"Workswell" Chinese carbon frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

"Workswell" Chinese carbon frame?

What if any are reasons not to build a 27.5+ around THIS frame? All specs are listed, including geometry with all potential rims from 27.5+ to 29+.

I was leaning rigid but after reading review of the Norco Torrent I lean toward suspended fork.

There shall likely be several carbon HT 27.5+ this time next year, but currently the only known such bike is by Heller, whose largest size is 19" (L) and I need at least 20".
    jimbo

www.jamesromeyn.com High End Audio
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

Frame Building Moderator
    I'd just get a Stache (the bike they copied here), and a warranty. But that's just me.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I'd just get a Stache (the bike they copied here), and a warranty. But that's just me.

-Walt
    What's nice if they let you pick your bottom bracket standard on this one. No press fit no problem!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Looks like two different RCs, 27.5+ is 425mm and 29 is 440mm. Two frames or ?
    ICAN lists the same.
    The frame weighs 3lbs. Stache?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    ICAN lists the same.
    Looks to me like it has 2 different axle positions to change the chanstay length and allow use of 27+ or 29+ wheels. That does not address the BB height differences between wheel sizes though. Maybe if you get the PF30 BB option and then put an EBB insert in to adjust BB height.

The price is attractive, but I wouldn't trust it.

WNC Native

-Walt
    I agree with Walt here.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Frame Building Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    ICAN lists the same.
    Who cares what the Stache frame weighs? Even if it's a pound heavier, you weigh like 150+ pounds, right? Pick the same parts either way and you've changed your total vehicle weight by a fraction of a percent, which will make basically zero difference in how fast you go.

Buy a frame based on geometry, fit, compatibility with features you need. Not weight. You'll go faster and have more fun, unless your main goal is to stand around your garage and weigh your bike.

-Walt

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    heard from an owner that this one is not exactly stiff laterally
    might be important if you're a big guy

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Who cares what the Stache frame weighs? Even if it's a pound heavier, you weigh like 150+ pounds, right? Pick the same parts either way and you've changed your total vehicle weight by a fraction of a percent, which will make basically zero difference in how fast you go.

Buy a frame based on geometry, fit, compatibility with features you need. Not weight. You'll go faster and have more fun, unless your main goal is to stand around your garage and weigh your bike.

-Walt
    Yep. That's all we're interested in. Move along...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Once we have the weight of the Stache I can see if it matters to me. Everyone makes their own decision once the info is out there.
    That's just the way it is for adults.
    And for me too. I've been successful doing things with good info.
    Many 'numbers' go into a bike evaluation and the weight of the frame, tires, rims etc. all are part of the compromises that are made toward getting the performance I want. Geo matters and priority is given there over frame weight to a point for sure. Ride characteristics and compliance also have a high priority for me. But weight affects how the bike responds. If I lose 10 lbs. a lighter weight frame is going to still respond better than a heavier one.
    Everything makes a contribution. That's part of the fun for me.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by bruto View Post
    heard from an owner that this one is not exactly stiff laterally
    might be important if you're a big guy
    Because it's 2.4 pounds (1100g/454g/pound) not 3 pounds. I wouldn't even consider this frame exactly because it is too light.

And, BTW Walt, did you consult Craig Smith before advising people on here to consider Treks? :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The ICAN one is 1360g for a 27.5+ 19". ...3lbs.
    The Workswell version is lighter.
    27.5+ frame 2016 mountain bike - Shenzhen ICAN Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.

mtbr member
    I was very close to ordering a Workswell 29+ frame and building up my new bike with all good parts, however, now I'm leaning toward a Stache 7, the LBS has one at a really good price. I think either choice is good, there are advantages to the Workswell frame being carbon and having a choice of BB.

I'm also pretty sure Trek will have a carbon Stache frame coming out in a few months, too bad the cost will most likely be around $2k.

There is a 2 yr warranty on the Workswell frame, which admittedly can be difficult to exercise if you have a problem. In the few instances I have seen where owners have had a problem with their Chinese frame, it takes a bit of effort to get a replacement but in the end they were able to get the trading company to honor the warranty. However, the owner pays the shipping cost for the new frame. So I guess it's more a 2 year insurance policy where you have to submit a claim and pay an $80 deductible.
    Last edited by Epic_Dude; 04-21-2016 at 01:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have the workswell for a 29+ and it works...well...
    I wanted the Stache frame, but got this for literally $500 cheaper and I'm happy with it (and the BB30)

2 here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=985951

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2009
    A "little birdie" (very reliable one) today told me that circa June Trek releases new 27.5+ HT, likely alloy and carbon frame versions.

