Waltworks Ultimate Warrior - Page 9- Mtbr.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 1,601 to 1,658 of 1658
  1. #1601
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Clearance.

    Thatís been the name of the game since trying out the Lyric and finding out how much space there was between the tyre and the fork so when Rockshox launched the new Pike Ultimate (having just typed that Iíve just realised how apt the name is!!) Iíve been all over them like white on rice! My new fork turned up today!...

    Although UW2 was designed around the 34SC, there is very little difference A-C and certainly not enough to worry about.

    Iíve had a quick spin and the fork feels very nice, a lot different damping to the Lyric, nowhere near as divey but still very supple and lots of small bump sensitivity. Looking forward to a longer ride on Sunday.










  2. #1602
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,078
    Doesn't hurt that the Pike is also silver to match the bike right You need to build back your orange hub wheels with some silver rims
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  3. #1603
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Doesn't hurt that the Pike is also silver to match the bike right You need to build back your orange hub wheels with some silver rims
    Ha ha yes maybe I do, wheels are definitely next!...

  4. #1604
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    82
    That looks so good with the Pike one there!

  5. #1605
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by erik$ View Post
    That looks so good with the Pike one there!
    Thanks! Glad you like it!!

  6. #1606
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LyNx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    24,078
    Hey, yeah, sorry, always forget to state something that's obvious to me, pike looks stellar on there, matches real well with the frame it looks like, hence why the silver rim rec

    Quote Originally Posted by erik$ View Post
    That looks so good with the Pike one there!
    So, what rims are you going to go for, will you stick to the same ones you have now that were so highly recommended to you? BTW, how are they going, held up OK with the little bit of riding you've managed to do with the new business and all going on? Sun Ringle Duroc's right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Ha ha yes maybe I do, wheels are definitely next!...
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

  7. #1607
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hey, yeah, sorry, always forget to state something that's obvious to me, pike looks stellar on there, matches real well with the frame it looks like, hence why the silver rim rec



    So, what rims are you going to go for, will you stick to the same ones you have now that were so highly recommended to you? BTW, how are they going, held up OK with the little bit of riding you've managed to do with the new business and all going on? Sun Ringle Duroc's right?
    Well, funny you should ask LyNx but the Durocs have got to be the worst rims Iíve owned since I ran Stans Crests (not good for clydes!)! They came out of true very quickly and theyíve also dinged up pretty badly and far too easily too. I wouldnít buy again.

    Iíll be buying some Raceface ARC40 Offset rims and using DT Comp spokes and nipples. Hubs to be decided but I might go Hope again...

    Iím getting my Sundays back so as of next week, Iíll be trying to get more miles in again!!

    Ha ha thanks, I thought youíd like the fork, Iím really happy and having rode a tiny bit more today the thing feels so supple out of the box!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  8. #1608
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657


    Still here. Still awesome.

  9. #1609
    Mtn Biker Machinist
    Reputation: 1 cog frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post


    Still here. Still awesome.
    Your last post mentioned you werenít crazy about the Durocs, & wanted to build a wheel set with the Raceface ARC 40ís. Have you changed your mind about the Durocs, or just decided to run them until they break before building something new?

    I just ordered a Duroc 50 to replace the Mulefut 50 that has a bad vertical hop, & I keep breaking spokes on. Hope I didnít make a bad choice, but it was the only 45mm internal rim I could find. Didnít even think about the ARC 45.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #1610
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Your last post mentioned you werenít crazy about the Durocs, & wanted to build a wheel set with the Raceface ARC 40ís. Have you changed your mind about the Durocs, or just decided to run them until they break before building something new?

    I just ordered a Duroc 50 to replace the Mulefut 50 that has a bad vertical hop, & I keep breaking spokes on. Hope I didnít make a bad choice, but it was the only 45mm internal rim I could find. Didnít even think about the ARC 45.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iím waiting on the UK Raceface importer to get the Arc 40ís in stock but it has been months so I might have to think again. Also need to decide on some hubs. I wanted the new Onxy Vesper hub but they seem to be dragging their heals with the Superboost versions...

  11. #1611
    mtbrer
    Reputation: reamer41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post


    Still here. Still awesome.
    Looks a little lonely since the Ripley has shown up.
    --Reamer

  12. #1612
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Looks a little lonely since the Ripley has shown up.
    Ha ha well maybe a little bit more than previously!


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

  13. #1613
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Ha ha well maybe a little bit more than previously!
    Riding all those fine bikes is basically a full time job!
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  14. #1614
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Riding all those fine bikes is basically a full time job!
    Ha ha I wish! I only have the 2 Waltworks and the Ibis now. Payton is still rigid and SS and never gets out so I need to put some gears on her. I rarely get any time to ride at the moment. Need to change that!

  15. #1615
    mtbr member
    Reputation: CCSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Payton is still rigid and SS and never gets out so I need to put some gears on her.
    Wait a second, J... Then youíd just have three MTBs with gears and no more rigid single speed. That sounds like a big step backwards

  16. #1616
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Ha ha I wish! I only have the 2 Waltworks and the Ibis now. Payton is still rigid and SS and never gets out so I need to put some gears on her. I rarely get any time to ride at the moment. Need to change that!
    Pfft! I build a SS and you undo a SS... Go figure!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  17. #1617
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,783
    [QUOTE=CCSS;14311111]Wait a second, J... Then youíd just have three MTBs with gears and no more rigid single speed. That sounds like a big step backwards [/QUOTE

    I'm with CCSS on this one.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  18. #1618
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Ha ha it just feels like a waste of a good bike to me!

  19. #1619
    PCT
    PCT is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    190
    Following up on this, as I am planning a similar 29+ build.

    Approximately what kind of top/side clearance does that XR4 have?

    Is that an RC2 damper and how firm is the lockout?

  20. #1620
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by PCT View Post
    Following up on this, as I am planning a similar 29+ build.

    Approximately what kind of top/side clearance does that XR4 have?

    Is that an RC2 damper and how firm is the lockout?
    The clearance is significantly better than the 34SC although I am currently running the 34 again because my Ripley needed the Pike.



    I donít use the lockout but itís fairly firm but not locked out by any means.

  21. #1621
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Last weekís Annual Christmas Bacon Ride!

    The Waltworks has been faultless, still my very favourite bike too.

    Now that Chris King have launched their new hubs Iíll probably get a new wheel build started this year...







  22. #1622
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,206
    Good to hear from you again J and nice to see that awesome bicycle all dirty.

    Success & happiness to you & yours in 2020.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  23. #1623
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Good to hear from you again J and nice to see that awesome bicycle all dirty.

    Success & happiness to you & yours in 2020.
    =sParty
    Thank you sParty and to you I hope the New Year brings you and yours all that you wish for, including lots of bike rides in cool places with even cooler people!

  24. #1624
    Out spokin'
    Reputation: Sparticus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1999
    Posts
    10,206
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Thank you sParty and to you I hope the New Year brings you and yours all that you wish for, including lots of bike rides in cool places with even cooler people!
    Not to steal thunder from your thread J, but hopefully I'll take possession of a new ti 29+ frame within the next couple of weeks. Your amazing bike projects have provided great inspiration in this regard.

    As for cool places and even cooler people, it'd be awesome to visit your digs (cool place) and meet you (cooler person). If I had all the money in the world, I'd arrange such a trip right now but alas: time, energy, money -- pick two. Happy to say I'm doing well on the first two but just okay on the third at the moment (con$idering the new machine $oon to come my way).

    Then again, you could consider arranging to take a mountain biking vacation out thisaway -- the upper left coast, with its legendary singletracks -- just sayin'.

    Meanwhile, have lots o' fun and please keep your inspiring ride reports coming.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

    We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

  25. #1625
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Ha ha I wish! I only have the 2 Waltworks and the Ibis now. Payton is still rigid and SS and never gets out so I need to put some gears on her. I rarely get any time to ride at the moment. Need to change that!
    Gears and the Hodags and rigid! Maybe?

    Awesome thread! Thanks for making it and keeping it alive and interesting.


  26. #1626
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Not to steal thunder from your thread J, but hopefully I'll take possession of a new ti 29+ frame within the next couple of weeks. Your amazing bike projects have provided great inspiration in this regard.

    As for cool places and even cooler people, it'd be awesome to visit your digs (cool place) and meet you (cooler person). If I had all the money in the world, I'd arrange such a trip right now but alas: time, energy, money -- pick two. Happy to say I'm doing well on the first two but just okay on the third at the moment (con$idering the new machine $oon to come my way).

    Then again, you could consider arranging to take a mountain biking vacation out thisaway -- the upper left coast, with its legendary singletracks -- just sayin'.

    Meanwhile, have lots o' fun and please keep your inspiring ride reports coming.
    =sParty
    Oh I would love to! The plan is to start winding down and enjoying life a little more, so letís hold that thought!...

  27. #1627
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    Gears and the Hodags and rigid! Maybe?

    Awesome thread! Thanks for making it and keeping it alive and interesting.

    Thank you!

    Iíll be putting some XT on this beast soon, I might keep it rigid or I might buy my old forks back from Mikeetheviking and get back on it!

  28. #1628
    Thingamejigger
    Reputation: Flying_Scotsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post

    Are the Wainstones just over that there hill??

    XR2/4 combo!

  29. #1629
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Are the Wainstones just over that there hill??

    XR2/4 combo!
    They certainly are, good eye!

    Yeah the XR2/XR4 combo is amazing, especially in 3Ē mode. Pretty good in 2.6 too on the Ripley!

  30. #1630
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    193
    I've read much of this thread but not all, so I might have missed it...

    You were running 3.8" Hodags for awhile. Any clearance issues? And this is with a 148mm rear and 73mm BB with ring in the the normal boost position of ~52mm offset?

    Thank you!

  31. #1631
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    I've read much of this thread but not all, so I might have missed it...

    You were running 3.8" Hodags for awhile. Any clearance issues? And this is with a 148mm rear and 73mm BB with ring in the the normal boost position of ~52mm offset?

    Thank you!
    No the ring isnít in the normal boost position, the ring is flipped. But yes to everything else, the only issue I had was the different chainline once I moved over to 12 speed. The chain would rub on the tyre in the big ring.

  32. #1632
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Redlands R&C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    880
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    No the ring isnít in the normal boost position, the ring is flipped. But yes to everything else, the only issue I had was the different chainline once I moved over to 12 speed. The chain would rub on the tyre in the big ring.
    With Payton, if I'm not mistaken as I also started re-reading this thread, wasn't the 148mm rear end offset 6mm so that you would have dishless wheels? Similar to Cannondale and their Ai offset system and other companies that are doing it.
    Silly bike things happening.

  33. #1633
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlands R&C View Post
    With Payton, if I'm not mistaken as I also started re-reading this thread, wasn't the 148mm rear end offset 6mm so that you would have dishless wheels? Similar to Cannondale and their Ai offset system and other companies that are doing it.
    Yes thatís correct.

  34. #1634
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    No the ring isnít in the normal boost position, the ring is flipped. But yes to everything else, the only issue I had was the different chainline once I moved over to 12 speed. The chain would rub on the tyre in the big ring.
    Thanks for the info! Ok, I think I understand now. Your ring is in the position it would be for a 157 symmetrical rear, but instead of using a 157 hub you are using a 148 with dropouts spaced 6mm to the right of the CL... ?

    Did you change the chainring offset when you went to 12spd? From what I gather the Shimano 11 and 12spd cassettes are the same width, with Sram being only 1mm wider. So it doesn't seem like that alone should change your chain/tire clearance.

  35. #1635
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    Thanks for the info! Ok, I think I understand now. Your ring is in the position it would be for a 157 symmetrical rear, but instead of using a 157 hub you are using a 148 with dropouts spaced 6mm to the right of the CL... ?

    Did you change the chainring offset when you went to 12spd? From what I gather the Shimano 11 and 12spd cassettes are the same width, with Sram being only 1mm wider. So it doesn't seem like that alone should change your chain/tire clearance.
    Iím sorry, I canít quite remember all of the details because itís been so long since I experimented with the wheel sizes etc. The info is somewhere within this thread though. I didnít change the chainring offset though, I know that much.

  36. #1636
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    193
    So many gold nuggets in this thread! I've done a bit of searching and found this is post #850 from 3-18-2018:

    "The Hodag setup didn't want to play with a One-Up chainring (which I destroyed a few updates back!). The chain was making contact with the tyre and I mistakingly made the assumption that it was the update to Eagle that was the culprit so I sold the Arc 45 wheels as a result. It was only once I changed the chainring back to the Absolute Black that I realised that was the issue."

    Sounds like it was ring offset that caused the interference?

  37. #1637
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    So many gold nuggets in this thread! I've done a bit of searching and found this is post #850 from 3-18-2018:

    "The Hodag setup didn't want to play with a One-Up chainring (which I destroyed a few updates back!). The chain was making contact with the tyre and I mistakingly made the assumption that it was the update to Eagle that was the culprit so I sold the Arc 45 wheels as a result. It was only once I changed the chainring back to the Absolute Black that I realised that was the issue."

    Sounds like it was ring offset that caused the interference?
    Yes, sorry as I say itís hard remembering exactly what I did! Even I confuse myself! Lol.

  38. #1638
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657


    Back in the lab...

  39. #1639
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post


    Back in the lab...
    Finally going rigid and SS. Proud of ya!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  40. #1640
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Finally going rigid and SS. Proud of ya!
    Ha ha oh you know why itís in the lab and itís quite the opposite!

  41. #1641
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657



  42. #1642
    Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,093
    Nice !!!

  43. #1643
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Obviously, Nitrousjunky was wrong... It's chainless!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  44. #1644
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Obviously, Nitrousjunky was wrong... It's chainless!
    Lol for less drag obviously, no brakes either, this thingís gonna fly again!

  45. #1645
    Rippin da fAt
    Reputation: BansheeRune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    6,107
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Lol for less drag obviously, no brakes either, this thingís gonna fly again!
    If Danny Mac can ride brakeless...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

  46. #1646
    Thingamejigger
    Reputation: Flying_Scotsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    They certainly are, good eye!

    Yeah the XR2/XR4 combo is amazing, especially in 3Ē mode. Pretty good in 2.6 too on the Ripley!
    Just ordered an XR4 to stick on my bike. Keen to see how it measures up compared to the chuppa's. I had high speed front wheel wash out on my fatbike last time I was out (fortunately on soft sodden grass) so it's spurred me into action for a gripper front on the plusser to avoid it happening in the future!

  47. #1647
    Mtn Biker Machinist
    Reputation: 1 cog frog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Just ordered an XR4 to stick on my bike. Keen to see how it measures up compared to the chuppa's. I had high speed front wheel wash out on my fatbike last time I was out (fortunately on soft sodden grass) so it's spurred me into action for a gripper front on the plusser to avoid it happening in the future!
    Iím still intrigued with this combo. I guess by your username that your riding conditions are similar to Just J?

    My Chupas seemed to lack grip in the dry rocky Utah Trails, and seemed a bit more fragile (also lighter). Iím running XR4 front and rear in the west USA.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  48. #1648
    Thingamejigger
    Reputation: Flying_Scotsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,142
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Iím still intrigued with this combo. I guess by your username that your riding conditions are similar to Just J?

    My Chupas seemed to lack grip in the dry rocky Utah Trails, and seemed a bit more fragile (also lighter). Iím running XR4 front and rear in the west USA.
    Yeah, we are pretty close, ironically Just J is further north that I. J is riding a bit more mud than me I expect. It's mostly hard pack stuff I do, so want to keep the low rolling resistance of the chupa, but as its now decidedly soggy, and I am going up north to Scotland to do a few rides where mud will come into play, I want faith in the front end.

    Just an experiment as I got the XR4 on sale, we can see how I get on; come summer I expect to swap back to chupa front and rear.

  49. #1649
    Thingamejigger
    Reputation: Flying_Scotsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post

    ...Pretty good in 2.6 too...
    Out of interest anyone know what the height difference between the 2.6 and the 3.0?? in the XR4 or chupa

  50. #1650
    WNC Native
    Reputation: nitrousjunky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    3,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Out of interest anyone know what the height difference between the 2.6 and the 3.0?? in the XR4 or chupa
    If I remember correctly, the 2.6 XR4 is around 29.75" and the 3.0 XR4 is 30.25".
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

  51. #1651
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Day 1 Self Isolation.

