Waltworks Ultimate Warrior - Page 9- Mtbr.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 1,601 to 1,658 of 1658
    mtbr member
    Clearance.

Thatís been the name of the game since trying out the Lyric and finding out how much space there was between the tyre and the fork so when Rockshox launched the new Pike Ultimate (having just typed that Iíve just realised how apt the name is!!) Iíve been all over them like white on rice! My new fork turned up today!...

Although UW2 was designed around the 34SC, there is very little difference A-C and certainly not enough to worry about.

Iíve had a quick spin and the fork feels very nice, a lot different damping to the Lyric, nowhere near as divey but still very supple and lots of small bump sensitivity. Looking forward to a longer ride on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Doesn't hurt that the Pike is also silver to match the bike right You need to build back your orange hub wheels with some silver rims
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Doesn't hurt that the Pike is also silver to match the bike right You need to build back your orange hub wheels with some silver rims
    Ha ha yes maybe I do, wheels are definitely next!...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That looks so good with the Pike one there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erik$ View Post
    Thanks! Glad you like it!!

mtbr member
    Hey, yeah, sorry, always forget to state something that's obvious to me, pike looks stellar on there, matches real well with the frame it looks like, hence why the silver rim rec

Quote Originally Posted by erik$ View Post
    So, what rims are you going to go for, will you stick to the same ones you have now that were so highly recommended to you? BTW, how are they going, held up OK with the little bit of riding you've managed to do with the new business and all going on? Sun Ringle Duroc's right?

Quote Originally Posted by Just J View Post
    Ha ha yes maybe I do, wheels are definitely next!...
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hey, yeah, sorry, always forget to state something that's obvious to me, pike looks stellar on there, matches real well with the frame it looks like, hence why the silver rim rec

So, what rims are you going to go for, will you stick to the same ones you have now that were so highly recommended to you? BTW, how are they going, held up OK with the little bit of riding you've managed to do with the new business and all going on? Sun Ringle Duroc's right?
    Well, funny you should ask LyNx but the Durocs have got to be the worst rims Iíve owned since I ran Stans Crests (not good for clydes!)! They came out of true very quickly and theyíve also dinged up pretty badly and far too easily too. I wouldnít buy again.

Iíll be buying some Raceface ARC40 Offset rims and using DT Comp spokes and nipples. Hubs to be decided but I might go Hope again...

Iím getting my Sundays back so as of next week, Iíll be trying to get more miles in again!!

Ha ha thanks, I thought youíd like the fork, Iím really happy and having rode a tiny bit more today the thing feels so supple out of the box!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member

Still here. Still awesome.

Mtn Biker Machinist

Your last post mentioned you werenít crazy about the Durocs, & wanted to build a wheel set with the Raceface ARC 40ís. Have you changed your mind about the Durocs, or just decided to run them until they break before building something new?

I just ordered a Duroc 50 to replace the Mulefut 50 that has a bad vertical hop, & I keep breaking spokes on. Hope I didnít make a bad choice, but it was the only 45mm internal rim I could find. Didnít even think about the ARC 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Your last post mentioned you werenít crazy about the Durocs, & wanted to build a wheel set with the Raceface ARC 40ís. Have you changed your mind about the Durocs, or just decided to run them until they break before building something new?

I just ordered a Duroc 50 to replace the Mulefut 50 that has a bad vertical hop, & I keep breaking spokes on. Hope I didnít make a bad choice, but it was the only 45mm internal rim I could find. Didnít even think about the ARC 45.

Iím waiting on the UK Raceface importer to get the Arc 40ís in stock but it has been months so I might have to think again. Also need to decide on some hubs. I wanted the new Onxy Vesper hub but they seem to be dragging their heals with the Superboost versions...

mtbrer

Looks a little lonely since the Ripley has shown up.
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reamer41 View Post
    Looks a little lonely since the Ripley has shown up.
    Ha ha well maybe a little bit more than previously!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Ha ha well maybe a little bit more than previously!
    Riding all those fine bikes is basically a full time job!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Riding all those fine bikes is basically a full time job!
    Ha ha I wish! I only have the 2 Waltworks and the Ibis now. Payton is still rigid and SS and never gets out so I need to put some gears on her. I rarely get any time to ride at the moment. Need to change that!

mtbr member
    Payton is still rigid and SS and never gets out so I need to put some gears on her.
    Wait a second, J... Then youíd just have three MTBs with gears and no more rigid single speed. That sounds like a big step backwards

Rippin da fAt
    Ha ha I wish! I only have the 2 Waltworks and the Ibis now. Payton is still rigid and SS and never gets out so I need to put some gears on her. I rarely get any time to ride at the moment. Need to change that!
    Pfft! I build a SS and you undo a SS... Go figure!
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

WNC Native
    [QUOTE=CCSS;14311111]Wait a second, J... Then youíd just have three MTBs with gears and no more rigid single speed. That sounds like a big step backwards [/QUOTE

I'm with CCSS on this one.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Ha ha it just feels like a waste of a good bike to me!

