2x10 to 1x11 or 12 Upgrade?- Mtbr.com
    ride it like you stole it

2x10 to 1x11 or 12 Upgrade?

So I've been thinking about upgrading my stock drivetrain on my 2012 Trek Slash 9 from SRAM XO. I busted the chain guide and that had me exploring the option of converting it to 1x11 or even 1x 12. I really like Shimano's XT best of anything I've ridden so far. Anyone have any experience doing this? Is it even worth it? I don't need the latest XT version as keeping costs low is a priority (have a family and kids are getting into riding as well . Any suggestions? Also what exactly would I need to do the conversion since I'd like to add in a narrow/wide chainring as well (new freehub driver, chain, derailleur, shifters, chainring, etc)?

Here's what I've got on the bike now:
    Shifters-SRAM X0, 10 speed
    Rear derailleur-SRAM X0
    Crank-SRAM X0, 38/24
    Cassette-SRAM PG-1070 11-36, 10 speed
    Wheels-Bontrager Rhythm Elite TLR with 142x12mm rear hub

Thanks for helping out a cheap dad who loves to shred!
    Peace

mtbr member
    I'd guess going 1x11 would be the cheap - and very nice - option. There are sites that can determine gear ratios such as here: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
    for the purposes of planning.

Staying with SRAM would probably be cheapest.

1x really helps clean up the cockpit for using a dropper.

I'll leave it to others to comment on actual requirements, as it's been a long time since I did it.

You could also probably keep the crankset and just remove the small chainring to save money if you go 1x11.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    You are in the same position as me except my hub is already an HG freehub.
    I'm running all Deore 10spd. My last bike had all XT and was a 1x11. Huge difference!! I really miss having XT as for the 10 SPD well not a problem so far but shifting is way better with XT.
    Yes you would need everything you listed above.
    Shimano's new line starting with Deore and up are all micro spline hubs. So the old style which I have is HG freehub. You can find full kit's that include everything but they seem scarce lately especially here in Canada but the prices should be cheap as Shimano pushes out their new stuff. 11-42 is popular and a narrow wide chain Ring is what mine has.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2020
    i would just go 1x10 i have 1x10, 1x11 and 1x12 setups on my bikes and im still fine with 1x10. you get a stronger wider chain that lasts longer with a 1x10 and i get by just fine with using a sunrace wide ratio 11-46 10 speed cassette to get better range and keep the weight down. that would be my best suggestion. plus x0 shifters and rear mech are still nice at that age so i would keep them. i have basically that setup on my commencal meta sl1 from 2013 and its still a great setup even comparing with my 1 x 11 xt setup on one bike and 2 other bikes with 1x 12 gx and nx setups. plus this will keep costs down.....dont be fooled with all the sales hype with 1 x 11 and 1x 12 its fine but its a lot more pricey especially for 12 speed cassettes. If it didnt come fitted to my bikes i would still likely be using 1 x 10 setups on all of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Yup I get by with my 1x10 just fine. Not fond of the way it shifts though but that's probably fixable with a better shifter and/or Derailleur than my Deore. I miss the XT drivetrain I use to have!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Grilledcheesetriple; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I have done several 1x conversions and have always been happy with the results.

I generally buy a "new to me" bike every other year and am content riding 3x9 or 2x10 until something on the drivetrain breaks or wears out. When it is time to convert, I use a calculator to determine the lowest gear ratio I am actually using. My favorite is - gears.mtbcrosscountry.com - but I am sure there are others.

Next I take stock of my current parts to determine the best option for upgrading. Unless you also want to upgrade your wheels, I recommend going with a conversion that allows you to reuse your existing freehub.
    - For example, my current bike was a full XTR 3x10. I chose to go XTR 1x10 with a Wolftooth cog, goatlink and oval chainring because I could reuse my shifter.
    - If I am converting a 3x9, it often makes more sense to go with an XT 1x11. As long as you get the gearing right, you should be equally happy with either set up.

If I was converting your bike, I would try to go with a SRAM XO 1x10 so I could reuse my shifter and derailleur. Check Wolftooth's scratch and dent for a cog and eBay for a new cassette. I recommend replacing your shift cable and maybe even the wheels on your derailleur.

If your rear derailleur is shot it will probably be cheaper to go with an earlier generation of XT 1x11.

In either case you will need the following parts for a 1x conversion:
    - a cassette that fits your freehub, with an appropriate gear range.
    - a clutch type rear derailleur with the appropriate cage length.
    - a shifter for the correct number of gears.
    - a new chain.
    - a narrow wide chain ring that fits your cranks.
    - new shift cable.

I really like the Wolftooth conversions in the right circumstances, but they can quickly get expensive. They have good information on their website, but you can also post here if you have any questions.

mtbr member
    May 2020
    if u dont have a clutch mech but dont want to buy a new one get this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/RSP-Unisexs...0KGJA6TP8C6FNQ

it alleviates the issue of your mech not being a clutch type and the chain slapping about on rockier trails. I had one of these on a 2012 x9 rear mech (when they had the carbon cage - lovely mech before it was gimped the following year) non clutch type and it worked well with a 11-42 cassette i imagine it will work well with a larger cassette, just move it nearer the front chainring if you need to.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    I'm pretty good with a 1X10 setup, as somebody said, the chain is stronger, and ANY part of a drivetrain that is stronger is a big plus to me. Of course, I must say that the 1x10 is on my "free ride" bike, but in shape, I can climb any hill, like I used to on my single speed.
    And it is very nice for de-cluttering your bar space.
    Just call me Ray