Trek Full Stache.- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    This place needs an enema

Trek Full Stache.

Amazed that this hasn't broken the internet today.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...reenvisibility

https://www.singletracks.com/blog/mt...mountain-bike/

Anyone else have one on the way?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    And it's even on sale!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I just went down and looked at one on lunch. It's a pretty impressive machine, and I finally got to see the xr4s 3.0s in person. Seems like it would be great in your area mikesee- maybe overkill for mine.

mtbr member
    Just when I think I can get past the funky look of the elevated chainstay they accentuate it to REALLY bring it out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi View Post
    Just when I think I can get past the funky look of the elevated chainstay they accentuate it to REALLY bring it out!
    I laughed at one of the comments from the articles that said it looks like a male dog lifting it's leg to pee.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post

I like this a lot, but I think I like your new bike better!

mtbr member
    Wait.......... you have one of these coming or did you mean any other manufacturers have one on the way? I just saw your new ride.........

mtbr member
    Sweet! This is good!

Love to have the option, although I have to lean towards the farley ex for hub space compatability w my fatty!
    Last edited by Kirkerik; 04-05-2018 at 02:18 PM.
    Studded Dillinger 4/5 For Sale

The tires are the things on your bike that make contact w the trail

Powered by ice cream.
    It is so nice to see this sort of machine from a big mainstream manufacturer. They nailed this bike, IMO and it makes me want to clear out the entire garage and buy one. Well done Trek.
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Expensive for an aluminum bike, but I guess there isn't much to compare it to. Not a huge weight penalty over the hard tail stache which is nice.

I have the 2018 stache 9.7 and it's a beast of a bike that tackles Midwest trails amazingly, I bet this just eats up trail...

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I was considering the HT stache last year, but went in a different direction. I really like the Full stache. Might have to pull the trigger.

Student of the Bike
    I'm a dedicated hardtail rider, and I don't plan to change that any time soon. But I'm definitely getting that "new bike attraction" vibe from this one, and its a strange feeling to me considering its an FS bike. I also find it good that if I ever do decide to go FS, that there is a bike with #'s I like and are combined with my love of the 29+ platform.

Later,
    CJB

mtbr member
    Black electrical tape.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    My question as always:

Does it fit a 275x3.5" tire?
    Work - Utility GIS Analyst
    Party - 2019 Guerrilla Gravity Revved Trail Pistol Sz 3

Space Ghost
    I love the idea of trek implementing this design. My concern would be for lateral flex for aggressive riding. It annoys me that most reviewer/writers want to pigeon hole 29+ as a "back country explorer". I have been running 29+ for over a year in both SS and FS and love it for aggressive technical riding. Also have to agree, i want to demo mikesee's bike!
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    I love the idea of trek implementing this design. My concern would be for lateral flex for aggressive riding. It annoys me that most reviewer/writers want to pigeon hole 29+ as a "back country explorer". I have been running 29+ for over a year in both SS and FS and love it for aggressive technical riding. Also have to agree, i want to demo mikesee's bike!
    From bikemag.com's review - "The elevated chainstay makes that short rear center possible, but it leads to some frame flex. The back end feels vague when you punch it into a berm or pull up at an angle. And in the lower gears, the wheel can actually flex the frame enough that the tire will occasionally rub the chain. After I upgraded to Bontrager's Line 40 carbon rims, I found much of the flex disappeared. But under forceful riding, the flex is still there, and it's not subtle like non-Boost vs. Boost, or Bon Scott vs. Brian Johnson. It's significant, like Axl Rose vs. Brian Johnson."
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Amazing job Trek! Itís so great to see them making these types of bikes( 29+).

The development and innovation in bikes the last 10 years has been incredible. Such a good time to be a rider and bike geek.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    From bikemag.com's review - "The elevated chainstay makes that short rear center possible, but it leads to some frame flex. The back end feels vague when you punch it into a berm or pull up at an angle. And in the lower gears, the wheel can actually flex the frame enough that the tire will occasionally rub the chain. After I upgraded to Bontrager's Line 40 carbon rims, I found much of the flex disappeared. But under forceful riding, the flex is still there, and it's not subtle like non-Boost vs. Boost, or Bon Scott vs. Brian Johnson. It's significant, like Axl Rose vs. Brian Johnson."
    ...so for the most part, it's not really the frame flexing, it's the (rear) wheel.

Make the frame in carbon and that'll pretty much disappear, just like the difference between AL and carbon Staches.

mtbr member
    I saw one today at my LBS. Loved the OD or Coyote Green color (what ever they call it). Did find the lime green chain stay a bit loud though. Impressive looking bike.

turtles make me hot
    Damn... Might buy my first Trek ever.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    That's a cool looking ride. I literally just bought a mojo 3 to compliment my stache (maiden voyage was earlier today) but I'm glad to see trek is pushing the boundaries with this one. That said it is definitely too much bike for my local terrain, but definitely could see this an an excellent exploration bike in areas with vast stretches of wilderness

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Awesome. This is so much what I was waiting for. But $2k for alu frameset is rather expensive.

I bet this bike will sell fast!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    Awesome. This is so much what I was waiting for. But $2k for alu frameset is rather expensive.

Isn't 2k pretty standard stuff for an alu full-suspension frameset?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jonm1211 View Post
    Isn't 2k pretty standard stuff for an alu full-suspension frameset?
    Probably you're right. Maybe I just saw too much discounted FS carbon frames around $2k
    Last edited by Mebaru; 04-06-2018 at 12:44 AM.

turtles make me hot
    I think the Lenz is 2800.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    I think the Lenz is 2800.
    $2,400

I'm really enjoying my behemoth 29+. It's one of those bikes that just feels special and not like some generic mass produced bike.

The full stache is almost exactly what I was looking for earlier this year though. Had it been available, it would have been a very tough choice between the stache and behemoth. I hope I get a chance to ride one

Trek Full Stache.-2.jpg
    Last edited by coke; 04-06-2018 at 09:16 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm waiting for the carbon version!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Same here. Trek probably will roll out a range of 5/7/9.x models in the end of season or next season, if this one will sell well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I'm really enjoying my behemoth 29+. It's one of those bikes that just feels special and not like some generic massed produced bike.
    Very true. But I like that Full Stache frame triangle is rather spacious for a FS bike and should be better suited for singletrack bikepacking with trail riding involved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    i put a pic in over on the trek manufacturer forum of the rear. I doubt it if it's a true 3.5.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It's got some substantial hydroform shaping. I have a feeling it was pretty pricey to build up the first run. It might get cheaper like the regular aluminum stache did though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post

They sold out (to dealers, from the mothership) in a few hours the first day they were available. So I'm told.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    They sold out (to dealers, from the mothership) in a few hours the first day they were available. So I'm told.
    Astonishing. I am so anxious to read first reviews or impressions how it rides!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    My question as always:

Does it fit a 275x3.5" tire?
    I love the idea of trek implementing this design. My concern would be for lateral flex for aggressive riding.
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    How about the Farley EX? Sure it would be stiffer w the wider hubs and fits 4.0 and 29+!

Can anyone who has ridden both platforms in 29+ compare? Either way I'm sure the Full Stache is excellent in it's own w a more "modern" like geometry.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My dealer had 2, they sold the first one sight unseen by phone the day before they officially went on sale and the buyer lived 130 miles from the shop.

Sounds like an early hit at least. It's not a bread and butter bike though so they probably won't go crazy ramping up manufacturing.

rth009
    May 2010
    deleted
    Last edited by rth009; 04-06-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Black electrical tape.

I was thinking spray paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    How about the Farley EX? Sure it would be stiffer w the wider hubs and fits 4.0 and 29+!
    I dont want more hub sizes in my garage. It's bad enough having 135/142/148 bikes around. I like standardization in my garage cuz its cheap.

I also wouldn't get the full benefit of a 29x3 or 275x4" setup because I would only occasionally (bikepacking or dry/sandy months) run those combos. Most of the time I'd be on 29x2.4-2.6 setups.

mtbr member
    I dont want more hub sizes in my garage. It's bad enough having 135/142/148 bikes around. I like standardization in my garage cuz its cheap.

I also wouldn't get the full benefit of a 29x3 or 275x4" setup because I would only occasionally (bikepacking or dry/sandy months) run those combos. Most of the time I'd be on 29x2.4-2.6 setups.
    The problem is a 27.5x3.5 tire and Boost 148 just won't work together, at least not without major drivetrain modifications. You would have to offset the chainline out at the crank and drop a couple of cogs off the cassette and space it out as far as possible, otherwise the chain will rub the tire.

We can agree to disagree. Some of us are ok with increased drivetrain wear and imperfect chainline.

Years ago they would have told us something like a 29x3" 130mm travel full-suspension with "normal" hubs and BB would be impossible, especially from a major manufacturer.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004

There's a lot more to 29+ than its ability to float on gravel and sand.

mtbr member
    does travis ever not look good on a bike?
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

mtbr member

I hear ya! Exactly why i'd like another bike w 197/150 hub spacing as that is what my favorite bike is now. (Share Wheelsets) I do have a couple old 135/100 bikes that i got my money out of. Fortunately I have been waiting to let the hub spacing settle out.

Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    does travis ever not look good on a bike?

It's all in the facial hair. Wonder where they got the name for this model from...

mtbr member
    It's all in the facial hair. Wonder where they got the name for this model from...
    :-)~
    For a rock steady Gas Tank bag > the DeWidget

bit.ly/BuyDeWidget

https://www.instagram.com/drj0n_bagworks/

Adventure Mapper
    Trek's first video of it with Gary as an announcer seemed very strange. Anyone else wonder why they didn't take a different approach to unveiling it? Not sure how well that video will sell the bike for them, but what do I know, I did not go to school for marketing...
    My YouTube channel for MTB content:
    http://youtube.com/RideAlongside

RideAlongside

mtbr member
    We can agree to disagree. Some of us are ok with increased drivetrain wear and imperfect chainline.

Years ago they would have told us something like a 29x3" 130mm travel full-suspension with "normal" hubs and BB would be impossible, especially from a major manufacturer.
    You might be OK with those compromises, but a major manufacturer will not be.

Don't get me wrong, I love that tire size, and my last custom build was spec'ed to fit them. But even with a 157mm rear and an 83mm BB, the chain still rubs a Hodag on a 65mm rim. When running that setup in the winter, I switch to a flat ring instead of the normal 6mm dished and it solves the issue.

Anyway, back on topic: this is a really cool bike. And that's coming from somebody who has not ridden any form of suspension in like a decade!

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

A while back I moved from full suspension back to a hard tail because of boost and plus tires. Plus hard tails are all hard tail without the harsh ride, HT efficiency Is everything to me. I've got the 29er roll over with my 27.5 plus and am happy.

Yep Trek nailed It again but I don't think I'd pull the trigger because I'm doing just fine using my legs for rear suspension.

I just don't want a bike that costs twice as much and Is six pounds heavier than my current bike.
    There Is no way It Is twice the ride...
    ďI seek only the FlowĒ,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I basically agree with you, part of the reason I loved my stache from the get go is it got me back on a hard tail. But, I can sure think of a lot of areas where this would be the ticket and my hardtail gets overwhelmed. I don't ride those much because they aren't "fun", but maybe they would be fun on one of these?

I'm trying to resist the bug. I'm weakening.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Love the new Stache, and you can bet they are already riding carbon prototypes on their grounds and we'll see them soon enough to.

Loud tyres save lives
    Jul 2013
    I didn't want Trek to release a FS Stache as I didn't want this dilemma!

It is tempting to just stick an order in for a frameset but then one of the reasons I love riding my Stache and stopped riding the Fuel is I like the feel of the hard tail.
    2014 Trek Fuel Ex 8
    2015 Trek Farley 6
    2016 Trek Stache 7

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    Trek's first video of it with Gary as an announcer seemed very strange. Anyone else wonder why they didn't take a different approach to unveiling it? Not sure how well that video will sell the bike for them, but what do I know, I did not go to school for marketing...
    I like it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah, I saw a link on the plus forum, nice on Trek to bring this wheel size into the mainstream. Travel is less than my needs, but it looks like a sweet bike,

Iím left rubbing my head as to why folks insist the chainstays on this bike ďmust be flexyĒ. Is it some preconceived notion based on the design?

Nice looking bike for big adventures. Price is quite fair.

... and I really liked that Trek ad, cuz I am most certainly a kook

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I was thinking spray paint.
    Yup, same fugly look as the Devinci, what weíre hey thinking?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Farley EX has less travel, is wider and heavier, so it depends on your needs and willingness to compromise. I would not count on the hub width making the bike stiffer. Both bikes are excellent options.

Can anyone who has ridden both platforms in 29+ compare? Either way I'm sure the Full Stache is excellent in it's own w a more "modern" like geometry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    Would be a cool video, BUT Salsa already had a bike like this, sooooo , not really anything special at this point but more options.
    :nono:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    ...BUT Salsa already had a bike like this, sooooo , not really anything special at this point but more options.
    And Lenz had a 29+ fully 1-2 years before Salsa. More options are good...especially when the number of models in a niche are so small.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Space Ghost
    Quote Originally Posted by Nurse Ben View Post

Iím left rubbing my head as to why folks insist the chainstays on this bike ďmust be flexyĒ. Is it some preconceived notion based on the design?
    I can only base my reason for concern on the only two elevated chainstay design bikes I have ridden recently (can't include the old Nishiki Alien!). I had a brief stint with Stache SS and a Woodsmoke (geared). Both bikes under higher G corners felt flexy. The SS Stache was bad enough to get rid of. I was borrowing the Woodsmoke to see if it did the same thing and although it was less noticeable, I figured going SS it would be similar. I definitely ride less smoothly on my FS and would be concerned that lateral flex would be an issue. As the reports come in, I look to be pleasantly surprised by reports of a stiff frame. If I can demo one (doubtful), I will report back. The bike certainly has what I am looking for. I would gladly purchase Al. too. Just clarifying my concern.

And Lenz had a 29+ fully 1-2 years before Salsa. More options are good...especially when the number of models in a niche are so small.

More like 4 -- but who's counting?

To say that the Salsa 29+ monstrosity has anything in common with this Trek is to compare a Toyota Tacoma to a Peterbuilt 18-wheeler. Sure, they both have wheels...

mtbr member
    More like 4 -- but who's counting?
    Devin gets credit for being at the forefront of a bunch of cool trends.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Devin gets credit for being at the forefront of a bunch of cool trends.

Sure. And, in this case, thanks to Surly bringing the 29+ idea into the light.

mtbr member
    I can only base my reason for concern on the only two elevated chainstay design bikes I have ridden recently (can't include the old Nishiki Alien!). I had a brief stint with Stache SS and a Woodsmoke (geared). Both bikes under higher G corners felt flexy. The SS Stache was bad enough to get rid of. I was borrowing the Woodsmoke to see if it did the same thing and although it was less noticeable, I figured going SS it would be similar. I definitely ride less smoothly on my FS and would be concerned that lateral flex would be an issue. As the reports come in, I look to be pleasantly surprised by reports of a stiff frame. If I can demo one (doubtful), I will report back. The bike certainly has what I am looking for. I would gladly purchase Al. too. Just clarifying my concern.
    was it carbon or alu Stache SS?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sweet! This is good!

Love to have the option, although I have to lean towards the farley ex for hub space compatability w my fatty!
    Comparing the Farley to a Stache is like comparing a capable athlete to a clumsy oaf. (Maybe not quite that drastic) Farley is a bike designed around geometry that encourages traversing backwoods trail. Stache is built around geometry that inspires you to manual, wheelie, jump, rail, etc...

Rebuttal #1: I can do all that on a Farley. True, you can drag race a stock f150 too.

mtbr member
    Agreed. but the video stated TREK pretty much invented the the 29er+ FS.
    :nono:

mtbr member
    Salsa Deadwood is perfect in certain places of the world. how is it a monstrosity? not challenging just inquiring
    fatcamp podcast at fat-bike.com

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemandy70 View Post
    Salsa Deadwood is perfect in certain places of the world. how is it a monstrosity? not challenging just inquiring
    Check the chainstay length, for starters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Stache vs Deadwood

Just speculation, but I'm going to say it's a fun agile style of bike versus a tool to just traverse trail.

I've seen a few local Stache hardtail riders that love their Stache because it's supposedly a nimble, agile bike that begs to be manual'd, wheelied, carved, and jumped. But when I watch these guys ride, they don't do any of that. They just sit and pedal. They have a hardtail that is not harsh on their butt, rolls over anything, and it's got great traction. That's the real reason it's comfortable to them obviously. They're just regurgitating the marketing jargon when they're asked why they like it because they're obviously not riding that way.

Those same style of riders are going to like the Deadwood just fine and not see a need for a Full Stache because they're not going to know the difference in capabilities.

Now someone who jumps, rides off small cliffs (less than 5ish feet, I'd say) manuals through rollers, and pushes the bike in a fun agile way will obviously see the clear advantages of the 130mm travel, short chainstay, longer reach and stack Stache over the Deadwood which is more of a plus size XC bike.

So Full Stache is an agile, longer travel bike for the more daring line oriented rider. Deadwood is more for the sit and spin trail Rider who doesn't necessarily get rowdy.

That said... If you read Treks description, they make it sound like the dual suspension version of the 1120, not the Stache. Stache was marketed as the rowdy hardtail. 1120 is the bikepacker. Full Stache is the rowdy bikepacker? Wha??

Stache, the fun rowdy trail hardtail:

"You're all about fast and fun trail rides with your friends. Stache 7 is a playful 29+ trail hardtail with 3˝ mid-fat tires, a ridiculously capable build, and a robust fork with 120mm of travel. This mountain bike marries fun and confidence. It's a big-wheeled fun wagon ready to go anywhere and take on any trail. The 3˝ mid-fat tires and full carbon frame make it our most fun and capable hardtail mountain bike ever... a fun trail hardtail that holds its own with both the distance-crushing XC crowd and your rowdy trail-riding buddies."

1120, the ultra capable back country explorer:

"1120 is a bikepacker's dream. A rugged all-terrain frame, 29+ tires, an included rack system, and mountain-ready spec like a 1x drivetrain add up to a touring bike with unlimited off-road capability. This bike is built to explore the most extreme backcountry destinations in the farthest reaches of the world, and it's great for fast overnight bikepacking trips and sub-24s, too."

Full Stache, the bikepacker gnarwagon??":

"If you love seeking out the untamed trails in the wild and discovering new lines while ripping bikepacking adventures, Full Stache 8 is your dream ride."
    Last edited by chelboed; 04-08-2018 at 09:52 AM.

mtbr member
    I actually test rode a Deadwood today, my first + bike, on a real trail. I really can't compare it to a stache because I've only ridden one in a parking lot. I love the roll-over capabilities of the bike (came with 2.6 Rekons), but like chelboed said, you really can't get too rowdy on it, you can go fast but not rowdy
    The thing has grip for days, I could brake way later going into a fast and sketchy corners than my Jet 9 with 2.35's.

If I could fit 2.6's on my old Jet 9 RDO I think I'd be set for life, does it mean I have to start looking for a Trail bike capable of running 2.6's rather than buying a Plus bike capable of running bigger tires than I will probably use.
    I think so.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Salsa, not as good at Trek, but at the same price. (Pertaining to the 29+ market)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I honestly think the Full Stache is more "Stache" than "1120", but they know that if they make it look more Stachely on paper and throw the Aggressive & Bikepacker verbage into the description as well, they'll likely score unsuspecting sales on both sides from those who don't know what they want.

Tricky. IMO, Bikepacking on a Full Stache with limited bottle mounts and pannier mounts seems very "untrendy" and would likely get you shunned by your gnarcore plaid, bearded bikepacker group.

It's against the laws these days to bikepack without an anything cage triple bottle mount.

It's a plus bike for riding gnarly.

mtbr member
    Full Stache Likes

Elevated chainstays
    Slack but not too slack HTA
    Pike
    Color
    Drivetrain
    Price

Dislikes

Iím not much of a hater
    But it would be cool to do a frame up with one of these with select components

Happy to see this machine exist on planet earth

sidenote:I have ridden the Deadwood Sus

I liked it

turtles make me hot
    I have a 29+ fully on my short list. Probably my next bike. I didn't care too much for the Salsa but I was really liking the Lenz. I like the Trek as well. Here's my dilemma...
    I'm one of those people who will keep a bike like this a good, long time. I have a Specialized Stumpjumper I originally bought in 2008. About 9 months in, I cracked the frame. They gave me a new frame. Then, I cracked a chainstay. I had to buy that and when I did get it, they told me there were only a few left. I grabbed a second one just in case. I still have that frame and both chainstays but I don't ride it any more. It did bother me though that I wouldn't be able to keep that bike in working order more than two years.
    I would think if I got a Lenz, I would always be able to have a new part made as long as they're in buisiness.
    If I got the Trek, how long would it be before I wouldn't be able to repair it?
    Now... If I were 50 pounds lighter, none of this would matter.
    I like turtles

Had to dig it up: 5 years ago. I never bonded with the Knards but I knew pretty quickly that 29+ was the path forward for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yeah, I saw a link on the plus forum, nice on Trek to bring this wheel size into the mainstream. Travel is less than my needs, but it looks like a sweet bike,

Nice looking bike for big adventures. Price is quite fair.

... and I really liked that Trek ad, cuz I am most certainly a kook
    Wait, 130mm on a 29+ is less than your needs? Where the hell do you ride ?

(I think the bikemag article is where the flexy came from, but then they fixed it with a carbon wheel- so maybe the wheel was the flexy part...)

I got some time on one tonight. Switched back and forth with a friend that was demoing one. Fun, chunky, techy local trails (Moore/Mack). Super impressive bike. Travel felt deeper than expected out back. Didn't notice any rear end flex when riding it, nor when riding behind it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I got some time on one tonight. Switched back and forth with a friend that was demoing one. Fun, chunky, techy local trails (Moore/Mack). Super impressive bike. Travel felt deeper than expected out back. Didn't notice any rear end flex when riding it, nor when riding behind it.
    I won't ask how it compares to your new ride from Walt because I'm sure they're very different animals. But how would you compare the ride of the Full Stace to the Lenz Behemoth having ridden both?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    I won't ask how it compares to your new ride from Walt because I'm sure they're very different animals. But how would you compare the ride of the Full Stace to the Lenz Behemoth having ridden both?

15 minutes on a bike does not give one the capability to compare it to anything else with any level of realism. It's enough to form a knee-jerk reaction, and I've shared that here already.

Space Ghost
    Very glad to hear about the lateral stiffness. I look forward to reading more first hand ride reports.

foresterLV- It was carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    I'm with you on this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Go big or go home!

I rode lots of chunk, at speed, big hits, drops, air time. I can burn up 130mm of travel without much effort. I find 150mm to be the sweet spot, but would take another 10mm up front if I can get it.

