26ers over 10 years old - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Twenty One Years Young.

Sweet bike. Looks capable of mountains.
    Why did you make it a 1x. They ware not common 20 years ago. My equally old has 3x6 and that was common then where I live, Then when needed new cassette I made it 3x9 and that is what it still is. Mainly because I could not find a new 6 speed cassette and 3x9 was cheap and easy to get.
    it is harder to get fit than to stay fit.

You have only one brain: protect it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6D ATB-1T EVO View Post
    Why did you make it a 1x. They ware not common 20 years ago.
    Well it would've been 1x8 originally, so it's basically the same!

mtbr member
    Why did you make it a 1x. They ware not common 20 years ago. My equally old has 3x6 and that was common then where I live, Then when needed new cassette I made it 3x9 and that is what it still is. Mainly because I could not find a new 6 speed cassette and 3x9 was cheap and easy to get.
    This was the 1999 FSR DH which was single ring. Shame it's so difficult to find original brochures. I had a 1997 print brochure back in the day but it got cleaned out at some point.

I've just got my 1998 FSR Elite fitted with the factory forks. I'll get some photos of that up when the weather clears. It's 3x8sp.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Well it would've been 1x8 originally, so it's basically the same!
    Show how little I know.
    Still a beautiful bike. How is it climbing or did/do you go by car to top of the mountain and use the bike down like many guys do here?
    it is harder to get fit than to stay fit.

You have only one brain: protect it!

mtbr member
    Show how little I know.
    Still a beautiful bike. How is it climbing or did/do you go by car to top of the mountain and use the bike down like many guys do here?
    I haven't ridden it. It's more a collectible or coffee bike. I imagine it will climb similar to my five other FSR bikes. Soggy but grippy.

mtbr member
    I've owned this one for about 8 years. Finally got the correct forks on it. Ironically so I can sell it.

26ers over 10 years old-img_20200702_152445.jpg

1998 FSR Elite.

It had a horrible mismatch of bits when I got it. Including a Judy C fork. It took me a while to get a Mango Xvert R with a long enough steerer for the XL head-tube.

Before then I had a 145mm Xvert DC on the front and longer stroke Vanilla RC on the rear. But I've finally been able to get it looking stock.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Didn't see this thread until now.

2005 Giant Trance

IMG_20200706_145908_ConvertedDNG by DtEW, on Flickr

I acquired the first-year-production frame-only in 2005 (it's the only version with both disk and rim brake bosses, not that I wanted rim brakes), built it up and rode the hell out it. It was my reliable epic bike.

It went into storage in 2010 (along with my MTBing; I did almost 20 years of it, just went on to something else).

Cue 2020 and COVID-19, and now MTBing is one of the few "safe" things to do, heh. Juggled lots of parts within my fleet (among which included building three wheels; don't ask), serviced the suspension, and voila... back in service.

And waiting for parts to arrive to convert my 2004 SC Heckler to to a 1x12.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

2004 Stumpjumper Pro converted to carbon hardtail.

26ers over 10 years old-20200701_155022.jpg

I just rebuilt my brother's old 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper pro after he broke the Shocklink and couldn't find another one. I moved everything over to a cheap but good carbon frame. The steadpost was upgraded to a NXC suspension, and other upgrades were the seat and both the derailleurs, the front cogs, rear cassette and bb. I also replaced all the cables with teflon coated ones. He is very happy with the result.

Athol

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Old Avanti Venura

26ers over 10 years old-2220200418_143206.jpg

This is my old Avanti Venura 26r that has been upgraded numerous times. I think the only original part is the frame, brake calipers and headset. In the last year alone I've changed the seat, seatpost, both derailleurs, cassette, cranks, pedals, headset, bottom bracket, chain twice, crankset and then changed the chainrings, wheels, tyres twice, handlebar, stem, all cables, brake/shifter control combo, and pads.

Athol

mtbr member
    Cross-posting: does anyone else have one of these? What is your experience?

1989 Schwinn Impact

Purchased on craigslist from someone who serviced it well and converted to 5 speed. I added rear Wald 137 basket with custom upholstered foam cushion, saddle (rain cover came with bike), caged pedals (temporary), and Portland Design Works sodapop fender set. Plan to swap out bars with Nitto Albatross from a friend when I get a chance. Also need to swap the quick release seatpost clamp for a nut.

Has been a joy to ride around Chicago these past 2 months. Picked it up for an everyday klunker/commuter to haul groceries and get around and for what little money I spent ($200) it has been a a gift.

The only downside has been the extra effort required to carry this thing up and down from the third floor twice daily. It is a tank.

26ers over 10 years old-schwinn_impact.jpg

Jethro NZ
    May 2020
    Cool thread to read through thanks everyone.

New to 26 inch mtb been on 27.5 for 6 years and bmx before that.
    Must say really love 26

Anyway to the bike.

Do believe its an 03 but if anyone knows more about these I'd love to hear.

I ditched the 3x ran it for a winter and ahhh not for me in the local trails.
    So its a sunrace 11 42t 10 speed and to me a rather special derailleur I built it out of a nice xo 9 speed and the clutch and cable guide from a old sloppy x9. Also mod the top jocky wheel location to a better offset for the wide range cassette. A nice X0 shifter still in the older 9 style case shifts this thing like an expensive watch its really REALLY nice lol

Still running mechanical brakes the tyres are from like 07 the fork is a lovely 130mm float R and yeah its a bit long but love the head angle and travel and the BB isn't too high infact I like it right where it is.

The bars are off an octane and were 635mm and had to fix that but like the old bars sooo... don't flame me but I epoxied and hammered in some hickory rake handle and then hammered and glued some tube to bring them too 700mm

Next on the mod list is 1.5 degree head angle adjustment and some ND tuned stanchions as mine are starting to go.

Its an absolute weapon of a bike big contrast to my genius LT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-screenshot_20200721-234444_gallery.jpg  

26ers over 10 years old-screenshot_20200721-234439_gallery.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Brand new here--1997 Schwinn S-20

Hello,

Total and complete noob. This bike was given to me last summer. I'm hoping to put new tires on it and ride it on gentle trails with my son. Best I can tell, a 1997 Schwinn S-20 with a lot of parts replaced.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-image_from_ios.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond_Dave View Post
    1997 Schwinn S-20 with a lot of parts replaced.

I have a 1999 Schwinn S-40 myself!

In case you don't know, these s-models are near-identical copies of the very highly regarded Schwinn Homegrown Factory Suspension bikes.

Just swapped in some 27.5" wheels, tan wall tires, and the most minimalist seatpost clamp in the universe:

Last edited by mikehuangsd; 1 Week Ago at 02:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehuangsd View Post
    I have a 1999 Schwinn S-40 myself!

In case you don't know, these s-models are near-identical copies of the very highly regarded Schwinn Homegrown Factory Suspension bikes.

Just swapped in some 27.5" wheels, tan wall tires, and the most minimalist seatpost clamp in the universe:

Cooool.

Hey, your pic didn't make it. Can you repost?

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond_Dave View Post
    Cooool.

Hey, your pic didn't make it. Can you repost?
    strange - well, here it is as an attachment - maybe this will work-
    Last edited by mikehuangsd; 1 Week Ago at 02:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by mikehuangsd View Post
    strange - well, here it is as an attachment - maybe this will work-
    Very cool!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DtEW View Post
    And waiting for parts to arrive to convert my 2004 SC Heckler to to a 1x12.

I did a 1 x 11 on mine....and promptly retired it. Worked great though....It's posted earlier in this thread, but here it is again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-heckler-az.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    I did a 1 x 11 on mine....and promptly retired it. Worked great though....It's posted earlier in this thread, but here it is again.
    slick

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Hi all,

My first post on MTBR forums and this seemed a good a place as any.

This is my Scott FX-30. It's a 2003 model although I bought it used in 2007.

It's had a few changes along the way.

Rockshox Tora 318 front shocks
    Rockshox Ario 2.2 rear damper
    Shimano M505 hydraulic brakes
    DMR V8 v2 pedals
    Maxxis Ardent Tyres (recent purchase)

It rides very well for such an old bike although is very heavy compared to today's bikes.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-tkfvwxfn_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2020
    My newly-completed 2004 DiamondbacK Topenga. I have plans to continue riding this thing for at least the next 4 years. Thing is a beast. New Hadley hub on the back there too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26ers over 10 years old-hadley.jpg  

26ers over 10 years old-bike-full.jpg  

Constantly trying to justify riding old bikes when in reality, I'm just too cheap to buy a new one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    This is my first, current, and only adult bike. It's a Fuji Nevada, purchased on my honeymoon in 2006 from a bike shop in a tourist town doing tons of rentals. They were selling off the older models at the end of the season. After 2 or 3 seasons of non-bikers riding it every day, I'm sure they replaced some things. So it's got a menagerie of parts making the exact year difficult to pin down. Based on the info on sites like bikepedia it appears to be a 2005 color with mostly 2004 components.

Whatever it is, I got a great deal. I rented it for the day, I think the cost was $30. When I returned it, the shop said for $200 I could take it home. They even waived the rental fee!

Never really rode much until this year. I recently replaced the chainrings, cassette, chain, and pedals. I'm learning that this bike and all the components are now considered old school, i.e. 26" wheels, 3x8 drivetrain, v-brakes, etc. But hey it's all like new to me and I'm fine with it! The best bike is the one you own right?

@daytimecyclist my wife has a Diamondback Topanga that's got to be late 90's. It needs some repair, but seeing yours all fixed up gives me hope.

Name:  ProShot_20200723_190933.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  37.9 KB
    -Flat Bars, Flat Pedals, Flat Saddle, and frequently Flat Tires.

Steamroller

Good time to sell them, or buy them

Right now is a good time to sell your old 26 inch wheel bike if youíre not still enthralled with it. With this virus thing going around there are a lot of people looking for bikes and the bike shop prices are up there, no need for them to discount. Bikes direct is out of almost every model currently and you canít even back order some of them itís like ďweíll let you know when you can place a back-order...unheard of. I am waiting for the arrival of a new bike sometime in Sept. I just sold my beautiful turner circa 2004 and my sons K2 attack 3.0 of about the same era. He just needs to move from medium to a large and Iím scoping out a good older 26 inch wheel bike for him that Iíll convert to 1 x 11.

The reason you can also buy used bikes a good price is right now is so many people have time on their hands to clean out their garages and end up selling a bunch of stuff on craigslist offer up etc. they donít always check prices and often list them kind of cheap. You just have to be quick on the draw and persistent because a lot of sellers donít bother to respond very well. With any luck Iíll find my son a bike as nice as the Turner I sold in his size, covert it to 1x11 and maybe tubeless And heíll be set.
    Two Wheeled and Too Big

mtbr member
    I still have and ride my Intense 5.5EVP. Still love it and havent had any issues keeping up with anyone on any terrain with the exception of Mountain Creek lol.
    Better to be pissed off than pissed on! Now get out and ride! ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakSooner View Post
    I just got mine done yesterday with a GX/NX Eagle mix.

IMG_20200731_105906_ConvertedDNG_ConvertedDNG by DtEW, on Flickr

Will take it out for a spin tomorrow. I've got a dropper on order for it as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DtEW View Post
    I just got mine done yesterday with a GX/NX Eagle mix.

IMG_20200731_105906_ConvertedDNG_ConvertedDNG by DtEW, on Flickr

Will take it out for a spin tomorrow. I've got a dropper on order for it as well.

Nice. Great looking ride!

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

COVID19 Project

I learned MTB on a hardtail. It taught me to optimize my body english on techy climbs and quickly pick the smoothest DH lines. Before I knew it - I'm on a full suspension..... and the HT is nowhere to be found. This summer - I test rode many, many Vintage 26er bikes, before I finally found one that actually inspired confidence, on modern trails. In fact, this 26er is such a phenomenal climber.... it propelled Alison Sydor and Tinker Juarez to World Domination, during the "Neon Nineties:"

26ers over 10 years old-f1000_done.jpg

26ers over 10 years old-tinker_signed2.jpg
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234