I thought I'd be fine riding my Fat Bike year round, but it's nothing like fun lugging this tank up grades.

It was interesting reading the plus threads...some posters in my situation, currently owning a FB and a 9er. One rider replaced his FB and 9er w/a 27.5+ and others consider the same thing. That's my plan since test riding a 27.5+ last week.
    jimbo

www.jamesromeyn.com High End Audio
    www.prime-vibe.com guitar & violin seasoning device

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    elevated chainstay again?
    try Apex :P or this boxy thing: CS-M24 3 years warranty 27.5+ plus hardtail mtb carbon frame/seatpost/clamp(except to Norway) - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd
    (although the downtube is disproportionally thin on that one)

mtbr member
    I like the Workswell frame as it accommodates 29+ wheels as well as 29 and 27.5+.

I was going to build up a Workswell 29+ but ended up just ordering a Stache 7.
    Last edited by Epic_Dude; 04-23-2016 at 05:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    That would've been both the easier and cheaper thing to do...but guess I learned a lot in the process...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by josephjosephson View Post
    That would've been both the easier and cheaper thing to do...but guess I learned a lot in the process...
    Yes, I read your posts, you did learn a lot. When building my -057 and -036 bikes, the builds went very smoothly. No surprises for me. Before I built my first bike, the -057, I did lots of research and had already talked with a friend who is a mechanic at a local bike shop, I learned a lot in the process as well but didn't run into any snags.

I didn't build my wheels, bought them already built up. However, having built a few bikes now, I didn't feel a huge need to build up the Stache, it would have cost more money and I wouldn't be out riding it so soon after deciding I wanted a 29+ bike. I will most likely do some upgrades but am not in any hurry, the components that come on the bike are good enough for now.

Also, I have everything I need to service and repair my bikes, so I will not be relying on the LBS for anything. My only concern is the PF bottom bracket on the Stache, would have been nice if it were threaded.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    for the record, there're PF BB designs that have the halves (cups) screw into each other
    makes them sit tighter in the shell, claimed to eliminate creaking and unnecessary wear in general

mtbr member
    for the record, there're PF BB designs that have the halves (cups) screw into each other
    makes them sit tighter in the shell, claimed to eliminate creaking and unnecessary wear in general
    if you have a link you could post that would be helpful, I would like to know if it would be compatible with a Stache frame and crankset.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Epic_Dude, here goes:
    https://www.praxiscycles.com/conversion-bb/ - PF30 to 24mm
    http://www.driveline.com.tw/upload/catalog.pdf - in the beginning, BB86/92, BB30/PF30 to 24mm, these are actually cheap if you put together a decent ($100+) order because they're in Taiwan and are not really a retail shop, but do deal with individual customers
    Wheels Manufacturing PF30 Bottom Brackets - PF30 to 30mm, basically your typical PF30 BB but with threads

there're probably more if you look around for them

and Stache has PF92 BB shell, so, out of the options listed above, only Driveline will fit. And they don't make a GXP version (stepped spindle) yet, so if you have a SRAM crankset, you'll have to switch it out for Shimano/FSA/any other 24mm spindled crank

P.S.: By cheap, I mean $20 cheap:
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?...Ek&usp=sharing
    and they come with installation tools

P.P.S.: this will also fit your Stache: Press-Fit PF41 Bottom Bracket | Hope Tech | Made in Barnoldswick, England
    if you're ok with paying 5x the price of Driveline, that is
    Dunno what bearings Hope uses, but DL puts Takino in their BBs
    Last edited by bruto; 04-25-2016 at 08:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Thanks Bruto, I would need BB92 for the Stache and would want to stick with SRAM GXP cranks (GX or upgrade to XO1) so maybe only the Hope Tech fits the bill even though it's a pricier option.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    much pricier, just the fitting tool costs as much as 2 DL BBs
    it won't ride 5x better, or even 1.5x, and it requires disassembly in order to be installed (check the instructions, haha)

if you want the threaded PF BB, maybe it's not worth sticking with GXP crank - there're other 24mm options with removable spiders, you know (and DM chainrings, if that's what you're after)

Cactus Cuddler
    -Walt
    The only reason I'm here is because I want a Carbon Stache, ideally in a 460-480mm reach variant (I'm already on a 22" framed HT). I realize carbon fibre isn't buying my fat arse a ton of performance, but when I throw some 2.1 Aspen's and light wheels on it I want it to be quick and snappy on buff trails, and I also want the ability to toss 29x2.8 tires on it and treat it like an all mountain hardtail - which is functionally contraindicated by it being a cheap, Chinese, lightweight frame.

If ICAN, Workswell, or whatever mis-translated AliBaba shop decides to make one, I'll probably take the chance on that frame just because it can do everything I want out of a big-wheeled bicycle except 'have 6" of suspension travel'.

mtbr member
    much pricier, just the fitting tool costs as much as 2 DL BBs
    it won't ride 5x better, or even 1.5x, and it requires disassembly in order to be installed (check the instructions, haha)

if you want the threaded PF BB, maybe it's not worth sticking with GXP crank - there're other 24mm options with removable spiders, you know (and DM chainrings, if that's what you're after)
    I think I will run the GX crank on the Stache for a while, then decide if it's worth upgrading, maybe the

For the cost of the BB & tool, I could just about buy a Workswell carbon frame with a BSA bottom bracket, buy a new BB kit, move all the parts over, and lose a few pounds in the process. I could even sell the Trek Stache frame and probably come out ahead .

mtbr member
    18.5" frame with threaded BB weighs 1325g.
    Bike as pictured weighs 21.8 pounds.
    This is my second Workswell frame and I've been very happy with both.

"Workswell" Chinese carbon frame?-img_0232.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    WW won't ride better than the Stache either Choosing one over the other makes sense when you have neither and looking to save, but you already have the Stache and it's not exactly a hot selling frame that you can move at little loss.
    Ride what you have and enjoy it. Upgrade where it would matter (slightly lighter cranks won't), like maybe noticeably lighter wheels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    WW will ride about a lb lighter (all things equal if you happened to build them up identically), with maybe some more compliance, with different BB options....but yes, if you have a Stache already, I wouldn't look to replace the frame with a carbon one any time soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by josephjosephson View Post
    WW will ride about a lb lighter (all things equal if you happened to build them up identically), with maybe some more compliance, with different BB options....but yes, if you have a Stache already, I wouldn't look to replace the frame with a carbon one any time soon.

I agree, 1-2 lbs is what you would typically save by going from an aluminum frame to a carbon frame. I think there are better, cheaper, areas to save weight, like the wheels and the crank. Not to mention, loosing rotating weight is better than losing weight out of the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ro7939 View Post
    What if any are reasons not to build a 27.5+ around THIS frame? All specs are listed, including geometry with all potential rims from 27.5+ to 29+.

I was leaning rigid but after reading review of the Norco Torrent I lean toward suspended fork.

There shall likely be several carbon HT 27.5+ this time next year, but currently the only known such bike is by Heller, whose largest size is 19" (L) and I need at least 20".
    So what have you decided to do? If this frame meets all your criteria and is in your price range I can't think of any reason not to go with it. I have been very happy with mine so far built up as a 29+

The head tube is 1 steeper and the chain stays are slightly longer than the Trek Stache. Those numbers alone can translate into a slightly different ride. It all depends on what you are after.

mtbr member
    BXCc, do you use their rims also? Reason I am wondering is that I have some 36h CK hubs I want to use and the only i35 rims in a 36h I can find are Chinese carbon and Workswell has the best price plus shipping.
    A bike by any other name is still a bike.

mtbr member
    I haven't used their rims. Just frames and one handlebar that's on my daughters bike. The rims on this one are from Peter at XMCarbonspeed.com. His pricing was better than the rest for the same rims. I have the 50mm / 43mm rims with the reinforced spoke holes. In case anyone is curious, they are built to Hope Pro4 Boost hubs with DT Aerolite spokes and brass nipples. Weight was 1850g for the pair.

He does have these available in 36h.
    HR940C 29er mtb hookless carbon rim 40mm wide - Xiamen Carbon Speed Sport Goods Co.,Ltd

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Epic_Dude View Post
    Thanks Bruto, I would need BB92 for the Stache and would want to stick with SRAM GXP cranks (GX or upgrade to XO1) so maybe only the Hope Tech fits the bill even though it's a pricier option.
    Wheels Mfg. also makes a GXP version of their PF92 that threads together to help eliminate creaks.Easy install too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    up there with Hope, price-wise
    Wheels Mfg charges a little bit too much for its cups I think