I'm waiting on a Ripmo delivery, 29er FS, XR4 2.6, 160mm/145mm, not as short as Mike's new bike, doesn't have the capacity for a true plus tire, but it's got good geo, good suspension design (DW), and it'll be a solid all around bike for my "one bike quiver".

I still have a Hendrix FS Plus as my loaner and a Wozo running 29 x 3 XR4.

Maybe you need to move out West, where everything is bigger

Quote Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
    Wait, 130mm on a 29+ is less than your needs? Where the hell do you ride ?

(I think the bikemag article is where the flexy came from, but then they fixed it with a carbon wheel- so maybe the wheel was the flexy part...)

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Go big or go home!

I rode lots of chunk, at speed, big hits, drops, air time. I can burn up 130mm of travel without much effort. I find 150mm to be the sweet spot, but would take another 10mm up front if I can get it.

I'm waiting on a Ripmo delivery, 29er FS, XR4 2.6, 160mm/145mm, not as short as Mike's new bike, doesn't have the capacity for a true plus tire, but it's got good geo, good suspension design (DW), and it'll be a solid all around bike for my "one bike quiver".

I still have a Hendrix FS Plus as my loaner and a Wozo running 29 x 3 XR4.

Maybe you need to move out West, where everything is bigger
    I live in Idaho- so, pretty out west. I can imagine needing all that suspension on a Ripmo with those tiny tires lol. I'm just funnin' of course. 130 with a full 29x3 just sounds huge.

Some pics from last night's ride. Greg was feeling a bit beat down from a bit of the crud as well as having ridden hard the night before. Still, on his first ride on this bike, he seemed pretty energized by it, hopping and popping and carving and manualing his way along. He was officially demo'ing the bike but my guess is that he went back to the shop and bought it this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek Full Stache.-img_1448.jpg  

Trek Full Stache.-img_1427.jpg  

Trek Full Stache.-img_1382.jpg  

Trek Full Stache.-img_1406.jpg  

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    I rode the full stache 8 about two hours ago. That thing is about 60 pounds with boat anchor tires haha. I only rode it in the alley and parking lot but i could wheelie at will. Now is that good or bad? Not sure, but i bet once you got this thing rolling down something like whole enchilada it would be a runaway freight train. I just see it as a niche bike not a trendsetter. Its probably good for going really slow and rock crawlimg or going INSANELY fast downhill. I wouldnt think it would have much use in the midwest or east coast too tight and fast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post

I only rode it in the alley and parking lot.

I wouldnt think it would have much use in the midwest or east coast too tight and fast
    In my opinion, that type of test ride will tell you almost nothing about how a bike will ride on trails. Almost like forming an opinion of a road bike after taking it on a quick ride through a rock garden

turtles make me hot
    Sounds like the bike for me.
    I like turtles

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    In my opinion, that type of test ride will tell you almost nothing about how a bike will ride on trails. Almost like forming an opinion of a road bike after taking it on a quick ride through a rock garden
    I agree, at least im not that guy who ride sthe bike around the parking lot then buys it! Then sells it a month later haha.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I lived in the southeast for many years, I feel your pain, it kinda sucks to be so far removed from the kind of riding this bike is designed for.

But thereís hope! I moved back out to the west four years ago, now I get to ride all the cool stuff whenever I want.

Maybe youíll get to move someday, until then youíll just have to dream

Cool bike!

I rode the full stache 8 about two hours ago. That thing is about 60 pounds with boat anchor tires haha. I only rode it in the alley and parking lot but i could wheelie at will. Now is that good or bad? Not sure, but i bet once you got this thing rolling down something like whole enchilada it would be a runaway freight train. I just see it as a niche bike not a trendsetter. Its probably good for going really slow and rock crawlimg or going INSANELY fast downhill. I wouldnt think it would have much use in the midwest or east coast too tight and fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    It is actually is only 32lbs for a 19", so not all that heavy for what kind of bike the Full Stache is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFsvuwycmEg

Nov 2015
    I lived in the southeast for many years, I feel your pain, it kinda sucks to be so far removed from the kind of riding this bike is designed for.

But thereís hope! I moved back out to the west four years ago, now I get to ride all the cool stuff whenever I want.

Maybe youíll get to move someday, until then youíll just have to dream

Cool bike!
    I am in Arizona for winter training. I would love this bike for out here because i love to climb tech gnar. Its just not a xc race bike which is all i can afford right now. I was more saying that since i kmow the trails in the Midwest and east coast i would eliminate this bike from your thoughts if you live there. That includes Asheville and vicinity. Now out west, northwest, this thing is probably a MONSTER. I can just imagine climbing up Milagrosa in Tucson on this thing. Then bombing back down. I would be very careful if you are not an experienced rider because when this thing gets going its going to be a runaway freight train. I would not buy this under the reallm of buying skill like most people try to do. Stick to a fuel ex or remedy for that. This is like a 1000cc sportbike, just because you can buy it doesnt mean you should. However if you have skill and ride this bike you can probably do outrageous joy inducing things. Vs just hanging on for dear life. Ya it probably rolls over EVERYTHING, literally, that can be good and bad i would think. I rode the Salsa Deadwood during outside onlines bike test in Tucson and that thing is also a beast but more for keeping the wheels on the ground at all times. This stache is for sky is the limit riding, if you have the balls its ready for any gap you can find, any rock garden, tech climb, drops, tricks, whatever.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by danglingmanhood View Post
    It is actually is only 32lbs for a 19", so not all that heavy for what kind of bike the Full Stache is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFsvuwycmEg
    32lbs seema about right, it felt like 60 compared to my 19lb hardtail. It was a 19.5 i rode. If they offered a 5 grand 28lb carbon that would be amazing. You cant call a 32lb bike a bikepacking rig though, loaded up it will be over 40lbs. Thats a lot to push uphill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Y'all crack meet up... act like they forgot to spec brakes on it or something...runaway freight train...1000cc sport bike...get real.

Only for experienced riders? Heck, plus bikes tame the trail so inexperienced riders can ride it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am in Arizona for winter training. I would love this bike for out here because i love to climb tech gnar. Its just not a xc race bike which is all i can afford right now. I was more saying that since i kmow the trails in the Midwest and east coast i would eliminate this bike from your thoughts if you live there. That includes Asheville and vicinity. Now out west, northwest, this thing is probably a MONSTER. I can just imagine climbing up Milagrosa in Tucson on this thing. Then bombing back down. I would be very careful if you are not an experienced rider because when this thing gets going its going to be a runaway freight train. I would not buy this under the reallm of buying skill like most people try to do. Stick to a fuel ex or remedy for that. This is like a 1000cc sportbike, just because you can buy it doesnt mean you should. However if you have skill and ride this bike you can probably do outrageous joy inducing things. Vs just hanging on for dear life. Ya it probably rolls over EVERYTHING, literally, that can be good and bad i would think. I rode the Salsa Deadwood during outside onlines bike test in Tucson and that thing is also a beast but more for keeping the wheels on the ground at all times. This stache is for sky is the limit riding, if you have the balls its ready for any gap you can find, any rock garden, tech climb, drops, tricks, whatever.
    Drugs are bad.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    You cant call a 32lb bike a bikepacking rig though, loaded up it will be over 40lbs. Thats a lot to push uphill.
    That's not true. A lot of bikepacking specific bikes have steel frames and fat wheels. Add a suspension fork and you easily go over 30lbs without gear. Saving a few pounds with carbon frame won't make your ride a lot more easier, especially on multi-day trips where you have to carry a big supply of water and food.

Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    ...so for the most part, it's not really the frame flexing, it's the (rear) wheel.

Make the frame in carbon and that'll pretty much disappear

If it's the rear wheel, how does changing frame material solve it?!

Hyperbole, and a half.

mtbr member
    Are you suggesting carbonium is not magically able to solve all of your life's problems Mike?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Nov 2015
    A 32lb bike with 130mm of travel and 29 x3.0 tires is an accident waiting to happen for inexperienced riders who will get a false sense ofconfidence based on the bikes ability to conquer anything. They will then try stuff above their level and get into a jam. I see it all the time on bikes even like a Hightower and things like that. Nobody is buying this bike to ride smooth flat trails. Thats my opinion. Make fun of me, make stupid commens, do whatever you want from your positions of high bike authority. Ill leave you all to be experts.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    A 32lb bike with 130mm of travel and 29 x3.0 tires is an accident waiting to happen for inexperienced riders who will get a false sense ofconfidence based on the bikes ability to conquer anything. They will then try stuff above their level and get into a jam. I see it all the time on bikes even like a Hightower and things like that. Nobody is buying this bike to ride smooth flat trails. Thats my opinion. Make fun of me, make stupid commens, do whatever you want from your positions of high bike authority. Ill leave you all to be experts.
    This happens going from a walmart bike to a decent mountain bike. This concern is kind of lost. Mountain biking is one of the sports where designing them around peoples arrogance and ignorance isnt possible.

But literally saw this same arguement come up with fat bike suspension and so on. Most new riders arent going to drop the coin for one of these. And if some do and get in over their head....

WHY IS IT THE BIKE'S FAULT???

Never understood blaming inanimate objects for the poor choices of the people that own them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That's an impressive video, mainly because he rode it like a 29+ (i.e. just charged it). Thanks for sharing that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I only have one question for you: How does a bike like the Stache rate being compared to a superbike or as a bike for experienced riders only? My Fatillac weighs more than the Full Stache, has more travel, and shorter chainstays, and my newbie brother rode it and slayed the trail!

I struggle to find an example of a bike that only benefits expert riders. I have put countless people on pro level bikes from fat to DH and as long as the bike is functional and the rider knows how to do the basics (brake shift, balance), they can ride the bike. Go to a bike park and watch the newbies rent DH bikes and ride down the hill, it totally works.

I think you are acting a bit like "chicken little".

As far as I'm concerned, the Full Stache is no different than a regular Stache, but with rear squish. It is certainly much tamer than the endure/DH bikes sold by Trek and others.

I could see the Stache being a great all around bike for many terrains and riders, just the right mix of design and function to suit the needs of moderate to expert terrain. It's not really an XC bike, but then neither is any bike with plus tires and more than 100mm of suspension.

I'd put my wife or daughter; both very novice riders, on a Full Stache without a second thought. I think this bike would make a great Moab rental.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    A well designed 29er does not have to ride tall, long, and and unwieldy.

This is kinda the point of the Stache and this is likely why Mikesee named his wheel building service the way he did (Lacemine29). Obviously he likes big wheels, but he's been a big wheel since before it was cool. Insight, trial and error, doing it.

Big wheels work, it's why 27.5 has more or less obliterated the 26" market, and it is why there are some many folks rolling wagon wheels.

All one needs a few moments on a well designed 29er to see the light.

I would much rather ride my Wozo as a 29+ than my Hendrix as a 27+, in nearly all situations because it is faster, better rolling, and more stable. I only ride FS because they are more comfortable on long rides, they can take bigger hits, and they accommodate slow rolling steep tech better.

This bike is gonna be a big hit.

That's an impressive video, mainly because he rode it like a 29+ (i.e. just charged it). Thanks for sharing that.

Nov 2015
    I only have one question for you: How does a bike like the Stache rate being compared to a superbike or as a bike for experienced riders only? My Fatillac weighs more than the Full Stache, has more travel, and shorter chainstays, and my newbie brother rode it and slayed the trail!

