mtbr member
    Sep 2012

WTB Ranger 29er 3.0 (light casing) vs Bontrager XR2 3.0 tires?

Who has experience with both?

I have run off a couple of sets of the Ranger 3.0 (light casing) tires on my Stache single speed and am curious what people are experiencing with their Bontrager tires in comparison. I have really liked the WTB tires with one exception--mileage! They don't last very long.

What's your experience?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    $0.02, the Rangers corner (grip) better than XR2/Chupacabras. After my first ride, I was sold...not going down on my shoulders is worth having to replace my tires 2x as frequently.

mtbr member
    I prefer the Rangers. More consistent cornering and feels like the roll faster too.

This place needs an enema
    Rangers wear fast. Theyíre also pretty easy to cut. I donít find them particularly confidence inspiring when leaned.

They are certainly inexpensive.

I prefer the XR2. Even if it costs a bit more.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    My Ranger was impervious to sharp rocks, but often wept sealant from tissue-thin sidewalls. Good lateral traction except with loose-over-hard and mud. Not that hard to catch when it broke away. I think the XR2 is a better tire (with the caveat that I've only tried 2.35 and 2.6), but not worth $40 more a side.

I replaced mine with an XR4 2.6. I miss the float and reduced rolling resistance of the Ranger more than I'm appreciating the XR4's safety margin, so it's probably going back on soon.

mtbr member
    Iíve run the XR2 29x3.0, or Chupacabra as originally called, for a couple years. Recently was given a set of of Ranger 29x3.0 to try.

The biggest problem with the Ranger is the sidewall weeping. Second is the tall center profile, which makes transitioning into turns over loose, rocky stuff a little more challenging. Third is the sensitivity to air pressure. I cant run the rear at 11-12 psi due to rim strikes on the rear tire. Rear tire has to be around 14 to avoid rim strikes. Lastly, they do wear quickly.

The XR2 doesnít weep and has a lower center profile. This allows smoother transitions over rocky, loose stuff. I can run the rear at 11-12 psi without rim strikes as the sidewall is stiffer. They also last longer than the Ranger as well.

Both tires run on Baron MK3 rims tubeless on a rigid 29 SS.

Iím glad the Rangers were given to me use as they arenít worth my money.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azjonboy View Post
    Iíve run the XR2 29x3.0, or Chupacabra as originally called, for a couple years. Recently was given a set of of Ranger 29x3.0 to try.

The biggest problem with the Ranger is the sidewall weeping. Second is the tall center profile, which makes transitioning into turns over loose, rocky stuff a little more challenging. Third is the sensitivity to air pressure. I cant run the rear at 11-12 psi due to rim strikes on the rear tire. Rear tire has to be around 14 to avoid rim strikes. Lastly, they do wear quickly.

The XR2 doesnít weep and has a lower center profile. This allows smoother transitions over rocky, loose stuff. I can run the rear at 11-12 psi without rim strikes as the sidewall is stiffer. They also last longer than the Ranger as well.

Both tires run on Baron MK3 rims tubeless on a rigid 29 SS.

Iím glad the Rangers were given to me use as they arenít worth my money.
    I had no issues with the Ranger sidewalls until I lowered the air pressure to below what I normally run. After that ride cords in the sidewalls were showing. Prior to that ride, I had about 1000 miles with no issues other than wear.

Anyway, if you're having sidewall issues with the tires, it could be the pressures you are running. I believe the Rangers have a little less volume than the XR2 and the sidewalls might not be quite as stiff, so you can't expect to run the same pressure in both tires.