    Just thought Iíd check in, hope youíre all fairing well Iím all of this crazy?

    I rode the UW2 to work this morning, closed the place down and promptly rode back home.

    I put a little more air in the tyres today because Iím out of practice and forgot what I usually run. Ended up with the tyre rubbing on the fork arch.

    Iíve been playing with the idea of using UW1ís front wheel for a while, so I swapped it out this afternoon. The results are a lighter, lower drag setup as I kept the Chupacabra on there.

    Looking forward to trying it out over the next few days...



    Take care guys!

  52. #1652
    mtbrer
    Reputation: reamer41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Beautiful bike J, glad youíre digging it!

    Hereís a question: how did you arrive at the steeper seat angle and longer/slacker front end? Did you demo bikes with similar geometry?

    I know the long/slack front ends with steep seat angles is the new norm, but Iíve never tried one of those bikes. How does that steep seat tube feel when pedaling on flat terrain?

    My olí 29+ Carver Gnarvester (and my SC Tallboy LT) has old school geometry and I wouldnít know any different.
    I was digging thru the history of this thread trying to find the geo of you UW2 frame and I came across this ol post of mine.
    Iím now riding an Alchemy Arktos 29ST. 66.1 HTA and 75.5 STA with longish reach -485mm in XL.

    I can, indeed, appreciate the new school geometry.
    (Still havenít found your frameís specs.)
    --Reamer

  53. #1653
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    I was digging thru the history of this thread trying to find the geo of you UW2 frame and I came across this ol post of mine.
    Iím now riding an Alchemy Arktos 29ST. 66.1 HTA and 75.5 STA with longish reach -485mm in XL.

    I can, indeed, appreciate the new school geometry.
    (Still havenít found your frameís specs.)
    Nice bike!

    Hereís a recap of UW1 vs UW2 which Iíve never done before, itís amazing what happens when youíve got all the time in the world on your hands!...


  54. #1654
    mtbrer
    Reputation: reamer41's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Nice bike!

    Hereís a recap of UW1 vs UW2 which Iíve never done before, itís amazing what happens when youíve got all the time in the world on your hands!...

    Excellent!
    Thanks for posting those drawings! Sweet machines!
    --Reamer

  55. #1655
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    The clearance is significantly better than the 34SC although I am currently running the 34 again because my Ripley needed the Pike.



    I donít use the lockout but itís fairly firm but not locked out by any means.
    Can you remind me what size tire that is? I'm looking for a 29 x 3.0" fork and I like the Pike.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  56. #1656
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Can you remind me what size tire that is? I'm looking for a 29 x 3.0" fork and I like the Pike.
    Thatís a 29x3.0 Bontrager XR4 and the Pike swallows it with loads of room the spare

  57. #1657
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    13,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Thatís a 29x3.0 Bontrager XR4 and the Pike swallows it with loads of room the spare
    Awesome. I thought that was what it was, but figured best to ask. Stay safe!

    BTW - I am going to post that photo in my HT thread if you don't mind to demonstrate the 29+ clearance of the Pike.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  58. #1658
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Just J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6,657
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Awesome. I thought that was what it was, but figured best to ask. Stay safe!

    BTW - I am going to post that photo in my HT thread if you don't mind to demonstrate the 29+ clearance of the Pike.
    No problem at all thanks Vik!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Similar Threads

  1. New Waltworks!
    By sirsam84 in forum Fat bikes
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-06-2016, 06:43 AM
  2. New Waltworks!
    By bikeny in forum Bikepacking and Bike Expedition
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-03-2015, 02:45 PM
  3. Let's see those Waltworks !!!!!
    By littlemd in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-08-2015, 02:22 AM
  4. My New Waltworks!
    By Flat Ark in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 11-27-2014, 12:46 PM
  5. Waltworks on the way!
    By thickfog in forum Custom Builders & Other Manufacturers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2014, 09:15 PM

Members who have read this thread: 197

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.