I struggle to find an example of a bike that only benefits expert riders. I have put countless people on pro level bikes from fat to DH and as long as the bike is functional and the rider knows how to do the basics (brake shift, balance), they can ride the bike. Go to a bike park and watch the newbies rent DH bikes and ride down the hill, it totally works.

I think you are acting a bit like "chicken little".

As far as I'm concerned, the Full Stache is no different than a regular Stache, but with rear squish. It is certainly much tamer than the endure/DH bikes sold by Trek and others.

I could see the Stache being a great all around bike for many terrains and riders, just the right mix of design and function to suit the needs of moderate to expert terrain. It's not really an XC bike, but then neither is any bike with plus tires and more than 100mm of suspension.

I'd put my wife or daughter; both very novice riders, on a Full Stache without a second thought. I think this bike would make a great Moab rental.
    Ive ridden in Asheville, bentonville, stillwater, palo duro canyon, las cruces new mexico, tucson, phoenix, the azt, and prescott since November lol. Ya maybe someday ill leave my moms basement. I hold the kom climbing up Milagrosa on rdo hardtail with 2.2 tires. I dont need to buy skill. However ive seen many many many many many people buy way too much bike thinking the bike will give them skill. Then they hurt themselves. All i was saying is this bike is a bike that fits that "oh, if i have the full stache i can ride anything" category. At no point did i say this wasnt a sweet bike and awesome concept and ive already stated if i had the money i would have bought the one i test rode. Im just trying to have a balanced duscussion. Suddenly im a drug addict. Tha s asinine. Sorry for giving my opinion from multiple perspectives. Im unsubscribing from this thread you can all go back to being the best. So dont keep quoting me because i dont need my phone getting notifications.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    This particular bike isn't going to be purchased by an inexperienced person without some wierd salesmanship going on. This bike is mainly going to be for people who know precisely what they wanted and have been watching for it. There may be a small percentage who buy on a lark, but it's too expensive and wierd (and rare for now). Try explaining why this is worth $500 more than a Fuel EX8 or $300 more than a 27.5+ to someone who's not sure if they even like the sport yet.

Mountain biking is a dangerous sport. If you don't wreck once and a while, you aren't progressing. If it makes you feel better, it's ok to blame the bike- it doesn't mind.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ive ridden in Asheville, bentonville, stillwater, palo duro canyon, las cruces new mexico, tucson, phoenix, the azt, and prescott since November lol. Ya maybe someday ill leave my moms basement. I hold the kom climbing up Milagrosa on rdo hardtail with 2.2 tires. I dont need to buy skill. However ive seen many many many many many people buy way too much bike thinking the bike will give them skill. Then they hurt themselves. All i was saying is this bike is a bike that fits that "oh, if i have the full stache i can ride anything" category. At no point did i say this wasnt a sweet bike and awesome concept and ive already stated if i had the money i would have bought the one i test rode. Im just trying to have a balanced duscussion. Suddenly im a drug addict. Tha s asinine. Sorry for giving my opinion from multiple perspectives. Im unsubscribing from this thread you can all go back to being the best. So dont keep quoting me because i dont need my phone getting notifications.
    Ok jokes up, you work for Specialized...

mtbr member
    This bike looks good for: WA, OR, CA, ID, UT, NV, MT, WY, CO, AZ, NM

Except for : Green, Blue, Flow, and Boring trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Well, I suppose you're right, maybe I need to cut back on the Kombucha.

But seriously dude, you got multiple people responding to your statements and they all said the same thing.

That should make you scratch your head and go hmmmm.

Just saying.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    See, that's where you are very wrong.

People buy a bike because they get on it and it rides the way they want to ride.

I have not ridden this bike, but I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years.

I have bought bikes without a demo, I have also not bought bikes because of a demo.

Like a nice fitting pair of shoes, if it feels right it will sell.

Ask yourself how this bike is selling and you might learn a thing or two. Based on reports, I believe they are sold out.

This particular bike isn't going to be purchased by an inexperienced person without some wierd salesmanship going on. This bike is mainly going to be for people who know precisely what they wanted and have been watching for it. There may be a small percentage who buy on a lark, but it's too expensive and wierd (and rare for now). Try explaining why this is worth $500 more than a Fuel EX8 or $300 more than a 27.5+ to someone who's not sure if they even like the sport yet.

Mountain biking is a dangerous sport. If you don't wreck once and a while, you aren't progressing. If it makes you feel better, it's ok to blame the bike- it doesn't mind.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    See, that's where you are very wrong.

People buy a bike because they get on it and it rides the way they want to ride.

I have not ridden this bike, but I've ridden a lot of bikes over the years.

I have bought bikes without a demo, I have also not bought bikes because of a demo.

Like a nice fitting pair of shoes, if it feels right it will sell.

Ask yourself how this bike is selling and you might learn a thing or two. Based on reports, I believe they are sold out.
    Ya, I'm one of the people on the last page reporting on the dealer sales. As I said they sold the first 1 sight unseen to a guy who lived 150 miles away over the phone. I'm not talking about "people"- I'm talking about inexperienced bike riders. New mountain bike riders always try to save a buck.

This bike won't appeal in a parking lot test. It will feel draggy compared to an ex8. Beginners rarely pop the $50 to test on real terrain

So again, unless there is some unusual salesmanship, I don't see this going to inexperienced riders in most cases.

So I've bought a new mtb every 3-4 years since 1987 and I live out west, any more challenges you feel l need to pass before I have an opinion?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I assumed that was a tongue in check statement; ie carbon frames are so amazing, they even fix wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Y'all crack meet up... act like they forgot to spec brakes on it or something...runaway freight train...1000cc sport bike...get real.

Only for experienced riders? Heck, plus bikes tame the trail so inexperienced riders can ride it.
    No need to be thin skinned. Also no need to antagonize people with personal attacks like people are doing to you. I think that making a blanket statement about noobs destroying themselves on a $3600 bike is possible, but nowhere close to the norm and as exaggerated as a statement like putting noobs on pro level bikes countless times. Nothing is countless, hehehe. It's only countless because you forgot to count them.

Like someone saying..."Oh my staff is just amazing!" No they're not. You have a few high performers and the rest are adequate.

It's only a dangerous bike because you assume everyone who mounts up is unaware of their capabilities.

I think people just have verbal diarrhea these days. This post confirms that fact. 😂

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No test to pass, the proof is in the pudding.

This bike will be as successful as the Stache, possibly more so because it will appeal to a broader group of riders.

If itís successful, you can send me a picture of you eating a shoe, and if itís not successful Iíll send you a picture of me eating a book

Ya, I'm one of the people on the last page reporting on the dealer sales. As I said they sold the first 1 sight unseen to a guy who lived 150 miles away over the phone. I'm not talking about "people"- I'm talking about inexperienced bike riders. New mountain bike riders always try to save a buck.

This bike won't appeal in a parking lot test. It will feel draggy compared to an ex8. Beginners rarely pop the $50 to test on real terrain

So again, unless there is some unusual salesmanship, I don't see this going to inexperienced riders in most cases.

So I've bought a new mtb every 3-4 years since 1987 and I live out west, any more challenges you feel l need to pass before I have an opinion?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    No test to pass, the proof is in the pudding.

This bike will be as successful as the Stache, possibly more so because it will appeal to a broader group of riders.

If itís successful, you can send me a picture of you eating a shoe, and if itís not successful Iíll send you a picture of me eating a book
    Dude, you need to read closely. When did I EVER say it wouldn't be successful? I said this bike wouldn't appeal to new riders and I gave reasons. I DIDN'T say it would be BAD for new riders, or experienced riders or anyone else. You keep quoting me without reading what I wrote.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it sells well. But again, I think it's going to people with some experience who know what they want in a bike (for the most part) or at minimum with experienced friends guiding them

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I donít really expect a picture of you eating a shoe

Dude, you need to read closely. When did I EVER say it wouldn't be successful? I said this bike wouldn't appeal to new riders and I gave reasons. I DIDN'T say it would be BAD for new riders, or experienced riders or anyone else. You keep quoting me without reading what I wrote.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it sells well. But again, I think it's going to people with some experience who know what they want in a bike (for the most part) or at minimum with experienced friends guiding them

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Cool, I really don't want to mail you an Easy Reader either

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Easy and big letters, eyes are getting old.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Bike Magazine have tested it and created a nice video -
    Bike Test: Trekís Full Stache 8 Shreds into Uncharted Territory, on YouTube.
    At about 2.30 minutes you can see many little white "impacts" on the seatstays and also on the seat tube. One can only hope that this is some kind of dirt or something else and not that the Full Stache has also the same bad paint quality like the Slash 9.9 RSL...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by petejupp View Post
    Bike Magazine have tested it and created a nice video -
    Bike Test: Trekís Full Stache 8 Shreds into Uncharted Territory, on YouTube.
    At about 2.30 minutes you can see many little white "impacts" on the seatstays and also on the seat tube. One can only hope that this is some kind of dirt or something else and not that the Full Stache has also the same bad paint quality like the Slash 9.9 RSL...
    I watched that video and thought it looked like a bike that had been ridden the way it was intended, and those are beauty marks as far as I'm concerned.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    I watched that video and thought it looked like a bike that had been ridden the way it was intended, and those are beauty marks as far as I'm concerned.
    THIS!

It's a mountain bike. It's going to get scratched. Put an 80's skateboarding sticker over it and ride-on!!

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Everyone - I Pruned some posts that included personal attacks.

Make your points without accusing others of being on drugs or drunk, calling names, etc.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Everyone - I Pruned some posts that included personal attacks.

Make your points without accusing others of being on drugs or drunk, calling names, etc.
    Pruned posts... What, are you on drugs?!?

Thanks man. This is a good thread with lots of good info without that crap.

mtbr member
    Was down in Tucson today and got to check out a large full stache. Very nice. I've never even thought about getting a Trek before but the full stache has me thinking...do I buy a complete or just the frame (and headset and stem)?

mtbr member
    If a new bike warranty is appealing to you a complete new bike would be ideal. Buying a complete bike new will most likely save you quite a bit of time and money overall. If you did a frame up you could go all out and turn this thing into a dream machine.

When this bike is released as a carbon 9 or 9.8 or whatever that would really warrant a dream build.

The current spec is hard to beat for the average rider.

However itís very very easy to imagine what you could turn this thing into with a dreamy wheelset

Iím stoked to see Trek doing awesome stuff like this

I feel overall this is superb bang for the buck

If you priced out all the components for this bike individually you couldnít come close to getting all of it for this price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeetheviking View Post
    If a new bike warranty is appealing to you a complete new bike would be ideal. Buying a complete bike new will most likely save you quite a bit of time and money overall. If you did a frame up you could go all out and turn this thing into a dream machine.

When this bike is released as a carbon 9 or 9.8 or whatever that would really warrant a dream build.

The current spec is hard to beat for the average rider.

However itís very very easy to imagine what you could turn this thing into with a dreamy wheelset

Iím stoked to see Trek doing awesome stuff like this

I feel overall this is superb bang for the buck

If you priced out all the components for this bike individually you couldnít come close to getting all of it for this price.
    I think the suspension is good and the drivetrain is pretty adequate. I'm pretty sure I'd change the brakes, wheelset, tires, saddle, bars, and stem.

A cockpit is a very personal fit...especially as long as I've been in the cockpit. Tires are too heavy and a little overkill for my region. Brakes? I like XT...I'm smitten. Wheelset is heavy and I can't stand straight g spokes and generic hubs. Seatpost is a wash. I'm sure it functions adequately, but I'd love to boutique it out with a KS carbon to save weight, or a Bike Yoke just for reliability's sake...but as I said, the house brand crap is likely adequate.

