26ers over 10 years old - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Twenty One Years Young.

Sweet bike. Looks capable of mountains.
    Why did you make it a 1x. They ware not common 20 years ago. My equally old has 3x6 and that was common then where I live, Then when needed new cassette I made it 3x9 and that is what it still is. Mainly because I could not find a new 6 speed cassette and 3x9 was cheap and easy to get.
    it is harder to get fit than to stay fit.

You have only one brain: protect it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6D ATB-1T EVO View Post
    Why did you make it a 1x. They ware not common 20 years ago.
    Well it would've been 1x8 originally, so it's basically the same!

mtbr member
    Why did you make it a 1x. They ware not common 20 years ago. My equally old has 3x6 and that was common then where I live, Then when needed new cassette I made it 3x9 and that is what it still is. Mainly because I could not find a new 6 speed cassette and 3x9 was cheap and easy to get.
    This was the 1999 FSR DH which was single ring. Shame it's so difficult to find original brochures. I had a 1997 print brochure back in the day but it got cleaned out at some point.

I've just got my 1998 FSR Elite fitted with the factory forks. I'll get some photos of that up when the weather clears. It's 3x8sp.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Well it would've been 1x8 originally, so it's basically the same!
    Show how little I know.
    Still a beautiful bike. How is it climbing or did/do you go by car to top of the mountain and use the bike down like many guys do here?
    it is harder to get fit than to stay fit.

You have only one brain: protect it!

mtbr member
    Show how little I know.
    Still a beautiful bike. How is it climbing or did/do you go by car to top of the mountain and use the bike down like many guys do here?
    I haven't ridden it. It's more a collectible or coffee bike. I imagine it will climb similar to my five other FSR bikes. Soggy but grippy.

mtbr member
    I've owned this one for about 8 years. Finally got the correct forks on it. Ironically so I can sell it.

26ers over 10 years old-img_20200702_152445.jpg

1998 FSR Elite.

It had a horrible mismatch of bits when I got it. Including a Judy C fork. It took me a while to get a Mango Xvert R with a long enough steerer for the XL head-tube.

Before then I had a 145mm Xvert DC on the front and longer stroke Vanilla RC on the rear. But I've finally been able to get it looking stock.
    Owner of www.shockcraft.co.nz, Mech Engineer, Tuner, Manitou, Motorex, Vorsprung EPTC, SKF, Enduro
    www.dougal.co.nz

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Didn't see this thread until now.

2005 Giant Trance

IMG_20200706_145908_ConvertedDNG by DtEW, on Flickr

I acquired the first-year-production frame-only in 2005 (it's the only version with both disk and rim brake bosses, not that I wanted rim brakes), built it up and rode the hell out it. It was my reliable epic bike.

It went into storage in 2010 (along with my MTBing; I did almost 20 years of it, just went on to something else).

Cue 2020 and COVID-19, and now MTBing is one of the few "safe" things to do, heh. Juggled lots of parts within my fleet (among which included building three wheels; don't ask), serviced the suspension, and voila... back in service.

And waiting for parts to arrive to convert my 2004 SC Heckler to to a 1x12.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

2004 Stumpjumper Pro converted to carbon hardtail.

26ers over 10 years old-20200701_155022.jpg

I just rebuilt my brother's old 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper pro after he broke the Shocklink and couldn't find another one. I moved everything over to a cheap but good carbon frame. The steadpost was upgraded to a NXC suspension, and other upgrades were the seat and both the derailleurs, the front cogs, rear cassette and bb. I also replaced all the cables with teflon coated ones. He is very happy with the result.

Athol

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Old Avanti Venura

26ers over 10 years old-2220200418_143206.jpg

This is my old Avanti Venura 26r that has been upgraded numerous times. I think the only original part is the frame, brake calipers and headset. In the last year alone I've changed the seat, seatpost, both derailleurs, cassette, cranks, pedals, headset, bottom bracket, chain twice, crankset and then changed the chainrings, wheels, tyres twice, handlebar, stem, all cables, brake/shifter control combo, and pads.

Athol

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234