PCT
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Following up on this, as I am planning a similar 29+ build.

Approximately what kind of top/side clearance does that XR4 have?

Is that an RC2 damper and how firm is the lockout?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PCT View Post
    Following up on this, as I am planning a similar 29+ build.

Approximately what kind of top/side clearance does that XR4 have?

Is that an RC2 damper and how firm is the lockout?
    The clearance is significantly better than the 34SC although I am currently running the 34 again because my Ripley needed the Pike.

I donít use the lockout but itís fairly firm but not locked out by any means.

mtbr member
    Last weekís Annual Christmas Bacon Ride!

The Waltworks has been faultless, still my very favourite bike too.

Now that Chris King have launched their new hubs Iíll probably get a new wheel build started this year...

Out spokin'
    Good to hear from you again J and nice to see that awesome bicycle all dirty.

Success & happiness to you & yours in 2020.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Good to hear from you again J and nice to see that awesome bicycle all dirty.

Success & happiness to you & yours in 2020.
    =sParty
    Thank you sParty and to you I hope the New Year brings you and yours all that you wish for, including lots of bike rides in cool places with even cooler people!

Out spokin'
    Thank you sParty and to you I hope the New Year brings you and yours all that you wish for, including lots of bike rides in cool places with even cooler people!
    Not to steal thunder from your thread J, but hopefully I'll take possession of a new ti 29+ frame within the next couple of weeks. Your amazing bike projects have provided great inspiration in this regard.

As for cool places and even cooler people, it'd be awesome to visit your digs (cool place) and meet you (cooler person). If I had all the money in the world, I'd arrange such a trip right now but alas: time, energy, money -- pick two. Happy to say I'm doing well on the first two but just okay on the third at the moment (con$idering the new machine $oon to come my way).

Then again, you could consider arranging to take a mountain biking vacation out thisaway -- the upper left coast, with its legendary singletracks -- just sayin'.

Meanwhile, have lots o' fun and please keep your inspiring ride reports coming.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Gears and the Hodags and rigid! Maybe?

Awesome thread! Thanks for making it and keeping it alive and interesting.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    Not to steal thunder from your thread J, but hopefully I'll take possession of a new ti 29+ frame within the next couple of weeks. Your amazing bike projects have provided great inspiration in this regard.

As for cool places and even cooler people, it'd be awesome to visit your digs (cool place) and meet you (cooler person). If I had all the money in the world, I'd arrange such a trip right now but alas: time, energy, money -- pick two. Happy to say I'm doing well on the first two but just okay on the third at the moment (con$idering the new machine $oon to come my way).

Then again, you could consider arranging to take a mountain biking vacation out thisaway -- the upper left coast, with its legendary singletracks -- just sayin'.

Meanwhile, have lots o' fun and please keep your inspiring ride reports coming.
    =sParty
    Oh I would love to! The plan is to start winding down and enjoying life a little more, so letís hold that thought!...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rruff View Post
    Gears and the Hodags and rigid! Maybe?

Awesome thread! Thanks for making it and keeping it alive and interesting.

Thank you!

Iíll be putting some XT on this beast soon, I might keep it rigid or I might buy my old forks back from Mikeetheviking and get back on it!

Thingamejigger

Are the Wainstones just over that there hill??

XR2/4 combo!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Are the Wainstones just over that there hill??

XR2/4 combo!
    They certainly are, good eye!

Yeah the XR2/XR4 combo is amazing, especially in 3Ē mode. Pretty good in 2.6 too on the Ripley!

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I've read much of this thread but not all, so I might have missed it...

You were running 3.8" Hodags for awhile. Any clearance issues? And this is with a 148mm rear and 73mm BB with ring in the the normal boost position of ~52mm offset?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    I've read much of this thread but not all, so I might have missed it...

You were running 3.8" Hodags for awhile. Any clearance issues? And this is with a 148mm rear and 73mm BB with ring in the the normal boost position of ~52mm offset?