You could build this bike under 28#

You could build this bike under 28#

I won't say never, but that's a really tall order -- assuming we're talking legitimate plus wheels and tires. And if you were able to get close I'd bet you'd be looking at ~$8k. Probably more.

I built one from the frame up. Not so much with a weight weenie mentality, but with a "what works well" view, with weight secondary to price. Pike, carbon bars, DT hubs, butted spokes, Duroc rims (which are actually really light), XT group. It ended up at 32#. I bet I could get it to ~30# with some compromises, and a a few thousand more $$$$.

When you start with an 8# frame/shock combo, you can only go so far.

turtles make me hot
    30 pound 29+ fully would be perfect for me. My Krampus weighs about 31.5 pounds and it doesn't feel heavy to me. I hover around 250 give or take 15 pounds so a 32 pound bike is about right for me.
    I like turtles

mtbr member

I built one from the frame up. Not so much with a weight weenie mentality, but with a "what works well" view, with weight secondary to price. Pike, carbon bars, DT hubs, butted spokes, Duroc rims (which are actually really light), XT group.
    Pics please. Also, did you keep the knock block stem?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I won't say never, but that's a really tall order -- assuming we're talking legitimate plus wheels and tires. And if you were able to get close I'd bet you'd be looking at ~$8k. Probably more.

I built one from the frame up. Not so much with a weight weenie mentality, but with a "what works well" view, with weight secondary to price. Pike, carbon bars, DT hubs, butted spokes, Duroc rims (which are actually really light), XT group. It ended up at 32#. I bet I could get it to ~30# with some compromises, and a a few thousand more $$$$.

When you start with an 8# frame/shock combo, you can only go so far.

According to Bikemag, the Full Stache is 33.4#.

Save 0.8# going tubeless.

Line Pro wheelset: 1830g (2515g for the stock OEM Bontrager- Hub, OEM sleeved Duroc rimmed wheelset) Saved 755g or 1.7#

XR4 tires are 1100g. XR2 is 870. All that times-2x is 460g saved, or 1.01#.

So we've got a stock basic build with an upgraded wheelset, tubeless, and XR2 tires and we're already down to 29.19#.

I don't think it will take an act of God to hit 28#. If you start from a frame-up build, you could in theory do a Fox float and save weight, but I like the PIKE myself. I know Bontrager house brand crap is kinda heavy. The saddle is a boat anchor. I don't think the bars / stem are anything to scream about.

Heck, you can save a 1/2# moving to XT brakes and they can be found pretty cheap. (0.61# saved to be exact...now down to 28.58#)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    If it's the same line dropper post as the normal stache, I think that's almost 3/4 lb too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    I actually test rode a Deadwood today, my first + bike, on a real trail. I really can't compare it to a stache because I've only ridden one in a parking lot. I love the roll-over capabilities of the bike (came with 2.6 Rekons), but like chelboed said, you really can't get too rowdy on it, you can go fast but not rowdy
    The thing has grip for days, I could brake way later going into a fast and sketchy corners than my Jet 9 with 2.35's.

If I could fit 2.6's on my old Jet 9 RDO I think I'd be set for life, does it mean I have to start looking for a Trail bike capable of running 2.6's rather than buying a Plus bike capable of running bigger tires than I will probably use.
    I think so.
    I fit 29x2.6 Nobby nics on my Ď13 Trek Rumblefish. The frame actually fit a 29x3 Dirt wizard but the non-boost fork didnít have the clearance. What year is you Jet 9? I have 29x2.6 on my Ď17 Jet 9 with plenty of clearance.

mtbr member
    Took a 19.5" Full Stache for a parking lot test today. The suspension felt great over curbs and down a set of stairs. Even in the parking lot test the low POE hub was noticeable. I would also feel better with a shorter stem and wider bars.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think Iíll keep it

Trek Full Stache.-b508eb0e-b9ee-4e95-9a75-18641b0ed0cc.jpg

Swapped wheels, Duroc 40/DT 350/XR4 x 3Ē, disabled the Knock Block temporally so I could use the bar/stem from the Wozo until my new bar and stem arrive. Bike comes with a 60mm stem, I found a knock block 50mm on eBay; 40mm are no where to be found.

Bike in a size large comes with 175mm cranks, 6000 series aluminum DUB, which are way too long for me, so theyíll be swapped for 165mm GX.

I ran it in the low position, stock 130mm Pike, Iíll probably bump it to 140mm though Iím curious how a 44mm offset would ride.

In a large frame, 175mm cranks, 32Ē inseam, I easily have the room for 175mm Dropper.

If the Fatillac is the short chainstay monster truck of BFat, the Full Stache is the short chainstay monster truck of 29+. This bike hauls arse, obliterates chunk, laughs at drops, blows through scree like a hot knife through butter. Itís my kind of bike.

Oh, and to the poor saps who called the Trek Superstores this weekend hoping to find a size Large Full Stache only to learn it had been sold... yeah, that was me

Next shipment arrives mid summer, what a bummer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    This is almost the prefect bike for me. And I say almost because I would prefer it to be at least 140 rear (160 front would be welcome) and also for the XL size I would like a much shorter seat tube than 520mm in order to use a longer dropper post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I thought the same until I rode it. I switched from getting a Ripmo 160/150 to the Full Stache, previously rode a 150/150 Fatillac. I wouldnít refuse more travel out back, but I donít feel like I need it. Oddly enough, the 130 up front feels way more usable than the 130 on the front of my Hendrix; same fork.

Quote Originally Posted by gpgalanis View Post
    This is almost the prefect bike for me. And I say almost because I would prefer it to be at least 140 rear (160 front would be welcome) and also for the XL size I would like a much shorter seat tube than 520mm in order to use a longer dropper post.

According to Bikemag, the Full Stache is 33.4#.

Save 0.8# going tubeless.

Line Pro wheelset: 1830g (2515g for the stock OEM Bontrager- Hub, OEM sleeved Duroc rimmed wheelset) Saved 755g or 1.7#

XR4 tires are 1100g. XR2 is 870. All that times-2x is 460g saved, or 1.01#.

So we've got a stock basic build with an upgraded wheelset, tubeless, and XR2 tires and we're already down to 29.19#.

I don't think it will take an act of God to hit 28#. If you start from a frame-up build, you could in theory do a Fox float and save weight, but I like the PIKE myself. I know Bontrager house brand crap is kinda heavy. The saddle is a boat anchor. I don't think the bars / stem are anything to scream about.

Heck, you can save a 1/2# moving to XT brakes and they can be found pretty cheap. (0.61# saved to be exact...now down to 28.58#)
    Iím telling you that I started with most of that: carbon bars, XT brakes, light wheels and saddle, and itís 32#. Chupas would indeed drop a bunch but theyíd fundamentally change the ride, not always for the better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'd like to see that build out.

My poor 2016 21.5 regular stache weighs just a hair under 30 right now mainly because of the tires (minions).

It does seem that the full stache is begging for XR4/Minion size rubber.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Agreed, I would never run Chupas on the Full Stache, the bike is far more capable than the Chupa; hell, the Stache is more capable that a Chupa. You'd have to run high pressures on the Chupas to prevent slop and you most assuredly are going to flat those tires if you ride the bike at it's potential. XR4 or Minions.

I'm gonna get a weight on mine this week, not that I care (I don't), but for those who want to know I'll cave.

Full carbon with a carbon frame; if they build it, would certainly get you to the vaunted 28ish#. I think you all worry to much about weight. Performance has it's costs. An XC bike would be lighter, as would a road bike

Personally, I'm more curious about how it would ride with a reduced offset fork.

Iím telling you that I started with most of that: carbon bars, XT brakes, light wheels and saddle, and itís 32#. Chupas would indeed drop a bunch but theyíd fundamentally change the ride, not always for the better.

mtbr member
    I also highly doubt a 28 pound build would be possible, without either spending a ton of money or making too many compromises.

For comparison, the build below for my FS 29+ came in at 29.12 pounds, but it started with a frame that from what I've read was probably around a pound lighter than the full stache.

Derby AM 40i Rims
    P321 Hubs
    Sapim cx-ray
    Fox Factory dropper, fork, & shock
    X01 Eagle shifter, derailleur, chain, and cassette
    Next SL g4 cranks with 30t ring
    29x3.0 Bontrager XR2
    XTR Race Brakes with 180 f/r
    XTR pedals
    Specialized S-Works Power Saddle
    Syntace Megaforce 2 Stem
    Enve Bars
    ESI Grips

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Agreed, I would never run Chupas on the Full Stache, the bike is far more capable than the Chupa; hell, the Stache is more capable that a Chupa. You'd have to run high pressures on the Chupas to prevent slop and you most assuredly are going to flat those tires if you ride the bike at it's potential. XR4 or Minions.

I'm gonna get a weight on mine this week, not that I care (I don't), but for those who want to know I'll cave.

Full carbon with a carbon frame; if they build it, would certainly get you to the vaunted 28ish#. I think you all worry to much about weight. Performance has it's costs. An XC bike would be lighter, as would a road bike

Personally, I'm more curious about how it would ride with a reduced offset fork.
    I actually like the Chup's so far. I run them at 15'ish and haven't burped anything on drops and they haven't really squirmed on me. I'm not riding DH in Colorado though. I'm riding Midwest where I have to essentially pedal my whole ride. The ups are punchy and the DH's are very short. This is why weight matters here. No matter what though I think the bike even in stock form would be fun..

Full carbon with a carbon frame; if they build it, would certainly get you to the vaunted 28ish#.
    I don't know why it would be "vaunted". I just threw that number out there because I think it would be do'able. It's not a braggart comment...so being judged as vaunted is senseless.

I think you all worry to much about weight.
    I don't worry about it at all. I do know however that a 29# bike feels way worse than a 24# bike on our trails. I don't get to experience that climb for a couple hours / descent for 45 minutes feeling, so there's never a point where saving weight is not worth it unless you go stupid light and blow your bike out on one of the idiotic 5'-to-flat drops that some of the people think are okay to build around here. (I hate drops to flat )

Anyhoo...fun bike, hope to see more life experience instead of having to speculate so much.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks for your input, I'm sure Trek will review all of our comments before they plan for the bikes revision in the coming months.

I actually like the Chup's so far. I run them at 15'ish and haven't burped anything on drops and they haven't really squirmed on me. I'm not riding DH in Colorado though. I'm riding Midwest where I have to essentially pedal my whole ride. The ups are punchy and the DH's are very short. This is why weight matters here. No matter what though I think the bike even in stock form would be fun..

I don't know why it would be "vaunted". I just threw that number out there because I think it would be do'able. It's not a braggart comment...so being judged as vaunted is senseless.

I don't worry about it at all. I do know however that a 29# bike feels way worse than a 24# bike on our trails. I don't get to experience that climb for a couple hours / descent for 45 minutes feeling, so there's never a point where saving weight is not worth it unless you go stupid light and blow your bike out on one of the idiotic 5'-to-flat drops that some of the people think are okay to build around here. (I hate drops to flat )

Anyhoo...fun bike, hope to see more life experience instead of having to speculate so much.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I saw the Full Stache today. As it comes out of the box, it is a boat anchor. But a quick viewing of the bike as is shows that it could loose 3-4lbs easily. Switch out the Bontrager dropper to a FOX Transfer, the saddle, the whole cockpit, possibly the brakes (from a review I saw, they are underpowered anyway), definitely the wheels (and not to something from Bontrager), possibly the tires (WTB Ranger in 3" are great on my Stache SS), and that should do it! Or just wait for the 9.8, which will come at some point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Nothing wrong with the brakes and the frame does not flex. Ya gotta read reviews with an eye to the reviewer; ie do they typically ride plus or fat?

