Trek Stache 9 or Salsa Timberjack?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016

Trek Stache 9 or Salsa Timberjack?

Looking to buy a bike in the next month or two. Which one of the bikes I mentioned is best for XC, dicey trails, bikepacking, and commuting? Both offer a variety of wheelsets, but I am not much a fan of how they come equipped if I purchase the complete bike. I am thinking more along the lines of purchasing the frame and going from there. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Are you looking for a 29+ bike or a 27.5+ bike? That should make your decision for you...

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Are you looking for a 29+ bike or a 27.5+ bike? That should make your decision for you...
    Either. I am probably looking to run it as a 29er to start or 29+ to start but want the option to change the wheelset

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBAtlanta View Post
    Either. I am probably looking to run it as a 29er to start or 29+ to start but want the option to change the wheelset
    Refer back to what bikeny said. I doubt if you could get a 29+ wheel and tire on the Timberjack.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    Refer back to what bikeny said. I doubt if you could get a 29+ wheel and tire on the Timberjack.
    How is the quality in the build of Trek vs Salsa frames?

The Salsa Timberjack is available complete at $999.00 and the Trek Stache 9 frame is $999.00. Do they have margin on the frames themselves or just the complete bike? on another thread I started, I was told they had margins on the Trek bikes and could be looking at up to 20% discount by offering a nonrefundable deposit of 60% down.

Adventure Mapper
    I would get the Stache 5 unless you can afford $3k for the new carbon framed 2017 Salsa Cycles Woodsmoke:
    Finally a 29-Plus, Carbon Hardtail – Salsa Cycles 2017 Woodsmoke – Ride Alongside
    My YouTube channel for MTB content:
    http://youtube.com/RideAlongside

RideAlongside

dmo
    mtbr member
    Any idea if the Woodsmoke can be ordered as frame only?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A build with two or more wheelsets for different types of riding sounds good.
    A Stache will do that. But so will other frames if you don't need a 29+ rear. Many Boost forks will fit 2.8 29+.
    The 2017 Giant XCT 27.5+ carbon has sliding rear drops and width for 27.5+ Some 2.5 or 2.6 29s on 40mm inner rims may fit the rear..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    Salsa's press release says it's designed for a 29x3.0 tire at the longest chainstay setting. That might be a typo since they don't say they'll offer that config as a complete.

Ambassador of Chub
    If you want it in the 'next month or two' you should probably go with the Stache.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Salsa's press release says it's designed for a 29x3.0 tire at the longest chainstay setting. That might be a typo since they don't say they'll offer that config as a complete.
    Think they screwed up and put the Woodsmoke frame details on the Timberjack post. The longest chainstay length mentioned is at the Woodsmoke's chainstay length (which is shorter than the Timberjack goes).
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Think they screwed up and put the Woodsmoke frame details on the Timberjack post. The longest chainstay length mentioned is at the Woodsmoke's chainstay length (which is shorter than the Timberjack goes).
    Bummer. I was hoping the Timberjack would be a non-elevated chainstay 29+ option.
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

WNC Native
    FYI those incorrect frame details are no longer listed on that page today.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew