends on you. I built the above bike for slow speed maneuvering and jumping. It has just the right geometry for me which includes 15.5" chain stays.

Wheel diameters will effect what geometric possibilities can be obtained such as chain stay length and trail for example, it's not solely a matter of roll ability.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good points all around. My experience with different wheelsizes is that they are are all just mountain bike wheels. What made me stick with 26 wheels was snappy acceleration and the more playful nature of the smaller wheels. That said, it's not like there was ever terrain that I could or couldn't ride cause of a wheel size. Who knows, though, I may change my mind on a 650 bike

The Fastest of Bananas
    On top of wheel size affecting geometry, I feel the style bike itself makes much more difference than wheel size. My hardtail is incredibly fun and playful, I can toss it all over the trail, and my 6" FS I struggle to have as much fun on it. Its faster, but my riding is less spirited.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I fix choppers

Absolutely...

...I still ride my Surly Instigator almost weekly and I have had for more than eleven years. It has been built up every different way to Sunday. Occasional I think I could change it to a different wheelsize or some other cockamamie idea, but then I ride it. Doing so always quickly reminds me of how much it kicks a$$ just the way it is. I have owned and still ride full suspension bikes and I am currently getting ready to buy a new one. However, this battle axe is not going anywhere other than over, off of, downhill and through everything like the LAPD's battering ram bashing down a crack house door.

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?-gator.jpg
    "Everything popular is wrong." -Oscar Wilde

The Fastest of Bananas
    I thought the instigator was a new frame?

A God Without A Name
    I still really like my groove, I'm selling it for a cross bike.

but I like it.

but I traded it out.

feelings, man.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Are you the one that has the soma groove on Mtbr classifieds? Shoot me a pm if you are

I fix choppers
    No grasshopper.

Name:  full-cast-of-kung-fu-cast-list-for-the-show-kung-fu-u1.jpg
Views: 2936
Size:  8.2 KB

The Instigator originally debuted around '00/'01 during Freeride's heyday. The most recent version retains the original's ride-over-your-head and general hooliganism ethos, but it is otherwise a completely different beast. The original Instigator set up with a 130mm plus fork handles like a DH bike. It slays on the descents and gets me up any climbs I have the legs for.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Yup, the Instigator has been around for more than a decade! The original frames are beastly!!

I fix choppers
    Quote Originally Posted by boostin View Post
    Yup, the Instigator has been around for more than a decade! The original frames are beastly!!

Beastly indeed. Hence why it suits my style quite nicely. When I bought it I had been riding my 40 lb+ Bullit on everything and decided I wanted something I could pedal up he hills a little easier. It was under 40 lbs so it seemed quite svelte to me at the time. Ha
    !

The Fastest of Bananas
    Oh, its the instigator 2 that's new. Silly me

inner peace to make peace
    The bike that gets the most trail time is the 1998 Kona Lavadome steel HT with a Marz. 130MM ETA (travel reducer) Z1 fork with 200MM disc rotor and 2.5" WTB Timberwolf tire up front and 2.2" Schwalbe Nobby Nic tubeless on the back. I'm still looking for a 27.0 x350MM titanium seatpost for it...

Also have a single speed rigid for really muddy days, but the Motobecane aluminum HT really knocks around my 'nads.

(I also ride a dual-crown fork coil shock Bullit FS for "horsing around." I also have a 100MM full-suspension bike, reserved for guests, as i prefer the HT or the Bullit for my riding pleasures).
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Still rock my '94 Schwinn Moab 1! Original XT group

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Obviously you've got ride you like, but I'd still recommend you check-out On-One if you're ever interested in a steel hardtail that is designed around a 130mm fork and doesn't brake the bank.

mtbr member
    I ran across this video on berm.tv and it's definitely appropriate for this thread!
    <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/80894248" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/80894248">Cotic Bikes Presents #26aintdead</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/steelcitymedia">Steel City Media</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." Galatians 6:9

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Love that vid. I want a cotic.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Been riding mine a bit lately...

Was thinking about grabbing an Inbred 26er frame before they're gone forever and retiring the old Wisconsin made ZX frame but I'm just not ready to put her out to pasture quite yet.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Been riding mine a bit lately...

Was thinking about grabbing an Inbred 26er frame before they're gone forever and retiring the old Wisconsin made ZX frame but I'm just not ready to her out to pasture quite yet.
    There so dang cheap I almost want to get one, just cause.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yes, that video rocked! Very cool.

Get the Inbred! Great bike. Can't go wrong.

Seems like "hardcore hardtail" thing is a bigger deal in the UK than the States. Is there even an American bike company selling a 26" hardtail except Surly? I mean one that's not a low end beginner bike.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bolandjd View Post
    Yes, that video rocked! Very cool.

Get the Inbred! Great bike. Can't go wrong.

Seems like "hardcore hardtail" thing is a bigger deal in the UK than the States. Is there even an American bike company selling a 26" hardtail except Surly? I mean one that's not a low end beginner bike.
    There are definitely companies making great hartails in the US/Canada. Kona is doing awesome stuff which is affordable, not to mention the piles of high-end frames. But there is definitely more of a hardtail culture in the UK from what I've seen online, which I assume is part weather (sloppy!) and attitude. I think people in North America are too into new stuff as opposed to just having appropriate good stuff.

mtbr member
    That vid was awesome. The 26 still lives! At least in my garage anyway.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

I like them a lot!

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-1398521_416467458480999_70423971_o.jpg
    Yep – still loving those 26" hardtails…
    I've been riding my DaBomb Molotov – 26" Aluminum aggressive hardtail - as my only bike for the past 8 years (except for a 2 years break). I got them when my riding got too tough for my full suspension trail bike, I couldn't afford to get a proper AM bike, So I got this Molotov second hand, and slowly assembled them into a hardtail monster – fox 36 RC2 150, XT 4pot big discs, mavic 729 rims, E13 chainguide, short stem, big bars etc.
    All those years I've ridden the steepest, roughest, gnarliest routes out here, and always as fast as I could. Raced a few DH races, and many All mountain races.
    And I also climbed – having a Talas in front helped converting the bike to a capable climber. It was never comfortable – being the stiff, small, 4X aimed frame it is – I always suffered on long rides, but I did it anyway – had countless long days in the saddle.
    But all good things must come to an end – last weekend the frame cracked. I plan to get it welded, but I fear there is only so much a piece of metal can take.
    I think they don't make them anymore – those stiff, rapid, crazy aluminum hardtail machines. Everyone moved to steel, then went 29", now 650b, and I guess that's it – the era of 26" is almost gone, and there is no place left for such bikes. I will go back to hardtail though, and I'll be looking for a new set of 26". May it be Alu, Steel, Carbon or Ti, as long as they keep making the wheels and tires...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Bolted on a light to my rigid '95 Trek 930 Singltrack a few nights ago.....still tons of fun and a nice challenge after riding FS 29ers all the time, which made a lot of trails around here too easy. A fork would be nice though....

