YT Jeffsy plus bike build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

YT Jeffsy plus bike build

so I'm entertaining myself with this thought of turning my near future Jeffsy 29 purchase from trail bike to enduro plus bike (with the help from angleset) that pedals uphill with less problems.

planning to put front DHF 3.0 tire - read that Fox 36 fork has no problems with that, but am trying to find somebody who did that, to shed some light on the subject.

in the back ppl say Maxxis 2.6WT tires fit no problem - so again, trying to find somebody who did that to confirm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Meh I wouldnít run a 3.0 .. I ran that setup on my fuse and it was too slow and sluggish.. I went down to a 2.6 and it rolls much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    29 x 3Ē is a really tall tire, normal 29er fork wonít fit, need a 29+ fork, then you got the mismatch front to rear as the Jeffry rear end maxes out at 2.5-2.6Ē, so yeah, not really gonna work the way you expect. Just run the bike the way it was designed or get a different bike.

I also wonder how adding big tires and slacking it out with an angleset will ďimproveĒ climbing. Me thinks youíre reading the wrong PB comments.
    Guerilla Gravity Shred Dogg
    Fezzari Signal Peak (For Sale)
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post
    29 x 3Ē is a really tall tire, normal 29er fork wonít fit, need a 29+ fork
    is that an opinion or a fact? did you try it yourself? any source? (not trolling)

then you got the mismatch front to rear as the Jeffry rear end maxes out at 2.5-2.6Ē, so yeah, not really gonna work the way you expect.
    been riding 'mismatch' tires since I ride bikes basically, currently front 2.5wt, rear 2.3. plus i really don't expect anything special, just want to add plushness to ride without going soft on suspension, utilising new technologies plus tires provide. I think I'll like that a lot.

maybe you meant the different tallness of 3.0 and 2.6 tires might get problematic? don't think that as well. but who knows. that's why I made this thread - to try to find people who maybe tried this.

Just run the bike the way it was designed or get a different bike.
    I've been riding bikes 'wrong' it seems my whole life - first Spesh SX Trail as an enduro bike, going up and down, then Spesh Enduro, as an enduro/aggro-trail bike, and now YT Capra for enduro/aggro-trail/all-day-long bike - all of them with no problem. just made myself more fitter in the process, I guess.
    this Jeffsy plus build would just be a logical next-step for me, I guess.
    but thanx for the concern, appreciate it.

I also wonder how adding big tires and slacking it out with an angleset will ďimproveĒ climbing.
    sorry for the confusion - that was comparing modern burly/heavier enduro bikes to still burly but lighter aggro trail bike that Jeffsy certainly is. from what I get from the reviews from magazines, and some of my friends riding new Jeffsy - it seems new Jeffsy is what old Capra used to be, and new Capra went to borderline freeride/super-enduro territory. in that regard I used 'improve climbing'.

Me thinks youíre reading the wrong PB comments.
    may be, but let a man dream.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassballer150 View Post
    Meh I wouldnít run a 3.0 .. I ran that setup on my fuse and it was too slow and sluggish.. I went down to a 2.6 and it rolls much better
    ok.
    was watching bikeradar video on comparing 2.3/2.6/2.8 tires, and 2.8 ended being fastest and the best damped.

interesting to see you have other findings.

will definitely have to dig deeper and try to figure out what I want/need, for sure.

thanx for the info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashas View Post
    ok.
    was watching bikeradar video on comparing 2.3/2.6/2.8 tires, and 2.8 ended being fastest and the best damped.
    Check out the 2.8" Tire thread. There really aren't many options in 29 x 2.8" that actually measure out to that size. Tons of 2.6" options though.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So it looks like you know everything already.

Enjoy your ride dude.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Check out the 2.8" Tire thread. There really aren't many options in 29 x 2.8" that actually measure out to that size. Tons of 2.6" options though.
    I'm mainly looking into 29 Maxxis tires, as I really love how they ride on my 27.5 bike.
    you are right, there are very little 29x2.8 options, especially with them, don't know why...
    2.8 would be my first choice, instead of 3.0, for sure.

mtbr member
    So it looks like you know everything already.

Enjoy your ride dude.
    actually no - but you'd need to read my whole post to realize that.
    thanx for not helping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    ok.

interesting to see you have other findings.

will definitely have to dig deeper and try to figure out what I want/need, for sure.

thanx for the info.
    I also ran a 3.0 in the rear and a 2.6 in the front that setup was actually really good.. I might go back to that setup I just need to make sure my new frame (Ragley mmmbop) fits a 3.0

mtbr member
    I also ran a 3.0 in the rear and a 2.6 in the front that setup was actually really good.. I might go back to that setup I just need to make sure my new frame (Ragley mmmbop) fits a 3.0
    I occasionally run 29x2.5, 27.5x2.8 Mullet on my Jeffry(lol) and itís brilliant!

mtbr member

wow, really interesting. very chopper/cruiser motorbike kind of setup. would never even think about having fatter tire on the rear, for a bicycle.
    how did your bike behave cornering and all that?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    I occasionally run 29x2.5, 27.5x2.8 Mullet on my Jeffry(lol) and itís brilliant!
    was thinking myself having, let's say - winter setup 29x2.5/2.6 setup, and non-winter 27.5 front 2.8/3.0, rear 2.6/2.8, but I think I want to keep bike 29 all the time - so most probably it will be 29 f 3.0 (hopefully I'll find some decent 2.8 tire, not to have a really tall tire front) and r 2.6, let's say.

if I'd have money to burn, would defo make both 29 & 27.5 setup, just for giggles...

any decent recommendations for aggro 29 2.8 tire?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thereís no helping you when you donít take the time to help yourself. You donít even own the bike yet, and itís only your second bike in how many years? Seriously, ask a question after you have done some homework.

To start: Go to the Fox website and look at the fork drawings, max tire size is listed. There are also threads started in regards to this topic.

I also own a Fox 36 29er fork, as well as having owned a number of forks that fit a 29 x 3Ē tire. Max tire size for a 29Ē fork is 2.6-2.8 depending on fork and tire, nearly all 29Ē forks will take most 2.6 tires.

... and yeah, I read your entire post as well as looked at your posting history.

actually no - but you'd need to read my whole post to realize that.
    thanx for not helping.
    Pivot Shuttle (wife's)

mtbr member
    I run a Bontrager SE4 29 3.0 on a Fox 36 Performance 160 mm boost (might be a 2017)...this is also on 31i E*thirteen carbon rims (not ideal) at 13 psi.

Not sure if 40i rims might give a tad more clearance for the crown.

it is really tight...almost no clearance...canít fit even a thin fender.

I donít recall trying a DHF...I might have.

You might be able to get away with it, if you donít ride any mud.

If I get another bike or ebike with a Fox fork...Iíd rather swap it for a Rockshox Lyrik/Yari or Suntour in order to run a 3.0.

I run 2.6 rear and 3.0 front (SE4ís) on two non-plus bikes...I havenít been running the DHF 3.0ís for awhile...SE4ís seem to roll a bit faster to me.

I still run DHF 2.5 wt on my S-Works...The Ohlins fork probably wonít fit much bigger.

Besides a couple of Yari 29 180 mm boost forks I got on clearance for about $450 each, I have a used Suntour Durolux 29 170 mm boost...3.0 has plenty of clearance.

I can take/post a picture of the front tire clearance on the Fox 36 with the SE4, if you want to see it.
    Ď19 LenzSport Lunchbox 29+
    Ď19 Trek Full Stache 8 29+
    Ď18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro
    '17 Specialized Enduro 29 S-Works

This place needs an enema
    29 x 3Ē is a really tall tire, normal 29er fork wonít fit, need a 29+ fork

The last few years, every Pike/Lyrik in 27.5+/29 config will easily fit 29 x 3" on rims up to 50mm wide.

My wife is running the former, I'm running the latter.

They can be run as low as 140mm and as high as 180mm.

mtbr member
    Thereís no helping you when you donít take the time to help yourself. You donít even own the bike yet, and itís only your second bike in how many years? Seriously, ask a question after you have done some homework.

To start: Go to the Fox website and look at the fork drawings, max tire size is listed. There are also threads started in regards to this topic.

I also own a Fox 36 29er fork, as well as having owned a number of forks that fit a 29 x 3Ē tire. Max tire size for a 29Ē fork is 2.6-2.8 depending on fork and tire, nearly all 29Ē forks will take most 2.6 tires.

... and yeah, I read your entire post as well as looked at your posting history.
    first - I literally mentioned four bikes, but no problem. I've done homework, but thank you.

posted here because I want to read about real life tries & mistakes people did, in regard to the topic I'm after.

I know about Fox forks tire size listing, but I've been riding long enough to know there is always space for customisation, with everything on the bike, hence (again) posted here because I want to read about real life tries & mistakes people did, in regard to the topic I'm after...

thanx for sharing about the forks you used that can take 3.0 tire. to be honest, I'd much more appreciate 2.8 tire, but Maxxis don't have that option in 29, at least for now. if it really comes to shove, I'd probably go with 2.6 than having next to zero clearance with 3.0.

from posters below your post, it seems that RockShox forks can take 3.0 tires. interesting...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    I run a Bontrager SE4 29 3.0 on a Fox 36 Performance 160 mm boost (might be a 2017)...this is also on 31i E*thirteen carbon rims (not ideal) at 13 psi.

Not sure if 40i rims might give a tad more clearance for the crown.

it is really tight...almost no clearance...canít fit even a thin fender.

I donít recall trying a DHF...I might have.

You might be able to get away with it, if you donít ride any mud.

If I get another bike or ebike with a Fox fork...Iíd rather swap it for a Rockshox Lyrik/Yari or Suntour in order to run a 3.0.

I run 2.6 rear and 3.0 front (SE4ís) on two non-plus bikes...I havenít been running the DHF 3.0ís for awhile...SE4ís seem to roll a bit faster to me.

I still run DHF 2.5 wt on my S-Works...The Ohlins fork probably wonít fit much bigger.

Besides a couple of Yari 29 180 mm boost forks I got on clearance for about $450 each, I have a used Suntour Durolux 29 170 mm boost...3.0 has plenty of clearance.

I can take/post a picture of the front tire clearance on the Fox 36 with the SE4, if you want to see it.
    interesting find on RS and Suntour forks.

have to say I'm defo a RockShox fanboy, but with Jeffsy Pro Race, you get top of the line Fox stuff, and I just want to give that a go. was actually thinking about selling both fork and shock and get top Lyrik and SuperDeLuxe coil, but that's just a lot of hassle.

thing is, I want to go above 2.5 in tire size, and would prefer 2.8 to 3.0, but Maxxis still doesn't have 29x2.8 tires, just 3.0.

to be perfectly frank, I'd rather go with 2.6wt, than get 3.0 and having always to think about the tire clearance.

also - how is that Ohlins fork been treating you. looks amazing, hope it rides the same.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    The last few years, every Pike/Lyrik in 27.5+/29 config will easily fit 29 x 3" on rims up to 50mm wide.

My wife is running the former, I'm running the latter.

They can be run as low as 140mm and as high as 180mm.
    thank you for chipping in with your real life experiences with 3.0 tires.
    good to know.

I think I'd go 35/37mm inner rim width max, to keep things more aggro-trail/enduro oriented...

mtbr member
    interesting find on RS and Suntour forks.

have to say I'm defo a RockShox fanboy, but with Jeffsy Pro Race, you get top of the line Fox stuff, and I just want to give that a go. was actually thinking about selling both fork and shock and get top Lyrik and SuperDeLuxe coil, but that's just a lot of hassle.

thing is, I want to go above 2.5 in tire size, and would prefer 2.8 to 3.0, but Maxxis still doesn't have 29x2.8 tires, just 3.0.

to be perfectly frank, I'd rather go with 2.6wt, than get 3.0 and having always to think about the tire clearance.

also - how is that Ohlins fork been treating you. looks amazing, hope it rides the same.
    The Ohlins had a recall...so I got the certificate for a free upgrade if I get it serviced this year (service is not free)...I really like it, I just canít put plus tires on it.

The Yariís I have are heavier than the Lyrikís, but you can run Lyrik dampers in them (or Avalanche, etc.)...I have one on my Lunchbox 29+ set at 170 mm with a Lyrik RCT3 damper in it...I will probably have someone put a Lyrik RC2 damper in the other one.
    Ď19 LenzSport Lunchbox 29+
    Ď19 Trek Full Stache 8 29+
    Ď18 Marin Wolf Ridge Pro
    '17 Specialized Enduro 29 S-Works

mtbr member
    to revive this thread with new idea.

what about using 29 Jeffsy as a 27.5+ bike?

has anyone done that?
    say 2.8 front, 2.6 (and if it fits, even 2.8) rear...

presume bb would be lower. what about HA and STA?

mtbr member
    On an Ď18 29 AL I run 3.0 NN / 2.8 NN on 35id 27.5 rims. BB height is reduced by the difference in weighted tire radius from your 29 tires and can be adjusted by flipping the chip to High. If both wheels are same radius I donít believe a change in HTA occurs without flipping the chip to High. Iíve contemplated trying a Slacker Puck like Niner and GG provide but donít think YT has given us enough steerer tube to do so. Though there is no audible rear tire rub from wheel flex, iíve just noticed the drive side tire sidewall is lightly scuffed and weeps from occasional rubs against the chain-stay guard.

mtbr member
    On an Ď18 29 AL I run 3.0 NN / 2.8 NN on 35id 27.5 rims.* BB height is reduced by the difference in weighted tire radius from your 29 tires and can be adjusted by flipping the chip to High.* If both wheels are same radius I donít believe a change in HTA occurs without flipping the chip to High.* Iíve contemplated trying a Slacker Puck like Niner and GG provide but donít think YT has given us enough steerer tube to do so.* Though there is no audible rear tire rub from wheel flex, iíve just noticed the drive side tire sidewall is lightly scuffed and weeps from occasional rubs against the chain-stay guard.
    so, 29 '18 Jeffsy rear can take 2.8/27.5+ tire? wow. didn't expect that, honestly...
    but with that slight drive side sidewall rub, wouldn't it be wiser to put 2.6 in the rear?
    maybe MK2 Jeffsy can take that 2.8?

reg geo - I guess just the BB would get lower, but figure not by much (5mm?), with HA and STA remaining the same, but wanted to ask somebody who has real life experience with this setup.

two questions:
    1. what's Slacker Puck?

2. what's the difference between riding 29 Jeffsy and 27.5+ setup?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ashas
    so, 29 '18 Jeffsy rear can take 2.8/27.5+ tire? wow. didn't expect that, honestly... but with that slight drive side sidewall rub, wouldn't it be wiser to put 2.6 in the rear? maybe MK2 Jeffsy can take that 2.8?

reg geo - I guess just the BB would get lower, but figure not by much (5mm?), with HA and STA remaining the same, but wanted to ask somebody who has real life experience with this setup.

two questions:
    1. what's Slacker Puck?

2. what's the difference between riding 29 Jeffsy and 27.5+ setup?
    A Slacker Puck is an external lower headset cup that adds 15mm to the bottom of the head tube.

A friend of mine with a Transition Scout who had never ridden a plus bike described the experience of riding Jeffsy 27.5+ as like a monster truck, soaking up the terrain, rolling over everything...I like them on the flow single track but put the 29s on for rocky technical track...

mtbr member
    A Slacker Puck is an external lower headset cup that adds 15mm to the bottom of the head tube.

A friend of mine with a Transition Scout who had never ridden a plus bike described the experience of riding Jeffsy 27.5+ as like a monster truck, soaking up the terrain, rolling over everything...I like them on the flow single track but put the 29s on for rocky technical track...
    will look up that Slacker Puck thingy, thanks.

so, 29 is better for rocks? would think that wider tires perform better on rocks. hm, ok... how about jumping?

mtbr member
    will look up that Slacker Puck thingy, thanks.

so, 29 is better for rocks? would think that wider tires perform better on rocks. hm, ok... how about jumping?
    I do like how the 29 front wheel handles the rock gardens but the more I think about it, my choice may partially be based on a false premise. I have run Mullet+ and became concerned when I noticed the rear tire weeping so thought the cause was too much side wall exposure in the rocks. I may revisit that... The plus tires handle the small jumps I do just fine and the lower pressure helps soak up the landing as well as provide great traction in technical climbs.

mtbr member
    I do like how the 29 front wheel handles the rock gardens but the more I think about it, my choice may partially be based on a false premise.* I have run Mullet+ and became concerned when I noticed the rear tire weeping so thought the cause was too much side wall exposure in the rocks. I may revisit that... The plus tires handle the small jumps I do just fine and the lower pressure helps soak up the landing as well as provide great traction in technical climbs.
    don't know if you read the whole thread, originally my idea was to put 29/3.0 front and 29/2.6 (2.8 if possible) in the rear.

some posters said 3.0 tire may be too high, and I might get rub on the 36 fork.

what do you think about that setup?

mtbr member
    don't know if you read the whole thread, originally my idea was to put 29/3.0 front and 29/2.6 (2.8 if possible) in the rear.

some posters said 3.0 tire may be too high, and I might get rub on the 36 fork.

what do you think about that setup?
    Iíve heard 29/2.6 works but Have not heard of anyone trying 29/3.0 so itís likely pushing the limit of the fork...

mtbr member
    I have a Jeffsy 27 ( 2017 XL ) and run 2,8" Nobby Nics both in front and rear for a while now.
    I have to say that I really like the feel of those plus tires.
    Made my Jeffsy much more fun to ride, way better at climbing.
    While I don't like the 29er version of the 2,4" or, 2,25 Nobby Nic. The 27,5 2,8" has been a blast.
    Feels so different from the 29er versions.

My last ride included some gnarly sharp rock trails that are actually only for hikers.
    Blasting over those rocks at high speed made me worried at first, but the Nobbys didn't fail me. ( I only use tubeless without those over expensive foam noodles )

Because of the good experiences I made with plus tires I decided to build up a winter enduro plus hardtail for snowy, muddy weather.

I live to bike
    I have a dhf 3.0 in my fox 36 fork. Very very close, but it does just fit. I like it. I love the wide tires. I don't find it slow or sluggish, really. I'll put some lighter weight, lower tread tires on for XC races, but for trail riding, I love it.
    Stop in at Element Sports. www.elementsport.com
    Get Out! Have Fun!