Thank you!
    No the ring isnít in the normal boost position, the ring is flipped. But yes to everything else, the only issue I had was the different chainline once I moved over to 12 speed. The chain would rub on the tyre in the big ring.

mtbr member
    No the ring isnít in the normal boost position, the ring is flipped. But yes to everything else, the only issue I had was the different chainline once I moved over to 12 speed. The chain would rub on the tyre in the big ring.
    With Payton, if I'm not mistaken as I also started re-reading this thread, wasn't the 148mm rear end offset 6mm so that you would have dishless wheels? Similar to Cannondale and their Ai offset system and other companies that are doing it.
    Silly bike things happening.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlands R&C View Post
    With Payton, if I'm not mistaken as I also started re-reading this thread, wasn't the 148mm rear end offset 6mm so that you would have dishless wheels? Similar to Cannondale and their Ai offset system and other companies that are doing it.
    Yes thatís correct.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Thanks for the info! Ok, I think I understand now. Your ring is in the position it would be for a 157 symmetrical rear, but instead of using a 157 hub you are using a 148 with dropouts spaced 6mm to the right of the CL... ?

Did you change the chainring offset when you went to 12spd? From what I gather the Shimano 11 and 12spd cassettes are the same width, with Sram being only 1mm wider. So it doesn't seem like that alone should change your chain/tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! Ok, I think I understand now. Your ring is in the position it would be for a 157 symmetrical rear, but instead of using a 157 hub you are using a 148 with dropouts spaced 6mm to the right of the CL... ?

Did you change the chainring offset when you went to 12spd? From what I gather the Shimano 11 and 12spd cassettes are the same width, with Sram being only 1mm wider. So it doesn't seem like that alone should change your chain/tire clearance.
    Iím sorry, I canít quite remember all of the details because itís been so long since I experimented with the wheel sizes etc. The info is somewhere within this thread though. I didnít change the chainring offset though, I know that much.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    So many gold nuggets in this thread! I've done a bit of searching and found this is post #850 from 3-18-2018:

"The Hodag setup didn't want to play with a One-Up chainring (which I destroyed a few updates back!). The chain was making contact with the tyre and I mistakingly made the assumption that it was the update to Eagle that was the culprit so I sold the Arc 45 wheels as a result. It was only once I changed the chainring back to the Absolute Black that I realised that was the issue."

Sounds like it was ring offset that caused the interference?

mtbr member
    So many gold nuggets in this thread! I've done a bit of searching and found this is post #850 from 3-18-2018:

"The Hodag setup didn't want to play with a One-Up chainring (which I destroyed a few updates back!). The chain was making contact with the tyre and I mistakingly made the assumption that it was the update to Eagle that was the culprit so I sold the Arc 45 wheels as a result. It was only once I changed the chainring back to the Absolute Black that I realised that was the issue."

Sounds like it was ring offset that caused the interference?
    Yes, sorry as I say itís hard remembering exactly what I did! Even I confuse myself! Lol.

mtbr member

Back in the lab...

WNC Native

Back in the lab...
    Finally going rigid and SS. Proud of ya!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Finally going rigid and SS. Proud of ya!
    Ha ha oh you know why itís in the lab and itís quite the opposite!

mtbr member

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Nice !!!

Rippin da fAt
    Obviously, Nitrousjunky was wrong... It's chainless!
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    Obviously, Nitrousjunky was wrong... It's chainless!
    Lol for less drag obviously, no brakes either, this thingís gonna fly again!

Rippin da fAt
    Lol for less drag obviously, no brakes either, this thingís gonna fly again!
    If Danny Mac can ride brakeless...
    Doctor recommended...

Thingamejigger
    They certainly are, good eye!

Yeah the XR2/XR4 combo is amazing, especially in 3Ē mode. Pretty good in 2.6 too on the Ripley!
    Just ordered an XR4 to stick on my bike. Keen to see how it measures up compared to the chuppa's. I had high speed front wheel wash out on my fatbike last time I was out (fortunately on soft sodden grass) so it's spurred me into action for a gripper front on the plusser to avoid it happening in the future!

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Just ordered an XR4 to stick on my bike. Keen to see how it measures up compared to the chuppa's. I had high speed front wheel wash out on my fatbike last time I was out (fortunately on soft sodden grass) so it's spurred me into action for a gripper front on the plusser to avoid it happening in the future!
    Iím still intrigued with this combo. I guess by your username that your riding conditions are similar to Just J?

My Chupas seemed to lack grip in the dry rocky Utah Trails, and seemed a bit more fragile (also lighter). Iím running XR4 front and rear in the west USA.

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by 1 cog frog View Post
    Iím still intrigued with this combo. I guess by your username that your riding conditions are similar to Just J?

My Chupas seemed to lack grip in the dry rocky Utah Trails, and seemed a bit more fragile (also lighter). Iím running XR4 front and rear in the west USA.
    Yeah, we are pretty close, ironically Just J is further north that I. J is riding a bit more mud than me I expect. It's mostly hard pack stuff I do, so want to keep the low rolling resistance of the chupa, but as its now decidedly soggy, and I am going up north to Scotland to do a few rides where mud will come into play, I want faith in the front end.

Just an experiment as I got the XR4 on sale, we can see how I get on; come summer I expect to swap back to chupa front and rear.

Thingamejigger

...Pretty good in 2.6 too...
    Out of interest anyone know what the height difference between the 2.6 and the 3.0?? in the XR4 or chupa

WNC Native
    Out of interest anyone know what the height difference between the 2.6 and the 3.0?? in the XR4 or chupa
    If I remember correctly, the 2.6 XR4 is around 29.75" and the 3.0 XR4 is 30.25".

mtbr member
    Day 1 Self Isolation.

Just thought Iíd check in, hope youíre all fairing well Iím all of this crazy?

I rode the UW2 to work this morning, closed the place down and promptly rode back home.

I put a little more air in the tyres today because Iím out of practice and forgot what I usually run. Ended up with the tyre rubbing on the fork arch.

Iíve been playing with the idea of using UW1ís front wheel for a while, so I swapped it out this afternoon. The results are a lighter, lower drag setup as I kept the Chupacabra on there.

Looking forward to trying it out over the next few days...

Take care guys!

mtbrer
    Beautiful bike J, glad youíre digging it!

Hereís a question: how did you arrive at the steeper seat angle and longer/slacker front end? Did you demo bikes with similar geometry?

I know the long/slack front ends with steep seat angles is the new norm, but Iíve never tried one of those bikes. How does that steep seat tube feel when pedaling on flat terrain?

My olí 29+ Carver Gnarvester (and my SC Tallboy LT) has old school geometry and I wouldnít know any different.
    I was digging thru the history of this thread trying to find the geo of you UW2 frame and I came across this ol post of mine.
    Iím now riding an Alchemy Arktos 29ST. 66.1 HTA and 75.5 STA with longish reach -485mm in XL.

I can, indeed, appreciate the new school geometry.
    (Still havenít found your frameís specs.)
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    I was digging thru the history of this thread trying to find the geo of you UW2 frame and I came across this ol post of mine.
    Iím now riding an Alchemy Arktos 29ST. 66.1 HTA and 75.5 STA with longish reach -485mm in XL.

I can, indeed, appreciate the new school geometry.
    (Still havenít found your frameís specs.)
    Nice bike!

Hereís a recap of UW1 vs UW2 which Iíve never done before, itís amazing what happens when youíve got all the time in the world on your hands!...

mtbrer
    Nice bike!

Hereís a recap of UW1 vs UW2 which Iíve never done before, itís amazing what happens when youíve got all the time in the world on your hands!...

Excellent!
    Thanks for posting those drawings! Sweet machines!
    --Reamer

mtbr member
    The clearance is significantly better than the 34SC although I am currently running the 34 again because my Ripley needed the Pike.

I donít use the lockout but itís fairly firm but not locked out by any means.
    Can you remind me what size tire that is? I'm looking for a 29 x 3.0" fork and I like the Pike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Can you remind me what size tire that is? I'm looking for a 29 x 3.0" fork and I like the Pike.
    Thatís a 29x3.0 Bontrager XR4 and the Pike swallows it with loads of room the spare

mtbr member
    Thatís a 29x3.0 Bontrager XR4 and the Pike swallows it with loads of room the spare
    Awesome. I thought that was what it was, but figured best to ask. Stay safe!

BTW - I am going to post that photo in my HT thread if you don't mind to demonstrate the 29+ clearance of the Pike.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Awesome. I thought that was what it was, but figured best to ask. Stay safe!

BTW - I am going to post that photo in my HT thread if you don't mind to demonstrate the 29+ clearance of the Pike.
    No problem at all thanks Vik!

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789