The pads needed bedding-in, mine were atrocious out of the box. A little vertical and they stopped just like Guides. The Guides are a very common brake, it would be exceedingly unusual for them to work on other bikes and not in this one.

Frame flex ďimprovedĒ by swapping to stiffer wheels, yeah, Mikesee mentioned that comment earlier in this thread. Iím a big guy, was sticking all kinds of weird, off camber, flat landings and the frame was solid. Again, stiffening the frame by changing wheels really doesnít make sense. The ďremainingĒ flex was imagined or in the tires. Quite frankly, this 8# frame is quite burly.

But hey, believe the reviews, thatís what they get paid for 😜

Itís the same weight as my Hendrix.

You could certainly cut weight by installing lighter tires, upping the carbon factor, etc...

Iím in $4500 with wheels, cranks, stem, bars, pedals, Iíll probably build a skinny wheelset with XR4 2.6 for epics, maybe get a 170-175mm Dropper, or not.

So does anyone know if there is a 29+ fork with a 44/46mm offset? I read about there being reduced offset forks, but I canít find specifics.

mtbr member
    Anyone running a full stache with regular (non-plus) cranks? I ask because I spend lots of time climbing so if I can move the chainring in a bit I find my drive train typically lasts longer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Umm, you realize there are only a few Full Stache in existence, right?

I know of two, my large in Carson City and a medium in Grand Junction. One medium was sold in San Diego and an XL is for sale at the Trek Superstore in San Diego. It also sounds like there are a couple for sale in Arizona.

The PF BB on the Full Stache will work with any crank as long as the arms clear the chainstay. Not sure why you'd need a narrower chainline, I have no problem with the standard offset SRAM DUB Descendent cranks, I can backpedal in the 50t for as long as I want without skipping or dropping into a smaller cog.

I think a Race Face would have a narrower Q, but you wouldn't know unless you try it.

I'm changing cranks to a GX Eagle DUB 165mm, but the offset and BB are unchanged.

Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    Anyone running a full stache with regular (non-plus) cranks? I ask because I spend lots of time climbing so if I can move the chainring in a bit I find my drive train typically lasts longer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Now that the new Stumpjumper has come out and Specialized claims it will take a 29 x 3.0 tire, what are everyone's thoughts vs the Full Stache?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjcobra View Post
    Now that the new Stumpjumper has come out and Specialized claims it will take a 29 x 3.0 tire, what are everyone's thoughts vs the Full Stache?
    Conlifcting info...... See the thread I started yesterday. Maybe will clear *some* 2.8's is the info I've gotten so far. Multiple websites (including Spec) appear to have it wrong or at least worded very confusingly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not surprised, the suspension design needed to clear a really tall tire is not something most mfgs are doing for "fun".

My thoughts: If Specialized designs a bike for 29+ and the chainstays are 335mm+, you can't really compare it to a Full Stache, the bikes are just too different.

Short chainstays and 29+ are unique, which makes the Full Stache unique, which is why I bought one.

Conlifcting info...... See the thread I started yesterday. Maybe will clear *some* 2.8's is the info I've gotten so far. Multiple websites (including Spec) appear to have it wrong or at least worded very confusingly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My answer from Specialized:

Am I reading the info on the new Stumpjumper 29 correctly ?Can it really take a 29 x 3.0 tire?

Thank you so much for reaching out! Yes, you are correct that bike is advertised to fit up to a 3.0 tire in both the 27.5 and the 29 wheel sizes. Have a great day!

Best,

Morgan

I'm still a bit dubious. My LBS doesn't have one yet to check it.

mtbr member
    I mean the Full Stache was a nice bike, but it's so last week. Why are we even talking about it still?
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    From the Specialized website: "both 27.5 and 29 frames can fit up to 3.0" tires" and "You'll still want to check with your fork manufacturer to make sure a high-volume tire can fit, but this should be music to everyone's ears." -- Doesn't appear to "have it wrong or worded confusingly."

New SJ has a 437mm chainstay length. New Full Stache has a 427mm chainstay length. 10mm isn't much. The questions are; what are the front centers and rear center on both bikes. Specialized lists front center for the new SJ but Trek doesn't--neither have the rear center information. The bottom bracket on the new Full Stache does appear to be closer to the rear than the new SJ.

Yesterday I rode the new Full Stache around a parking lot. Not much of an impression except for the weight (It was a boat anchor). This is a fairly inexpensive bike at $3700 full pop. Review on Bike Mag says frame and wheels are both flexy.

The new SJ Expert build is $5500 for a full carbon frame AND carbon wheels. The review posted on MTBR says the frame is noticeably stiffer from previous bike.

Therefore, we will have to wait for proper reviews on the new SJ to see if it is as good as it appears. That said, to upgrade the new Full Stache to reduce its problematic weight issues and eliminated the flexy wheels would cost more than the price difference between these two bikes. Let the games begin!

--I own a 2017 aluminum Stache built up as a single speed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    From the Specialized website: "both 27.5 and 29 frames can fit up to 3.0" tires" and "You'll still want to check with your fork manufacturer to make sure a high-volume tire can fit, but this should be music to everyone's ears." -- Doesn't appear to "have it wrong or worded confusingly."
    This is exactly why I said to look at the thread I started yesterday (because I found that same info already). Here's the link.... You'll also see mention of the ones that are worded confusingly (other websites, not spec).

I have a local dealer saying "100% it will NOT fit, the specialized website is WRONG". I'm not saying I'm right...... but I'm leaning right now towards believing what someone who has the bike on his floor and has attempted to test fit a 29x3 is telling me over what may be copy/pasted between Specialized 27.5/29 model websites...... at least until someone can confirm once and for all. I posted a question on their Facebook page on the announcement thread earlier... haven't seen a reply yet.

He's been trying to sell me a bike for years and is my go-to shop.... unfortunately (for him) I've had no interest in Spec or his other brand. He know's I'm only interested in 29x3 compatibility right now.... so he has no reason to lie to me.... if it fits he knows I'd probably be down there with my $$ on the counter ASAP.

mtbr member

Am I reading the info on the new Stumpjumper 29 correctly ?Can it really take a 29 x 3.0 tire?

Thank you so much for reaching out! Yes, you are correct that bike is advertised to fit up to a 3.0 tire in both the 27.5 and the 29 wheel sizes. Have a great day!

Best,

Morgan

Missed this reply..... interesting... I guess I'm just gonna have to see it with my own eyes. Like I said above my dealer is saying "no way it will fit" and he's been waiting for me to buy something from him for a while! Maybe he just doesn't like me (entirely possible).

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    This is exactly why I said to look at the thread I started yesterday (because I found that same info already). Here's the link.... You'll also see mention of the ones that are worded confusingly (other websites, not spec).

I have a local dealer saying "100% it will NOT fit, the specialized website is WRONG". I'm not saying I'm right...... but I'm leaning right now towards believing what someone who has the bike on his floor and has attempted to test fit a 29x3 is telling me over what may be copy/pasted between Specialized 27.5/29 model websites...... at least until someone can confirm once and for all. I posted a question on their Facebook page on the announcement thread earlier... haven't seen a reply yet.

He's been trying to sell me a bike for years and is my go-to shop.... unfortunately (for him) I've had no interest in Spec or his other brand. He know's I'm only interested in 29x3 compatibility right now.... so he has no reason to lie to me.... if it fits he knows I'd probably be down there with my $$ on the counter ASAP.
    I am not a fan of Specialized any more or less than I like any other bicycle brand out there. That said, I would find it highly unlikely Specialized would misrepresent their product in this way. If they claim it can fit 3.0" tires in the rear without problems, it probably does. Why don't you go down to your LBS and mount a 3.0 tire on a 34-40mm wheel and find out for yourself.

mtbr member
    Umm, you realize there are only a few Full Stache in existence, right?
    Yeah, but I also saw that Mikesee said the frames sold out immediately so I figured guys are building them up.
    I'm really enjoying my half plus Canfield Riot and think I would enjoy it more with a plus rear tire so the full stache has me interested.
    I'm also not familiar with PF BB's and the stories of creaking have me a bit nervous about pulling the trigger.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So much angst over the little things, PF B.B.s are fine, certainly not a reason to dismiss a bike.

Is 10mm difference in chainstay length noticeable? Yes, very much so, thatís the difference between a Mutz and a Hendrix; good luck getting a Mutz to manual.

Flex, what Flex?

Donít believe what you read in reviews. The same guy who said the frame was flexy, then changed wheels and said the flex improved. Does that even make sense? It wasnít the frame, doh!

The only thing Iíd say negative about the Full Stache is the rear end is hefty.

Taken as a whole package, itís s nice bike if you want a 29+ full suspension bike.

But like Vic said, the Full Stache is so much yesterdayís news

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Donít need to do that much work, just use s tape measure and see how much space the bike has in the swing arm. A 29 x 3Ē XR4 has a radius of ~ 15.5Ē, add 1/2Ē for mud clearance. Width is just shy of 3Ē on a Duroc 40mm rim.

Report back with pics, air down the shock and cycle the suspension of theyíll let you, measure clearance of the stock 29 x 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    I am not a fan of Specialized any more or less than I like any other bicycle brand out there. That said, I would find it highly unlikely Specialized would misrepresent their product in this way. If they claim it can fit 3.0" tires in the rear without problems, it probably does. Why don't you go down to your LBS and mount a 3.0 tire on a 34-40mm wheel and find out for yourself.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Best,

Morgan

So I'm looking at the first look article here on this site and they have a picture captioned with 29x3 would be mighty tight. I hope it's true though, I'd love to have some options. I could see it maybe fitting a chupa but definitely not an xr4 or minion based on that picture.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    NurseBen,
    Please do us a favor and keep the condescending comments to a minimum. Most of us here are just trying to learn and share information. Please see the below comments from you on this page alone. No need to reply back about me finding something better to do than to cut and paste peoples responses. Thanks in advance.

"But seriously dude, you got multiple people responding to your statements and they all said the same thing."

"See, that's where you are very wrong."

"Thanks for your input, I'm sure Trek will review all of our comments before they plan for the bikes revision in the coming months."

"Umm, you realize there are only a few Full Stache in existence, right?"

"So much angst over the little things,"

turtles make me hot
    At least he's not calling us assholes like the guy in the RSD Big Chief thread.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    At least he's not calling us assholes like the guy in the RSD Big Chief thread.
    Yikes. You wonder if these folks would be so inflammatory if these conversations occurred in person.....

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum1 View Post
    Yikes. You wonder if these folks would be so inflammatory if these conversations occurred in person.....
    I bet not even a little.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For me itís not so much about being inflammatory as it is fighting misinformation.

Itís amazing how powerful a few off handed comments in a review can be and how the public responds to these comments.

I drove twenty hours to get my Full Stache. I test rode the bike and spent a few hours tweaking the bike before bringing it home. I then rode the bike back to back on trails I know.

... and yet the misinformation continues to flow from folks who have never seen the bike outside of an online review.

Is it condescending to criticize people who spout misinformation?

In person Iím a sweetheart, but I have my opinions and I stand by what I know and experience.

Do you honestly believe that Mike Curiak or myself would ride a bike that sucks? Iím not Mike, but if Mikey likes it, that means something.

ďCondescendingĒ comments aside, I generally enjoy discussing new bikes on MTBR, though admittedly I have a handful of folks blocked; as Iím sure sone folks have blocked moi

Back to the topic at hand: all my build parts arrive today, GX Eagle DUB cranks 165mm, 26t oval chainring, 50mm knock block stem, Chromag Fubars 35mm, 140mm air shaft, and some pretty yellow pedals.

Already had a front flat, to big to patch, so it got plugged. Hopefully it was an anomaly, otherwise Iíll be going back to Minions.

Iím holding off on trying a reduced offset crown, not necessary at this point. Bumped the flip chip to high, which should offset the increase in fork travel.

Iíll get some solid B.B. height and pedal clearance which will make the bike much more backyard friendly.

Once the knock block is reinstalled, I gotta decide how to make it more friendly, might try to increase the cut out in the top cap so the rotation is a little friendlier to tight turns in tech.

Note that the CS is shortest in the high position.

70ís in the high desert all weekend, gotta love spring. Epic ride is coming to Carson, gonna ride sweep, it gives me more time to smell the 🌺

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum1 View Post

mtbr member
    For me itís not so much about being inflammatory as it is fighting misinformation.

... and yet the misinformation continues to flow from folks who have never seen the bike outside of an online review.

Dude you are killing me with this stuff. In one thread you are asking for help understanding fork offsets while admitting you have no clear grasp of the subject and in another you are proclaiming 29+ bikes without a low offset fork won't ride well as if you were an expert on the topic.

I agree misinformation is bad, but clean up your own yard before you get on your neighbour's case about theirs.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not sure what you mean? I ask questions to learn.

I have yet to say anything thatís untrue? Having only ridden 29ers with the larger offset, I canít say that I know how different offsets ride.

The folks claiming smaller offsets are better are industry folks, if anything Iím questioning whether itís marketing bs.

I think Walt and others did a fine job of teaching the course.

So Vik, itís Fruday, maybe post less and go for a ride?

Dude you are killing me with this stuff. In one thread you are asking for help understanding fork offsets while admitting you have no clear grasp of the subject and in another you are proclaiming 29+ bikes without a low offset fork won't ride well as if you were an expert on the topic.

I agree misinformation is bad, but clean up your own yard before you get on your neighbour's case about theirs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

itís Fruday, maybe post less and go for a ride?
    You have over 20 posts in this thread and you feel like you're being defensive in about half of them like you're waiting for someone to rub your new precious through the rhubarb. The guy who tested this for Bikemag is a VERY good rider who tests a lot of bikes and he's fast. He probably did feel frame flex and wheel flex combined and he's good enough to notice. Changing the wheel made it less flexy over all- whats the problem here- it was a positive review. And he owns a regular stache so he's not anti-29+. And read the comments on the video if you haven't yet- particularly his response to the question about his wrist getting hurt.

I don't recall anyone in here saying anything unfairly negative. The bike is an outlier - it's only natural for people to point out the positive and the negative.

So, Nurse, heal thyself- get in some bike rides. Congrats on your new toy, no one will attack it while you take a break. I'll do the same on my regular stache.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Am I the only one lol'ing at the train wreck that this thread turned into?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Am I the only one lol'ing at the train wreck that this thread turned into?
    No, you're not. I'm probably not helping. Sorry. Wonder what size tires are ideal for jumping a dumpster fire?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    No, you're not. I'm probably not helping. Sorry. Wonder what size tires are ideal for jumping a dumpster fire?
    I donít know. Probably depends on how short your chainstays are. Anything longer than 435 will probably result in failure.

Student of the Bike

Itís amazing how powerful a few off handed comments in a review can be and how the public responds to these comments.

I drove twenty hours to get my Full Stache. I test rode the bike and spent a few hours tweaking the bike before bringing it home. I then rode the bike back to back on trails I know.

In person Iím a sweetheart, but I have my opinions and I stand by what I know and experience.

Do you honestly believe that Mike Curiak or myself would ride a bike that sucks? Iím not Mike, but if Mikey likes it, that means something.

ďCondescendingĒ comments aside, I generally enjoy discussing new bikes on MTBR, though admittedly I have a handful of folks blocked; as Iím sure sone folks have blocked moi

Back to the topic at hand: all my build parts arrive today, GX Eagle DUB cranks 165mm, 26t oval chainring, 50mm knock block stem, Chromag Fubars 35mm, 140mm air shaft, and some pretty yellow pedals.

Already had a front flat, to big to patch, so it got plugged. Hopefully it was an anomaly, otherwise Iíll be going back to Minions.

Iím holding off on trying a reduced offset crown, not necessary at this point. Bumped the flip chip to high, which should offset the increase in fork travel.

Iíll get some solid B.B. height and pedal clearance which will make the bike much more backyard friendly.

Once the knock block is reinstalled, I gotta decide how to make it more friendly, might try to increase the cut out in the top cap so the rotation is a little friendlier to tight turns in tech.

Note that the CS is shortest in the high position.

70ís in the high desert all weekend, gotta love spring. Epic ride is coming to Carson, gonna ride sweep, it gives me more time to smell the 

I rarely ever get involved when the mud starts being slung. But I do have to comment that you (Nurse Ben) seemed to have handled that criticism very well. I expected you to come back with full fury and you didn't IMHO.

That being said, I wanted to also give my take (and possibly others?) on what it looked like to me.

Your replies came across to me as more of a confirmation bias based on the fact that you just purchased the bike (Full Stache). I.e. you just unloaded the money (and drove hours to get it) thus you needed to broadcast how good of a decision it was and how other perspectives where seemingly less valid. Whether, that was in fact true or not, I did agree that you were generally coming across a bit defensive.

As for MikeSee, he's an interesting one for me. As someone who has been hanging around the 29er scene since the very early 2000's, I've followed Mike closely for many years. I sorely miss the early days of the grungy 29er (only) forum. Additionally as a (former) frame-builder I've followed his travails thru his range of bike builds nearly 2 decades now. He's had many bikes and ridden them in a multitude of situations, and the one thing I've determined from my observations is that he and I don't have the same views on what we like/want/ride. I TOTALLY TRUST his perceptions...but I also know they ARE NOT FOR ME. We like different things, are sensitive to different things and generally ride different types of things. Thus he doesn't usually influence my perception on things too much when I'm out gathering information.

Nonetheless I hope things get back on track.

Cheers,
    CJB

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    All I can say is 420!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    All I can say is 420!!
    The ideal chainstay length for a FS 29+ bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The ideal chainstay length for a FS 29+ bike?
    I was reefer ing to the headset component!
    My brain went from "you probably shouldn't say that" to WTF!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Itís unfortunate when threads go awry, I think it undermines their value.

But this is an Internet forum with a bunch of anonymous folks posting from many walks of life, and under a wide range of circumstances.

Long weekend for me, putting up 600í of fence, going riding first, tweaking on the bike late last night, didnít get the air shaft swapped, but did discover that the SRAM Descent crank is not DUB; itís a much smaller diameter, so I need a B.B. to go with my GX DUB
    165mm cranks

Swapped in a Line 50mm stem and a 35mm Chromag Fubar, Oval 26t chainring, and moved the flip chips to high. Of note, the stock Dropper on a large frame is 125mm, got a 170mm ordered; One Up, should be interesting.

Once the high country melts out Iíll probably swap to a 2.6 unless thereís a worthy 2.8; lI love 3Ē tires, but for long rides itís a lot of tire to haul around.

From the back porch:

Trek Full Stache.-872ea05f-bcf9-45b6-8ca1-3bb2a32e8bee.jpg

mtbr member

But this is an Internet forum with a bunch of anonymous folks posting from many walks of life, and under a wide range of circumstances.

Long weekend for me, putting up 600í of fence, going riding first, tweaking on the bike late last night, didnít get the air shaft swapped, but did discover that the SRAM Descent crank is not DUB; itís a much smaller diameter, so I need a B.B. to go with my GX DUB
    165mm cranks

Swapped in a Line 50mm stem and a 35mm Chromag Fubar, Oval 26t chainring, and moved the flip chips to high. Of note, the stock Dropper on a large frame is 125mm, got a 170mm ordered; One Up, should be interesting.

Once the high country melts out Iíll probably swap to a 2.6 unless thereís a worthy 2.8; lI love 3Ē tires, but for long rides itís a lot of tire to haul around.

From the back porch:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	872EA05F-BCF9-45B6-8CA1-3BB2A32E8BEE.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	1194129
    Nice view. As I finished my ride today a guy was starting his ride on his new full stache. It was his first ride so he did not have any feedback but was very stocked as he said he loves his stache but has dreamed of a full suspension version.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

165mm cranks

From the back porch:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	872EA05F-BCF9-45B6-8CA1-3BB2A32E8BEE.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	1194129
    So what really is the point of getting the Full Stache if you could get a snappy fun dually that's running 2.6?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So what really is the point of getting the Full Stache if you could get a snappy fun dually that's running 2.6?
    Short chainstays and capacity for 3Ē tires is the draw of the Full Stache.

But I hear ya, the Full Stache is kind of a lateral move from a Fatillac, had my finger on the trigger for a Ripmo, but didnít want to wait and the ya gotta admit, Full Stache is pretty cool.

Still trying to decide how much tire I really want, thneed, pretty much set on 29, want one bike to rule them all..

Did a solid ride today, 20+ miles and 4K climbing, rode the XR4 x 3Ē, which kinda cooked me considering the ride, so I swapped to XR4 x 2.6, gonna ride those for a bit once my B.B. shows up; 165mm cranks.

I did get some chain rub on the tire, itís something I think warrants a non boost chainring option unless youíre running 2.6 tires.

I started the ride in the high position, flipped to low and preferred the feel. Gonna bump the fork to 140mm tomorrow night and ride it like that for a bit. The 130/130 stock travel ainít bad, mist folks would probably like it the way it comes.

Line 50mm lock block stem and 750 x 35 bars ride nice. The Lock block isnít a problem, I did some very tight switchbacks, the kinds that require a creeping sort of track stand, and I didnít hit the stops.

Stock suspension is sweet, havenít needed to lock it out, set the pressures and adjusted the fork rebound, then left it alone.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Ben, have you thought about trying the XR2s?

After thousands of (sometimes very fast) miles in the SW on Chupacabras/XR2s, I'm a little curious about the need for big slow knobs on a 3" tire...seems like they would just make it roll slower.

"for the most part"

Reading be fundamental.

As in, the line pro wheels are significantly stiffer than the stock wheels, but an alloy frame is never going to be as snappy as carbon...and as we all know, an elevated chainstay design loses a little stiffness. But you knew that, didn't you?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The snow covered peak to the left is the back side of Heavenly. The TRT goes through the ski resort. I was riding Clear Creek trail earlier today, its being extended, weíll be able to ride from the valley floor to Heavenly, connecting with the TRT.

Nice view. As I finished my ride today a guy was starting his ride on his new full stache. It was his first ride so he did not have any feedback but was very stocked as he said he loves his stache but has dreamed of a full suspension version.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

After thousands of (sometimes very fast) miles in the SW on Chupacabras/XR2s, I'm a little curious about the need for big slow knobs on a 3" tire...seems like they would just make it roll slower.

I've had my Stache since August of last year. Been riding stock Chupacabras the whole time. I gotta admit, I like the tires. I'm 215# running 15psi and I think they perform fine. No squirm. I like to ride hard. I like to tool around too. Running Arc40 wheelset makes them plenty stout in the corners for me.

I ride light in the saddle. I'm not a bulldozer. Been riding a hardtail most of the time since 1996. (I've had plenty of duallies during that time, but still always own and ride a hardtail or rigid)

I ride rocky, chunky terrain. Sharp stuff, rim killers...I think riding light in the saddle and focusing on picking a smart line makes a difference as to how your tires serve you.

I write an article/thread years ago to help new riders with tips and tricks that we seasoned old farts often take for granted. One thing I studied quite a bit was watching new riders/not-so-bright riders just bulldozer into baby-heads and roots without any weight transfer or finesse. Not that I'm a skill monster or anything, but I think the XR2 is more tire than people give it credit for.

If I never shred it, then I must not be riding hard: not necessarily.

If you're shedding it, then you're riding like a hack: possible, maybe not though

mtbr member
    As I patiently wait for the carbon version, I will comment on my opinion of the Chupacabra's. I am running Chups on my 9.8 Stache and the Minion DHF/DHR combo on my Stache 7. I have very little confidence in the Chups on loose over hard especially the combination of pine straw, leaves, and sand over hard pack as the little knobs just can't find any grip. I also have issues climbing long, steep, loose hills that require standing up in low gear.
    The Minions just rail on almost everything and climb like a goat. I do feel the weight of the heavy bastards though.....
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team/Eagle 1x12
    2015 Scalpel Carbon Team #2
    2017 Stache 7
    2016 Boone RSL
    2016 CAAD 12

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The Chupas donít have the traction for the type of riding I do, nor is the casing resilient enough to handle stupid abuse.

The Chupas are a fine tires, great balance of volume, traction, and low friction, but itís not a tire Iíd run in the park, through scree fields at speed, or downhill on loose soils.

If the Chula is your kind of tire, more power to you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    1996? Is that s long time ago?

I was riding bmx in the 70ís, the old school stuff, throwing table tops, 360ís, big air on little tires without suspension, bunny hopping 2-3í back before trials was a thing. We used to ride around pitching into trash cans with pegs; and get chased by the cops. Ah, those were the days.

Iíve rdden unicycles down stuff that most people walk, bikes are nothing.

Maybe I should write an article too

I've had my Stache since August of last year. Been riding stock Chupacabras the whole time. I gotta admit, I like the tires. I'm 215# running 15psi and I think they perform fine. No squirm. I like to ride hard. I like to tool around too. Running Arc40 wheelset makes them plenty stout in the corners for me.

I ride light in the saddle. I'm not a bulldozer. Been riding a hardtail most of the time since 1996. (I've had plenty of duallies during that time, but still always own and ride a hardtail or rigid)

I ride rocky, chunky terrain. Sharp stuff, rim killers...I think riding light in the saddle and focusing on picking a smart line makes a difference as to how your tires serve you.

I write an article/thread years ago to help new riders with tips and tricks that we seasoned old farts often take for granted. One thing I studied quite a bit was watching new riders/not-so-bright riders just bulldozer into baby-heads and roots without any weight transfer or finesse. Not that I'm a skill monster or anything, but I think the XR2 is more tire than people give it credit for.

If I never shred it, then I must not be riding hard: not necessarily.

If you're shedding it, then you're riding like a hack: possible, maybe not though

I think the XR2 is more tire than people give it credit for.

Totally agreed -- it's my go-to rear tire ~85% of the time. Fast, light, durable. But sometimes it's just not enough. Fortunately, for those times, we now have the XR-4.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ben, you really gotta chill. You're not the only person that's been alive in the 70's. Keep bragging if you want man, but your attempt to be alpha is annoying.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Donít be so serious, no cares that we do what we do except us. So maybe Iím a hack, but Iím having fun, so Iím a funny hack

Back to bike talk: Swapped air shafts to 140mm, gonna leave it in the low position, heading out for a quick loop with a solid climb and a rocky descent.

Enjoy whatís left of the weekend.

Ben, you really gotta chill. You're not the only person that's been alive in the 70's. Keep bragging if you want man, but your attempt to be alpha is annoying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Donít be so serious, no cares that we do what we do except us. So maybe Iím a hack, but Iím having fun, so Iím a funny hack

Good point...and good reminder.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Oh yeah, the Trek Full Stache comes alive!

Stock fork increased to 140mm, flip chips in low, 26t oval + 10-50 Eagle, XR4 2.6

Climbs and handles awesome, descends like a big boy bike, just enough travel to handle big hits, never felt the need to lock out the suspension when climbing.

This bike is a plumb!

Would I take carbon for another 1k? Yes, but it needs to be light like the Slash, these big boned bikes are hauling enough wheel weight, frames should by light; 5-6#.

After trying a number of tire combos, Chupas, XR4 3Ē and 2.6Ē, I feel like the best all day tire for big climbs and big descents on an FS plus bike is the 2.6, for mellower terrain, multi day rides, I could ride the Chupas or a combo Chupa/XR4.

So Iím gonna keep the 2.6Ē on the Full Stache and the 3Ē on the Wozo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    So what I guess I don't understand is...you've taken a Full Stache and turned it into a Fuel EX, seen surprised that it comes alive now... Except it's heavier.

Why not just buy a Fuel EX and run 2.6" tires?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Short chainstays and capacity for three inch tires is what shortages the two.

Yeah, itís a heavy frame, but at least it wasnít expensive.

Iíd opt for a different frame, one that is lighter, if there was a better option.

So what I guess I don't understand is...you've taken a Full Stache and turned it into a Fuel EX, seen surprised that it comes alive now... Except it's heavier.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Short chainstays and capacity for three inch tires is what shortages the two.

Yeah, itís a heavy frame, but at least it wasnít expensive.

Iíd opt for a different frame, one that is lighter, if there was a better option.
    No, I definitely get it. 3"capacity and short stays... But you aren't using the 3"capacity and the Fuel EX stays are only 5mm longer. This post is helpful in the fact that a parking lot test won't be sufficient. Riding up and down stairs won't answer the Q either.

I think for me, this is a definite "demo day" decision. If I feel as you do...the 3" tires turn it into too much of a dog, I would decide against it and look to the Fuel EX or one of just about any dually 29'er trail bike. So many more doors open there.

If I come back with the sensation that 3" tires are fine on it...then I'd use it for its intended purpose and monster truck the heck out of it.

Just reading what I've read about it steers me totally clear of a blind buy.

So for that Ben, I thank you. This was helpful.
    Last edited by chelboed; 04-23-2018 at 10:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    No, I definitely get it. 3"capacity and short stays... But you aren't using the 3"capacity and the Fuel EX stays are only 5mm longer. This post is helpful in the fact that a parking lot test won't be sufficient. Riding up and down stairs won't answer the Q either.

I think for me, this is a definite "demo day" decision.

This is where I am, but the demo day has to be in the right place too. I'm fascinated by this bike and the engineering is impressive. But for the trails I normally ride, I'd be way overbiked for all but 15%. And the demo days are always at the same trails. One of those places where they do a lot of demos has some built features with rocks and drops, but thats not where this is going to shine. I think I'll need to do a 2 day rental and go to the desert to see how this fits. It would probably be worth a $100 to make sure it's what I want.

All of that is played against the fact that a lot of new bikes will hold a real 29x2.6 pretty comfortably, which may be 'close enough' for me on a FS. Anyway- sounds like I have at least until August or so before I have to worry about making a decision.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yup, that's about it, there's no magic in the ride or suspension, Trek, Specialized, Ibis, etc.. they can all build a decent short travel 29er.

Capacity for a tall tire like 29 x 3 and sub 430mm chainstays, that's the primary draw.

Other mfgs could do it, but non are doing it. If I only end up riding 2.6, then yeah, there lots of other choices with chainstays close to the same length (432-435).

If I had to buy this bike based solely on a parking lot test.... not sure I'd have done it, but I'm glad I did, it's gonna be a fun bike to ride and the price is fair.

It is certainly a monster truck, 2.6 or 3", it's a beast for bombing stuff, last night it slayed a bunch of ugly rocky dh that was half blind and equal nasty, so much fun to slash my through rock and sage, sliding the back end on scree, barely stay in the track.

I think for me, this is a definite "demo day" decision. If I feel as you do...the 3" tires turn it into too much of a dog, I would decide against it and look to the Fuel EX or one of just about any dually 29'er trail bike. So many more doors open there.

If I come back with the sensation that 3" tires are fine on it...then I'd use it for its intended purpose and monster truck the heck out of it.

Just reading what I've read about it steers me totally clear of a blind buy.

So for that Ben, I thank you. This was helpful.

build a decent short travel 29er.

130mm = short travel now?

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    The Chupas donít have the traction for the type of riding I do, nor is the casing resilient enough to handle stupid abuse.

The Chupas are a fine tires, great balance of volume, traction, and low friction, but itís not a tire Iíd run in the park, through scree fields at speed, or downhill on loose soils.

If the Chula is your kind of tire, more power to you.
    I didn't see your frame of reference for 3.0 XR2s in this thread.

After 5,000+ miles on them in Ely, Las Vegas, SW Utah, Prescott and Flagstaff, I just don't see a weakness in XR2s. My other bike has Minions mounted up, so I'm not against aggressive treads in general.

I've cut one tire, which was my fault and I knew I screwed up the moment it happened, and it's not as if we don't have plenty of sharp rocks to scrape against here. We have WTB 27+ tires mounted on some of our rentals, and those are either very delicate or the customers are especially ham fisted, even though they don't manage to cut sidewalls at the same rate on rental Staches with XR2s. The WTBs, those I don't trust. Not sure how the construction of XR2s and XR4s differs either, since they're both listed as having "inner strength" construction.

So without a frame of reference to your experience with them, it seems like you're judging by appearances because both in my perception and objective results, they're as good, or better than traditional aggressive tires.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Okay, how about shorter than some

I'll blame it on advertising.

So short does not equate to insufficient. Sometimes less is more. I think the Full Stache has just to right amount for how I ride.

I had a great ride last night, braaap!

130mm = short travel now?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    For those who have ridden the Full Stache, how does it compare to a 2014 Fuel Ex7? Still have my Fuel but am super curious about the Full Stache.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Does anyone know the maximum seatpost insertion length for this frame? I'm eyeing 185mm and 200mm droppers, I wonder if they'd fit in size L?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    For those who've ridden the Full Stache: I've spent some time on a Stache HT and - for me - didn't like the riding position of sitting up on the bike rather than in it. Does the Full Stache ride the same way?

For those who've ridden the Full Stache: I've spent some time on a Stache HT and - for me - didn't like the riding position of sitting up on the bike rather than in it. Does the Full Stache ride the same way?

That's going to depend on where you place your contact points. Plus feel is quite subjective.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Like Mike said, contact points matter. So was the stem low? Stack is not high on the Full Stache, raising the bars could change that feel, shorter cranks, dropping the seat.

The 125mm stock dropper on the large Full Stache is not enough, I have a 170 on order.

I placed all three stock spacers under the stem, changed from a 60mm to a 50mm stem, and went from a flat bar to a +25mm. Waiting on a bb for 165mm cranks.

I did a solid after work ride last night, 3k climb, technical single track, nice long descent, ~fifteen miles and 2.5 hrs in the saddle, and the bike felt great, really railed the corners, bike responds well to a forward body position.

I do find that the bike rides rough over chunk at speed, running 2.6 certainly makes it rougher than 3". I played with tire pressure and suspension pressures, still got some room to soften things up, might pull a volume spacer or two.

I have very little time on a Stache.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast