18" Vintage GT MTB for 6'1"- Mtbr.com
    TPO
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020

18" Vintage GT MTB for 6'1"

Hey Everyone,

I have the opportunity to get an affordable 1999 GT Backwoods MTB. I know it's old and outdated, but I am primarily looking to hit some trails w/my 7yo son and see how we like mountain biking. Plus, I have a soft spot for GT's!

I'm not going to be riding competitively or hitting crazy trails, and I have a road bike for general riding. This will be primarily to hit up local beginner trails and paths, etc.

The frame is 18" (center of BB to center of seat tube/top tube junction.). I'm 6'1" w/a 34" inseam.

Will this be a good fit for me?

I'm in a rural area and have to drive a bit of a distance to see the bike. Just trying to get an idea if it's worth the ride.

Any insight on how vintage GT MTB's fit people would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    well as a data point, i'm 6'1" and have had a 1995 20" GT Tempest since new. Bike shop put me on it when I was 15 and not even this height...I was supposed to "grow into it". I don't have much standover room when i'm on uneven ground but it always felt good while riding, with my long arms and legs. 175mm crank arms, 105mm/6* stem.

I've always wanted to test an 18" as I think that would be a better fit for aggressive riding. But only use this bike gets is keeping up w/ my 7yr old around the neighborhood trails.

So my vote is go get it.

TPO
    mtbr member
    Jul 2020
    I went ahead and bought it, and I think it fits great! It feels like the perfect amount of standover room, and is really easy to get cruising on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    The geometry on my 1995 has a completely horizontal top tube. Not sure what changes occurred through '99, but at 18" your standover height should be comfortable and overall a good fit.

You can always change stems and handlebars to adjust the fit slightly. I replaced the 120mm stem for a 105, and got rid of the heavy narrow steel handlebars for light wider alloy. I'd like to try a riser bar.

If you are mechanically inclined, I'd recommend you go through all the components. giving everything a good cleaning, regreasing, and adjustment.