Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

26ers over 10 years old

Anyone besides myself love their 26er so much that they keep rebuilding it instead of moving on to a new one. I rebuilt my 2003 Giant Warp DS3 last spring / summer and love it more than the day I bought it. 26ers over 10 years old-image.jpg26ers over 10 years old-image.jpg26ers over 10 years old-image.jpg

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Do you actually ride that bike? Looks pristine.

To answer your question, yes, sort of. I have several bikes that I like enough to fix when something breaks unless it's too expensive. The older the bike, the less I'm willing to put into maintaining it before it gets disassembled and the parts go into the bin to fix one of the newer ones. They're all 26ers, so most of the parts are interchangeable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    That's what I was going to ask. I have a 26" hardtail I bought in 2007, and it's still in good working shape but looks like it's been around the block a few times. I'm not sinking any money into it other than stuff to keep it running.

mtbr member
    Indeed! I love my 26ers! I have all three size bikes, that is 26,650b, 29er.

mtbr member
    the bikes are a 2012 giant XTC and a 2008 Sette Edge.

mtbr member

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

To answer your question, yes, sort of. I have several bikes that I like enough to fix when something breaks unless it's too expensive. The older the bike, the less I'm willing to put into maintaining it before it gets disassembled and the parts go into the bin to fix one of the newer ones. They're all 26ers, so most of the parts are interchangeable.

Yes, I ride that bike every chance I get. Everything but the actual frame has been replaced at least once. I love riding it and have had no trouble keeping up with anyone I ride with. I can afford a new fs but why when I just keep smiling every time I thrash some single track.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ckeyeus View Post
    That's what I was going to ask. I have a 26" hardtail I bought in 2007, and it's still in good working shape but looks like it's been around the block a few times. I'm not sinking any money into it other than stuff to keep it running.

S0ckeyeus, I rebuilt that bike for right around $700. I got the rear shock on price point for $150, the front fork Amazon for $200, wheel set, mechanical disk, crankset from Nashbar for just under $300 total ( wheel set $100, crankset $50, disk set $85, bottom bracket $25). Handlebars from Cambria bike $42 (they price match). I find what I want and the search the internet until I find it as cheap as I can.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by KeithD42 View Post
    Yes, I ride that bike every chance I get. Everything but the actual frame has been replaced at least once. I love riding it and have had no trouble keeping up with anyone I ride with. I can afford a new fs but why when I just keep smiling every time I thrash some single track.
    Nothing wrong with riding what you enjoy, but bikes have improved significantly since 2003. Since money isn't the issue, go on a test ride - not in the shop parking lot, but at a demo event where you can ride it on an actual trail. Can't find a demo? Find a shop that does rentals. Talk to them about where and how you ride. Test a couple in the parking lot and pick your favorite. Take it out for a half/whole day. I have a feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you find. If afterwards you still decide to keep the Warp, you're not really out much and you'll be better informed. (plus it's a blast to ride a bike and not worry about cleaning it up later)

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Anyone besides myself love their 26er so much that they keep rebuilding it instead of moving on to a new one. I rebuilt my 2003 Giant Warp DS3 last spring / summer and love it more than the day I bought it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	1134 
Size:	381.1 KB 
ID:	1061550
    Great looking bike! Yes, I know exactly how you feel! A lot of bikes and cars ( and people) have come and gone, but my FSR and my MGB have been with me so long, and so much fun that they have become permanent parts of who I am.

I also rebuilt my bike all new but the frame over the last two years. Love my 2014 Manitou fork and new Hollowtech II cranksets!

26ers over 10 years old-20160322_1_-_copy.jpg

26ers over 10 years old-20151126_13_.jpg

26ers over 10 years old-20151126_11_.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nothing wrong with riding what you enjoy, but bikes have improved significantly since 2003.
    The single most important part, the fork, is fresh from the oven, with one of the best dampers on the market and 32mm stanchions. We both have head angles about 67, and 26" wheels are still stiffer than most 29ers. And coil springs still have the feel and progression that most air shocks strive to replicate. British bottom brackets don't creak, and can still use external bearings. And I've been using Magura hydraulics since 1999.

mtbr member
    Just bought this, does that count? 2006 Kikapu
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-rsz_20160403_184442.jpg  

Last edited by 4runerguy; 04-11-2016 at 02:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Took the Headshock out yesterday.

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by 4runerguy View Post
    Just bought this, does that count? 2005 Kikapu
    pretty clean rig for sure.

Dusting Trails
    My son still rides my 1996 Stumpjumper M2FS Comp - this photo was from Easter Sunday morning.

26ers over 10 years old-image.jpg

mtbr member
    2006 Specialized HardRock Sport. Just bought it a set of I9 Trail 24s on Saturday. Every part has been replaced at least once, so the frame is the only original part. Like the bike so much, I bought another original off eBay just like it for a backup frame.

26ers over 10 years old-uploadfromtaptalk1459786005051.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    I just got back on my Gary Fisher Paragon that was new in 1998! I upgraded most of the components back then and i'm starting to upgrade things again little by little. Things have definitely come a long way since I last rode consistantly.. I do get a laugh at my friends with their newer "fancy" bikes, and my 20 yr old beast is half their weight lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLakey View Post
    Took the Headshock out yesterday.

How did you do that if you don't mind me asking? Did you need an adapter piece?

mtbr member
    Not quite ten-years old but nearly! This 2007 Commencal is my favourite bike, I never get tired of it. The only original parts are the frame and seatpost clamp. I'll be gutted when the frame breaks. 26ers over 10 years old-img-20140831-00087.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Just bought this, does that count? 2005 Kikapu

Absolutely it counts and is a very nice bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Noapathy, I did test ride a few bikes last fall, specifically a Giant Trance but it did not ride as smooth or have the travel my Warp has. My warp has 5 inches front and rear and with the dual Manitou shocks (front & rear) it is so plush. It would take a real nice bike to get me to swap. I gave away a GT LTS 2 for this bike and don't regret it at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Keep it and ride it. Nothing wrong with it. The trails have not changed that much since then and the bike worked fine then. Sure suspension is a bit better now and the new geo helps, but if you got skills it's no issue. If you race, then get new, if it's just for fun that thing will do just fine. But at least try to get it dirty, that thing is too clean.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    2003? Haro VGF-1

Great XC weekend warrior on the trails.

26ers over 10 years old-img_20160406_130825448.jpg

mtbr member
    2003 Heckler,my one and only everyday ride
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-20150827_080048.jpg  

mtbr member
    The silver SX is from 2004 and the green Enduro is from 2005. Both still get ridden.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-img_0717.jpg  

nvphatty
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard25 View Post
    The silver SX is from 2004 and the green Enduro is from 2005. Both still get ridden.
    nice line up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Good job!

26ers over 10 years old-specialized_98_m2.jpg

mtbr member
    " width="549">

Third repaint, replaced a seat stay and still going strong. Even found a new set of Panaracer 1.95 trailblaster ust tires on ebay last week.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member

My 2000 Litespeed 26-er still going strong...

26ers over 10 years old-20160312_162122_resized.jpg

Had her since 2001 and the only one I ride more or less every weekend. All original parts slowly but surely replaced over the years to where I think it's just perfect as is.

Was tempted to upgrade to a new custom 27.5 ti frame (i.e. Kent Eriksen bikes are so tempting) just for the sake of modernizing/keeping with the times but this bike just has too much sentimental value. Plus, I'd imagine the ride quality and characteristics would be more or less the same.

So instead, I had a disc brake tab brazed on and the old v-brake bosses removed from a ti frame builder in Oregon to breath new life into the bike for 1/3rd the cost of a new custom ti frame.

Plan on keeping her forever...God willing. See ya on the trails!
    Strength of a grizzly; Reflexes of a puma; And the wisdom of a man

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Here's my 2002 Ellsworth Joker. In 2014 I replaced the fork and wheels, this year I am updating the drive train to a 1x10, just waiting on the bash guard to replace that 44t chain ring I don't ever use.26ers over 10 years old-joker.jpg

mtbr member
    2005 Cannondale Prophet, frame and cranks original.

mtbr member

My 07 stumpy. Ya I know 9 years. But it was made 10 years go lol

Sent from my iPhone while my Heli plays with the gophers

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by EsHan13 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160312_162122_resized.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	344.0 KB 
ID:	1062459

Had her since 2001 and the only one I ride more or less every weekend. All original parts slowly but surely replaced over the years to where I think it's just perfect as is.

Was tempted to upgrade to a new custom 27.5 ti frame (i.e. Kent Eriksen bikes are so tempting) just for the sake of modernizing/keeping with the times but this bike just has too much sentimental value. Plus, I'd imagine the ride quality and characteristics would be more or less the same.

So instead, I had a disc brake tab brazed on and the old v-brake bosses removed from a ti frame builder in Oregon to breath new life into the bike for 1/3rd the cost of a new custom ti frame.

Plan on keeping her forever...God willing. See ya on the trails!
    Very nice. I'm running a similar frame, albeit one year older than yours however. Carbon rigid fork though. And, still squeezing rims brakes (Magrua HS33's).

I've entertained the idea of sourcing someone to braze on a disc mount in the rear, but I've changed my mind. I guess I'm just too afraid it would come out looking like a Frankenstein hack job. Not to mention I'd then have three perfectly wonderful hand-built wheel sets rendered obsolete.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudquest View Post
    Very nice. I'm running a similar frame, albeit one year older than yours however. Carbon rigid fork though. And, still squeezing rims brakes (Magrua HS33's).

I've entertained the idea of sourcing someone to braze on a disc mount in the rear, but I've changed my mind. I guess I'm just too afraid it would come out looking like a Frankenstein hack job. Not to mention I'd then have three perfectly wonderful hand-built wheel sets rendered obsolete.
    Thank you...yeah...I cherish this bike as it's my first and only serious mountain bike. I had the exact same reservations as you when debating whether to have the frame modified. I take it you saw some of the amateur ti braze on jobs which are just horrendous to put it lightly...totally know what you mean.

So about 1 month prior to pulling the trigger on having her modified, I searched and inquired with about every independent ti frame builder I can find to see who was willing and able to do it. Some of them were too flaky and gave a sense that they were unreliable based on their communication or lack thereof. Other builders just outright refused to do it.

Luckily, I found a perfect match with a ti builder in Oregon ("Ti Cycles" is their name and I shipped my frame to them as I'm in CA) whose price was reasonable, had good communications (i.e. requested and received photos of their recent work beforehand) and most important of all, did stellar work.

If you'd like more detailed photos, send me a PM and I'll email them to you.
    Strength of a grizzly; Reflexes of a puma; And the wisdom of a man

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just go to the museum to look at them.

mtbr member
    I hope you didn't pay for that one. Don't quit your day job, seriously!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    26ers over 10 years old-img_0179.jpg 2006 Cannondale Rush is my primary ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Yup, mine are just about at the 10 year mark. A 2007 Yeti 575 bought in '06 and a 2007 custom Voodoo Wanga. I don't plan on buying a bike any time soon. I "sink money" into them as needed within my personal reason.

Yes, technology has changed a lot from a decade ago, but they are both still better bikes than I am a rider and I don't push them anywhere close to their capacity. I have been on my friends newer, nicer and more expensive bikes and quite frankly there is no nirvana elevated experience from the newer technology for me. I wasn't riding harder, or more comfortable. Nothing was "better".

But that is just me. i ride just cause I enjoy riding and how I like to ride. I don't go "fast" or "hard" as that's not what I enjoy from biking. I don't need to pass someone on an uphill climb or leave them in the dirt on a straight away.

I will admit tho, that the new gearing does really change the whole climbing aspect. but I don't need to necessarily buy a new bike for that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-image.jpg  

26ers over 10 years old-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Liking that Yeti

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    TWENTY FIVE POINT ZERO !!!

25.0 pounds 1999 Specialized FSR !!!
    And the only carbon on it are the seat post, the stem spacers, and the bash guard! And it still has the FD and steel coil shock! With an air shock and carbon crank, it would be under 24 pounds. A carbon seat and 1x9 would get it to 23 pounds.

26ers over 10 years old-dscf0025.jpg

RockShox SID fork
    26ers over 10 years old-dscf0007.jpg

M770 cassette, M770 crank, M786 rear derailleur
    26ers over 10 years old-dscf0014.jpg

2016 Ergon SMC4 seat
    26ers over 10 years old-dscf0018.jpg

Magura Marta SL brakes, M770 cassette
    26ers over 10 years old-dscf0021.jpg

Orbea OCii bar, Cannondale C3 stem, Ergon GP1-L grips, SRAM X0 9spd shifters, Magura Marta SL brakes with carbon levers
    26ers over 10 years old-dscf0041.jpg

Stan's ZTR 355 rims, Mavic CrossLand Hubs
    26ers over 10 years old-dscf0023.jpg

26ers over 10 years old-dscf0031.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Anyone besides myself love their 26er so much that they keep rebuilding it instead of moving on to a new one.
    I just replaced practically everything on my 1997 Bontrager Race Lite frame. It's one of the last ones made by hand in Santa Cruz after Trek bought the brand. The frame is a size small, about 3.75 lbs. I inherited it free with the understanding that I would never sell it, so it's worth keeping up.

All these parts are new (except the fork, which was professionally rebuilt), and everything except the cog extenders were at least 50% off because it's "old" tech:

- 2000 Marzocchi Bomber Z1-CR 100mm fork
    - SRAM X0 2x10 drivetrain with 28/42 crank, X0 rear derailleur, 1099-R chain
    - SRAM X0 2x10 Grip shifts
    - 1070 11-36t cassette w/ eThirteen 42t extender and 16t Wolf tooth cog
    - Avid BB7 front disc brake
    - Avid SL adjustable-leverage magnesium levers
    - Easton EA70-XCT front wheel (tubeless)
    - Custom rear wheel with Hope Pro2 Evo 40tooth hub and Mavic XC717 rim (tubeless)
    - Panaracer Fire XC Pro Tubeless 26 x 2.1
    - On-One Fleegle 15 deg sweep flat bar (715mm)
    - Bontrager Race Lite 90mm stem

Total spent: ~ $ 1,100
    Weight: 26 lbs (down from 28)

The old fork was a Marzocchi Bomber Z2 80mm, and the extra 20mm travel and disc brake on the Z1-CR really changes the character of the bike. It still climbs like a goat, but it's so much more confident downhill. If I'd known ahead of time, I would've gotten a wider rear rim, since now I am tempted to bomb downhill. Of course, some would say that I ruined the character of the bike by making it slower, but I kept the old fork for all-out marathon days.

The shifting isn't any better than the Shimano XTR/XT 3x9 it replaced, but now I don't need to worry about cross-shifting. I personally think the new SRAM Grip Shift is the bomb, so I'm happy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    [B]TWENTY FIVE POINT ZERO !!!
    25.0 pounds 1999 Specialized FSR !!!
    Have you got a picture of you riding it? That's almost a TT/Tri setup which must make it interesting for technical trails.
    What did the bike weigh new? And what length rear shock is in it currently?

I spent a bit of time on an 00 Big Hit, which was no featherweight from memory.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard25 View Post
    What did the bike weigh new? And what length rear shock is in it currently?
    The frame is 5.6 pounds, much lighter than Big Hit. 6.75" shock. Typical weight is 28-29 pounds. The blue one is 30.1 pounds with a steel coil fork and 31mm rims.

Drunken fool
    26ers over 10 years old-img_1163_zpsixksfdgx.jpg

Still riding my '97 S-works M2. I bought it new in the spring of '97. It has gone thru a few changes. After I got my full suspension 26er it was relegated to commuting duties until my commute got over 20 miles. Now I'm back to riding it on trails again. Converted it to discs about 5 years ago.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

Sneaker man
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

My 02 Marin Juniper Trail! The wife is riding an 06 Marin Bolinas Ridge

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My three bikes :

2002 Litespeed Lookout
    26ers over 10 years old-2016-03-20-14.29.26.jpg

2005 Litespeed Tanasi
    26ers over 10 years old-2015-09-09-15.41.05.jpg

2002 Dean Scout
    26ers over 10 years old-resized-2015-11-11-12.52.18.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    2001 Peyto Wild Bill S.O.C. SS. My only bike. 16 this Spring. Still rips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-001.jpg  

26ers over 10 years old-dave_packie_northfield.jpg  

mtbr member

My 2006 Santa Cruz Heckler

I am the second owner as this was the only way I could afford a decent full sus bike. I am terrified it's going to snap on me. Somebody please reassure me.

26ers over 10 years old-img_20160418_123137591.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mfiche View Post
    I am the second owner as this was the only way I could afford a decent full sus bike. I am terrified it's going to snap on me. Somebody please reassure me.

Name:	IMG_20160418_123137591.jpg 
Views:	361 
Size:	383.5 KB 
ID:	1064713
    Is that a Santa Cruz Superlight? Don't worry, those are not fragile, even though they are pretty light. Mind you, I wouldn't use it as a DH rig or take one off 6' drops, but they do great for aggressive XC and trail use.

It's a really nice bike, with a single-pivot swing arm that because of the pivot point somehow works much better than all the lame single-pivot designs you see on Walmart bikes. They climb great with little pedal bob. Best of all, the simplicity of the swingarm design makes maintenance easy and failures less common. Be glad you don't have to keep track of 10, 12, or more separate bearing/bushing points that could fail or introduce friction.

In the worst case, if you do manage to break something, replacement parts are easy to come by (the Superlight was a popular model).

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Looks to be in pretty good shape, as long as it's all tuned up you should be good to go ;-)

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    My 1998 Gary Fisher Paragon with some upgraded goodies:
    White Brothers SC70 fork
    Syncros pro series stem/bar
    SRAM 9.0 Front/Rear Derailleurs
    SRAM X.0 9 spd TWIST GRIP
    XTR Brake Levers
    Raceface cranks (3x9)
    Bontrager Select Seat Post
    Front wheel - Mavic 117 SUP rim, Wasatch Cycle Works carbon fiber hub, Continental Trail King tire 2.4
    Rear wheel - Syncros Big Box rim, Shimano Parallax hub, SRAM PG990 Red 9 Speed Cassette, Continental Mountain King II tire 2.2

26ers over 10 years old-bike3.jpg26ers over 10 years old-bike2.jpg26ers over 10 years old-bike1.jpg

mtbr member
    banjor, it's an 06 Heckler. From what I understand they are pretty beefy. I have been doing 2-3 ft drops and rock gardens with it.

mtbr member
    cnordt24,

That is an awesome fork. any close-ups?

mtbr member
    My 1997 Fat City Yo Eddy.

con
    mtbr member
    Got this 06' Blur LT from my son-in-law. I'm a long time roadie, Ex racer and still ride with my local club and do about 300-400 road miles a month.

I can tell you that all that riding experience means absolutely nothing on trails......I really suck!

But, the bike is fun

26ers over 10 years old-img_2593.jpg

mtbr member
    This is a nice thread the longest I have kept a bike is about seven years averaging about 4000 miles a year. I never had a frame break on me. I do carefully inspect the frame for wear. So what do most people do? ride the frame till it breaks or set a limit on mileage? I still love 26ers and have a supply of Giant XTC frames I bought from China via a broker. I have all three wheel sized mountain bikes here is my NOS 2012 XTC with Shimano XT dual control ,yes I am weird I just retired my 2006 Giant hardtail.

mtbr member
    10 years? Childs Play! lets go 20..... or maybe 46???

Just took my 96 stumpy partly down for a good cleaning after a 46 mile ride in a rain storm, and my Grandpa's old 1970 Schwinn Racer is ready to go again when I get the new tires/tubes mounted.

Oh, and I wouldn't say I keep the old bikes cause I "Love" them, its just so much cheaper to keep the old ones going. And If someone wants to borrow one, I don't care much if they brake the frame....I can replace it for nearly nothing.
    96 Specialized Stumpjumper
    97 Specialized FSR Ground Control
    00 Specialized M2 Stumpjumper Comp
    07 Marin "ING Direct"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by abramj View Post
    10 years? Childs Play! lets go 20.....

26ers over 10 years old-201510_15_.jpg

26ers over 10 years old-201510_5_.jpg

26ers over 10 years old-201510_6_.jpg

mtbr member
    Here's my 2003 Jekyll. Still going strong and it's bulletproof!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-img_1343.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegixxer600 View Post
    Here's my 2003 Jekyll. Still going strong and it's bulletproof!
    It probably isn't ;0)

mtbr member
    Sweet Cannon, Muddy, I'm thinking about going with a 1x8 on the stumpy, with a megarange 8 speed and take it back to a rigid front for a campus bike that can hit the trails if needed. Sure would be lighter... And by the way, how long did it take you to find the coolest car in the world to put a bike rack on. I like your style..
    07 Marin "ING Direct"

mtbr member

Old bikes rock on!

Post race, my first gravel grinder with a bit of mud tossed in. 7 hours 13 minutes, 46 miles. Not bad for a 96 and an 00. I turn 50 this year and plan on doing some big things. Gonna try a century next on my 91 Miyata 914.

26ers over 10 years old-img_20160313_085126991.jpg

Biggest problem of the day was my team mate was sick the whole ride. The bikes only had two issues. The rear cable on the 96 got gummed up and was hard/slow to shift on the rear. The 00 small ring was not cleaned prior to the race, and it got chain suck real bad and couldn't use it on the hills. Not an issue as my team mate had to walk them all due to his illness. The old biked did better than I thought. I plan on taking them again next year on the Death March Ride.
    07 Marin "ING Direct"

mtbr member
    Here's my 2000 Cannondale SuperV700SX which I bought in March of that year. Last year I had to replace the original swingarm because it cracked.

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Thanks man, I'll have to take some tomorrow morning when I go riding again. Most of the stickers are worn off but it's still in pretty good shape.

mtbr member
    As a collector of old mountain bikes I suppose this is a little bit like cheating, but yes, here are two that see regular ride time (one era correct, and one with modern bits). I have several others ranging as far back as 1979 that make it into the rotation on sunnier days.

1996 WTB Phoenix:

1994 Steve Potts Steelhead:

Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Some of the old bikes handle quite good. My primary trainer/commuter is a Univega Alpina 700 (made in china) with all random parts. I bought the frame on an internet closeout for $49 at least 10 years ago and built it up to pull my kids around in a trailer. The bike's purpose has evolved, worn out a lot of parts, but works great and I actually like how it handles, I just got a descending strava kom on it yesterday! By training/commuting mostly on the B bike, my carbon 29er race bike gets a lot more off time and stays all tuned up. Long ago I had a '91 Kona Explosif, which is when the frames were still really heavy (I weighed that 21" Explosif when I took it apart, bare frame was 6.75#), but I remember it handling really nicely, I'd love to find a mid 90s Kona in my size (ti would be ideal). The parts from the Explosif are now on a Raleigh Tomac, the ti one from the 90s, I don't really like how it handles, - maybe the Judy SL is the wrong height for it. My 12 year old kid rides (and sometimes races) a Stumpjumper Pro m2, that's a great bike too. Before he outgrew it (I'm saving it for my daughter) he was riding an Ibis Alibi, -another great bike. I'd be happy with either the stumpy or the ibis in my size.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Just started biking this year and picked this up a few weeks ago. It's an 06 or 07 Schwinn Panther. Single speed cruiser built on MTB geometry. I just changed the handlebars and put on a front v-brake.

26ers over 10 years old-uploadfromtaptalk1461448372853.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    2005 Prophet. Got it over Christmas and built it up during the winter. Love it!

26ers over 10 years old-cdale_prophetlake_resize.jpg

JORBA Member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mfiche View Post
    cnordt24,

That is an awesome fork. any close-ups?
    I actually just moved it to my 1996 Gary Fisher Joshua Y build, it's a little banged up but still holding strong! Started moving parts over last night from my Paragon, everything has been easy to move over except the rear brakes. I needed to dust off some old Shimano V-brakes, glad I still have a box of old parts lol

26ers over 10 years old-joshua2.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2016

2000 Trek 6000

Bought brand new in 2000, the frame is the only thing original left. Ridden daily. 26ers over 10 years old-fb_img_1462320433233.jpg

mtbr member
    ...deleted

mtbr member
    Nice bikes folks!

I've two years left before I can post my bike in this thread. No intention of getting rid of her! So I'll be back in 2017!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    This bike should be in the 26ers over 20 years old category

Early 1990's Zaskar

26ers over 10 years old-zaskar_3.jpg

Still runs but headset bearings are stiff and need replacing.

Too old to trust now but also too loved to throw out

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Here's my 2000 Mootaineer. Most recent upgrades: 1x11 XT, works -1 degree headset, Race Face SIXC bar. Still gets ridden somewhat regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interplanetary Traveler

2002 Cannondale Scalpel 1000

My 2002 Cannondale Scalpel 1000. Completely stock except for pedals and front brake rotor.
    26ers over 10 years old-img_37041.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zirkel 1 View Post
    Here's my 2000 Mootaineer.
    Love the linkage, I've never seen one like that, have you got a close up?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It's basically a linkage driven single pivot, relying on titaniums ability to flex where needed. I believe they called it their 'matched arc' technology. Would have been considered 'all mountain' back in the day, before there was such a term.[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...8e73fcd127.jpg[/m
    Still a blast to ride, suspect I'll always have it in my stable.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The lower shock mount can be moved to make it more progressive or linear. The rear disc mount was added several years after I got it. Had the option for disc only when I got it, though naively thought V-brakes were so good, why would I ever need disc brakes.

mtbr member
    1994 Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS. The frame and seat quick release are the only things that's original and it's been very slightly modified. I am looking to get new decals in the original colors and repaint the frame the original color. It's going to be my pavement queen. I also have a 1997 Max Backbone FSR but no pics.

26ers over 10 years old-img_20160501_210545709_zpsggluypj3.jpg

mtbr member
    Just posted on the Passion thread...old Ionic frame with upgrades a plenty...

Less yap more braaap
    I'll have to get some pics of my old Brodie Enduro (it's stashed in a friends garage at the moment). I've totally outgrown the frame but it still rocks. Not going to totally rebuild or put anything new into it just replace parts when necessary and keep it maintained and we have someone who wants to ride with us but doesn't have a bike of their own.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    26ers over 10 years old-trek-5.jpg26ers over 10 years old-trek-7.jpg26ers over 10 years old-trek-2.jpgNot exactly a heavy duty mountain bike in its day but it was so pristine I couldn't pass it up for $25. Trek Mountain Track 800, vintage unknown at the moment but thought to be early '90s. Its unrestored and was seldom used. Bought it a week ago off CL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zirkel 1 View Post
    Here's my 2000 Mootaineer. Most recent upgrades: 1x11 XT, works -1 degree headset, Race Face SIXC bar. Still gets ridden somewhat regularly.

Awesome. So clean.

Moderator Moderator

2004? Schwinn Rocket Comp
    Randall Cooper on Flickr
    If you have a problem please feel free to PM me.

mtbr member
    Still kicking. Cleaned up my 2005 Iron Horse 7 Point 3 over the weekend, need to get a front brake adapter, but should be ready for a few Trestle or Keystone days this summer. I don't ride park enough to justify a better DH bike, but it keeps the DH days off my Yeti. Might splurge on the new Flow rims and have them laced to the old hubs. These old rims are pretty beat.

Crash Dummy In Training

1997 Rock Hopper

My 1997 Rock Hopper daily rider work and around town.
    Before
    26ers over 10 years old-73220edf-69e0-4bbd-96ee-605dfac795d9_zpsn54nvi2r.jpg
    After some recent upgrades.
    26ers over 10 years old-9edd98e4-3905-45b9-a27a-87293a213171_zpsgwkgg1uz.jpg
    26ers over 10 years old-a0d38b38-2cf5-4044-bc34-32fa2bfa62d7_zpsttmkgfrj.jpg

More info on upgrade here upgraded to 1 x 10:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/26/1997-rock-...n-1012134.html
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

mtbr member
    May 2006

Smile

I bought a new Giant NRS3 back in 2005. Loved the frame so two years later I upgraded to the carbon version by buying a 2 year old NRS Air. Still riding it now. Replaced many cassettes, chains, chain rings over the years but the Shimano M960 XTR's are still going strong. I don't know how I'd live without the brake lever gear shifting. My 13 year old son is still riding the NRS3 and loving it.

But this week I bought another 2005 NRS3 for my 16 year old son. The funny thing is it doesn't look like its ever been ridden. 11 years old but it looks brand new !!! 26 still rules in our house !!

26ers over 10 years old-bike1.jpg

mtbr member

92 Cannondale

Here's my cherry '92 Beast of the East. I got the frame for a steal this past winter and built it up with a mix of vintage XT and modern components and a 1x10 drivetrain. It's a blast for jetting around town.
    26ers over 10 years old-bote11.jpg
    26ers over 10 years old-bote22.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Just bought this, does that count? 2006 Kikapu

I'm also ridding a 2006 Kona Kikapu deluxe.

mtbr member
    1997 Specialized Ground Control FSR Max Backbone mostly stock.
    26ers over 10 years old-img_20160509_125914021_hdr_zpsew7cbggk.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    2005 Trek 6500. Everything has been upgraded. Super fun bike. Got the weight down to 24 lbs. Since this picture was taken it now rides on bontrager XR4 expert tires and converted to 2x9 with a race face bash

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coalt45 View Post
    I'm also ridding a 2006 Kona Kikapu deluxe.
    Just saw this post. Have any pics to share?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by FLYINW View Post
    1997 Specialized Ground Control FSR Max Backbone mostly stock.
    Nice! You may enjoy this thread: 1998 FSR Elite "Max Backbone" -Rebuild- - Pinkbike Forum

Crash Dummy In Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaBass_ View Post
    Here's my cherry '92 Beast of the East. I got the frame for a steal this past winter and built it up with a mix of vintage XT and modern components and a 1x10 drivetrain. It's a blast for jetting around town.

Name:	BOTE11.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	1070062

Name:	BOTE22.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	1070063
    Nice what tires are you running ?
    ​​
    2015 Flyxii / ENVE /Chris King Carbon 29'er H.T.
    SRAM XX1
    2012 Stump Jumper Comp 29'er H.T. SRAM XX1
    1997 Rock Hopper / Rock Shox Recon Silver / 1 x 10 SRAM X9 XO Mix XT V Brake system

Peg Leg Pedaler
    Hey everyone. I havent been here in quiet some time. HAd a motorcycle accident and lost my left leg back in 2012 and sold my bikes since I wasnt able to ride anymore. Got my prosthesis a couple years ago and decided I was going to try riding a bicycle again. Ive slowly been getting back into it over the past 9 months or so and after buying and selling a few bikes I finally got a good fit for me. Heres my 2005 KHS Solo One Softail. I just got it from a guy who rebuilt it and powdercoated the frame silver metallic. I love it. I had no idea these existed and since I currently am unable to stand on the pedals, the elastomer "shock" in the rear really helps absorb the impact to my butt when I go over bumps. He told me He replaced basically everything but the frame and forks but I dont think thats true after researching it. It has almost all the same brand parts that came on it including the "power tools" hubs. I hope yall like it!

I installed pedal extensions because of my prosthetic leg. My heel kept striking the crank arm and jamming me up which is bad when I can only lean to the right to stop or fall off.

Its a single speed which I LOVE! This thing is basically a big BMX bike. I really dont want to deal with adjusting derailleurs and all of that. I like things simple.

These Kenda Big Block Eights are great but they have a massive profile and way more sidewall than Ill need anytime soon. I will only be riding on the street and VERY light and pretty flat trails so I might trade these for something with a shorter sidewall.

Its good to be back! Although Im no longer fueled by PBR lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    26ers over 10 years old-img_3699.jpg

New to me 2002 Kona Stinky Primo, set some new PR's on some local downhill trails just today. Fun bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FueledByPBR View Post
    Nice work, I've got two legs and don't think I'm fit enough to singlespeed!

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FueledByPBR View Post
    Hey everyone. I havent been here in quiet some time. HAd a motorcycle accident and lost my left leg back in 2012 and sold my bikes since I wasnt able to ride anymore. Got my prosthesis a couple years ago and decided I was going to try riding a bicycle again. Ive slowly been getting back into it over the past 9 months or so and after buying and selling a few bikes I finally got a good fit for me. Heres my 2005 KHS Solo One Softail. I just got it from a guy who rebuilt it and powdercoated the frame silver metallic. I love it. I had no idea these existed and since I currently am unable to stand on the pedals, the elastomer "shock" in the rear really helps absorb the impact to my butt when I go over bumps. He told me He replaced basically everything but the frame and forks but I dont think thats true after researching it. It has almost all the same brand parts that came on it including the "power tools" hubs. I hope yall like it!

I installed pedal extensions because of my prosthetic leg. My heel kept striking the crank arm and jamming me up which is bad when I can only lean to the right to stop or fall off.

Its a single speed which I LOVE! This thing is basically a big BMX bike. I really dont want to deal with adjusting derailleurs and all of that. I like things simple.

These Kenda Big Block Eights are great but they have a massive profile and way more sidewall than Ill need anytime soon. I will only be riding on the street and VERY light and pretty flat trails so I might trade these for something with a shorter sidewall.

Congratulation on getting back in the saddle. It takes incredible will power to do what you did.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast