2008 Haro Flightline Sport Build Ideas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

2008 Haro Flightline Sport Build Ideas

Hi all, So i just got back into mountain biking after a long hiatus and am wondering about upgrading parts for my flightline sport. My current experience is at Forks Area Trails system in South Carolina. Ive always loved my Haro but the age is starting to show on her. This weekend i rode deepstep and brownwave if anyone is familiar with those trails. Both flowy and have some good jump sections. I've looked into upgrading my front fork as my current suntour xcm has busted its seals and is nowhere near the comfort it used to be.
    I have been looking into the Radieon by suntour to upgrade it with and it seems to have good reviews. Has anyone attempted to modernize these bikes? Would love to see some builds or hear any ideas anyone has for me. Chain, gearsets, brakes etc.
    My budget is not big enough for a new bike but I also love this one and would love to bring it back up to snuff if possible. My bike will still kill it on those trails because i could outpace and jump my buddy who just got a used Raleigh Kodiak 1 this weekend. Any and all ideas are welcome! Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    What I would do, and more or less will do on my own project:

- A wide bar + short stem used from eBay or similar. Nothing fancy, just OEM stuff taken off when people upgrade.
    - A Deore M6000 1X drivetrain, an inexpensive Narrow-wide chainring and entry level Shimano hydraulic brakes - you might get the best prices from Euro vendors like Bike24 or bike-components.de
    - For the fork, aside from the Raidon I would look into Rockshox 30 or Recon Silver or Manitou Markhor. Also check Euro sites for for any good deals. However the fork will easily be the most expensive part of the upgrade and Suntour XCM seems to be a pretty easily serviceable fork for the DIYer (check Youtube vids).

But before I would do anything I would take a long hard look on the bike as it is - is the frame intact, are the wheels in good condition and all that - just not to pour money and effort into something ultimately unsalvageable.

mtbr member
    I used a Recon Silver on my most successful "modernization" project on a 2003 XC bike. The Recon is a pretty nice fork in its price range. The bike was 110mm up front, and I increased it to 130mm with the Recon. That, along with wider bars and shorter stem, really improved the bike a lot. I believe your Flightline is (or was originally) 100mm. I'd consider going to 120 or 130 to artificially slacken the bike. Maybe, budget permitting, go 27.5 up front and create a mullet.

I agree with TimoA on the brakes, if you need to update them.

As for drive train... I don't update from 2/3x to 1x just because it's cool. If the drive line is worn or broken, then, yeah, I consider going 1x or 2x (from 3x). If the old stuff is working, no reason to update it since 2/3x gets the job done just fine. Use that cash for something else. Remember, if you're on an 8 speed, going to 11 or 12 isn't plug and play, and may require a new wheel (or at least a new hub).
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I've had 3x, 2x and 1x and I would argue that 1x is a major convenience upgrade, especially if the terrain requires rapid gear changes. The Deore 10 speed 11-42 cassette (CS-HG500) will work where an 8-speed does and is cheap as chips at least in Europe. Then again the Flightline Sport may have a riveted together crankset that will not allow changing the chainrings so a new crank will be in order..however a used Acera crank or similar wont set you back much. I do agree though that the drivetrain may not be the first thing to upgrade if the old one does its job.

I would probably try to service the old fork first and try out a new bar and stem along with a fresh set of cables and housing. Parts cost should be well under 100$ at this point.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I am in the process of updating my 2000 GT Full Suspension and so far I have upgraded to wider bars and shorter stem. New Rockshox fork, i updated to 1x8 and have ordered Microshift Advent rear 9 Speed system to be 1x9 with nice gear ratios i am going to put new wheels on to run front disc brake and rear vbrake.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    So is the raidon not as good as the other options? It seemed good because it was adjustable up to 120mm travel, air, and same brand so i was thinking almost a direct replacement. My drivetrain seems ok right now, a little slack and popping here and there if she misses a gear but not bad. The frame is very intact, Im 5'11'' prob 230 range and i havent seen any stress in the welds. My wheels def need to be retrued but they are not that bad either. I did notice after this weekend my front making some noise it did not before, kind of a wirey spinning sound.
    Can someone explain what the stem is exactly and why i would want shorter, sorry noob question. I am torn on wide bars or not, i rode on my brother and friends newer bikes with them and it definitely felt goofy compared to what i am used to.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The stem is the piece of metal that connects your handlebar to the fork steerer tube. I think this thread should explain this upgrade best: https://forums.mtbr.com/26er-bikes/w...r-1116701.html

I think the Raidon has a bit of a reputation of not being all that smooth and sensitive to smaller bumps. Basically what makes a fork to be a direct replacement to the current ones are 1) front axle standard (9mm QR in your case 2) steerer tube standard (straight or tapered - most likely you've got a straight) and 3) intended wheel size (26" though 27.5" may also work). The fork brand has little to do with it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I have all 26er's for trail riding ('98 Zaskar w/100mm travel, '99 Rocky Mountain w/80mm, and 07 Brodie w/ 150mm. Don't go overboard on fork travel unless the front of your frame is well-gusseted (strong), as the extra leverage from a longer fork can do some damage. If a higher spec model in the same line came with a longer travel fork, you know you're safe to go longer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    This is all great info, thank you! It sounds like i have alot more reading and deciding on what i want this bike to be. Its great riding on campus for class and i enjoy it on the trails too. I just dont wanna make too many changes and loose what i enjoy about the bike. Sounds like bar and stem is first though. Fork may can hold out longer, i was jumping stairs on campus this weekend and she didnt fail on me.