mtbr member
    Apr 2013

2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR value

This is not a for sale ad. I currently own a fairly mint condition, never trail ridden, and overall pristine 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR with all original equipments except for a couple of small changes to handlebar and pedals. Otherwise, all original components. The bike has been stored for over 10 years and maybe saw 25 miles of paved running path use in its life. It still looks like I just brought it home from the bike shop.

I finally live somewhere where I intend to start riding and my boys are finally old enough and have learned to ride bicycles. We live near some great trails and Iím about to buy my wife a new 650b hardtail to get her into the sport.

I know that Iíll be wanting a 29Ē ride in short order and am wondering what the most money I could probably get for mine before abusing it too much. Thereís a pretty active MTB community around me and Iím sure I can find a buyer - I just want to price it right. I also know that 26Ē bikes are becoming a thing of the past but thereís still some demand.

What do you think would be a reasonable price to ask for this bike given itís pristine condition? I paid $1400 for it back in 2016.

mtbr member
    I'd say $400 max ,,even pristine its just another old bike,,,you'd need to find the right person to get $400 in my area(sacramento)

Demon Cleaner
    Pristine isnít necessarily good in this case. If I was buying an old FSR I would be looking for one with updated suspension etc. the 2006 stuff just doesnít compare. Having said that, you should start by asking more than $400. I sold a 2004 Enduro for $1200 in 2013 and was very happy to get that much. Check your local Craigslist to see what they are going for. Perhaps a cash strapped college student would be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Put a short stem, wide bars and sticky rubber on it and ride the shit out of it. It's still got another ten years riding in it!

mtbr member
    You won't even get close to half what you paid for it. It's a great bike and you haven't even ridden it enough to appreciate it. Ride the hell out of it!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not only are you trying to sell a 26'er with geo no one wants anymore, you probably have some proprietary specialized standards that even they don't support anymore. Condition isn't relevant. It could be new in the box and it wouldn't matter much. What's the eye to eye on your shock? I think spec used some retarded sizing only they made? Spec is famous for that kind of nonsense.

I would say If you know you want a 29'er, you may as well bend over and take 400 or less for it and know that any new 29'er you buy will be worth half of what you pay after the first year. After the second year you'll again have outdated standards and lose even more value. Welcome back! Open your wallet, bend over, don't ask questions and you'll fit in fine.

Class Clown
    Depends on the market. Where I live Spesh bikes get good money, even older ones. So check out craigslist and get a sense of the local market. I would probably give you more than $400 because I almost bought a 2007 back in the day and wish I had.

There is definitely a collector's market for bikes with OEM parts.

aka "SirLurkAlot"
    Mar 2010
    This is the internet so here's my 2 cents.

I just purchased a highly upgraded Santa Cruz Superlight for $500. It wasn't pristine and had been sitting for 10 years. It needed tires, bars (I don't trust 10+ yr old carbon), full tear down and greased, etc. I haven't had a 26" wheeled bike in 12+ years. I converted it to singlespeed and will mix it up with my HT SS 29er. I may or may not have paid too much. It's worth what someone is willing to pay but it isn't worth a whole lot.

I think I've owned a dozen or so 29ers. I love them but I wouldn't buy one if I were in your position. Put on some new rubber and convert it to tubeless if it isn't already. Bikes are made to be ridden and yours wasn't. Ride it. Ride it a lot and then maybe buy another bike.

That 29er wont' make you a better rider and your current bike isn't holding you back. I would ride it like it was stolen and ride it some more. The previous comments about depreciation of any new bike are spot on. On top of that, the industry is in a ridiculous period of pushing new standards yearly making anything today, outdated tomorrow. It may settle down in a year or two or the insanity may continue until 26" wheels are the greatest new standard

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    More changes have happened in mountain bike technology in the last 10 years than in the entire history of mountain bikes combined before that. The bike you have is really not worth any significant amount of money, so you should enjoy it as much as you can. Keeping it "pristine" is like not driving your 1980 Chevy van because you don't want it to be worn out.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    Depends on the market. Where I live Spesh bikes get good money, even older ones. So check out craigslist and get a sense of the local market. I would probably give you more than $400 because I almost bought a 2007 back in the day and wish I had.

There is definitely a collector's market for bikes with OEM parts.
    06 SJ collectable? 96 yes, but 06? His bike is about as unique and collectable as an 06 Toyota Camry.

Op, it's a tough pill to swallow. Many on this forum including myself have older bikes worth little now regardless of condition. You will take it hard up the rear, and you won't even get the common courtesy of a reach around.

Class Clown
    A pristine 06 camry with low miles is still going to fetch good money. Yes there are newer technologies but there is still a market for old stuff, especially unused and unabused.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    ride it for 10 more years and then you do have a collectible classic retro bike

As said before, new technology does not make you a better rider. Probably more confort and a bit faster but that's all. Most of the replies here justsuggest you can have a lot of fun on that 26" bike. And it's true. Just give it a try.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dundundata View Post
    A pristine 06 camry with low miles is still going to fetch good money. Yes there are newer technologies but there is still a market for old stuff, especially unused and unabused.
    You're missing my point. An 06 Camry will never be collectable, nor will an 06 SJ. Nothing against an 06 SJ, it will ride as well today as it did in 06, but there's nothing special about it that will make it collectable. It's a mass produced, overseas made, run of the mill trail bike that marks nothing in special in MTB history.

Very few want 06 geo and unsupported standards. Add to that a used market absolutely flooded with high end 26" stuff, and you couldn't pick a worse time to sell an 06 SJ.

White7 is spot on with his 400 estimate.

Flappity flappity flap
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    Very few want 06 geo and unsupported standards. Add to that a used market absolutely flooded with high end 26" stuff, and you couldn't pick a worse time to sell an 06 SJ.
    Yeah, high end stuff that's worthless because you can't get parts.

The best kind of worthless.

Class Clown
    any pictures of this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Put a short stem, wide bars and sticky rubber on it and ride the shit out of it. It's still got another ten years riding in it!
    +1.... you'll make a more informed decision on the bike you end up buying if you start off riding what you've got for a bit.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudguard View Post
    Yup, shorter stem, wider bars, and some Stan's Flow mk3 rims with 2.3-2.4 tires. And a comfortable seat.

Class Clown
    And a bell ding ding!