26er: Replace just front wheel, or whole new wheelset?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

26er: Replace just front wheel, or whole new wheelset?

I recently cracked the factory front rim on my Transition Covert 26". It's a 2011 and in fantastic shape as it was only rode for two seasons then stored for 6 until this year. It did a full drive train refresh (der, shifters, and brakes) at the beginning of the season as I had the parts for a 27.5 HT build than never happened. Shock and fork were upgraded before it was stored. I plan to ride the bike the next 3 seasons plus before looking to make the jump to 27.5 or 29er. I run 2.35 Maxxis front and rear, and my frame supports up to 2.5 which I would like to try next.

Between talking to my LBS and researching online it looks like I have really only 3 decent priced options based on my 15x100mm front axle and 10x135mm rear axle.

1. Quality Wheels Deore M610/DT Swiss 533d for $140 plus $20 for centerlock to 6 bolt adapter.
    Pros: Cheap and widely available, tubeless ready
    Cons: Not sure how strong a rim, ID is only 22mm

2. Spank Spoon 32 Wheelset for $365 sale plus $20 for axle adapter
    Pros: Upgrade over my factory wheels, 26.5 ID
    Cons: Spank says not recommended for tubeless but people do it

3. Spank Spike Race 33 wheelset for $425 plus $20 for hub adapter.
    Pros: Upgrade over the Spoon 32, 28mm ID, tubeless ready
    Cons: Should I really be spending that much money on a 26er?

Where would you draw the line on your 26er? If the Spoon 32 was tubeless ready (or Spank didn't recommend against it) I would have already ordered them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Why can't you replace just the front wheel's rim? That'd be the most economical option. If you find a rim with the same ERD then you can reuse the spokes too.
    Also, you can probably find a front wheel on craigslist. I picked up a free one and it was in great condition.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpath View Post
    Why can't you replace just the front wheel's rim? That'd be the most economical option. If you find a rim with the same ERD then you can reuse the spokes too.
    Also, you can probably find a front wheel on craigslist. I picked up a free one and it was in great condition.
    Just replacing the rim on the front wheel was by first choice, but it turns out it's no more economical then buying the Quality Wheel. I checked two LBS shops and they were both only/barely $20 cheaper than a full new wheel. Even with a similar ERD rim both shops wanted to replace the spokes (for safety reasons) and did not guarantee that the hub would not be damaged in the process. One guys was really honest and said most LBS only rebuild it it's a really high end wheel sets and prefer to order the entry and mid range stuff from dedicated wheel builders because they can do it better and cheaper.

I've been scouring fleabay and craigslist for over a week now and haven't found a decent deal on a 15x100mm front wheel...everything is either QR, 115x110, or 20x110

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Huh, maybe the shops just don't want to deal with a small job.

If it weren't for shipping, this wouldn't be too bad:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/XLC-26-Fron...Rb4Pc1pElZz6iQ

Or it could be a great opportunity to learn to true a wheel. You don't even need to lace it. Just find a similar rim, tape it to the existing wheel and transfer each spoke one by one and then tension and true the wheel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I certainly thought about that and even watched a few videos online. Not sure I have the patience and dexterity to to resting a wheels. Also having trouble getting the exact specs (like ERD) on my original wheels so matching up a rim has been tough. Wouldn't mind swapping rims on both my front and rear ans my hubs are in great shape!

Pro Crastinator
    i reuse spokes when swapping rims all the time. never had any problems. can't say i've ever damaged a hub in the process either. been doing it since the 80's..

Pro Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by fastpath View Post
    ...similar rim, tape it to the existing wheel and transfer each spoke one by one and then tension and true the wheel.
    this is exactly how i did my first few before i learned how to build them from scratch

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Look for a used front wheel on eBay or pb

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Unless you have to go new, I wold look for a lightly used one on pinkbike, ebay, facebook, or craigslist. You can save a lot of money and get a higher quality wheel set.

Human shaped object
    First off, sweet that you are sticking with 26 for the next few seasons. Second, awesome that no one has come along (yet) to tell you that it's a bad idea, and you should just buy a new $4000 bike.
    It might be more to your skill level to lace the rim to the hub, and then just bring it to the LBS for the final trueing, save a few bucks that way and avoid the hassle of what sounds like a bit of an upsell...
    I have no experience with tubeless, so I have to ask why tubeless seems to be a must nowadays. Have you had a lot of pinch flats with tubes, or is it the whole low pressure/traction thing? Genuine curiosity, as I'm planning a rebirth for my old bike, and wondering if this is somewhere I need to go.
    Life is the sieve through which my anarchy strains, resolving itself into works

No known cure
    I've never had an issue with mail order XT level machine built wheelsets when in a pinch. Break them in, then have them tuned by a wrench who knows tension.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If you aren't in a hurry you should take a look at these Hope Hoops Pro4 wheels @ Merlin Cycles UK. The Enduro model is out of stock at the moment but will be back soon- they sell out quick and there's a reason for it. $156 shipped to US for a Hope front wheel is insane and totally worth it.

The I.D. is not super trendy @ 23mm but will match perfectly with Maxxis 2.3 tires- I run DHF 2.3 on mine and have no complaints.

Although if you really want to save $$ I agree that re-lacing a new rim is your best bet.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    If you really want the spank wheel I wouldn't let the tubeless not recommended bother me. It's been my experience that any rim baring really narrow xc rims can be run tubeless. My guess is they didn't design the bead to be tubeless ready so they don't want to deal with any warranty issues if someone has a hard time setting up their tires. That doesn't mean you won't be able to run it tubeless with great success. Only issue I've had with non TR rims and tires is they need a good compressor to set up. Maybe more burping, but that was with 21mm rims.

Also, if you are interested in learning to build wheels go ahead and dive in. It's really not hard, and any basic cheap truing stand will work great. It is nice to have a dishing tool but I built my first few wheels using the frame and fork to dish. Below is a great resource that uses color coding and explicit directions. There's way more info than you need here so don't worry about reading every word. Skip down to the color coded directions to see if it's something you want to learn. Once you can build wheels life is so much easier! I always thought wheel building was for advanced bike mechanics only. I wish I learned earlier because it's not a big deal. A trashed rim becomes 100 bucks or much less when you can build, vs paying who knows what for a complete wheel or someone else to build for you. If you ride a lot, and are tough on rims, it's so worth putting in the time to learn.

https://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    These BWW guys claim to hand build in house. They've got this on sale now for $240:
    Down Hill - Gravity Pro
    You can choose your front and rear axle types and freehub type.
    This tubeless ready set is about $360, with many axle/freehub options:
    Enduro Pro 26in MTB Custom Build

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just picked up set of Spinergy Enduro wheels for $280 shipped... that price was too good to ignore. They also had the lighter version for $225 with the white spokes... anyway, I thought this was a tremendous deal for a brand new wheels directly from the manufacturer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I picked up a set of Pro-Build wheels with Chosen hubs for like $195 shipped from Merlin Cycles. I weigh 210, frequently ride with my daughter for another 35 lbs on the bike, and havenít broken them on the first few rides, so thatís a good start, right? 25mm inner width, tubeless capable (didnít come taped or with valves) and the hubs say 120 tooth engagement on their website but the ones I got are marked as chosen 150T hubs, which I thought were 150 point hubs. Iíve been impressed so far, and have taken some dicey downhill sections but no jumps yet.