2014 Habanero 26", Time to upgrade?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

2014 Habanero 26", Time to upgrade?

Hi MTBR,
    Now that COVID is letting up and it's close to summer, I've been thinking about upgrading my mountain bike. I'm mainly a recreational biker with the occasional weekend foray into trail riding. My bike is a mixture of components over the years. I used to have a Specialized Carbon mountain bike but went with titanium for its longevity. I moved most of my parts onto the titanium bike.

Some thoughts on upgrading
    1. Upgrade 3x9 mixture to all 2020 Shimano 1x12. Initially thinking all XT but decided based on reviews it was overkill for my type of riding. So I heard that all SLX + XT shifters (double chain shifting) was the best value proposition. Plus the ease of maintenance.
    2. upgrade to flat pedals. Not having to deal with cleats is main benefits. What are a good set of flat pedals?

Any other thoughts? I did briefly think about getting a new used bike on Pros Closet. But I've been wanting to go all Shimano for some time, especially now with the latest Hyperglide+ tech.

2014 Habanero Titanium MTB 26" Hardtail
    FORK Fox F90X, 90mm travel, air spring, inertia valve w/ Pro Tune, enduro blue seal kit, alloy steerer
    HEADSET 1 1/8" threadless, integrated alloy cups, sealed cartridge bearing
    HANDLEBARS Ergon
    FRONT BRAKE Magura Marta, hydraulic disc, 160mm rotor
    REAR BRAKE Magura Marta, hydraulic disc, 160mm rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS Magura Marta
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano M760 XT, 34.9 clamp, bottom swing, dual pull
    REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM X.0, 9-speed, long cage
    SHIFT LEVERS SRAM X.0, carbon/aluminum trigger 9-speed
    CASSETTE / FREEWHEEL Sram X.0 red , 11/34t
    CHAIN SRAM PC-971 w /Power Link
    CRANKSET Shimano M-760 XT Hollowtech II, 2pc crank/BB
    CHAINRINGS 22A/32A/44A 4mm thick outer, 4 bolt 104/64mm
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano M-760 XT, integrated with crank
    PEDALS Shimano M-520 SPD
    RIMS Mavic XM-819 Disc, 26", black, welded seam, tubeless
    FRONT HUB Specialized Stout disc, sealed cartridge bearing, high/low flange, 32h
    REAR HUB DT Swiss Custom SL, 32h disc, alloy QR
    SPOKES DT Swiss Super Comp 2.0/1.7/1.8 stainless, alloy nipples
    FRONT TIRE Maxxis Ignitor Lust 26x2.1 tubeless 70% tread
    REAR TIRE Maxxis Ignitor Lust 26x2.1 tubeless 60% tread
    TUBES N/A
    SADDLE Brooks Saddle
    SEAT POST Thomson (19", 21") 410mm
    SEAT BINDER 34.9mm clamp, dual bolt for carbon frame/post

mtbr member
    No. A lovely Ti frame. Be happy and ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    No reason to get a new bike, you've got a sweet rig there. If you want to upgrade the drive-train go for it. 1x can be really great if you like a quiet ride and you're not all that picky about cadence. If you want the new new shimano 12 speed with micro-spline you will end up needing a new rear hub/wheel. That is unless DT swiss has a conversion kit which they often do, just have to check their compatibility charts.

As for flats, they're great, worth trying at-least for a while, especially for a more recreational riding style. Way easier to do a quick grocery run with flats that clipless. I've been running Race Face Chesters for a year now, cheap but solid and plenty sticky with the right shoes. If plastic aint your thing the Xpedo Spry pedals seem pretty good, haven't tried them but I've been interested in them for a while. Be warned with a hard-tail you definitely have to focus more in rock gardens than with clips. The benefit is that you end up trying new skills and features you might have been afraid to do previously. They also force you to learn to flow better on the trail and choose better lines. I've progressed way more in the last year with flat pedals than in the previous 3 with clips.
    ¡Rodando Por Ti!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks wightweenie26er,
    I kinda agree with you. I really only have room for one bike and I would hate to get rid of a perfectly fine bike. So you don't think going 1x12 is a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by wightweenie26er View Post
    No. A lovely Ti frame. Be happy and ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks CromolyCowboy,
    Yes, I've seen a bunch of reviews on the new micro-spline and Hypgerglide+, it seems about time to give it a try, as it's a decent jump forward in tech. Yes I know it will require pretty much overhauling my drivetrain but I kinda want to try all Shimano.

I've give the Race Face, Xpedo Spry a look. Is there a special type of gummy shoe that I would need or does a pair of sneakers work just as well? Shimano SPD also have clipless extended with platforms but I would rather go all flat if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by CromolyCowboy View Post
    No reason to get a new bike, you've got a sweet rig there. If you want to upgrade the drive-train go for it. 1x can be really great if you like a quiet ride and you're not all that picky about cadence. If you want the new new shimano 12 speed with micro-spline you will end up needing a new rear hub/wheel. That is unless DT swiss has a conversion kit which they often do, just have to check their compatibility charts.

As for flats, they're great, worth trying at-least for a while, especially for a more recreational riding style. Way easier to do a quick grocery run with flats that clipless. I've been running Race Face Chesters for a year now, cheap but solid and plenty sticky with the right shoes. If plastic aint your thing the Xpedo Spry pedals seem pretty good, haven't tried them but I've been interested in them for a while. Be warned with a hard-tail you definitely have to focus more in rock gardens than with clips. The benefit is that you end up trying new skills and features you might have been afraid to do previously. They also force you to learn to flow better on the trail and choose better lines. I've progressed way more in the last year with flat pedals than in the previous 3 with clips.

local trails rider
    There's nothing particularly wrong with the bike - unless something is worn out, or you just want a change.
    I haven't kept up with what flat pedals are in the market now but would look for relatively thin ones. Last time I used flat pedals, I went for skateboarding style shoes. Something with pretty stiff soles. Riding a bike in thin and flexy shoes makes my feet hurt.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    May 2020
    regarding pedals i would recommend nukeproof electron evos.....tough plastic pedals that dont look rubbish the first time you lay your bike down and you can get rebuild kits for them. ive been using them for years (the evos are the newer version of the old electrons i was using).....as for shoes 510 freeriders. These together equals amazing grip and would highly recommend these. Trust me you will be amazed how grippy this combo is. I cant wiggle my fit to adjust its position as theres so much grip i have to lift my foot of the pedal to reposition it there that grippy.