Also, my bro, who is no slouch on a bike, said a guy in his riding group routinely smokes everyone on his HT 26er.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Rider>Bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That cotic video is amazing.

There will NEVER be a 29er hardtail capable of that type of riding... maybe a 27.5 but absolutely no chance for a 29er.

mtbr member
    Brought my 29er and 26er with me the weekend before last, which was the last time I was able to hit the trails (thanksgiving weekend was icy), and while I prefer my 29er as my primary bike, I love how different, small and nimble the 26er feels when I take it out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Cotic Bikes is an encouraging option for those who prefer the 26" wheel, but it's a question of whether all the love for the 26" translates into sales. This is such an easy market to continue to meet demand because of the existing supply of components and wheels. If there's a demand it will stick around at least through smaller companies like this. If the 26" market is essentially defined by guys who buy a bike once every ten+ years then it's likely to be slim pickings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    A few months back I purchased an iron horse azure expert with the dw link suspension just to give fs another shot. Prior to riding this I had a fleet of hardtails and my main do it all bike was a 22 lb steel 2x8 hardtail with a 2" travel fork. The suspension and rotational mass of the tubeless wheelset made it feel sluggish and after the first couole rides I hated it. I realized that you need to adapt your riding style before making a final decision because I began to enjoy it

On flat hardpack the hardtail is faster no doubt. Also while the fs stays planted on rough climbs, the ht is able to sprint up and scramble ahead of my fs. On rough trails amd descents the fs demolished it

When I logged both on the same trails my suspicions were confirmed. The times on the loops were almost identical. The sections of trail that were rough and mainly downhill were faster on the fs. The ht was faster everywhere else

At the end of the day I prefer my hardtail though. Where I live doesnt really warrant the suspension and the hardtail makes for a decent ride from the house to the trail as well. No doubt if I lived somewhere with rougher terrain I may change my mind but at the end of the day when I blew my fork seals on the azure, it sat for 6 months before I even remembered I owned it

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I didn't go for 29er, I am terribly happy with my two 26" wheel bikes. Perhaps I am also one of a dying breed But I won't throw away my bikes if they are in top condition ;-)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I love my Voodoo 853 now that I turned it into a dirt jumper!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Was thinking about grabbing an Inbred 26er frame before they're gone forever and retiring the old Wisconsin made ZX frame but I'm just not ready to put her out to pasture quite yet.

I suppose this would be a good time for my first post, hello all!

I love my 26 inbred... I'm a single dad on a budget and in the last month or two, I have built my On-One for under $300, using pre-loved, and sometimes brand new, goodies I've come across on Ebay and Craigslist. Not too bad if you ask me!

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-one-.jpg
    No trail pic yet, its too damn cold to stop and take pics!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Looks great! Love the white. If the Inbred still had canti pivots or even just bosses I could do the build for the cost of the frame but I'd need brakes and a wheelset as well with the newer inbred frame. Nice build especially for $300!
    Eric

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Great thread all. I am still riding and racing 26ers. Won my class (sport B) in 2013 at a local kick back race series on my 26er.

My 1992 Nishiki AlienAnybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_6442-small-.jpg
    Looks like my 26er is the Alien (for you youngsters my bike is a Nishiki Alien) among all the 29ers at a biathlon start!!!
    Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_6435-small-.jpg

Also rode a KHS 26er in the snow today. Great snow bike!

urmb
    “How inappropriate to call this planet "Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.”
    ― Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Ride mine all the time... Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-image.jpg

mtbr member

Re: Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?

Rode mine this weekend

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    26 x 3.8-4.6. Yup love 26er's

There are still 3 old school 26 ht's in my quiver and all three get ridden with some sort of frequency because an unused bike is an sad thing...

me.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Still ride mine quite regularly, both my Al (front suspension) and my Ti rigid.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm running mine (456evo) rigid for the winter and enjoying it a lot. Totally different vibe, but surprisingly forgiving with 2.4 Ardents

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I love my 26, and I just built an on-one 456 with a 150mm revelation dual air

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Can't fade 26. Kickin' my Marzocchi MX Pro ETA and clover Access (when Performance made em for $99 frame down Mt. Wilson, Millard, SART, Red Box, Chilao (all SoCal) is the shiz. My Chumba EVO is like 'what rocks?' but with the HT it's like white-water rafting for your legs. Wooo!

Si vales, valeo.
    Though it's not my main bike, I still have a fun little Gary Fisher GED - fun geo on that one! (Main bike is a custom 6point7...also a 26" bike.)
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lsdfuture View Post
    clover Access (when Performance made em for $99 frame
    I bought one of these from a guy in my neighborhood, just loved the look of that tubeset. Cleaned it up for a co-worker and when I was done I had to tell myself that I didn't like aluminum and that it had to go. It was a hard decision, but the right one for my co-worker. He rocks that thing as an SS, but needs to get it dirtier.

mtbr member
    As much hype there is about 27.5 and 29, I'm more of a fan of the good old 26.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    With 855 responses & counting, I'm pretty sure the 26" is alive and well. Don't believe the hype! I'll never sell my Yeti ARC...it's a timeless frame & requires zero maintenance. Too bad they discontinued it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Another +1 here for the perfection of the 26" wheel -- let's keep growing this thread strong and make sure the industry understands!!

blog hogs
    Feb 2010
    Just say no to 9er's.
    Ignore them till they go away.It's corporate policy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tojnom View Post
    With 855 responses & counting, I'm pretty sure the 26" is alive and well. Don't believe the hype! I'll never sell my Yeti ARC...it's a timeless frame & requires zero maintenance. Too bad they discontinued it...
    They discontinued it, because of simple things - it is mantenance free and long lasting - the modern industry doesn't like that

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Another +1 here for the perfection of the 26" wheel -- let's keep growing this thread strong and make sure the industry understands!!
    If it is not just the industry that sets these standards and stops producing 26" by force In my country all the sellers are recommending 29" - even to a 150cm tall person

mtbr member
    Once again I had a hell of a ride above my 26" ht. My mate on a 29" ht enjoyed the ride the same. Just make sure you have a great time whatever the wheelsize. Fitness & a good mood are way more important than equipment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Extra Hardtail

I just de-squished my 456, and it's actually a lot more fun (and comfortable) than I expected. My trails aren't really gnarly, so the 2.4 Ardents take the edge off enough to keep me rolling pretty well. When things get rough it can be harsh, but it's sorta like when I ditched rear suspension for a hardtail; there were drawbacks, but I appreciated different aspects of the ride, and loved the efficiency on the climbs. I'm sure I'll slap the float back on in the spring, but till then I'm keeping things minimal!

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-unnamed.jpg

mtbr member
    Cold. Dead. Hands.
    Don't buy all the lies that they feed ya.

mtbr member

Just finished this build! Ragley Piglet 2!

2014 Ragley Piglet 2 Frame Build
    - FOX Float 32 120mm CTD Fork
    - Mavic Crosstrail rims
    - Kenda Nevegal tires 2.35 (F) 2.1 (R)
    - SRAM X9 Shifters and FD
    - SRAM X7 RD and GXP crankset
    - 3x9 converted to 2x9 22/32/BASH
    - SRAM PG-990 Cassette 11-34
    - Hayes Prime Pro Brakes, Rotors 180 (F) 160 (R)
    - Lizard Skins Peaty Lock-on Grips
    - Answer XC/Trail 685 Pro Taper bar
    - Truvativ AKA 60mm stem
    - Nukeproof Warhead Headset 44IESS
    - Jagwire Hyper cables and housing
    - Answer Rove FR flat pedals
    - Hope QR seat clamp
    - Hope lighweight bash guard (34T)
    - Blackspire Stinger chain guide (ISCG 05)
    Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-image1.jpgAnybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-image2.jpgAnybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-image3.jpgAnybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-image4.jpgAnybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-image5.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by phirebug View Post
    Cold. Dead. Hands.
    Your hands do take a beating on the rigid forks, but it's not too bad. As for being cold, I wear ski gloves when winter riding, so I'm ok

:P

mtbr member
    Are the brits kicking a$$ in small builder cool hardtail frames or what?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    Are the brits kicking a$$ in small builder cool hardtail frames or what?
    Totally. Wish it was easier to find a cool steel hardtail frame, Canadian owned and/or made for less than 700 bucks. There are companies starting to come out though. Check out these guys: RSD Bikes - they're making some pretty sweet hardtails.

mtbr member
    Totally. Wish it was easier to find a cool steel hardtail frame, Canadian owned and/or made for less than 700 bucks. There are companies starting to come out though. Check out these guys: RSD Bikes - they're making some pretty sweet hardtails.
    Thanks for that! A frame like those is pretty much exactly what
    I have been looking for. Prices?

mtbr member
    I just emailed them for pricing info

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Not sure yet, but the company is getting their MTB offering rolling in 2014, so keep an eye out. I've taken a brief roll around on the Ti 26er and the 29er and they feel effing sweet. These guys are outta Toronto Canada (me too), so I'm pumped to have something cool happening local.

mtbr member
    From RSD:

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for your email.
    All of our bikes will be available in April. All offshore R853 frames are $999 and the USA made frame is $1499, which is available as a frame only.
    Complete R853 bike start at $2499 retail up to $4699 retail.
    You can go to any bike shops and ask them to pre-order your frame or complete bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    And there you have it.

mtbr member
    I received that Piglet frame from Chain Reaction in less than a week for $313 and free shipping

mtbr member
    Oh yeah, love my old Cotic Soul -04 and right now a new one is under construction. Check out the progress of the build: The Birth of a Bike: Part 1 - Hillside Cycling

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudviking View Post
    And remember, opinions are like a**holes, 26" wheels will be around longer than your
    opinion. I do still enjoy my flatbars and 80mm Zoke from 2000. Why is it people with
    older rides still love em, and people with newer rides always seem to want something
    different and the "Next best thing".
    Amen!
    urmb
    “How inappropriate to call this planet "Earth," when it is clearly "Ocean.”
    ― Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I still rip it on my early 90's Scott, that now has a rigid fork. Fun ride that I will never get rid of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwhitey View Post
    I love my 26, and I just built an on-one 456 with a 150mm revelation dual air
    Just transplanted my no longer ridden Rockhopper bits to a 456, with a couple modifications. Winter here, but I can't wait to thrash it on the local spots.

mtbr member

Does it get any better than this?!

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-piglet-maui_anaheim-hills.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-anaheim-hills.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Ha I was transferring the parts off my old rockhopper, but I've realized the only thing that made it to the 456 is the WTB free ride wheel set and the seatpost clamp.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    i'm still constantly upgrading my 26" gt avalanche. i still believe that 26" wheels are still the most ideal for mountain bikes. i've tried 29ers and they ride great. all the hype about the wheel size rings true but, to me, it's sluggish, especially on tight turns/corners. also i just don't like the looks of it (looks clunky IMHO).

it's quite funny: i read an article recently that a certain 29er had its geometry tweaked for it to behave more like a 26er. i just had a loud chuckle and said out loud: why not build a better spec 26er instead!

personally, i don't get the "new" wheel sizes. 29, 650b. i mean why reinvent the wheel? why not redirect all those r and d resources to doing something that would truly revolutionize and evolve mountain bikes and riding them, like, i don't know...how about getting rid of that clunky, overhanging, vulnerable and expensive rear derailleur? refine or invent something similar to the rolohf internal shifting system.

26 ain't dead! it has been with us for the past 30 years, it will be with us for the next 30 years despite what the marketing guys says. at worse it will be a niche segment, just like what the 29ers were a decade ago. at best, it will stay on par with the other sizes as part of the frame/biking sizing scheme (xs-s frame sizes will have 26 inch wheels, m-l sizes will have 650b and xl-xxl will have the 29 ones).

just my thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I don't have any experience with 27.6 wheels, but I think it's cool to have the option of 29ers. They suit certain trails well, and do maintain momentum better, which is handy on hardtails and rigid bikes. I just prefer the snappyness of 26 wheels, and like fat rubber, which gets really heavy on 29ers.

mtbr member
    Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-photo-13-.jpg
    still dig mine. i'm back on 20s, too! bmxican roots..

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I ride a 26" hardtail............love the snappy acceleration and the control of the bike. Mine is a 2010 and I continue to upgrade it. Eventually, I would like to build up a steel or titanium 26" hardtail light and strong. That Cotic looks pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Hi everyone, I just bought my first MTB. It is a 26 hardtail. Went to do my first ride yesterday and I had a great time. Hope this will get me into the MTB world. I have not tried 29er but I will stay with the 26 for a while.

2008 Lapierre frame
    Sram x0 shifters (front and rear)
    Rock Shox Reba SL Fork
    Avid Elixir Five Disc Brakes
    Sram X.9 Rear Derailleur
    Shimano SLX Front Derailleur
    Shimano LX Crankset

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-lapierre.jpg

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Just built this 2011 Stumpy Comp up from spare parts.
    Rides quite nicely...

Roval Control SL wheels, Zee 1x10 with RaceFace ring, SID Race forks with Team internals.

10.4kg

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-20131214-162227-150.jpg

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-20131215-150340-061.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Still riding the hardtail. Did 21 miles on it out at Hobbs Thursday afternoon.
    '01 Schwinn HG Comp - '12 Giant Defy 1 - '14 Kona JtS - '18 Rocky Mtn Altitude A30 - '19 Scott Spark RC Team

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have a steel 29er hard-tail (1x9) but I also have this ti 26er SS.

I enjoy the 29er, but this particular 26er is a blast on tight single track. The SS takes a lot out of this old 55 year old, but on the flip side its pure and simple and really light. The differences between transitioning back and forth from 26er to 29er is less of an issue for me than the changes in riding geared vs. SS which really demands a totally different riding style.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, its time for the old girl to be retired. Got the word today that the chain stay is cracked on my 26er.

It started like this... lived this way through a lot of hard riding

Then it was like this for a while... rode awesome, and was surprisingly fast. Felt like a really fast BMX bike.

Finally, right at the end, she served me well.

Really, the frame was probably cracked sometime between the 2nd and 3rd photo, yet it still stood up to my Clyde weight and only moaned a little. My mechanic found the crack while he was inspecting the frame to get it ready for a tune up.

So now, what do I do? That is a lifetime warranty frame but what can Trek really give me that is worth anything? I already have a 29er and a road bike, can't afford another new bike even at a discounted price. Might go see what my options are but this frame holds some sentimental value so I might just hang it on the wall.

Any suggestions on what frame to replace it with? Don't want to spend a ton of cash on new wheels and brakes to go disc so thinking about looking for an old Explosif or other Kona V-Brake frame. Budget is tight, like sub $150.
    Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I lucked into my 2011 Inbred with the swapout dropouts - I think that was the last Inbred model they made with v-brake mounts. If you can find older Inbred frame, I'd definitely recommend it. Also, older Surly 1x1 frames might be available in your budget. Maybe even a Troll. LHT would work too.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah I was trying to find a v-brake Inbred frame but they seem to be unobtnium. Same with the old Surly Instigator (curved top tube.) That is a 1x1 fork on the frame right now so if I could find an old 1x1 frame that would be sweet, too, but and an SS rigid MTB might be fun for a backup/urban bike. Guess I just need to keep my eyes open. My Mechanic is looking through his old bike collection, seeing if there is anythign he's willing to part with. Advantage to riding the same size bike as the guy that works on yours.
    Eric

B3ginr
    Sep 2013
    I still ride my Kona Explosif 26" HT. I'm adding a Pivot Mach 429 Carbon so the Kona is about to become a single speed... just can't get rid of it!
    Great Success REQUIRES Great Effort!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This year I got my hardtail back from my son. It is a Bontrager Ti Lite. I went over the bike and replaced the bottom bracket and adjusted what needed to be adjusted. I started riding it again and realized how good a bike it really is. In November, I realized that I had not ridden my dual suspension bike the whole year.
    Friday, I went out for a ride in the snow and without even thinking, I grabbed my Bontrager and went.
    I guess you can say that I still like my 26" hardtail

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    yeah I like them a lot. Almost as much as rigid bikes. And where I live the trails are the worst thing for a 26 hardtail. I will be driving far to find trails that are fun on my new hard tail bike, and avoiding the trials trails we mostly have here with it. OK I have a sled for bombing those trails, but never really loved the enduro/freeriding like I did going real fast singletrack on a lightweight rigid .. ahem hard tailer.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by eoliva11 View Post

Name:	Piglet and Maui_Anaheim Hills.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	173.3 KB 
ID:	855129

If it does("Does it get any better than this?!").....it ain't much,regardless of what wheel size you happen to be on

(Still loving and rolling nothing but 29"/700c,except for the Xtracycle,here,but eyeballing Surly Troll frames hard knowing I'll be buying/building up a frame soon )
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    just finished a rebuild on my '93 Litespeed Obed. I raced it last winter and was so disgusted by my cockpit set up, I hung it up and didn't ride it for the rest of the year.

shortened the stem, put a riser bar on it, cleaned her up and went Avid Elixir on the front brake. keeping it V-brake in the back for now. initial run on it felt pretty good. braking and all. will take it out on the trails when they are a little dryer for a more rigorous test of the brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rupps5 View Post
    Rode mine this weekend

You got rid of the 650's?

mtbr member
    Well, its time for the old girl to be retired. Got the word today that the chain stay is cracked on my 26er.

Really, the frame was probably cracked sometime between the 2nd and 3rd photo, yet it still stood up to my Clyde weight and only moaned a little. My mechanic found the crack while he was inspecting the frame to get it ready for a tune up.

So now, what do I do? That is a lifetime warranty frame but what can Trek really give me that is worth anything? I already have a 29er and a road bike, can't afford another new bike even at a discounted price. Might go see what my options are but this frame holds some sentimental value so I might just hang it on the wall.

Any suggestions on what frame to replace it with? Don't want to spend a ton of cash on new wheels and brakes to go disc so thinking about looking for an old Explosif or other Kona V-Brake frame. Budget is tight, like sub $150.
    See what Trek will do for warranty replacement. Trade the frame they give you to someone for one you can use, or sell it and look for a replacement.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
    See what Trek will do for warranty replacement. Trade the frame they give you to someone for one you can use, or sell it and look for a replacement.

That is exactly what is happening. I talked to the bike shop I bought it from all those years ago and they said what they may end up doing is using my credit toward a bike for the shop and "buying out" the credit with either store credit or cash.

In the mean time, I am trying to "win" a frame on ebay at the moment. Its one that I've dreamt about since the late 90's. So we'll see how that goes!
    Eric

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Still only have a 26 and learning to use it.

mtbr member

You bet !

Just finished building this one, I love it !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-photo-2.jpg  

Old, Slow and now FAT! :)
    I decided to ride my old 26er hard-tail today on more serious terrain (I usually only use it with my kids and walking the dog) but felt the need to remember what the old days were like.

It started off well with the bike making short work of the initial climbs, aided by the wind behind my back..

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_0485.jpg

But then the ride turned hard as I rounded the mountain and climbed to the top with the wind in my face. Today it was brutal with wind bursts that could stop you dead even on downhills. While I was riding a local weather station recorded 63 mph wind burst with the average speed being about 40-45 mph, but that was in the valley. On top of the mountain it was probably pushing 80+ as times. Several times I was blown off the trail, I was pushed uphill without the need to pedal, I had granny ring excursions just to pedal downhill. It was insanity.

With all the noise of the wind in my ears and the wind driven dirt pounding me I didn't notice the crank bolt coming loose and then this happened!

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_0488.jpg

The crank started to wobble and at first I didn't believe it. I just thought it was me being blown around by the wind again and then the crank totally detached from the bike but remained attached to my foot. Oops! I don't know the last time I checked the crank bolts - probably a year - and those e13 cranks have a habit of coming loose. Shitty crank.

I never found the crank bolt and the way back to the car was into the wind. Luckily I was near the end of the ride and it wasn't too far. I walked part way and coasted the rest.

It was a fun experience with the sensory stupidity of it all no doubt heighten by the wind but I have to admit that my current ride (a Tallboy LTc) is by far the better bike. I think it's still good to have both bikes in the stable even though I don't ride this one much anymore as it keeps me honest with regards to my skills and abilities. No hiding lack of skills on this bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joel63 View Post
    Just finished building this one, I love it !
    I love mine!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    This bad boy has gotten me through the craziest downhills...jumps...drops and still gets the job done no problem!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-photo-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I still have three 26" MTB's, two Rigor Mootis & a YBB. All three still have V-brakes so I'm now looking for a new front V-brake fork, these are now very rare! I can hear you now, "V-brakes!" Yes, V-brakes are very simple, light wight and I live where it's dry. Plus I use Ritchey Red V-brake pads on ceramic rims. Ex MTB racer so have a few sets of racing wheels after many years of racing.

I have had pain in both shoulders for sometime and just had surgery to repair the issue / issue's. The Dr. said it's to late I have arthritis / bone on bone in both shoulders. I'm 50+ and now need both shoulders replaced. My shoulders hurt after about 1.5 hr. ride on my urban Rigor with a rigid Ti. fork.

This is why I'm looking to buy a front suspension fork for my urban Rigor. I will be listing my single track ripping 18" Rigor frame and pickup another 18" V-brake YBB frame, it's the small little bumps that irritate my shoulders. I still love fast tight single track.

AZ

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Sun Lover View Post
    I still have three 26" MTB's, two Rigor Mootis & a YBB. All three still have V-brakes so I'm now looking for a new front V-brake fork, these are now very rare! I can hear you now, "V-brakes!" Yes, V-brakes are very simple, light wight and I live where it's dry. Plus I use Ritchey Red V-brake pads on ceramic rims. Ex MTB racer so have a few sets of racing wheels after many years of racing.

I have had pain in both shoulders for sometime and just had surgery to repair the issue / issue's. The Dr. said it's to late I have arthritis / bone on bone in both shoulders. I'm 50+ and now need both shoulders replaced. My shoulders hurt after about 1.5 hr. ride on my urban Rigor with a rigid Ti. fork.

This is why I'm looking to buy a front suspension fork for my urban Rigor. I will be listing my single track ripping 18" Rigor frame and pickup another 18" V-brake YBB frame, it's the small little bumps that irritate my shoulders. I still love fast tight single track.

AZ
    Do your self a huge favor and just upgrade to a new ride. Im not one to buy into new technology easy, but disc brakes , tubesless disc rims and tires, and contemporary suspension are all going to add to your comfort ane take you bike's performance off the charts. Ive been riding since before V-brakes, so I can appreciate how well old stuff can work, but dont deny yourself the better technology that has come to our sport

29ers Forever
    Do your self a huge favor and just upgrade to a new ride. Im not one to buy into new technology easy, but disc brakes , tubesless disc rims and tires, and contemporary suspension are all going to add to your comfort ane take you bike's performance off the charts. Ive been riding since before V-brakes, so I can appreciate how well old stuff can work, but dont deny yourself the better technology that has come to our sport
    And because it is an urban bike you can buy a 700c bike with either rim or disk brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Sir, with all do respect I can see you have never had your leg over the top tube of a 26" YBB or a Rigor Mootis MTB! And I'm running "tubeless" tire setup. NO way am I dumping my 26" Moots with V-brakes! And I also raced MTB's before front shocks or clipless pedals.

And I have my leg over a landyacht / slow handing 29er. Notice how they don't call a 29er a Mountain Bike it's called a 29er for a reason. :- )

Not trying to start anything with Mr. jcitizen or any other rider. You like what you ride I love my Moots & I'm not giving them up. Some like GM's and some like Fords, to each their own.

AZ

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ha, all that matters is you dig your ride, man! Thought that more give in your tires etc. would relieve you of some of the pain you're getting in your shoulders etc.

Your love of your v-brakes has me thinking you have never tried a set of wide tubeless specific rims with some high volume rubber at lower psi. It's a game changer for comfort and traction and the lack of pinch flats. I've been doing hardtail 26 and 29 and they both have their pluses. I'm gonna spend this season on the wagon wheels to switch it up, but I'm also gonna keep my rigid 26er as my "other" bike. Wheelsize isn't the huge factor it is cracked up to be when you compare it to geometry and tire choice & set up. My ride last year was a slack hardtail, so this years 29er is actually twitchier even with it's big ass wheels. Landyachts don't pick up quite as fast as 26ers, but they really do keep up their momentum.

enjoying the scenery
    Yup.
    2002 Trek 8500
    2015 Surly Karate Monkey
    2010 Niner EMD9
    2008 Specialized Epic Marathon

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    These forums had me thinking I was the last one on Earth still riding a 26" HT. It's good to see many others still supporting the 26ers. Here's my 2011 RM Vertex still going strong. I've ridden 29ers and FS bikes but none have been as fun as this guy.

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-bike3.jpg

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-bike2.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

My trusty 08 Giant XTC AO

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

XTC 2nd pic I just love my 26er HT

Bikesexual
    I'm new to the sport but I have to say I enjoy the HT feel, plus given the terrain and style I ride it suits me perfectly.

My friends say you must! get FS - since its time to upgrade my entry level bike. After reading this thread, I have to agree, my next bike will be a HardTail. - I'll pass on the 29er as well.

Here she is, she got me to love MTB and that's what matters

Next to yes you guessed it my buddies FS - I can keep up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-cam00046.jpg  

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-cam00030.jpg  

Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

Axe
    Custom User Title

Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?

Just rode my 26" single speed TransAm for a couple hours. Every time I do that, I wonder what is the point of all those big wheels, and $400 cassettes and stuff. Would it have made my ride more fun? No.

Now, for a long day I like some gears and suspension, but who owns only one bike anyway?

mtbr member
    Started mountain biking on a 29er, now on to better things...

YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Now exactly a hardtail but sweet Yeti!

mtbr member
    Oops, lol all I read was "anybody still like their 26" on the main page. I am looking around now for a hardtail though...
    YETI SB-66 CARBON
    SCOTT GAMBLER 720

mtbr member
    I still love my 26er hardtail! It's an oldie but a goodie. Love the skill it takes to ride the 26er vs the 29er but when I want to ride fast (which is almost always) it's the 29er all the way!

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by xOffxThexLipx View Post
    This bad boy has gotten me through the craziest downhills...jumps...drops and still gets the job done no problem!
    That is one sweet bike man!!
    Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I just recently bought a new 2014 26" hardtail. I don't really have much to compare it too but so far I love it and I am really enjoying it.

mtbr member
    I still got my 26 HT, use it mostly on bike paths but I love this bike, older, 1998 bought it in Weiden Germany when I lived there. My FS is also a 26. No issues.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

old meets new

Titus Ti hcr setup 1x9.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-20140429_093456.jpg  

trailmaster
    Dec 2005
    920 replies and most are saying "Yes" to their 26" hardtails. Me too. I'm still riding a 2002 Airborne Lucky Strike Ti HT. And loving it. Been thru 3 forks, 2 cranks, a half dozen derailleurs. Converted to Disc brakes then hydros.

Sad that the industry is still trying so hard to manipulate our $$$.

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT
    I love my 26" ht even though its my first real mtb i had a box bike 29er and i just didnt care for how big it felt i will stick with my 2010 trek 6500 until it breaks in half

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Love it so much I bought a new one!

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
    2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Fuji Grand Fondo Classico 1.3
    2016 Felt F4X

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Still like mine, although most guys around here have turned 29 or 27.5

'11 Trek 6500 with some extras, Hope Hoops w. Arch EX rims, RF stem, handlebar and seat post, and so on.

RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT
    Quote Originally Posted by EbbeJ View Post
    Still like mine, although most guys around here have turned 29 or 27.5

'11 Trek 6500 with some extras, Hope Hoops w. Arch EX rims, RF stem, handlebar and seat post, and so on.

nice bike mine is all stock for now Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-trek1.jpgAnybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-trek-rocks.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I will always like it..... Just not as much as my new full suspension!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just rode mine 31 miles and 3600 ft. Lots of gravel, but nothing wrong with a 26 you know how to ride!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Selling my awesome On One Ti 456. Too many bikes. This one is a M/L size titanium V2 456. It has I9 enduro wheels, Fox talas 150 fork, CB carbon bars, KS 125mm Dropper and much more. It's one of the best all mountain hardtails ever. Check the reviews. It's in very good to excellent shape.

I'm asking $1900, but will consider offers.
    Email me at akarnold1 (at) ca (dot) rr (dot) com for questions or offers.

mtbr member
    Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_20140504_133540.jpg

RMB Blizzard with the brooks cambium, rolling along as always.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I love mine! But I have never rode a 27.5 or a FS!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post

RMB Blizzard with the brooks cambium, rolling along as always.
    How do you like the cambium? Sweet RMB too.
    Eric

mtbr member
    How do you like the cambium? Sweet RMB too.
    So far, so good. I ride with the saddle level instead of nose up and since I'm coming from a pro the fit is a little wider, but in spite of that it is a very comfortable saddle. I'm quite happy with it. Thanks for salutations!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    So far, so good. I ride with the saddle level instead of nose up and since I'm coming from a pro the fit is a little wider, but in spite of that it is a very comfortable saddle. I'm quite happy with it. Thanks for salutations!
    Thanks for the input! I ride a b17 on my road bike and have tried it on my MTB but its a bit wide to get off the back and I end up with some nasty bruises on my thighs. That saddle looks sweet and is shaped like my favorite MTB saddle, but a brooks so I'm hoping even more comfy. Guess I'll have to add another item to my wish list.
    Eric

mtbr member
    I'm old-school (45), therefore I ride old-school rigs.

I have ZERO desire to buy a new 27.5/29" ride.

When I was in college in the early 90's, these were
    one of the BEST bikes around. And you know what?
    They STILL ARE!!! People out on the trail see it and
    are like "WTF? Is that a ZASKAR? SICK!" LOL

Here's my 1999 GT Zaskar >>>

I dig this bike and ride it all the time.
    It's got Continental Race King 2.2's on
    it which measure 27" in diameter.

It's got RIM BRAKES and you know what?
    They work EXCELLENT!
    (XTR V-Brakes, Cool-Stop Pads, dialed-in
    by a pro at Sunnyside Sports in Bend, Oregon)

Matt in Bend, Oregon

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I wanted a Zaskar so bad when I was in high school! Bad ass.

2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Felt F4X

mtbr member
    Beautiful bike.

You're old school? I bought a Zaskar for my 50th birthday and that was almost 15 years ago! It went through many years of riding before my son had it stolen while going to college in Montreal.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input! I ride a b17 on my road bike and have tried it on my MTB but its a bit wide to get off the back and I end up with some nasty bruises on my thighs. That saddle looks sweet and is shaped like my favorite MTB saddle, but a brooks so I'm hoping even more comfy. Guess I'll have to add another item to my wish list.
    The cambium is a lot like the B17, the overall width at the widest point is 10mm less; however, the shape of the saddle is very much like the B17. I have a B17 as well as a pro and the cambium feels a lot like my 8yr old broken-in B17.

Bipolar roller
    Just took my 26" rigid '91 lugged True Temper OXII singletrack for a ride on the Tahoe Rim Trail today. Got some strange looks from guys on some really nice FS bikes. While resting between trails one guy said smartassishly you know they now make suspension for bikes. I told him I know, I have 3 FS bikes, but this one is more fun.

Only saw one 29er up there today, no 650b's. Everyone else was riding 26ers. TRT is pretty tech, with tight blackdiamond singletracks and all. Strong/stiff wheels and good handling rigs are the way to go.

Here are two of my favorite handling rides:
    Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-970-bush-st2.jpeg

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-trek-6k-linkage.jpg
    Last edited by singletrackmack; 05-10-2014 at 08:48 PM.
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

Professional Noob
    Hardtail 26ers are a legacy. I may get a 29er FS but I will never abandon my dear Frankenbike
    => CannondaleExperts.com <=
    All the parts and accessories your Cannondale ever needs

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Mine isn't going anywhere. I don't like 29ers, I have tried to want one. I just don't. The 650s I am indifferent to. I just don't think slightly bigger is going to make me any more comfortable or faster. Anyways, I just did new wheels and fork, so I'm committed to 26 for the next few years at least.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Professional Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    Is that a Suntour Epicon I see? How do you like it?
    => CannondaleExperts.com <=
    All the parts and accessories your Cannondale ever needs

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Yup it is. I like it a lot. The rebound adjustment works great, there's like 30 or so click adjustments on the knob and they actually make a difference all the way through so you can really dial it in to your preference and terrain. It's very light too. I don't have any complaints at all

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Just added ec70 bars and Mavic UST rims! Love this bike. This forum has ignited my desire to ride MTB, before I only rode it a few times a year. Now I am entered in the Firebird 40 (only 24 miles really because of a permit issue) this weekend in Eagle CO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-image.jpg  

Bikesexual
    26 HT you say? Cannondale Trail SL3 (2013) I'm picking her up on Friday.

I agree w/oregon2 this forum has helped me and motivated me a lot. My first full bike upgrade.

Better pictures when she gets home:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-cam00155.jpg  

Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

mtbr member
    I love my custom built hardtail....A lot of fun to ride it!

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_20140513_175955.jpgAnybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-dsc0417.jpgAnybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_20140513_180341.jpg

Merendon Junkie
    Still loving my 26er HT. Just upgraded it with a fork I snagged from fleabay. Its a 2009 SID. The fork feels smooth and everything on it seems to be working properly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-photo-2-c.jpg  

Last edited by abelfonseca; 05-14-2014 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member
    I started on 29, went to 26 and stayed there. Always ridden HT (try buddies new FS rides every year) and can't ever see that changing.

I have to admit though, that, I'm picking up a 2013 Giant XTC 29er 2 this friday...wicked light and has a frame geometry that remind me of my 26 when I'm on top of it...I'm super excited to hit the climbs and technical root-n-rock runs to see how it acts.

That said, will never give up my franken 26 :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    How much did you score that SID for? I've bean looking at them, but can't pull the trigger...

2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Felt F4X

Merendon Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrink View Post
    How much did you score that SID for? I've bean looking at them, but can't pull the trigger...

180 bucks shipped! I was a little worried about the integrity of the fork because of the price but my doubts were put to rest upon inspecting and testing it when it arrived. Let see how it does in the long run. Though I see nothing to worry about in the fork. The seller said the fork was only used for one season, seems like he was being honest.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Got my bike back after the build up... everything I've been dreaming of since 1999, except maybe an air fork.

Eric

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I had that same WTB seat on my 2001 Indian fire trail . Man I miss that bike!

2017 Scott Spark 930
    2016 Felt F4X

mtbr member
    Got my bike back after the build up... everything I've been dreaming of since 1999, except maybe an air fork.

I've gotta say, that looks like it's going to be a lot of fun to ride!

mtbr member
    May 2007

Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    I've gotta say, that looks like it's going to be a lot of fun to ride!
    I'll find out tomorrow, most likely! Should be fun though. Easy to lift the front wheel but feels planted, nice and stable but still plenty flickable. Only concern is how it will climb but I'm not too worried.
    Eric

Bikesexual
    She is home! and I lover her lol - I tried a Rockhopper 29er but is just not my thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-cam00170.jpg  

Surly Krampus
    All City MMD
    Kona Unit
    Surly Cross-Check

southernal
    yep .. mine 26" hardtail is all I have.. has 150mm bombers, upgrading to a new model of the same- 180 / 160 rotors, kore bars / stem . is a scott aspect ...

id love a soft tail ,, but love my hard too might have to have both I guess.... future

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I bought this bike new in 1994 and the wheels a couple of years later. I have upgraded all of the components over the years and I still love the way this bike handles on the trails. The bike gets allot of looks and it's fun talking to newbies who can't believe this bike is 20 years old. I'll be on a 13 mile ride with it today. Happy riding!

inner peace to make peace
    yep. broke my old 26er steel hardtail frame. now looking for a light steel or carbon frame for XC race that as a good warranty.

a 26er hardtail with UST tubeless rear-wheel (with dual big hydraulic disk brakes) and a 26er DH race bike are what i want.
    “Everyday is a good day,” from the Blue Cliff Records, Yun-men (864-949 AD).

mtbr member

Mine is just amazing. Climbs like a goat and cuts like a knife, so nimble and quick. That sounds lame but it's true. 2010 Rockhopper SL Expert. I decked it out and went 1x10. 24 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-resized-p1010014.jpgjust got back into mountain biking and built a Tomac hardtail from the frame up...
    Last edited by Hon Mac; 07-23-2014 at 03:04 AM. Reason: added photo...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Attachment 910489

Quote Originally Posted by eicca View Post
    Is that a Suntour Epicon I see? How do you like it?
    I have one too. I have nothing to compare it to other than my Rockshox Quadra 5 on my other bike. The Epicon is really plush and does the job well for what I do(Black diamond trails, 2ft drops, XC trails). I can't imagine paying 500+ for a fork. I got my Epicon off Amazon for 199 free shipping from China. I don't have any complaints about it either.

Brackish
    I just picked up a new-to-me 26" hardtail and after the first ride today I'm loving it. Transition Vagrant with a Fox Float 36, Mavic Dee Max wheels and a brand new Shimano Zee 1x10 drivetrain: absolutely killer for want I want right now, this will be my only bike for at least a year and it's perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Just checked again...yup, still like it.
    Last edited by CGrr; 08-04-2014 at 08:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    back on my '97 Stumpie since my fs bike is busted.

Yes it's still a very nice bike.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    My 29er is in the LBS, so have put in a few rides on my old 26 with totally seized fork ... and was surprised at how much fun it Was (till my tyre burst).

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I feel compelled to share my story.

I bought a 26" wheeled bikelast year and this past winter I was planning on selling it when the weather started improving. It was a great deal (new and on closeout) with a great build. Full XT, dropper post, Kashima fork, it would have made a great expert level bicycle to anyone looking for a 26" wheeled bike. However, the front rim on my 29er cracked and I was slacking off on replacing the wheel and I ended up taking the 26" out one weekend.

So glad I didn't sell it. I actually turned around and sold the 29er as it sat. Bought a cross bike to take up the road and commuting duties and used the cash from selling the 29er to put towards improving the the 26. Now that I have the bike set up how I like it, 1x10 Shimano with XTR and a narrow-wide chainring, wider bar with a higher rise and shorter stem, I never want to sell this bike.

Benefits (for me):
    1. I can run 160mm rotors and have gobs of stopping power; I attribute this to both wheel size and the incredible XT brakes
    2. The smaller diameter wheels are lighter and feel like they spin up quicker and change direction easily
    3. Very nimble

I don't think I can attribute it specifically to this model of bike or the brand. I think 26" wheels are just the right size wheels for me.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Just went from a Niner RDO seatpost to a Specialized Blacklite dropper on my Stumpy.

Added about 15kg, but more user friendly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    After many years on FS bicycles I have decided to build a steel HT (NS Surge Evo) by using mainly spare parts. Honestly I had zero expectations from it so when I first rode it in my favorite trails I was really surprised about how much capable and fun it was.

Of course it is not as good as my Reign SX but I have to say that I really love my new HT.

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_20140804_124017.jpg

Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_20140804_022242.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Def. keeping My 2013 26 Reign xo

I love Pisgah
    Still have 2 of them.

Pic from yesterday. The old now-retired race dedicated 04 XTC hybrid(carbon stays). Still ride it a fair amt. At one time, it was mid 18lb range with disc brakes. As shown with some trail duty wheels(1500gms), 2.4 tires, 160/140mm Hope floating rotors, FRM all alum ISIS spindle and crankarm bolts, Syntace F9 stem, Flite TransAM saddle, Extralite UL The Post, Hope Mini's, XT drivetrain sans the old school std bolt pattern (46-34-24) Turbines..its 22.2lbs. With a quick wheel swap, 4ti Eggs, and saddle, it'd be around 20lbs. Great riding, still fast, do-all hardtail.

Don't see many of those around. Extralite UL post. 178gms. Titanium oem bolts. It'd be on my carbon 29r right now if it was 400mm long instead of 350mm. Dammit.

Old 1980 US made Scwhinn Moab. Was my first "real" mtb. Still going strong.

Still like my carbon 29r HT a lot better tho haha

Unrelated since is a FS, but I'm currently building back up this looooooong since retired 26" 02 NRS frame. Raced this bike for yrs. Had it down to 20.2lbs at one time. As shown(old pic) its around 26lbs tho.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    I love my 26" Dragon Pro. I got a killer deal on it, and I'll never sell it. Simple and nimble----perfect!
    "Geologic time includes now."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman View Post
    Still have 2 of them.

Pic from yesterday. The old now-retired race dedicated 04 XTC hybrid(carbon stays). Still ride it a fair amt. At one time, it was mid 18lb range with disc brakes. As shown with some trail duty wheels(1500gms), 2.4 tires, 160/140mm Hope floating rotors, FRM all alum ISIS spindle and crankarm bolts, Syntace F9 stem, Flite TransAM saddle, Extralite UL The Post, Hope Mini's, XT drivetrain sans the old school std bolt pattern (46-34-24) Turbines..its 22.2lbs. With a quick wheel swap, 4ti Eggs, and saddle, it'd be around 20lbs. Great riding, still fast, do-all hardtail.
    I have that exact saddle sitting in my garage. It must be a 2002 or so vintage? I think it was the most expensive, and most painful saddle I ever owned. My son hated it as well. It just goes to prove what they say about saddles and personal preference.

I love Pisgah
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I have that exact saddle sitting in my garage. It must be a 2002 or so vintage? I think it was the most expensive, and most painful saddle I ever owned. My son hated it as well. It just goes to prove what they say about saddles and personal preference.
    Actually had 2 of them. 1 from 02(good guess) and the other a yr later. A friend now has the 2nd on his old 02 Fuel.

And your right, I actually like that saddle. I've also got 2 Flite TTs(165gm)carbon with a leather cover. Not the most comfy. This one..

Raced this one for a few yrs. ..until it broke off the rails(very sharp) at the start during clip-in..and had to race for 2 hours standing the entire time. That was hard. All carbon only. About 140gms I think. 1mm thick, so it flexed somewhat. Actually was more comfy then the leather/padding covered 165gm Flite TT. This is when this blue NRS was 20lbs.

Old Flite gel on the 29er right now. I guess I like the old Flites.. haha

Std Flite on my Titus Motolite currently. This one(230gms) that was on the HT at the time. Note taper square carbon/alum Next LP cranks. Has an Action Tec titanium spindle. great BB since you can swap bearings. Still have the cranks/BB setup in the Titus now.

Ti spindle, ti bolts, etc.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have never had anything but a 26er.....I love the rockhopper, nice light , nimble bike..... my beater bike is a 26 as well, but its a dept store special that I got free,built it with parts from other free bikes.....painted urban camo, step through frame, rack, streetable tires etc etc
    97 specialized rockhopper.- urban beater
    2013 GT aggressor 3.0- urban assault vehicle

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That's all I ride ! Love them / perfect for the riding I do ! I have had a rode bike and a FS did not like them at all !

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That is all I ride. My old 90's Schwinn. I tried a fs bike last summer. They are just not for me.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Thread: Anybody still like their 26" Hardtail?

While I'm a die-hard 29er guy,I built up a Surly Troll this year,so yeah
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I just built a full rigid Trek 3500. I put on a Nashbar fork to replace the cheezy Suntour fork. Took it out for the maiden voyage today! Lots of fun, very flick-able and climbs like a goat!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-trek-rigid-3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nice ! Enjoy ))

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Funny thing, like most of us my first "real" bike was a 26" HT, a Fisher Wahoo, then a cdale Rize, then a Fisher X-cal(29"). I've done pretty much every upgrade to the wahoo that can be done, it's now a 1x10 and i think it may be my favorite ride right now.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by lolaralph View Post
    Funny thing, like most of us my first "real" bike was a 26" HT, a Fisher Wahoo, then a cdale Rize, then a Fisher X-cal(29"). I've done pretty much every upgrade to the wahoo that can be done, it's now a 1x10 and i think it may be my favorite ride right now.
    I ride a GF Wahoo 26" HT. I need to upgrade but I really like it as is. Upgraded fork after killing the stock ST coil.

mtbr member
    Recently tried some friends brand new 29er FS and 29er HT. Felt awkward and so out of place on them. Couldn't wait to get back on my 26er.

One thing I noticed I had an easier time with was tight cornering, the smaller turn radius and accelerating from a stand still with my 26er over their 29ers.

But yes, once we started rolling they got out in front

Still love my 26er even though its really entry level

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Love my Kona : Muni-Mula 26 Hard tail

So yes ! I just bought today 11/03/14 a Kona :Blast . Putting ( Gasp ) Hybrid tires on her , also Hayes Hydraulic Disc Brakes . My other Kona / she will stay a True Trail / Mountain Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Grease Monk3y View Post
    Recently tried some friends brand new 29er FS and 29er HT. Felt awkward and so out of place on them. Couldn't wait to get back on my 26er.

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	474 
Size:	247.6 KB 
ID:	936378

One thing I noticed I had an easier time with was tight cornering, the smaller turn radius and accelerating from a stand still with my 26er over their 29ers.

But yes, once we started rolling they got out in front

Still love my 26er even though its really entry level

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Rode my 26er hardtail tonight after spending a lot of time with my 29er...yup, still like it.

mtbr member
    For the last year or two my 26" ht has definitely been my 3rd most used bike (of 3). But I swapped it over to ss a few months ago and have been loving it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

26", rigid, steel

I am still riding 26" wheels. Recently had a rigid fork built for my late 90's Ibis Mojo. It is the most fun I have had on the trail in a long time. Here is mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anybody still like their 26&quot; Hardtail?-img_0343.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Getting better...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Love it. Only mountain bike I have. Fun per dollar can't be beat.

2002 Bianchi Tycoon XL Boron by PeterDSims, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Yup. I ride my 26" Wheeled' hardtail to work almost every day.

I love it.
    You in Oklahoma City? If yes, come ride with us.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Started on 26" HT in early 80's....now have 29" HT.
    Liked both

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.thedrake View Post
    Classic, nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by peter.thedrake View Post
    Love it. Only mountain bike I have. Fun per dollar can't be beat.

Absolutely sweet bike. Your photograph skills are excellent too (flipped through a few after I clicked on your bike). The ones from the aquarium are very impressive.

Thread Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87 View Post
    See my sig.
    Still rockin' the old Advance. Since this post, I've upgraded to a Vuelta wheelset and lightened the front end with an aluminum Bontrager stem and a Raceface handlebar.
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the nice comments.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Very entry level but I regret selling my Hardrock so bad. I upgraded literally everything but the frame and when I was low on money I sold it for $150 in mint condition. I really miss that bike and I have the urge to buy another 26" hardtail but my fiancée would kill me after she warned me not to sell it because I would only buy another one down the road.

I still have the Epic 26" and that bike isn't going anywhere. I've proven to myself that it's slower than the Trance on the trails I ride but it has a fun factor that not many bikes can match.
    '08 Hardrock HRXC
    '09 Epic Comp
    '14 Trance SX -

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dex View Post
    Same here...
    Kinda funny and sad the way other fellow mtbr's turn up their noses when they see a bike with rim brakes.

Wouldn't want to be riding any other bike!
    I miss my 26" HT with V-brakes. That bike climbed like a mule with roids. I sold it to a friend that was starting out in MTB'ng. It hasn't seen a trail since
    “Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I own both a full suspension and hardtail. While I do love how smooth my FS is, nothing beats the feel of riding a hardtail. It just brings everything to life IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I love my 26 ht, although I'm still dialing it in! This is coming from riding bmx for many years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I ride exclusively 26er hardtail. This is because I only have one bike. This bike has 26 inch wheels and a hard tail. My wife won't let me buy more bikes Which is probably for the best...

Oh, and that Bianchi Tycoon up there is pure sex on a stick! I want!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast